The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Budget Microphone Shootout Condenser Microphones
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Budget Microphone Shootout

Hey gang,

Quick one here.

I have in my mic locker three budget LDC Microphones:

1. SE Electronics se2200a Large Diaphragm Mic
2. Audio Technica AT2020 Large Diaphragm Mic
3. Studio Projects B1 Large Diaphragm Mic

Three Questions:

1. Which do you prefer on Male Vocals?
2. Which do you prefer on female vocals?
3. Other than vocals, what are your favourite uses for each?

Looking forward to the replies,

Rock on

Fret.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I'd take the sE2200A on everything, because it's a good-sounding mic, and not just a cheap piece of garbage like the other ones listed.

My favorite uses for the B1:

1) Paperweight
2) Doorstop.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I have the sE2200a IIc and as well the other two. My choice for my own male vocals and occasional acoustic guitar is easily the sE2200a IIc. The AT2020 (SDC with its 16mm capsule) has had little use for quite a while. The SP B1 is a mic I leave on a stand plugged in to a small mixer for my wife to do karaoke and it's fine for that use. I would choose the sE2200 if I were going to record her.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

One of the best mics no one ever talks about is the Studio Projects CS-1.

Best budget mic I've ever used. Destroys any of the budget chinese mics out there by quite a long shot in my opinion.

30 Audio I think sets the standard for the budget Chinese condenser. They and SE (who make that awesome little marvel SE2200). And the CS-1 is definitely on that level. Serious tool. The B1 is not.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Funny ye guys don't have any love for the AT2020, it got a great review on Sound on Sound Audio Technica AT2020 |

Anybody else care to share there thoughts, also any other recommendations on budget mics at this price??

Fret
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Yeah but what piece of gear has not gotten a great review from Sound on Sound? All of those audio magazines make their money from advertisers so they can't really burn any bridges or they will be out of business.

The 2020 is good for the money but that doesn't mean it's good.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
The 2020 is good for the money but that doesn't mean it's good.
Finally, the voice of reason. It's also worth noting that it has both an XLR and USB variant, which may make a diff. I haven't used but was with those who have. It's not amazing, but not the worthless/blah etc that some make it out to be. Depends on how it's used as well (genre, voice type etc).

I also don't think it's fair to compare or lump together this and the B1 (which is also not horrible, in fact good if you want a bright mic) to the 2200, which is a notch above the others but better be, as it costs several times as much.

Side note, this thread has nothing to do with a "shootout." Pls avoid click bait.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the comments guys, just to throw a spanner in the works, how do you think the Se2200a would fair against a Rode Nt1A? I’ve been contemplating on getting one for some time
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Forget that last question guys, I saw another thread about it
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

I'd be tempted to sell the B1 & 2020, and get an Oktava 219. Nice balance to your SE Mic.

+1 on the CS series.

Chris
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear
As others have said, the 2020 is not junk. It is very well built and without audio quirks. It is the perfect “extra” mic, since it is simple, not too heavy or bulky, has no switches and doesn’t have any really odd frequency lumps and dumps. And it takes a lot of level. Because it is a somewhat noisy mic, I wouldn’t use it on a very quiet source, but I think it will give you a useful capture on anything else.
I still have mine. It almost never gets used now, because it isn’t, in my experience, the very best mic I have now on anything. But if you wanted to start with an under $100 all-purpose mic that is somewhere between an LDC and an SDC and will Sound st least OK on almost anything, the 2020 is that mic.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
since it is simple, not too heavy or bulky, has no switches and doesn’t have any really odd frequency lumps and dumps.
You mean besides having weak bass response, and being shaped like Lisa Simpson's hair in the high end?

Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Chris
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Maniac

One of the reasons why folks might struggle to agree on cheaper mics is that there is less transfer-ability across sources. I've used my 2020 on several voices and guitar (as well as a drum o/h at gigs) but it's difficult to predict what source it will sound well on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search