The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
4.1 setup for small gallery installations Studio Monitors
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear

4.1 setup for small gallery installations

hi all, i've searched the threads and hope i'm not duplicating. please feel free to redirect (or mods, please relocate thread if i'm posting in the wrong area).

i've recently shifted from writing for / working with primarily acoustic (orchestral) instruments to doing more installation-type spatialized sound art / design type pieces, (often multichannel) intended for galleries sans live instrumentation. some of the galleries i'm presenting in do not have their own sound system, so i'm looking for something semi-portable on which i can mix at home, and bring to galleries that don't have their own setup. ideally i will eventually expand to 8.1 (and later, something leaning toward 2nd order ambisonics), but i am on a budget and will need to build up to this. although i've been working in this milieu for a few years now, best to consider this a "beginner" setup. so, in addition to quasi portability, i am looking for something that will retain moderate resale value so that i can trade up over the next few years. atm, i'm looking at active speakers so that i don't need to invest in an amp. i also need an interface to handle output from my laptop to the system, one which has decent converters so that i don't need to trade up on the interface as often as i expect i will on the speakers.

after a lot of research and question-asking to colleagues and other folks i trust, i thought i'd be good to make myself a target here on 'slutz. please don't pull any punches. i am leaning toward the following set-up:

used motu ultralite mk3
4 jbl 305p mk ii (or used LSR305s if i can grab a good deal on ebay)
subwoofer tbd, but based on the advice in these pages, probably the jbl 310s.

this works out to about $1300-$1400 if i'm adding correctly. a little less if i can find a good deal on the LSRs. i'd be willing to bump this range within a few hundred for something incredible, but not willing to bump for something mediocre. after my research, i feel like the next threshold for decent gear is in the $3k range, and right now i'd rather spend that cash on building out to 8.1. again, if there is an incredible option - especially one that is more compact - a few hundred bucks away, i'm all ears. (i have a post it on the yamaha H5, but i feel like most are saying the JBL are the way to go).

in terms of sound it is mostly field recordings, sines, other electronics. primarily running sound out of logic, max/msp, pd, and the like. my work does frequently go in the 25-40 Hz range.

so: beat me up, tell me what's wrong here, tell me what's right, tell me what i'm missing. thanks in advance.

Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

i'm not familiar with the jbl sub, but with (somewhat) similar setups as you are planning to use: i have a bunch of genelec 1029a speakers that i use for some temporary installations in different settings from 2.0 to 7.1 (with a1091a sub or neumann kh810 if i need to go very low). i can mount speakers on mic stands or manfrotto clamps for easy placement...

may i ask why 8.1? ambisonic? otherwise i'd stick with more conventional 5.1 (or maybe 6.1) and 7.1 surround setups for compatibility reasons with other mixes/existing installations.
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear

man, i would love some genelecs, but i think that's out of my budget (am i right that that's about $800/pair used? the jbls are $300/pair new... )

i have a bunch of 6 ch pieces and 8 ch pieces. the .1 is just to get the lows. i'm not very deep into ambisonics yet, so i fully expect to be corrected on this point, but i believe 2nd order is 9 ch. not a very huge fan of the center front in an installation/hall setting for a bunch of reasons, so think of this setup as 5.1 minus that zone.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

i found the genelecs rather cheap... no doubt that the jbl's will do well too!

interesting twist on 6- and 8-channel 'mixes': does each istrument go to a dedicated channel/speaker only? where do these get positioned, in a circle? what spacing/angles? what size have these galleries?

p.s. sometimes there is good reason to avoid the center channel; nevertheless, you could still do 5.1 or 7.1 mixes but put nothing into the center channel and create a phantom center (at the price of less separation between instruments/speakers)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search