The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice, Grace Design m900 vs Little Lab Monotor, vs. whatever? Audio Interfaces
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Advice, Grace Design m900 vs Little Lab Monotor, vs. whatever?

I'm looking to buy new headphones (edit: actually just picked up hd600s for $286) and a headphone amp and I've narrowed it down to the Grace Designs m900 and the Little Labs Monotor.

My interface is an RME Babyface Pro and my headphones are Sennheiser hd600. Recording and mixing is just a hobby for me, but I'm still trying to get the best results I can. I have some decent monitors with 8 inch woofers (JBL LSR4328P) but my room sucks and I'm hoping to use the headphones for a second reference point for mixing.

I've read that some people prefer the sound of the Monotor, but the m900 is also very transparent. I like the idea of being able to occasionally use the m900 through bus power making it portable. I would have the babyface connected to it through an optical cable, and leave my monitors connected to the balanced analog outs on the babyface.

My question is if the sound I'm going to get out of the Monotor is that much better than the m900 that it would be worth the extra $ and the decreased connivence of occasional mobile use without using the RME.

Any opinions on these or anything better around the same price range would be really helpful (or even, should I just stick with the RME's headphone amp)!

Last edited by destructo; 1 day ago at 03:34 PM.. Reason: fixed text
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I think you may have posted in the wrong Forum as I suspect most folks on a budget aren't going to drop $600 on amplifying their cans!

There's a good recent thread in High End about this: High End Headphone Amp

And there are lots more threads too, especially since you said you are planning to replace your headphones as well.

I've been doing lots of searches and reading myself as I've been going through the same upgrade process as you just recently but on a fairly limited budget. Ended up with some Beyer DT880 Pro's ($250) and just ordered a little $50 SMSL SAPII TPA6120A2 Headphone Amplifier off Amazon, so we'll see how that pans out. It may be the old adage 'buy cheap buy twice' but I guess we'll see. In another universe I'd probably be going for HD650 or better + LittleLabs Monotor; the monitoring options alone on the Monotor make it extremely cool already.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll post in the other forum. I guess I'm leaning towards the m900. Prefer the option to use it mobile and they've added the following through a firmware update:

"Mono Mode, Left minus Right, Channel Balance adjust, Monitoring Modes (stereo, L&R swapped, left in both channels, right in both channels, left channel only, right channel only)"

The only reason I'd go with the Monotor is if it's sound would be a big upgrade to the m900. That's what I'm really curious about.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search