The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avenson Audio Small DI - any users? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 30th April 2007
Gear nut

Avenson Audio Small DI - any users?

Anyone use this DI? Does it work as advertised:
Quote:
This phantom powered active DI is the perfect instrument interface. It transparently passes the sound of your instrument to the preamp without adding its own sound.

I primarily will use it for recording bass. I currently run my bass into a mic preamp that has no instrument/line input (but i like its tone), and my work-arounds to get the bass signal properly into the pre affect the tone (often for good, but i want the option of unaltered tone). This device would be cool if it is like simply adding an instrument input on the pre.

Any user comments?
Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Tascam tape machine for which I used to plug my bass into its "mic" inputs which strangely sounded good. But perhaps due to some impedance mismatch it doesn't work with my electric guitar at all (anemic sound and the pickup output easily overloads the preamps).

So I bought the Avenson small DI to use with my only decent preamp the Rane VP12.

How does it sound? Well, for bass compared with the tape machine inputs, I can hear significantly deeper bottom end (on a Bluesky Mediadesk system with a subwoofer). I wouldn't say it sounds killer on my electric guitar but I can get a sound to work with. Overall sounds clean to me but I can't really tell how good it is compared to other DIs cos I haven't tried anything other than a Whirlwind EDB but that was on another speaker system so...

This is a little onemanjam i did while fooling around with the Small DI after it arrived, all the guitars and bass are through it and the Rane:

foolaroundwah.wav - DivShare

Old 2nd May 2007
Lives for gear

Well I don't know this DI, but if Avenson's incredible bang-for-the-buck philosophy so much in evidence in their wonderful STO-2 omni microphone pair is the same then I'm guessing this will be an awesome bit of kit for the money and I will probably order half a dozen on principle!

BTW That clip sounds nice'n'funky "suadade" - where can I find more of your stuff?
Old 2nd May 2007
pan
Lives for gear

Go for it!

Have it and use it on bass in the studio and DI-Acoustics live.

It's a great piece I don't wanna miss...
Old 5th May 2007
Lives for gear

James!

haha thanks for listening. my stuff is erm...currently in progress . The stuff I did for other people can't be put online cos I don't have the rights Anyways I don't usually play funky stuff so yeah it's just well....fooling around

btw you're the guy who reviewed the Bluesky Prodesk, no?
Old 5th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
James!

haha thanks for listening. my stuff is erm...currently in progress . The stuff I did for other people can't be put online cos I don't have the rights Anyways I don't usually play funky stuff so yeah it's just well....fooling around

btw you're the guy who reviewed the Bluesky Prodesk, no?
Yep - big ProDesk fan here, and I've bought back my PMC TB2's!

Modest plug - if you like a jazzy-funky vibe go to the music page of my website and check out one of my tunes "The Grasshopper"! Thanks for listening!
Old 6th May 2007
Gear nut

So, it seems it works competently; I wonder why it's not widely used (or at lease commented on as compared to other DI's). I think im going to check it out...
Old 8th May 2007
Gear addict

I seem to recall it has only one output. There is no thru. So if you're intending to use an amp concurrently, you can't. Otherwise, and I seem to also recall because of that, it sounds great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search