The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Preamp to buy under €500 for Drums
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Which Preamp to buy under €500 for Drums

Hey Guys,

This is my fisrt thread and hope ye can help me out.

I am a recording and mixing hobbiest, who like many of you, wanted to record my own music and got engulfed in the world of audio. Now I am smitten and love everything to do with music production.

My question to ye guys is, what preamp under €500 would ye recommend for drum overhead mics, drum room mics, toms etc.. I already have 2 no. Golden Age Project Pre-73 that i use on my snare and kick and am fairly happy with them.

I am not looking to break the bank and don't want to waste money either.

Up until recently i have been using the built in Pres on my Tascam 16x08 Interface. They are ok but I would like to up the quality of my productions.

I have been looking at the Black Lion Auteur, FMR Audio RNP, ART Pro MPA II etc. so generally a 2no. input output pre would be what i'm looking for (overheads) Are there any others ye can recommend?

I also don't want anyone saying, its the room, mic placement etc., I already know all that. I just want your recommendation on some good quality budget Preamps for drums.

Thanks,

Fret
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

No One willing to help out no?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

For overheads, I'd go with something relatively neutral. Your suggestion of the RNP would be just fine for that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
You want a stereo pair of pres for OHs, right? But what about the other drums too?…..Honestly, if the primary goal here is to record drums none of the pres you mentioned at the $500 mark make a lot of sense and would be far from my first choice for that application. Ideally you won’t something that’s not very colored and that’s rather clean and neutral. If it were me I’d either buy the Behringer U-Phoria 12 channel version or the Soundcraft MTK 12, the latter hitting right at around that $500 mark and the former being around $300. Both will give you 12 inputs and nice, relatively clean pres that offer plenty of headroom.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

My goal is to up the quality of the preamps on my interface for my overheads primarily, i have more than enough inputs on my interface to cover the drum kit but the overheads are to me the most important part of drum recordings so I guess I just want to make sure i'm getting the best quality and detail i can within my price range
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
What interface are you using? The main reason I ask is to get an idea of good contrast to what you already have. Whatever you decide, you'll need two channels of it, and I would seriously suggest something clean and neutral as possible.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 View Post
What interface are you using? The main reason I ask is to get an idea of good contrast to what you already have. Whatever you decide, you'll need two channels of it, and I would seriously suggest something clean and neutral as possible.
The OP stated he uses a Tascam 16x08 Interface.
Old 5 days ago
The StudioProjects VTB-1 might be a good choice. It was fairly cheap, I think I paid about $200 for mine, and its a pretty clean and neutral preamp. It does have a tube in it, but you can use the blend knob to either dial it in or out. It'll go all the way to the tube side, or all the way to the solid state side. The solid state side is pretty damn transparent.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
The OP stated he uses a Tascam 16x08 Interface.
I missed that somehow...thanks.....

The VTB 1 is actually a decent little pre....I've had one since 2004, and it's been great....got mine as a B-stock from PMI for like $75, and it's still kicking.....

The OP could easily get two of them for well under $500, but I wouldn't say they're super neutral.....the VTB-1 does have coloration, but it also cleans up pretty well.....just not super neutral....I like it on snare and kick fine....OHs?....it wouldn't be my first choice.....
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help fellows, the studio projects vtb1 looks interesting, i'll check it out
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search