The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MXL V67 overhaul
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Post MXL V67 overhaul

Hi guys, I´ve been reading the forum researching all the MXL v67 mods you guys have done. This month i got one as a gift (a hi end studio guy told me to take it because it had been unused for some time and he knew i could use it more) so with all the threads about modding the mic i have decided to do 3 things first:

1) A silent sky studios cap kit.

2) A transformer upgrade - advanced audio offers a BV225 Bi metal, dual bobbin transformer. 2.25:1 turns ratio. I wrote to the guys at advanced audio and they told me this transformer would work great with the mic. They told me it would drop the output 2-3db, but that it would add a bit more secondary harmonics, and recover much faster to large transient sources.

3) The classic headbasket mod.

I want to do these upgrades before changing the capsule, to hear how much the mic will improve. If i decide to use another capsule in the mic, i will use the Advanced audio AK12.
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Addict

The most noticeable difference I got from the v67 upgrade was swapping out the C3 capacitor for a much higher value.

As it stands, the major issue with the v67 is that big 'ol high frequency bump around 8-10 khz. I like having that presence boost there. There's just too much of it.

You can tame that peak by about 3-4 dbs if you change C3 to a higher value like 640 pF, and the end result is a much smoother-sounding mic. The presence boost is still there, it's just less pronounced and closer to that of the U87, which it tries to mimic.

However, if you decide to use the AK12, then I would leave that capacitor value as-is. The AK12 doesn't have that huge presence peak, so if you were to change that capacitor value to something higher, then that would likely make the microphone too dark. So in short, if you use the stock capsule, then consider changing C3 to 640 pF. And if you go with the AK12, then leave it at 220 pF, perhaps even lower.

That's just my recommendation, and something for you to consider.
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Unit Sound View Post
The most noticeable difference I got from the v67 upgrade was swapping out the C3 capacitor for a much higher value.

As it stands, the major issue with the v67 is that big 'ol high frequency bump around 8-10 khz. I like having that presence boost there. There's just too much of it.

You can tame that peak by about 3-4 dbs if you change C3 to a higher value like 640 pF, and the end result is a much smoother-sounding mic. The presence boost is still there, it's just less pronounced and closer to that of the U87, which it tries to mimic.

However, if you decide to use the AK12, then I would leave that capacitor value as-is. The AK12 doesn't have that huge presence peak, so if you were to change that capacitor value to something higher, then that would likely make the microphone too dark. So in short, if you use the stock capsule, then consider changing C3 to 640 pF. And if you go with the AK12, then leave it at 220 pF, perhaps even lower.

Thank you, as i purchased the silent sky cap mod indont know if any pf the cap values change. However as soon as it arrives, ill take a look. However knowing myself... i think i will install the c12 capsule in the future. Thank you!

PD: If i do decide to leave the k67 capsule, i will change the c3

Last edited by rafferty; 5th June 2018 at 07:37 AM..
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Addict

It's a nice capsule and will probably sound pretty good in a v67 housing.
Old 5th June 2018
Gear Addict

Two of the mxl v67 mods I like :

Taming the over-bright high end:

1) Buy an mxl2003a.

2) Yank out it's capsule and put it in the v67.

Now you've got a real nice, neutral sounding mic with a little transformer heft. Just a slightly dirtier and less detailed 2003a. A little more of a throwback mic.

Poor Man's KM184:

1) Replace the stock C3 cap (220 pF) with a 680 uF one. This acts as a high-shelf EQ starting just before the siblant region. Around a -3 db shelf. This really brings that hyped high end back down to something listenable.

2) Buy an mxl990, and replace the capsule in the v67 with the 990's SDC capsule.

Now you've a SDC that sounds pretty close to a Neuman km184. Swapping that capacitor, along with the output transformer, really tames the harshness of that otherwise cheap-sounding mxl 603 / 990 capsule and leaves you with a nice-sounding SDC with a presence boost that's not over-the-top.

Two things that mxl v67 has going for it regarding mods:

1) It's got a negative feedback circuit built in to it. Tailoring a microphon's presence (or lack of) is configurable by a simple change of a < $0.50 part you can order from digikey.

2) Transformer output gives you another thing you can upgrade.
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

1) Buy an mxl2003a.

Now you've got a real nice, neutral sounding mic with a little transformer heft. Just a slightly dirtier and less detailed 2003a. A little more of a throwback mic.

Poor Man's KM184:

1) Replace the stock C3 cap (220 pF) with a 680 uF one. This acts as a high-shelf EQ starting just before the siblant region. Around a -3 db shelf. This really brings that hyped high end back down to something listenable.

2) Buy an mxl990, and replace the capsule in the v67 with the 990's SDC capsule.

Now you've a SDC that sounds pretty close to a Neuman km184. Swapping that capacitor, along with the output transformer, really tames the harshness of that otherwise cheap-sounding mxl 603 / 990 capsule and leaves you with a nice-sounding SDC with a presence boost that's not over-the-top.

1) It's got a negative feedback circuit built in to it. Tailoring a microphon's presence (or lack of) is configurable by a simple change of a < $0.50 part you can order from digikey.

The Caps kit i will get for my mic includes:

The following parts are included in each kit:

(2) Polypropylene Capacitors for c3 and c6
(2) Polarized Electrolytic Capacitors for c4 and c8
(2) Metal Film Capacitors for c1 and c5
(1) Polystyrene (also called "styroflex") capacitor for c2

The values are the same as the factory values.

if you guys think i could add more parts to complement that, let me know the type and name or how could i find them in digikey because i dont have a lot of electronics knowledge. A friend will help me with the soldering and all that
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

1) Buy an mxl2003a.

Poor Man's KM184:

if you could please send me the link to the cap you reccomend, ti would be great. Thank you a lot!
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafferty View Post
if you could please send me the link to the cap you reccomend, ti would be great. Thank you a lot!
I don't recommend it if you're using an AK12 capsule.

But if you're using the stock capsule then this one:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I don't recommend it if you're using an AK12 capsule.

But if you're using the stock capsule then this one:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD
Thank you!!!
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Reading on the advanced audio page, i found the ak67 capsule. The description says it has more damping holes to create a 2-3db tame on the HF of the capsule. So if this is true, those 2-3 db less + the mic de emphasis circuit should sound really good. Alao, this capsule has a little bit more pronounced low end. I think that with the higher quality caps, better transformer and this capsule the mic could achieve a great sound. It will not be overly bright, because the factory hf de emphasis + capsule smoother eq will work together.
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Reading on the advanced audio page, i found the ak67 capsule. The description says it has more damping holes to create a 2-3db tame on the HF of the capsule.
Yea, that would probably be a great match for the v67.

Interestingly, the additional damping holes are what are used with the mxl2003a capsule, and that has a lot flatter response.

There's also the ADK GK-67 capsule. Which already has the u87 response built in. No giant presence peak. But also pretty expensive for a capsule.

https://www.frontendaudio.com/ADK-GK...9999-10326.htm
Old 11th June 2018
You always have the option of buying a 3U Audio CM1 for less than a capsule swap.

If you haven't already been talked out of it, you probably shouldn't do the headbasket mod.
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
You always have the option of buying a 3U Audio CM1 for less than a capsule swap.

If you haven't already been talked out of it, you probably shouldn't do the headbasket mod.
Dont worry i will not do the headbasket mod. I recieved the mxl as a gift so i will overhaul it. I already recieved the transformer and the hi quality capacitors. With the new capsule i know it will sound great! And it costs 80 dollars.
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I don't know about that one. As long as you're not buying from microphone-parts, capsules can be had awful cheap.

Quote:
I haven't heard that one. Can you elaborate? I've done basically half the headbasket mod, just yanking out one extra layer. And I can't say it's changed anything in a noticeable way to be honest.
Old 12th June 2018
Quote:
I don't know about that one. As long as you're not buying from microphone-parts, capsules can be had awful cheap.

I haven't heard that one. Can you elaborate? I've done basically half the headbasket mod, just yanking out one extra layer. And I can't say it's changed anything in a noticeable way to be honest.
Advanced Audio capsules aren't quite as much as Microphone-Parts, but the capsules are still around $100. I'm sure they're good since I've only heard good things about the company, but you could still get a CM1 for around the same price. Of course the replacemebt capsules are also multi pattern. Gonna be honest I had no idea where to source capsules from when I wanted to mod the V67G. Now that I know you can source the RK12 for $30 or so I probably would've just done that and maybe a capacitor mod. But I like my CM1 just fine, still super accurate for my voice.

A lot of people have stopped recommending the headbasket mod because it stops dampening resonance. I guess it hums or something when you get too close?
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Advanced Audio capsules aren't quite as much as Microphone-Parts, but the capsules are still around $100. I'm sure they're good since I've only heard good things about the company, but you could still get a CM1 for around the same price.
Well, these are going for around 30- 50 bucks, which is more manageable:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IDEA...811423489.html

The 3U Audio looks to be a nice mic. But it's also transformerless and it's sound doesn't really attempt to mimic the u87 as closely as the v67 does. To me, the reason you mod a v67 is because you can get it to do a real close imitation of a u87. And like the u87, it has transformer output along with the negative feedback circuit that lets you customize the top end (by changing a capacitor value), similar to what the warblers do with their external switches.

If you want a 3u Audio mic with transformer that will get you something close to the sound of a modded V67, you'd probably be looking at the Warbler MKI for 300 bucks. Versus the modded v67 which might be around a 100 dollar investment total.
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, these are going for around 30- 50 bucks, which is more manageable:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/IDEA...811423489.html

The 3U Audio looks to be a nice mic. But it's also transformerless and it's sound doesn't really attempt to mimic the u87 as closely as the v67 does. To me, the reason you mod a v67 is because you can get it to do a real close imitation of a u87. And like the u87, it has transformer output along with the negative feedback circuit that lets you customize the top end (by changing a capacitor value), similar to what the warblers do with their external switches.

If you want a 3u Audio mic with transformer that will get you something close to the sound of a modded V67, you'd probably be looking at the Warbler MKI for 300 bucks. Versus the modded v67 which might be around a 100 dollar investment total.
High quality caps, 10 bucks.
Transformer from Advanced Audio, 55 bucks.
Advanced Audio k67 capsule, 80 bucks.

145 total investment in a good mic to make it sound great. Also, the AA K67 is descrebied to have better low end and 2-3db less of high freq bump
Old 12th June 2018
Gear Addict

If you change the C3 capacitor to a higher value, you don't need the Advanced Audio capsule. It's just another variation of the same basic thing, and not worth the upgrade in my opinion. The capacitor value change will take the stock capsule and make it sound really good.

Only reason I'd drop in another capsule would be if I were looking for a different sound altogether. The K47s and K12s are real good capsules in their own right, and way different-sounding.
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Well guys i installed the upgrades in the mic, and it sounds GREAT! The low end and the mid lows cleared up and sound focused and not muddy or congested (stock sounded a little muddy, it was really noticeable when working with vocal stacking. The hi frequencies are not harsh and sound a great when stacking. I still think that a higher quality capsule, would improve the mic.
Old 29th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
High quality caps, 10 bucks.
Transformer from Advanced Audio, 55 bucks.
Advanced Audio k67 capsule, 80 bucks.

145 total investment in a good mic to make it sound great. Also, the AA K67 is descrebied to have better low end and 2-3db less of high freq bump
$145 worth of mods to a $60 mic? Thinking it might be better/easier/even cheaper to just get a better mic.

I have heard enough good things about the 67 that I'm considering though, and I mean just using stock.
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
$145 worth of mods to a $60 mic? Thinking it might be better/easier/even cheaper to just get a better mic.

I have heard enough good things about the 67 that I'm considering though, and I mean just using stock.
The mic was a gift, and i haven’t chuange thecapsule yet. So it really is a $65 investment on a free mic, and the truth is, it sounds really good.
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Addict

10 dollars worth of mods if you just count the capacitor swap.

And if there's a 70-dollar mic out there that sounds that good, let me know.
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Exactly! And even if i had payed the mic, i would still feel it is a good investment. A $100 dollars mic (new) + $10 caps + $55 transformer. $165 for a mic that for me, sounds really good compared with others double or triple the investment price. The improvement was so good, i am really considering a better k67 capsule to complete the transformation.
Old 30th June 2018
Did it help make the mic more natural sounding (like more accurately reproducing the sound with a good amount of detail) or is it still grainy and kinda saturated but with less high end? I'm thinking about doing the capacitor mod to an iSK BM-600. It sounds like you may not have done the upgraded C3 to increase the HF roll off though.
Quote:

As much as people like to complain about MXL's mics a few mods makes 'em great and they're pretty useable IMO for $60 for a V67, even better if you find it on sale for $40. I've heard it sound at least okay on everything, and it worked well on my voice.
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
As it stands, the major issue with the v67 is that big 'ol high frequency bump around 8-10 khz. I like having that presence boost there. There's just too much of it..
? Doesn't look like much of a bump to me: MXL® Microphones - MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone I haven't used but always heard they were a very warm mic (as LDCs go).

Quote:
As much as people like to complain about MXL's mics
Funny I've mostly heard good things, granted mostly as a "good bang for the buck" or some say just good, period.
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Addict

Whatever the published response is, disregard it. It's a fantasy.

The presence bump is there and it's way too pronounced. No, the capsule isn't harsh. No it's not grainy. It's real close to a u87 capsule. And if you put a u87 capsule in it, that presence peak would still be there and it would sound harsh.

The problem is and always has been the C3 capacitor value. Change it to a larger value and enjoy the closest thing to a u87 for less than 500 bucks. Simple as that.
Old 30th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
? Doesn't look like much of a bump to me: MXL® Microphones - MXL V67G Large Capsule Condenser Microphone I haven't used but always heard they were a very warm mic (as LDCs go).

Funny I've mostly heard good things, granted mostly as a "good bang for the buck" or some say just good, period.
I think it depends on which mic it is, though I have seen quite a bit of praise for the MXL V67 which is probably still one of the better cheap mics. I don't know if I'd call it warm, but mine was pretty balanced sounding to me. Or maybe it just worked really well on my voice.

Unfortunately because the pro audio community is so small and the V67G doesn't seem to be super common (at least outside Gearslutz) it's hard to find decent samples.
Quote:
Whatever the published response is, disregard it. It's a fantasy.

The presence bump is there and it's way too pronounced. No, the capsule isn't harsh. No it's not grainy. It's real close to a u87 capsule. And if you put a u86 capsule in it, that presence peak would still be there and it would sound harsh.

The problem is and always has been the C3 capacitor value. Change it to a larger value and enjoy the closest thing to a u87 for less than 500 bucks. Simple as that.
Have you heard of similar mods in other mics? I'm thinking of buying a BM-600 and replacing C3 with a 680 pF capacitor which should accomplish something similar since the BM-600 is supposed to also have a pretty decent K67 capsule, HF de-emphasis, and a transformer.
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Addict

Yes there's a **** ton of other mics that are the exact same mic (basically) as the x67. Most notably the SE2200a and about 20 others I forget.

And the AKG Perception. Which isn't the same exact mic but it's another close copy of the u87 and thus benefits from the same modification. Only reason it's not widely mentioned is because surface mount. Which actually isn't that big of a deal but whatever. Another mic that sounds great with the same mod.
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Well guys, i didnt do the c3 value mod, because i wanted to test it first. The mic sounds great (i could give it a 7.5/10), and even though i like a lot the sound, its still a little bit grainy and harsh, just a bit! i think that with a better capsule it will sound great.

I asked the original owner since when he had the mic and he told me thinks he bought it in 2007, when the capsule quality in mxl was not as good (i have read that in some forums). Still, the advanced audio capsule, claims to have a more focused and less condensed low end and a 2db decrease in the freq bump. Yes, i could achieve the freq reduction in the circuit, but i think a better capsule, with a better response, would be the icing in the cake.

This mic is a personal proyect, so if i can achieve taking it to a useful sound that I love, it will be great!

Imagine if i am happy with it, that am strongly considering buying another one to mod, but using a C12 capsule.
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

If you end up investing $145 in that mic and it makes it noticeably better you have been successful. The 67 costs $70 and the total investment will be under $300 What kind of a better than good LDC can you buy for under $300? There are none. But you can potentially end up with a $1000 mic if you do the mods. The V67 is a nice looking mic too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search