The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
CLA's new NS-10 signature, not kidding.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Addict

The active CLA10a's are coming for 999 $ a pair.
Copy paste from their website:

The CLA-10A's have an all new “VTPC” knob or “Variable Tissue Paper Control.” This VTPC allows you to simulate any thing from the Vertical “m” model to the horizontal “Studio” model and everything in between.

This product sits somewhere between clever and cringey. The active ones even look reasonable to me.
Old 6th February 2019
“Variable Tissue Paper Control”
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Oh BTW:

Heres an article testing different types of tissues to use with them

Bob Hodas - Educational Resources
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
The active CLA10a's are coming for 999 $ a pair.
Copy paste from their website:

The CLA-10A's have an all new “VTPC” knob or “Variable Tissue Paper Control.” This VTPC allows you to simulate any thing from the Vertical “m” model to the horizontal “Studio” model and everything in between.

This product sits somewhere between clever and cringey. The active ones even look reasonable to me.
Wow. Game changing
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I can't believe I'm defending NS10s here, but, despite the fact that I don't even like them, the things are useful. I haven't tried the CLA versions, but they are tempting. I have a pair of the little Avantones for a similar function.

What's great about NS10s? They keep engineers from saying "you should have heard how great this sounded in the control room!" No artist wants to hear their songs sounding awful when they take their stuff out of the mixing room. A lot of good EQ/mix decisions are made with less-than-perfect speakers. Also, the NS10s are ubiquitous and a known quantity.

This said, while others do a great job with them, I would never want to do a final mix on NS10s. I don't make optimal bass, higher frequency or reverb effects decisions with them well enough. I suppose I could if I spent a lot of time with them, but who wants to do that? I always found them fatiguing. I really would use them for a quick reference to cut some low-mid and mid conflicts before moving to better speakers. Basically, giving myself about 15-20 minutes maximum with a listening break prior to mixing on the better speakers.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
People don’t like NS-10’s because they are extremely revealing. They make you work hard for a mix

Use a subwoofer to extend the range, if need be.
Old 4 days ago
interestingly the ONLY (to me) reason for this speakers to be in studios, and marketed as a trend by CLA is that Bob Clearmountain used them.
funnily went putting out a big commercial video presenting his own plugin, he got rid of the NS-10 !

https://youtu.be/T88SeDzhe4k
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezident View Post
Wow. Game changing
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
<SNIP>

One thing I noticed though, I believe Auratone began producing the 5C Soundcubes again, after they saw the success of the Mixcubes, which is hilarious to me. And although they're the original makers, the Mixcubes have now become the go-to monitor for grotboxes. People don't even buy from the original manufacturer the way they buy the Mixcubes, <SNIP>
Hey VenVile, that's not really what happened.

Auratone was invented and developed by a fellow (Jack Wilson) who became old. AS he got older production fell, until he eventually died. His daughter then took over with her son/Jack's grandson, Alex. Alex was barely 20 when that happened I believe. As he learned the business, production has improved. That's why its more visible again.
Brad
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
Hey VenVile, that's not really what happened.

Auratone was invented and developed by a fellow (Jack Wilson) who became old. AS he got older production fell, until he eventually died. His daughter then took over with her son/Jack's grandson, Alex. Alex was barely 20 when that happened I believe. As he learned the business, production has improved. That's why its more visible again.
Brad
Thanks for clearing that up Brad, and that explains a lot. I didn't realise Auratone was such a small company. Thanks again for the correction and understanding.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Brad, and that explains a lot. I didn't realise Auratone was such a small company. Thanks again for the correction and understanding.
I bought American made Auratone, new, straight from them.

What a great company and a fantastic tool. appart from small, big, headphones relative view of the mix, the Auratones are a tool of their own ( no crossover, fast transients, no flattering bass or high end, great mixes sound great and bad mixes collapses). also great for mastering, it reveals issues such as grain /distortion/ phases etc. love em.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
interestingly the ONLY (to me) reason for this speakers to be in studios, and marketed as a trend by CLA is that Bob Clearmountain used them.
funnily went putting out a big commercial video presenting his own plugin, he got rid of the NS-10 !

https://youtu.be/T88SeDzhe4k
I’ve tried all kinds of speakers. I prefer NS 10’s for their transient response and revealing mid range. They are an relatively inexpensive investment that holds its value.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
I’ve tried all kinds of speakers. I prefer NS 10’s for their transient response and revealing mid range. They are an relatively inexpensive investment that holds its value.
Yeah to each his own. Way more money than an Auratone pair, and I find them too close to a normal two way ( say HS50) AND too dry and honky to be a normal modern speaker. I find them very odd to get accustomed to. Anyway nowhere near standard nowadays.

Auratone is NOT a normal speaker, it's a special test your mix has to pass, mid oriented and fast, no help from tweeters yet accurate ( with a very good amp).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search