The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Zoom 9010 vs 9030?
Old 3rd November 2018
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by part12studios View Post
Yea the instrument source was a K2500RS synth l
You made the right choice. I bought the AN1x for the low price of $450 (and I'm certainly not unhappy) but as an industrial music fan the K2500 is perfect. I went to raves in the 90s and do love the rave sounds but my ideal music is filled with distortion, lo-fi, samples and craziness. So I don't really like anything manufactured after the 90/2000s. I've got much better distortion "baseboard rattling" BASS from my CS1x/CS2x (run though a 'capacitor modified' haha effects processor) than either my AN1x or Korg R3 much later and better technology. The perfect sound is the ocean and it's not linear nor computed. Cest la vie! I miss the beach. Wrong time of year now but I'm going to relax - eventually.
Old 5th November 2018
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

well i sold off the k2500.. sunk a lot of money into it to max it out but thankfully was able to find a buyer to break even.. powerful synth for sure, but a bit too powerful for my time..

AN1x looks pretty nice. I used to have a DJX and loved that thing.. i was from the same generation of hardware, but obviously not quite as powerful as a synth with as many synthy knobs.. a really fun instrument, but just needed to thin out the studio.

I hope to hear back in the next week or so about the phase 1 of the 9030 restoration.. so i know if i can then move forward with the capacitor stuff.
Old 9th November 2018
  #33
BHW
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
I still have my 9010, bought new when they blew them out for a grand. Great reverb but the distortion ain't no big thrill. It has a DI input and plugging a guitar into it sounds brittle, the distortion effect doesn't respond well to dynamic playing and is noisy as heck. Most presets were followed by a gate. However, my Monologue has distortion in it and I can tell it would also sound lousy on guitar... but it sounds terrific on the synth. Will have to try running it through the 9010.

as you are a longtime user of the 9010, may i ask you how do you use it on a stereo source with the whole horsepower. because none of the routings match this type of situation?
Old 9th November 2018
  #34
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
as you are a longtime user of the 9010, may i ask you how do you use it on a stereo source with the whole horsepower. because none of the routings match this type of situation?
Not sure I understand the question. That's about the only way I use it. I send the 9010 a stereo signal through 2 aux sends on the mixer to inputs 1&2, set the 9010 to the big HP verb and bring it back from outputs 1&2 on two of the mixer's aux returns... standard operating procedure for a stereo verb. The 4 ins/outs are for when you separate the 9010 into two fx units.
Old 9th November 2018
  #35
BHW
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Not sure I understand the question. That's about the only way I use it. I send the 9010 a stereo signal through 2 aux sends on the mixer to inputs 1&2, set the 9010 to the big HP verb and bring it back from outputs 1&2 on two of the mixer's aux returns... standard operating procedure for a stereo verb. The 4 ins/outs are for when you separate the 9010 into two fx units.
i also own a dp4. it is no problem on the dp4 feeding a stereo signal input 1+2 then chaining 4 or more effects together to process this stereo effect and then send it to output 1+2.

on the 9010 i cant use all the dsp power of the unit and chain few stereo effects together to process the stereo signal present on 1+2 inputs.

if you know what is the best way to do so i would appreciate the input.
Old 10th November 2018
  #36
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
i also own a dp4. it is no problem on the dp4 feeding a stereo signal input 1+2 then chaining 4 or more effects together to process this stereo effect and then send it to output 1+2.

on the 9010 i cant use all the dsp power of the unit and chain few stereo effects together to process the stereo signal present on 1+2 inputs.

if you know what is the best way to do so i would appreciate the input.
The Zoom routing is kinda tricky. It has different levels of fx based on their complexity and you can chain them in different orders, depending on the routing scheme you choose. To get the entire horsepower on the deluxe verb leaves none for adding additional effects. Here's the manual for a better explanation.

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...dfs/E_9010.pdf
Old 10th November 2018
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
I still have my 9010, bought new when they blew them out for a grand. Great reverb but the distortion ain't no big thrill. It has a DI input and plugging a guitar into it sounds brittle, the distortion effect doesn't respond well to dynamic playing and is noisy as heck. Most presets were followed by a gate. However, my Monologue has distortion in it and I can tell it would also sound lousy on guitar... but it sounds terrific on the synth. Will have to try running it through the 9010.
I've only had it a few months and am learning, but agreed with everything you say. The reverb actually sounds real (like in real life it's not static and changes over time) and I've always avoided them but this is actually cool. This unit is really good to add dirt to the sound, and gets rid of the digitalness from my CS2x. I recommend choosing a preset on the 9010 with Phaser (100% effect, slight mod depth, slight mod freq, peak=100), lower the chorus to 0, and echo (feedback 74% and effect 50%). Lower the release time (maybe even to 0) on the source synth sound. This tells the 9010 it doesnt have to constantly apply effects. This is critical for the rhythm sounds. Like all equipment I wondered if it's the least usable piece of gear but with enough playing around I finally figured out it certainly has a purpose. None of my other effects processors can tone down digitalness to my satisfaction (hard to find one that will), but spent some time comparing the unprocessed vs processed sound and it made my synth warmer, and more imperfect sounding which I like. I don't like perfectly sounding artificial presets, no matter what its still like "beeep!" to my ears (remember the old IBM PC days?) I like Beewaeewaep!
Old 10th November 2018
  #38
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

+1 on tweaking presets. I have a small rolling mixer stand and a Boss GT3. Had no need for the stand and was about to chuck it last night when I got the idea to put the GT3 on it. Simply because I didn't have to kneel on the floor and squint at a tiny display while wearing a guitar, I began tweaking presets. My guitar tone improved 100% in a few minutes.

I'm rebuilding a 90's studio and the Zoom was my only verb for a long time. As such, I've really just left it on the best verb. Now that I have all the verbs I want in the DAW, I shall have to explore this unit a little more.
Old 10th November 2018
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
+1 on tweaking presets. I have a small rolling mixer stand and a Boss GT3. Had no need for the stand and was about to chuck it last night when I got the idea to put the GT3 on it. Simply because I didn't have to kneel on the floor and squint at a tiny display while wearing a guitar, I began tweaking presets. My guitar tone improved 100% in a few minutes.

I'm rebuilding a 90's studio and the Zoom was my only verb for a long time. As such, I've really just left it on the best verb. Now that I have all the verbs I want in the DAW, I shall have to explore this unit a little more.
Here is the effect created from the Zoom 9010 as described in my last post:
Sonic Bliss by Sharespace Distortion | Free Listening on SoundCloud

It effectively took a digital synth sound that was rattly but still kind of uniform (which I couldnt avoid) and added interest and detail, texture. Make it like a 200 year old hardwood floor with character. I like that. I find the 9010 is constantly excessive, it's hard to hold back this monster. It has a lot of *oomph*. If you have a hard time getting the keyboard heard with the guitar then this baby will solve the problem. However, it's not going to create any *wow* effects except all the reverb on it sounds really good (pretty much totally real) good enough for a concert.
Old 11th November 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geob View Post
Here is the effect created from the Zoom 9010 as described in my last post:
Sonic Bliss by Sharespace Distortion | Free Listening on SoundCloud

It effectively took a digital synth sound that was rattly but still kind of uniform (which I couldnt avoid) and added interest and detail, texture. Make it like a 200 year old hardwood floor with character. I like that. I find the 9010 is constantly excessive, it's hard to hold back this monster. It has a lot of *oomph*. If you have a hard time getting the keyboard heard with the guitar then this baby will solve the problem. However, it's not going to create any *wow* effects except all the reverb on it sounds really good (pretty much totally real) good enough for a concert.
I dunno, man. Your audio clip was pretty "wow". Great idea on the patch. Betcha a little added Zoom distortion would have been cool too. When I got mine, the competition was the DP4. I got the Zoom when they were blown out at 1/2 price for a grand, $500 cheaper than a DP4 at the time. Plus, you could combine dsp horsepower into just one really great reverb. It's been hard to explore the other effects because it does reverb so well and I would hate to lose it.
Old 11th November 2018
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
I dunno, man. Your audio clip was pretty "wow". Great idea on the patch. Betcha a little added Zoom distortion would have been cool too. When I got mine, the competition was the DP4. I got the Zoom when they were blown out at 1/2 price for a grand, $500 cheaper than a DP4 at the time. Plus, you could combine dsp horsepower into just one really great reverb. It's been hard to explore the other effects because it does reverb so well and I would hate to lose it.
Hey, replace the battery so you don't have to worry about it dying someday and losing all your work. You can edit and write to one of the user locations. I write the # on a sticker and put it on the front. It covers the Zoom logo, just cause theres no other place You can even write sysex to the computer -OR- (what I will do someday) buy a midi data filer and transmit the sysex to the MDF and save it to floppy. I hope to shut off my computer someday because when I'm recording the microphone picks up the noise from the power supply. Otherwise my studio is silent. I removed the hard drive from my Akai DR4d recorder and installed a SCSI2SD card so it's silent and has 24 hours recording time. Not going to spend my hard earned cash on a laptop either. The hardest part is figuring out how to preserve the sound onto the computer. I send the audio to the computer using a Behringer UMC404HD, and it's not bad but when I compare whats floating around in the studio airspace against whats playing in the WAV file it loses something special, that *live* feeling. I want to preserve that, yeah I know. Want everything.

Yes, the reverb is really amazing, I've never heard anything that good. It just feels real, of course theres nothing like going into a church to make some noise and hear the acoustics (ha-ha just kidding, having fun!). The fact that it takes several seconds to load the next patch is an indication it's loading some powerful algorithm, I dunno what it's doing but I'm not complaining!
Old 29th August 2019
  #42
Here for the gear
 

I know there were few similar questions on the forum but I couldn't confirm anywhere - is distortion circuit on 9010 more or less the same as analog one on 9030?
Old 29th August 2019
  #43
Gear Maniac
 

Yes I'm 99% sure it is. This thread I started awhile back confirms specifically that the 9010 is like the 9030.. they were of the same ilk so that also makes me confident they are as companies tend to develop a single body of "tech" and then create variations of it for different price ranges and such..

Zoom 9010 vs 9030?
Old 29th August 2019
  #44
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by part12studios View Post
Yes I'm 99% sure it is. This thread I started awhile back confirms specifically that the 9010 is like the 9030.. they were of the same ilk so that also makes me confident they are as companies tend to develop a single body of "tech" and then create variations of it for different price ranges and such..

Zoom 9010 vs 9030?
Thanks! Yeah I'd though they should be similar.
I read that thread but actually couldn't find a confirmation there . @ geob replied that "I've never owned the 9030 so don't know." and @ ianm2 said "They ain't alike 9030 is more guitar and 9010 more instrument". Seems like people tried either one or the other....
Old 29th August 2019
  #45
Gear Maniac
 

still i'd bet they share the same hardware dsp chips. it's just how companies work.. it's too costly to go in and make 3-4 new products (of a similar purpose) and make them all unique.. i'm sure some companies can but i don't think Zoom would be one of those boutique companies. They were/are a mass production company.

Peavey synths and samplers of the early 90's for example.. did this.. you could see they all were structured with similar menus and options.. even if the output of each were very different because one was a rompler or a sampler or a modeled analog synth unit.. yes they might have some differences in which filter was used.. or this or that effect built in, but the root engine driving them all was very familiar and I can attest to that as i own several peavey synths/samplers

Then there is ART, also early 90's hardware and I have owned multiple devices some at the same time and while a SGE Nightbass is different than a SGE Mach II or Multiverb III, they all shared very similar hardware and software.. some things might have extra touches but mostly they overlap in hardware of each given generation of hardware..

Now in my opinion if the 9010 didn't have distortion at all, i would believe that because it was more about 4 in 4 out.. etc..

If you have one, we could perhaps compare parameters also. that would be another way to get a sense of how similar they are. i have a 9030.. but never had a 9010. mine is 100% with caps replaced so it should be good for years to come.
Old 29th August 2019
  #46
Here for the gear
 

I might get one to try out, thinking about that.
Yes they both based on the same ZFX1 DSP chip, but for 9030 their marketing materials mentioned that distortion, comp/limiter and overdrive are analog, and that's why I'm a bit suspicious about 9010 which might have 4 of the same chips but I guess it would probably be harder to do all that flexible routing with analog fx as you would have to put converters around each one...
Old 29th August 2019
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

that is a good point.. perhaps they did cut that corner on the 9010, i mean how expensive could it have been to add that? however i do think there is something to be said about rack gear of that era especially where distortion was often left out of rack effects.. Digitech and ART at the time had various products without distortion and some that did include it (cough SGE Mach II) had terrible distortion and it even claimed it was analog.. so whatev's i guess.. Seeing the 9030 was more for guitar and has a single input.. it does make me take pause about distortion being equal for a 4 in / out unit.. that said i'd love to have a working 9010 for a good price. however i have the 9030 so I'm content. However to have a whole one it took two bad ones to be fixed/brought together to make it so.
Old 30th August 2019
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by part12studios View Post
that is a good point.. perhaps they did cut that corner on the 9010, i mean how expensive could it have been to add that? however i do think there is something to be said about rack gear of that era especially where distortion was often left out of rack effects.. Digitech and ART at the time had various products without distortion and some that did include it (cough SGE Mach II) had terrible distortion and it even claimed it was analog.. so whatev's i guess.. Seeing the 9030 was more for guitar and has a single input.. it does make me take pause about distortion being equal for a 4 in / out unit.. that said i'd love to have a working 9010 for a good price. however i have the 9030 so I'm content. However to have a whole one it took two bad ones to be fixed/brought together to make it so.
I read through the previous comments, and have to again state... if you have trouble getting the keyboard heard over the guitar the Zoom 9010 will totally solve your problem! I took a vacation last week and listened to a live band and could Not even hear the keyboard. I had to laugh because that mirrors my experience playing live. Always trying to get the keyboard heard. However, the Zoom 9010 "guitarizes" the keyboard i.e. makes them compatible and jive with each other. It makes the keyboard less digital, superficial, boring and much more analog interesting like the guitar. In fact I've been able to make my keyboard sound more like a heavy distortion guitar. The kind you want to listen to. Reading through this thread has rekindled my interest to buy the 9030 especially for distortion and comparison. The only thing that stopped me from actively using the 9010 is that it's just too noisy. However, today I received my second DBX 563x noise suppressor (used for tapes) and it's not the best but is cheap and works great for what it should do. So now I'm inspired to add the 9010 back in. Especially after listening to that previous sound clip that I posted which was actually recorded on a crappy audio interface. Anyways, it adds a heavy distortion or reverb mojo not possible with the Boss SE70, Boss VF1, Roland VS890 (with superb pro radio broadcasting type effects albeit a little noisy). The reverb on the 9010 just sounds real (like in a real church) which you dont realize until you compare it with those other effect units. I've been experimenting (with success) running my audio through external equipment to get that 5-10% improvement. that finished unpredictable sound that's a little unstable like someone with emotional problems who is always trying to deal with life. Makes for good music, and totally enjoyable playing. I know I'm just rambling but I really like those other less popular companies like Zoom and DBX that tried something totally different.
Old 30th August 2019
  #49
Gear Maniac
 

very cool, i'm with you and underdog gear.. i definitely like the 9030.. although NIN: Broken (and i hear claim that ministry used this for songs like scarecrow from Psalm 69, but that's hearsay) featuring the 9030 arguably makes it less underdog, but still don't know many people see these as and i'm going to sing the same mantra over and over..

if you own one of the effects from this generation.. replace the capacitors! they leak and they destroy these units.. i had two units, one mostly working but with a bad input preamp (always on full gain) and another that got destroyed by leaking capacitors. below is a video i made showing what the symptoms are of leaking caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2PNmZKCXo

Would love to hear your a/b comparisons if you get your hands on a 9030.
Old 18th September 2019
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by part12studios View Post
very cool, i'm with you and underdog gear.. i definitely like the 9030.. although NIN: Broken (and i hear claim that ministry used this for songs like scarecrow from Psalm 69, but that's hearsay) featuring the 9030 arguably makes it less underdog, but still don't know many people see these as and i'm going to sing the same mantra over and over..

if you own one of the effects from this generation.. replace the capacitors! they leak and they destroy these units.. i had two units, one mostly working but with a bad input preamp (always on full gain) and another that got destroyed by leaking capacitors. below is a video i made showing what the symptoms are of leaking caps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2PNmZKCXo

Would love to hear your a/b comparisons if you get your hands on a 9030.
Here is what I got when I ran a lo-fi CS1x (hard to imagine anything great) into the Zoom 9010 patch 'Dist Lead 4'.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V9...l79yloyngef1s6

It's a 38 second clip and notice how it sounds OK but notice how the low end sounds sound much better in the last 10 seconds, and when you turn up the volume to MAX. That's the Acid test. Btw I notice there's quite a few zooms for sale now. Ahh sigh... Darn should have bought it before my wife started watching the account balance! Maybe sell my Brick Tube amp but darn I.. can't... bring myself... to. Will have to sacrifice something... :<
Old 18th September 2019
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

"Darn should have bought it before my wife started watching the account balance!" lol i know the feeling. my wife didn't come down that hard, but i had to face the reality that my GAS was getting out of hand. Anymore I'm just buying cables and adapters.. the "under $50" price range for stuff. i'm all about dem bargain bin deals yo

Yea that clip sounds cool. yes definitely sounds better in that last part.

here is one clip i did of the 9030.. i was just tinkering around seeing if i could get something that sounded like "pinion" from NIN - Broken.. i have no idea how hie mic'd his.. what guitar he had.. a million other variables.. but this is what i came up with. using ableton live 8's kinda ****ty noise gate.. but it was a rushed production.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfl6c81tfu...-9030.mp3?dl=0
Old 18th September 2019
  #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by part12studios View Post
"Darn should have bought it before my wife started watching the account balance!" lol i know the feeling. my wife didn't come down that hard, but i had to face the reality that my GAS was getting out of hand. Anymore I'm just buying cables and adapters.. the "under $50" price range for stuff. i'm all about dem bargain bin deals yo

Yea that clip sounds cool. yes definitely sounds better in that last part.

here is one clip i did of the 9030.. i was just tinkering around seeing if i could get something that sounded like "pinion" from NIN - Broken.. i have no idea how hie mic'd his.. what guitar he had.. a million other variables.. but this is what i came up with. using ableton live 8's kinda ****ty noise gate.. but it was a rushed production.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfl6c81tfu...-9030.mp3?dl=0
Did you run it through a tube amp? It sounds like you just need to run it through the right gear that will create a sense of fullness and depth. Or perhaps some of that fullness was lost in translation going to the digital realm. I've decided that distortion really wants and needs to be played in the low octaves (duh!). Especially for synths which struggle to maintain presence on the high notes. The 9030 definitely sounds way better than my Boss VF-1 and SE70 and sounds comparable to my 9010, I'm sure the 9030 is Much easier to use. Editing the 9010 is kind of figgly and weird enough that I'll never completely get used to it (reminds me of the convoluted AN1x interface) but oh well!
Old 18th September 2019
  #53
Gear Maniac
 

yea, that was line in guitar to 9030 to DAW with no other effects.. very dry. only effect was a noise gate from ableton live 8.

Yea the 9030 is easy to program. it wasn't intuitive at first for me. I had to break out the manual for a quick orientation to how it worked but once i saw how to enable / disabled the various effects it was a cinch.

yea i have an SE70 as well. i liked the distortion on it, but i've not really A/B compared it with the 9030 side by side. the SE70 mostly stays for the vocoder as I demonstrated in this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMQff0Ngu0
Old 4 weeks ago
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by part12studios View Post
yea, that was line in guitar to 9030 to DAW with no other effects.. very dry. only effect was a noise gate from ableton live 8.

Yea the 9030 is easy to program. it wasn't intuitive at first for me. I had to break out the manual for a quick orientation to how it worked but once i saw how to enable / disabled the various effects it was a cinch.

yea i have an SE70 as well. i liked the distortion on it, but i've not really A/B compared it with the 9030 side by side. the SE70 mostly stays for the vocoder as I demonstrated in this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMQff0Ngu0
SE70 is kind of clean, boring i.e. hi-fi. But the vocoder apparently has been used to great effect by heavy metal vocalists. The zoom has a very heavy guitar flavor distortion. I am a synth keyboardist but listening to the distortion that it puts out makes me a guitarist i.e. In my previous band I loved being the lo-rez lead distortion guitar (on synth) while the other hi-rez distortion guitar kicked out wailing 70s riffs. Worked great!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump