The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
recording Bass
Old 1st May 2007
Here for the gear

recording Bass

Hey y'all

I wanna record soon our Bass parts, and would like to know if this is the right way??

I wanna use the line out of the bass amp into my line in of the M-Audio Delta 1010LT. Is this the best way....or do you need a DI for example??

thanks,

Jeroen
Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

Ummm what line out on your bass amp...is it a direct out or the speaker out? What bass amp is it...i typically record from a DI box and mic a cabinet with an AKG d112 (any bass oriented mic will due) and then blend the two together...seeing as how they are completely diff...that way you can blend to what suits that song best...may be diff for each song....so if you have the ability to do that...then give it a try....i wouldnt send your speaker out through to your delta...get a DI if the amp doesnt already have a direct out in the back (alot of newer ones do).
Old 2nd May 2007
Gear Addict

bass recording

Hi,

i do mostly dance music, but, I have had good results just from DI..

I used a BLUE TUBE preamp , whirlwind DI , into a DBX 160x compressor, into my MBOX....

Bass sounded GREAT....

my minimum setup would be a decent DI box (whirlwind etc...) , into your soundcard (mic level) , with 3-4:1 compression 3-4db reduction with the BEST compressor u have going in....

Hope this helps...

Old 2nd May 2007
Gear Maniac

I read somewhere on this website you can re-track your bass signal through a guitar amp like the Fender Deluxe. They said it yeilds some results they sometimes like, I think.
Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

You can use the line out (but not speaker out) to the line in on your interface. I don't know what kind of results you'll get. You might prefer it to the miked sound. I suppose you could send the line out to one channel and mic the amp to a second channel, then blend the two. I do this with my B-15S and it sounds pretty nice.
Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

I DI through a BBE w/Sonic Maximzer and then into a Trident 4T pre where I can EQ and compress to taste.

I think compression on the way in really helps with bass.
Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

I guess it depends what you are going for, lately I've been using a sub-kick combined with an sm 57 into a Presonus m-80 ( no DI ) on a 2-10 inch speaker and that gets a real growly defined and huge sounding bass that is also easy to balance in a mix. I'm also partial to connecting the bass into a Radial direct box into a Chameleon Labs 7602 and EQ to taste . Both options go thru a distressor ( amount and ratio of compression are player specific) with Dist 2 or 3 depending on what's required.
Hope this helps
Later
Old 2nd May 2007
Here for the gear

Hey y'all

Thanks a lot,

I've asked our bassplayer, but he got a line out on the back of his amp and a DI on the front of the amp...so I am going to try these options first and maybe with a mike too..

Jeroen
Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

the 1010lt can record a di signal into the xlr inputs (you'll have to get a ts to xlr converter). in the manual, it gives you instructions on how to change the jumpers on the card to accomodate a hi-z instrument signal on the xlr connectors.
Old 3rd May 2007
Lives for gear

If hes got the DI on his amp just use that to your input device...and if u wanna mic it to thats cool...just make sure you get the two in phase...just check the waveforms...make sure they line up.
Old 3rd May 2007
Gear Nut

I use an Ampeg SVT-VR through 3 cabs. 1X15, 4X10, and 8X10. AKG 414 centered about a foot, foot and a half in front of the 15. RE20 on the 8X10 adjusted to sound good with the 414. Sounds so rock'n.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search