The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
all Warm studio...with modifications
Old 20th July 2018
all Warm studio...with modifications

Being budget conscious I want to build a studio that's of high quality so here is my idea and id def love feed back on it especially if u have experience with said gear.

Mics:
MXL Revelation Solo
MCA SP1 w/upgraded capsule and board (already own it got it off ebay, actually not bad but may sell it tho)

OUTBOARD GEAR
All Warm Audio but I plan on having it all modded by Revive audio.
WA73-EQ
WA76
WA-2A
EQP-WA

Audient id22

Monitoring
Shure SRH 1540
PreSonus Sceptre S8
Neumann KH120

The studio will mainly be for tracking solo artist as well as session players time to time. The id22 send and return point was a big selling point as I would use the comps and eq as hardware inserts in my DAW (Reaper!). Would do final mixes but still send them off for mastering (second pair of ears always helps!) anyway thoughts, questions, comments, feedback always appreciated thanks guys.
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mequaz View Post
Being budget conscious I want to build a studio that's of high quality so here is my idea and id def love feed back on it especially if u have experience with said gear.

Mics:
MXL Revelation Solo
MCA SP1 w/upgraded capsule and board (already own it got it off ebay, actually not bad but may sell it tho)

OUTBOARD GEAR
All Warm Audio but I plan on having it all modded by Revive audio.
WA73-EQ
WA76
WA-2A
EQP-WA

Audient id22

Monitoring
Shure SRH 1540
PreSonus Sceptre S8
Neumann KH120

The studio will mainly be for tracking solo artist as well as session players time to time. The id22 send and return point was a big selling point as I would use the comps and eq as hardware inserts in my DAW (Reaper!). Would do final mixes but still send them off for mastering (second pair of ears always helps!) anyway thoughts, questions, comments, feedback always appreciated thanks guys.
That`s fine, but WA stuff is good as it is. You`re going to ruin the warranty on all that and don`t expect much support, if any, if anything goes wrong with the mods. I`m speaking from experience. Used gear, fine. New gear, no freaking way in hell. Learn the hard way if you must.
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

I question why you’d need the gear modded to begin with.. I’d also add the tonebeast in that lineup...
Old 21st July 2018
I had a wa12 and it was good but i wasnt blown away. Started studio hopping and realized what a solid pre really does. Fast forward had a friend who had his wa76 modded by revive and yea it was def diff. Almost felt faster heavier (im not good wit buzz words)
For me having modded equipmeant has always seemed to be a solid investment imo. Had a modded eureka a few years ago and def heard the diff. Not that warm stuff is bad but u get even closer and still havent spent as much.
Old 23rd July 2018
MJB
Lives for gear

mequaz, get a better mic. All things start there. On a budget, the Lewitt 640 or the Warm U47 will kill that mic. Everything after that is gravy.
Old 23rd July 2018
I bought the Neumann kh120's to replace my Yamaha HS80's last summer and now a year later I am back to using the Yamahas.
The KH120 sounds great but I can't seem to make a mix with them that sounds good on anything other than the KH120. I can't put my finger on it but when I make mixes with the HS80 those mixes translate fine to everything. While the Neumann's seem to make everything glossy and polished sounding but the mixes translate across sounding rough.

I'm going to sell the KH120's.
Also the HS80's have better bass response to my ears.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Well, I wanted to chime in because I am using some of the gear you've mentioned you'll be buying.

I have a pair of the WA-EQPs and the WA-76. I really like these pieces. I tried NOS tubes (RCA) in my EQPs and ended up liking them a little better, but the stock ones were fine if you don't have others lying around. I use these even in bypass mode quite a bit. I love them on guitars, bass, kick drum and vocals.

The WA-76 is a really nice comp. I still use some 1176 plugs, though. It's a real workhorse. It def has the 1176 flavor and it's well made.

I tried the API style pre and didn't really care for it. A client gave me an API A2D (basically 2 312s with a 2:1 switch) and they blew the WA away, so I gave away my WA to a bandmate. He really likes it and keep in mind the A2D is about $3000 or something.

For mics I would go with something else. I like the Mojave stuff a lot and suggest the MA-201 as a goto with the tube MA-200s being a close second. I actually have a pair of the more expensive 200s and wish my pair was 201s.

Also have the KH-120s. I had an expensive pair of Tannoys that broke then the JBL 8 inchers and then the KH-120s. The JBLs I would suggest to anyone with a small budget. The 120s will let you hear things the JBLs won't. They're not bass heavy being so small, but I don't do dance music or rap so it's not really an issue to me.

Here's my setup. I don't have a ton of stuff, but I try to buy quality things for the most part.

Old 27th July 2018
I think you'll be hurting with those mics. One can use MXL, but it's really not the way to go.

The (simplified) chain goes:

1. mics
2. preamplifiers
3. a to d conversion
--whatever interface, computer, plug-ins, and DAW software you want
4. d to a conversion
5. monitoring

In my experience the room (tracking and mixing), mics, and the monitoring matter WAY more than anything else. I would spend most of my money on that stuff.

When I think of it like that the name brand of Warm Audio doesn't even factor. Nothing wrong with Warm. It's just not the thing that I'm focused on when I'm evaluating a particular setup.
Old 27th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
I think you'll be hurting with those mics. One can use MXL, but it's really not the way to go.

The (simplified) chain goes:

1. mics
2. preamplifiers
3. a to d conversion
--whatever interface, computer, plug-ins, and DAW software you want
4. d to a conversion
5. monitoring

In my experience the room (tracking and mixing), mics, and the monitoring matter WAY more than anything else. I would spend most of my money on that stuff.

When I think of it like that the name brand of Warm Audio doesn't even factor. Nothing wrong with Warm. It's just not the thing that I'm focused on when I'm evaluating a particular setup.
im asking for more gear suggestions. Ive been in Teddy Riley studio and he has a mxl revelation. so the mic is def not in question. Do you have any GEAR suggestions. Room is treated thats where all the money has already gone. Absortion, Bass Traps, Diffusion. Now its time to fill it up. I know how chains work. Not what im asking. its more so "hey anybody who already own some of these pieces wanna chime in." Thanks for the i lesson i guess.
Old 27th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Well, I wanted to chime in because I am using some of the gear you've mentioned you'll be buying.

I have a pair of the WA-EQPs and the WA-76. I really like these pieces. I tried NOS tubes (RCA) in my EQPs and ended up liking them a little better, but the stock ones were fine if you don't have others lying around. I use these even in bypass mode quite a bit. I love them on guitars, bass, kick drum and vocals.

The WA-76 is a really nice comp. I still use some 1176 plugs, though. It's a real workhorse. It def has the 1176 flavor and it's well made.

I tried the API style pre and didn't really care for it. A client gave me an API A2D (basically 2 312s with a 2:1 switch) and they blew the WA away, so I gave away my WA to a bandmate. He really likes it and keep in mind the A2D is about $3000 or something.

For mics I would go with something else. I like the Mojave stuff a lot and suggest the MA-201 as a goto with the tube MA-200s being a close second. I actually have a pair of the more expensive 200s and wish my pair was 201s.

Also have the KH-120s. I had an expensive pair of Tannoys that broke then the JBL 8 inchers and then the KH-120s. The JBLs I would suggest to anyone with a small budget. The 120s will let you hear things the JBLs won't. They're not bass heavy being so small, but I don't do dance music or rap so it's not really an issue to me.

Here's my setup. I don't have a ton of stuff, but I try to buy quality things for the most part.

Thanks for the feedback. Yea i have never heard the MA-201 in person but im gonna have to check it out.
Old 28th July 2018
Quote:
im asking for more gear suggestions. Ive been in Teddy Riley studio and he has a mxl revelation. so the mic is def not in question. Do you have any GEAR suggestions. Room is treated thats where all the money has already gone. Absortion, Bass Traps, Diffusion. Now its time to fill it up. I know how chains work. Not what im asking. its more so "hey anybody who already own some of these pieces wanna chime in." Thanks for the i lesson i guess.
If you know, you know and that's a good thing. I'm not trying to school you. But you're asking questions. And you didn't limit it to only those who own those particular pieces. None of that is the point I'm making anyway.

The point I'm making is that if you're doing recording then the things that "touch" the sound (the transducers: microphones and monitors) matter most. To think in terms of name brand for preamps and signal processors has some value, but not nearly as much as worrying about the mics, monitors, and room.

That you're willing to spend $1300 on a microphone shows that you care about what you're doing. Why limit yourself to what some producer is using in their studio? For that kind of money you can get a superior sounding mic. And it won't be an MXL. Having heard that mic in action I know I've heard better for actually less money. One example would be an Earthworks SR40 (way better than that MXL).

I also like way more than the MXL Revalation:
-Schoeps CM6 body with the mk22 capsule
-Avenson Audio STO-2 for vocals is great
-AEA R84
-Electrovoice RE20

If you have your heart set on repping MXL it's all good. I'd make sure I got a check for it though.
Old 28th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ive been in Teddy Riley studio and he has a mxl revelation. so the mic is def not in question.
Interesting. Was that the only mic in Teddy Riley's studio?
Old 1st August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Interesting. Was that the only mic in Teddy Riley's studio?
Lol def not but it was left in the vocal booth ill put it that way.
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Lol def not but it was left in the vocal booth ill put it that way.
When non-clients are in my studio, the good mics get locked up.
Old 1st August 2018
Quote:
If you know, you know and that's a good thing. I'm not trying to school you. But you're asking questions. And you didn't limit it to only those who own those particular pieces. None of that is the point I'm making anyway.

The point I'm making is that if you're doing recording then the things that "touch" the sound (the transducers: microphones and monitors) matter most. To think in terms of name brand for preamps and signal processors has some value, but not nearly as much as worrying about the mics, monitors, and room.

That you're willing to spend $1300 on a microphone shows that you care about what you're doing. Why limit yourself to what some producer is using in their studio? For that kind of money you can get a superior sounding mic. And it won't be an MXL. Having heard that mic in action I know I've heard better for actually less money. One example would be an Earthworks SR40 (way better than that MXL).

I also like way more than the MXL Revalation:
-Schoeps CM6 body with the mk22 capsule
-Avenson Audio STO-2 for vocals is great
-AEA R84
-Electrovoice RE20

If you have your heart set on repping MXL it's all good. I'd make sure I got a check for it though.
I def appreciate ya input but your worried about it saying MXL, have u actually heard the mic thru a neve pre, and a distressor in an amazing room. ....Well I have. Which means my thought on this mic was based pure off sound. An MXL revelation can be had for less than 500 not sure where u got 1500. Also the constant need u seem to have to school.
I'm asking for gear suggestions, post a clip of what u have done. ur suggesting SDC which are cool but def not the sound I'm looking for my vocals to have. Nor a dynamic mic. Your recording vocals wit SDC, great, just not my thing.

I didn't think in terms of name brands. I thought in terms of budget.
My dream chain is:
u67
la-2a
eqp-1a....
BECAUSE IVE HEARD MY VOICE IN THAT CHAIN. Brands aside. Ive heard warm audio gear and even owned a piece before. With mods it can def compete with some high end gear. Not saying one would replace their 1176 wit the warm but its not the end of the world. So when looking to create my dream chain on my budget I look at every piece and determine how to get the max value out of it.
Can it be modded to sound better yet still remain affordable. AND every piece I put on my list meets that. If your trying to school someone .......I'm playing hooky.
Old 1st August 2018
Quote:
When non-clients are in my studio, the good mics get locked up.
Lol good thing I was running the session my man.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
mequaz, get a better mic. All things start there. On a budget, the Lewitt 640 or the Warm U47 will kill that mic. Everything after that is gravy.
What MJB said ^^^.
Old 1st August 2018
Skip the WA76 mod with Revive and just get someone to build you a Rev D kit from Hairball Audio - I've used both and I think the Hairball is better.

I was not impressed with the EQP myself - I've been hearing good things about the KT version, and it comes in even cheaper. Check it out.

I would steer clear of the mods for the most part unless you are absolutely sure about it - often that money does not come back to you at resale. Mod'ing Warm Audio gear is like putting $5k of wheels/tires/fog lights etc etc in your beater Honda Civic and then expecting to get more in resale. I would just buy something stock that is designed and made with better quality components at the start. It will probably sound better and will also hold that value in resale.
Old 1st August 2018
I would also advise against the mods on the Warm stuff. You will lose money in the long run if/when you decide to upgrade and the change in sound might be marginal, and this is coming from someone that mods everything (it’s just fun to do). I’d personally would also skip the Pultec EQ clone and with the savings from not doing the mods would get a better mic than the two you have. The mics are the most important AFTER, yes AFTER the room. The ROOM is the most important. You don’t seem to have any treatment in your room. Get some lumber and insulation and build some. I would personally also skip the 1073 pre for a better mic as well. Just my opinion.

Edit: Sorry I see that you put a budget in the room. That is great! Get good mics first.
Old 4th August 2018
Quote:
I def appreciate ya input but your worried about it saying MXL, have u actually heard the mic thru a neve pre, and a distressor in an amazing room. ....Well I have. Which means my thought on this mic was based pure off sound. An MXL revelation can be had for less than 500 not sure where u got 1500. Also the constant need u seem to have to school.
I'm asking for gear suggestions, post a clip of what u have done...
There's always a clip in my signature.

There is no identifiable sound to a small diaphragm condenser mic. I cannot listen to a clip and say it was definitely recorded by an SDC. The mics I suggested were more than SDCs also. The AEA is a ribbon. The RE20 is a dynamic.

You said in your first post: "...anyway thoughts, questions, comments, feedback always appreciated thanks guys."

Now you're complaining about somebody "schooling" you. Maybe it might work better for you to take what you can use and leave what you can't. No need to be resistant to schooling. Besides what do I know? I've only done this for 15 years professionally. Make of it what you will.
Old 4th August 2018
Quote:
There's always a clip in my signature.

There is no identifiable sound to a small diaphragm condenser mic. I cannot listen to a clip and say it was definitely recorded by an SDC. The mics I suggested were more than SDCs also. The AEA is a ribbon. The RE20 is a dynamic.

You said in your first post: "...anyway thoughts, questions, comments, feedback always appreciated thanks guys."

Now you're complaining about somebody "schooling" you. Maybe it might work better for you to take what you can use and leave what you can't. No need to be resistant to schooling. Besides what do I know? I've only done this for 15 years professionally. Make of it what you will.
Lol google me.
Quaz
Odic Records.
Your Welcome.
Old 4th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo4880 View Post
Skip the WA76 mod with Revive and just get someone to build you a Rev D kit from Hairball Audio - I've used both and I think the Hairball is better.

I was not impressed with the EQP myself - I've been hearing good things about the KT version, and it comes in even cheaper. Check it out.

I would steer clear of the mods for the most part unless you are absolutely sure about it - often that money does not come back to you at resale. Mod'ing Warm Audio gear is like putting $5k of wheels/tires/fog lights etc etc in your beater Honda Civic and then expecting to get more in resale. I would just buy something stock that is designed and made with better quality components at the start. It will probably sound better and will also hold that value in resale.
lol great analogy. I had a chevy impala for 2k and put 2k rims on it. **** was fly if u ask me. So yea I'm kinda that guy. But Rev D kit ....sounds lit. I heard that one as well and man that was def a 76. Where can I find someone to build it?
Old 4th August 2018
Quote:
Lol google me.
Quaz
Odic Records.
Your Welcome.
Is that supposed to mean something? Are you promoting your work or something? I thought we were talking about gear.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Lol google me.
Quaz
Odic Records.
Your Welcome.
As you wish.

Odic Records - Home | Facebook
Old 4th August 2018
Quote:
Again my name is Quaz. Lol google me big homie

YouTube
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Again my name is Quaz. Lol google me big homie

YouTube
Ah. So. If you're looking for non-extravagant, the MXL is it.
Old 4th August 2018
Quote:
Ah. So. If you're looking for non-extravagant, the MXL is it.
LOL awesome. Diff mic got ya. thanks man
Old 4th August 2018
Quote:
Is that supposed to mean something? Are you promoting your work or something? I thought we were talking about gear.
I BEEN TALKING ABOUT GEAR.
15 years of experience was supposed to mean..... LOL. AAND YEA ALWAYS PROMOTING. duh! This is HIP HOP (300 King Leonidas kick into abysss of darkness!)
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
lol great analogy. I had a chevy impala for 2k and put 2k rims on it. **** was fly if u ask me. So yea I'm kinda that guy. But Rev D kit ....sounds lit. I heard that one as well and man that was def a 76. Where can I find someone to build it?
I could possibly build one? Have no experience with that kit directly but have built many other kits. Also.. for Neve clone check out the sound skulptor stuff and for la2a opto flavor (minus the tubes) jlm audio makes a great sounding compressor. Albiet. Different than the la2a but equally amazing
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
so here is my idea and id def love feed back on it.

anyway thoughts, questions, comments, feedback always appreciated thanks guys.
You have an interesting way of showing that you “love feedback” and that it is “always appreciated”.
I listened to a clip. I’ll pass on giving any feedback you might “love” or “appreciate.”
📝 Reply