The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MXL V67 overhaul
Old 3rd July 2018
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
rafferty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
If you end up investing $145 in that mic and it makes it noticeably better you have been successful. The 67 costs $70 and the total investment will be under $300 What kind of a better than good LDC can you buy for under $300? There are none. But you can potentially end up with a $1000 mic if you do the mods. The V67 is a nice looking mic too.

Exactly, sometimes the satisfaction of modding a mic and giving it a great sound you like, is better than buying a mic. Its a matter of perspective
Old 3rd July 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Lance Lawson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafferty View Post
Exactly, sometimes the satisfaction of modding a mic and giving it a great sound you like, is better than buying a mic. Its a matter of perspective
It can be a matter of better sound as well. A while back I shelled out $18 for one of those cheap BM 800 condenser mics. I removed the old capsule and fitted it with a bigger and better TSB capsule then I modded it to make is quieter. The result is a warm smooth excellent sounding mic. Total outlay was $34 for mic and capsule and about $6 for some capacitors and diodes. The days are gone where Shure and Neumann are the only games in town. Shure and Neumann make fine mics but the genie is out of the bottle so to speak

Last edited by Lance Lawson; 3rd July 2018 at 07:03 PM..
Old 3rd July 2018
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Wavebourn's Avatar
 

If you want more that placebo effect, you need to add only 1 cheap resistor.

Why?

The schematic was designed long time ago in Germany. Transistors then had low beta because technology was still in development. But they were German, so their beta tolerance was pretty narrow. So, biasing a transistor using a single resistor that supplied base current was fine then.

Now when Chinese comrades copied that schematic they use modern transistors. They have much higher beta because they are modern. But they have pretty wide tolerances, because they are not German.

The result is, some microphones are fine, other distorts on high SPL, but some sound harsh even on low SPL. That's why there are so many opinions.

All you need, is to add a single resistor, to bias the transistor using a resistive divider.

The result would be great, without any caps, transformers, or capsules replaced.

www.wavebourn.com • View topic - Marshal MXL V67g microphones
Old 3rd July 2018
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
If you end up investing $145 in that mic and it makes it noticeably better you have been successful. The 67 costs $70 and the total investment will be under $300 What kind of a better than good LDC can you buy for under $300? There are none. But you can potentially end up with a $1000 mic if you do the mods. The V67 is a nice looking mic too.
Yeah that shape and color scheme is great. Looks kinda like a short C12 VR and I really dig that vintage vibe. People are too used to the U87 style bodies, which is a nice look too, but that doesn't mean that other mic styles are bad. If I had the electronics building skills I'd get a V67G and add a switch PCB so I could make it multipattern. Though I have a feeling that would require an entirely new circuit so it would probably just be a V67 shell. Maybe when I pick up a cheap mic to mod I'll just paint it green and look for a rounded gold coloured head basket. Though I don't know how well that would work with a U87 sound. A round headbasket changed the sound doesn't it?
Old 10th July 2018
  #35
Here for the gear
I have a old MXL 1006 I had the silent sky mod done by a tech.$8.95 for the caps. 50.00 for the labor. it was well worth it.the mic sounds much better.more transparent

Last edited by axlstrat1; 10th July 2018 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 10th July 2018
  #36
Gear Maniac
 
rafferty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlstrat1 View Post
I have a old MXL 1006 I had the silent sky mod done by a tech.$8.95 for the caps. 50.00 for the labor. it was well worth it.the mic sounds much better.more transparent

Yes, it really helps, and is a way to keep using old mics! is better to upgrade a mic and keep using it, than letting it abandoned in a drawer.
Old 11th July 2018
  #37
I had a Joly modded V67 and I did side by side tests with an MXL V63M that I got for $30. Surprisingly, the V63m sounded much better than the Joly modded V67. I sold the V67 and still use the V63M quite a bit. The V63m is the Schoeps circuit which is the same as in the MCA SP1 and other MXLs but with a large capsule. Much smoother sounding mic.
Old 11th September 2018
  #38
Gear Nut
 

nvrmnd
Old 4 weeks ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 
vicenzajay's Avatar
 

Resurrecting this..

Bringing the thread back from the dead just to note that I did the "silentsky" mod to my v67g today. I did, however, swap in a 680pf/100v 2.5% wima cap into C3 instead of the stock value cap provided in the modification kit.

The mod went quite smoothly - I did have to detach four wires (two capsule and 2 "inter-pcb") in order to get the appropriate access to the necessary components. Relatively easy mod if you go slow and don't go crazy with your iron.

Sounds really, really good - quite smooth and very expensive sounding with the higher cap value in C3. The noise floor is *much better as well (probably a cumulative effect of the overall cap swap as C1-C8 are all changed out for better components).

This is with the stock capsule/transformer. It's really an exceptional mic at this point.

I'm going to do another one to have an 87'ish pair to throw up without apology on any number of sources. I have several Joly pairs of 47'ish mics as well as some fantastic modeling mics as primaries, but I would not be embarrassed at all to use these as front-runners on top-flight projects.

Just my .02
Old 4 weeks ago
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
Bringing the thread back from the dead just to note that I did the "silentsky" mod to my v67g today. I did, however, swap in a 680pf/100v 2.5% wima cap into C3 instead of the stock value cap provided in the modification kit.

The mod went quite smoothly - I did have to detach four wires (two capsule and 2 "inter-pcb") in order to get the appropriate access to the necessary components. Relatively easy mod if you go slow and don't go crazy with your iron.

Sounds really, really good - quite smooth and very expensive sounding with the higher cap value in C3. The noise floor is *much better as well (probably a cumulative effect of the overall cap swap as C1-C8 are all changed out for better components).

This is with the stock capsule/transformer. It's really an exceptional mic at this point.

I'm going to do another one to have an 87'ish pair to throw up without apology on any number of sources. I have several Joly pairs of 47'ish mics as well as some fantastic modeling mics as primaries, but I would not be embarrassed at all to use these as front-runners on top-flight projects.

Just my .02
If you have a 1000pF capacitor, you could throw that in a similar mic and it should be quite U67 like (minus the tube saturation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
If you want more that placebo effect, you need to add only 1 cheap resistor.

Why?

The schematic was designed long time ago in Germany. Transistors then had low beta because technology was still in development. But they were German, so their beta tolerance was pretty narrow. So, biasing a transistor using a single resistor that supplied base current was fine then.

Now when Chinese comrades copied that schematic they use modern transistors. They have much higher beta because they are modern. But they have pretty wide tolerances, because they are not German.

The result is, some microphones are fine, other distorts on high SPL, but some sound harsh even on low SPL. That's why there are so many opinions.

All you need, is to add a single resistor, to bias the transistor using a resistive divider.

The result would be great, without any caps, transformers, or capsules replaced.

www.wavebourn.com • View topic - Marshal MXL V67g microphones
Yeah, this is where the issue lies. An improperly biased FET (which all of the cheap mass produced Chinese U87 copies have) needs a higher value capacitor than they use. But if you properly bias the FET, the 220pF cap will work properly like it's supposed to. Alternatively you could also use a flatter capsule than the usual 32mm K67 suspect. But you're better off just swapping the capacitor or biasing the FET.

The capacitor swap is the paint by numbers version for people who don't know how to add components to an already designed PCB.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #41
Gear Addict
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

I say save for the best capsule you can afford.
90% of mic tone is the capsule.
The mic amp part the other 10%.

It’s like a speaker change on a guitar amp.
Can make a huge difference.
The raggedy top end of a China capsule will never change, you can use filtering to reduce it, but a better capsule will work better every time.
And is the lowest cost option to get a very high end mic.

Many small batch handmade capsule options exist today...
Just my take.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 
vicenzajay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
I say save for the best capsule you can afford.
90% of mic tone is the capsule.
The mic amp part the other 10%.

It’s like a speaker change on a guitar amp.
Can make a huge difference.
The raggedy top end of a China capsule will never change, you can use filtering to reduce it, but a better capsule will work better every time.
And is the lowest cost option to get a very high end mic.

Many small batch handmade capsule options exist today...
Just my take.
True, but the x67 capsule in the v67g is actually quite serviceable. As an earlier poster noted, the biggest change here is the C3 cap...as the circuit is very similar to the standard 87 circuit (on the preamp pcb).

And the cost of the cap change is, literally $13 to change caps C1-C8. It's really less than 10% of the cost of a capsule swap.

A v67g is never going to challenge a "real" 87...so a realistic goal here needs to be kept in mind - namely, making a remarkably good (for very low cost) microphone better enough to be a viable option for professional (i.e., paid) recording services. The cap change does that - for *much* less than either a transformer or capsule replacement. If I'm going to commit $150 for a new capsule, then it would be wiser to spring for a mic-mod 87 clone kit for about twice that. The end result of that approach will rival a vintage 87, depending on condition and component "shape" of the vintage mic.

In this case, I already had a v67g - so spending $13 to upgrade it was an easy decision. I'm going to do another one as well, giving me an excellent pair of overhead or stereo (blumlein or otherwise deployed) microphones for utility duty for less than a dinner at a nice restaurant. Granted, if you want the 680pf cap for C3, you'll have to buy that separately, but I bought ten of them for something like six bucks total, so really I'm at $13.65 or so for the mod (plus my time).

In my case, the juice was more than worth the squeeze. The mic sounds fantastic, non-hyped, smooth, and expensive at this. The noise floor is exceptional as well. Pretty incredible for $80 or so total (which includes the cost of the mic itself). That's about half the cost of a new capsule by itself.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #43
Gear Addict
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

A mic mod kit , will still have a China capsule and a ragged top end. The mic amp will not change that.
That is the point I am trying to make.
A mic amp filter will not fix a China capsule , been their done that, just saying..

A good capsule starts more around $300 to 500, and go up.
I still have my very first lcm I ever owned, it’s been gutted, it runs a modified km84 mic amp, its one jfet is a small batch part made in California, and $4 a pop, it’s one signal cap is oil and foil, stower transformers and a now beezknees m7,
That mic works on almost anything...it is a true pro level mic now. I used to lend it to a few studios I work with till one day I got it back with the then cathedral pipes m7 damaged, and that ended that program. The beezknees m7 went in.

And that is what it takes. Expensive parts , no way around that.
I have a pile of experimentation mics with China capsules that missed the mark, ok mics, not pro level though...yet do work on some sources.

If you have not used a high end capsule , or vintage Neumann you will not understand.

I have tried just about everything a person can with China capsules, Skinned in different places, with different stuff...
The plotted result is the same ...a ragged top end.
I have spent a few years with filtering to tame it.
The problem is not the peaks, it’s the valleys next to it, filter the top peaks off to get flat, you have a hole..
And mic gets honky, the best I could ever achieve with a China capsules is a compromise at best.
But never very flat. Or very close to a real Newmann... and problems arise with a few tracks on the same mic with a jagged top end when mixing.

A few caps will never change that.
It can make a bad capsule somewhat better, but never great.
I have 2 u87 clones, same stower transformers, same capacitors same resistors, same pcb, same body and head baskets.
One has a hiserman capsule , one a China capsule skinned in Denmark, lots of promising talk on this capsule on groupdiy, by people who have now vanished from groupdiy....lol anyway
The difference is huge...stark and drastically different.
The 3-400 I spent on the USA built capsule was well worth it.
It’s something to consider.

If you are happy with what you have so be it.
Enjoy it, make music.











Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
True, but the x67 capsule in the v67g is actually quite serviceable. As an earlier poster noted, the biggest change here is the C3 cap...as the circuit is very similar to the standard 87 circuit (on the preamp pcb).

And the cost of the cap change is, literally $13 to change caps C1-C8. It's really less than 10% of the cost of a capsule swap.

A v67g is never going to challenge a "real" 87...so a realistic goal here needs to be kept in mind - namely, making a remarkably good (for very low cost) microphone better enough to be a viable option for professional (i.e., paid) recording services. The cap change does that - for *much* less than either a transformer or capsule replacement. If I'm going to commit $150 for a new capsule, then it would be wiser to spring for a mic-mod 87 clone kit for about twice that. The end result of that approach will rival a vintage 87, depending on condition and component "shape" of the vintage mic.

In this case, I already had a v67g - so spending $13 to upgrade it was an easy decision. I'm going to do another one as well, giving me an excellent pair of overhead or stereo (blumlein or otherwise deployed) microphones for utility duty for less than a dinner at a nice restaurant. Granted, if you want the 680pf cap for C3, you'll have to buy that separately, but I bought ten of them for something like six bucks total, so really I'm at $13.65 or so for the mod (plus my time).

In my case, the juice was more than worth the squeeze. The mic sounds fantastic, non-hyped, smooth, and expensive at this. The noise floor is exceptional as well. Pretty incredible for $80 or so total (which includes the cost of the mic itself). That's about half the cost of a new capsule by itself.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 
vicenzajay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
A mic mod kit , will still have a China capsule and a ragged top end. The mic amp will not change that.
That is the point I am trying to make.
A mic amp filter will not fix a China capsule , been their done that, just saying..

A good capsule starts more around $300 to 500, and go up.
I still have my very first lcm I ever owned, it’s been gutted, it runs a modified km84 mic amp, its one jfet is a small batch part made in California, and $4 a pop, it’s one signal cap is oil and foil, stower transformers and a now beezknees m7,
That mic works on almost anything...it is a true pro level mic now. I used to lend it to a few studios I work with till one day I got it back with the then cathedral pipes m7 damaged, and that ended that program. The beezknees m7 went in.

And that is what it takes. Expensive parts , no way around that.
I have a pile of experimentation mics with China capsules that missed the mark, ok mics, not pro level though...yet do work on some sources.

If you have not used a high end capsule , or vintage Neumann you will not understand.

I have tried just about everything a person can with China capsules, Skinned in different places, with different stuff...
The plotted result is the same ...a ragged top end.
I have spent a few years with filtering to tame it.
The problem is not the peaks, it’s the valleys next to it, filter the top peaks off to get flat, you have a hole..
And mic gets honky, the best I could ever achieve with a China capsules is a compromise at best.
But never very flat. Or very close to a real Newmann... and problems arise with a few tracks on the same mic with a jagged top end when mixing.

A few caps will never change that.
It can make a bad capsule somewhat better, but never great.
I have 2 u87 clones, same stower transformers, same capacitors same resistors, same pcb, same body and head baskets.
One has a hiserman capsule , one a China capsule skinned in Denmark, lots of promising talk on this capsule on groupdiy, by people who have now vanished from groupdiy....lol anyway
The difference is huge...stark and drastically different.
The 3-400 I spent on the USA built capsule was well worth it.
It’s something to consider.

If you are happy with what you have so be it.
Enjoy it, make music.
Nope,

This mic has nothing like a ragged top end at this point. It's very, very smooth - as smooth or smoother than my Peluso tube mic and both sets of my Joly "47" modded LDC matched pairs - so yes, a few caps will actually change that.

I also have used and tracked through numerous vintage 87s and 47s - benefit of having some very good friends who have served as national officers for AES on the West Coast (and have just mind-blowing mic lockers). I'm not a stranger to excellent microphones, not all of which are vintage, by the way.

There's NO way, even with a capsule swap, an MXL mic of this type is going to match an 87, but a few caps being swapped does in fact make a huge difference - whether you want to admit it or not. I'm not new at this game either, so please don't infer that I'm not hearing what I am, indeed, hearing.

I also find it odd that you have so much of an axe to grind here. The thread really focused on the mods available for the 67g that made a difference. The C3 swap was a very common topic through the thread, so coming in at this point to tell me I'm not on point is a bit off-putting. I never said that the mic "became an 87". In fact, I said something quite opposite.

What I did say was that the C1-8 swap, to include a higher rated cap for C3, made a very noticeable difference for the better. I said it sounded very expensive, and that the originally hyped "presence boost" was tamed quite nicely.

What in that statement grates your gears? Are you trying to sell capsules yourself? Like I said in an earlier post, if I'm going to spend that much on an American capsule, I'm going to buy a clone kit from microphone parts and build a virtual 87 that has demonstrably fairly identical frequency response to the real thing. That's NOT what was being attempted here - as I've said (now three times), the goal of this mod was to make a very inexpensive mic quite serviceable in a professional capacity.

It did that - end of story.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #45
Gear Addict
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

I have no axe to grind.

I don’t sell anything, my clients I have worked with 20 plus years, not looking for any more..
So I am good on that...

What you are claiming is not possible.
Do you even have test gear ?

That’s all I am saying, I know better not only from testing, but having a few studios running mics I have built.
They have most all the classics....

A China capsule has a ragged top end, show me even an simple impulse response of one that’s even remotely flat, I will eat my words.

Deal?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #46
Lives for gear
 
vicenzajay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
I have no axe to grind.

I don’t sell anything, my clients I have worked with 20 plus years, not looking for any more..
So I am good on that...

What you are claiming is not possible.
Do you even have test gear ?

That’s all I am saying, I know better not only from testing, but having a few studios running mics I have built.
They have most all the classics....

A China capsule has a ragged top end, show me even an simple impulse response of one that’s even remotely flat, I will eat my words.

Deal?
Why don't you buy an older 67g, get the caps and do the swap - then show me how the mic isn't better with regards to smoothness and high end response afterwards? How's that for a deal?

To say that high end response cannot be made smoother and the noise floor cleaned up with upgraded internal components is ludicrous. You obviously *do have an axe to grind, and you also have some deep seated need "to be right". I suggest counseling.

What I am claiming is most certainly possible - and it is attested to by others in this thread and MANY others if you take the time to just do a google search about the very same mic this thread is about. For crying out loud, M. Joly and others, while agreeing that a capsule swap is a good move with the mic, still insisted that both the capsule and the transformer on the mic AT ITS PRICE POINT was well above average.

For some reason, you've gotten it into your head that I'm arguing 'against' your suggestion that a capsule swap will make a bigger difference. I never said that, and I never will. In fact, I'm not arguing at all. I'm just saying the microphone is better after modification. You, on the other hand, are on some kind of crusade to prove me wrong. Have at it. This is like talking to someone with a fixation issue - the needle is just motoring against one of the stops without allowing any processing of other information.

I'm done responding to you. Have fun with your mics. I'll have fun with mine.

To the original point of this thread - you CAN make your mic better by upgrading internal components. In this case, C3 is (as moon unit sound explained so well earlier in this thread) an especially crucial point to address if you want to lessen the high frequency presence boost in the stock capsule. It will do that. If you do a complete preamp pcb cap swap (which silent sky studios provides at very little cost), you'll also notice a cleaner noise floor and an overall silkier feel to the sonics it provides.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to make it into some 87 clone - then either follow my interlocutor's advice and spend $250-300 for a capsule, or just add $50 to that and buy mic parts s87 entire clone kit mic - which probably sounds more like an 87 than many vintage 87's given age and component wear.

Wow, I don't get chafed very often on the internet, but this has been an exceptionally annoying exchange. I've literally only put 2 or 3 total folks on my ignore list in almost 15 years on the board. Guess the list will grow by one today.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
Why don't you buy an older 67g, get the caps and do the swap - then show me how the mic isn't better with regards to smoothness and high end response afterwards? How's that for a deal?

To say that high end response cannot be made smoother and the noise floor cleaned up with upgraded internal components is ludicrous. You obviously *do have an axe to grind, and you also have some deep seated need "to be right". I suggest counseling.

What I am claiming is most certainly possible - and it is attested to by others in this thread and MANY others if you take the time to just do a google search about the very same mic this thread is about. For crying out loud, M. Joly and others, while agreeing that a capsule swap is a good move with the mic, still insisted that both the capsule and the transformer on the mic AT ITS PRICE POINT was well above average.

For some reason, you've gotten it into your head that I'm arguing 'against' your suggestion that a capsule swap will make a bigger difference. I never said that, and I never will. In fact, I'm not arguing at all. I'm just saying the microphone is better after modification. You, on the other hand, are on some kind of crusade to prove me wrong. Have at it. This is like talking to someone with a fixation issue - the needle is just motoring against one of the stops without allowing any processing of other information.

I'm done responding to you. Have fun with your mics. I'll have fun with mine.

To the original point of this thread - you CAN make your mic better by upgrading internal components. In this case, C3 is (as moon unit sound explained so well earlier in this thread) an especially crucial point to address if you want to lessen the high frequency presence boost in the stock capsule. It will do that. If you do a complete preamp pcb cap swap (which silent sky studios provides at very little cost), you'll also notice a cleaner noise floor and an overall silkier feel to the sonics it provides.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to make it into some 87 clone - then either follow my interlocutor's advice and spend $250-300 for a capsule, or just add $50 to that and buy mic parts s87 entire clone kit mic - which probably sounds more like an 87 than many vintage 87's given age and component wear.

Wow, I don't get chafed very often on the internet, but this has been an exceptionally annoying exchange. I've literally only put 2 or 3 total folks on my ignore list in almost 15 years on the board. Guess the list will grow by one today.
I'm gonna be honest, I would never spend that much on a K67 capsule. There are a ton of good capsules for $100 USD or less, that can get close enough to the U87 sound. 797's capsules work really well actually, and I wouldn't hesitate to build a mic with Guosheng's capsules either. I will agree a C12/C414 clone needs an expensive properly made CK12 style capsules, which is because the cheap Chinese ones are closer to K67s with edge termination.

If I'm spending $300 on a capsule to build a U87 style mic, I'm just gonna buy the 3U Audio Warbler MKID because it's only an extra $50 and gets really close.

And yes, I know people on GroupDIY who use both cheap and expensive capsules and measure them (as well as having U87s to compare them to). Yes a closer capsule will help, but it's more in the sense that it requires less corrective EQ than anything else. Even Neumann's K67 won't sound great in flat circuit. The point of the EQ circuitry is to smoothen out the peaks and high end lift in the K67 (if it didn't have the boost it'd probably have a dip like Oktava's MK219/319/220 capsules).

As for the kits, the capsules seem to be very similar to or identical to the ones iSK makes. So you could always use one of the sub $50 ones from WGTcenter, a used donor body from eBay, and the PCB and components from Microphone-Parts.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 4 weeks ago at 06:50 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #48
Lives for gear
 
vicenzajay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
I'm gonna be honest, I would never spend that much on a K67 capsule. There are a ton of good capsules for $100 USD or less, that can get close enough to the U87 sound. 797's capsules work really well actually, and I wouldn't hesitate to build a mic with Guosheng's capsules either. I will agree a C12/C414 clone needs an expensive properly made CK12 style capsules, which is because the cheap Chinese ones are closer to K67s with edge termination.

If I'm spending $300 on a capsule to build a U87 style mic, I'm just gonna buy the 3U Audio Warbler MKID because it's only an extra $50 and gets really close.

And yes, I know people on GroupDIY who use both cheap and expensive capsules and measure them (as well as having U87s to compare them to). Yes a closer capsule will help, but it's more in the sense that it requires less corrective EQ than anything else. Even Neumann's K67 won't sound great in flat circuit. The point of the EQ circuitry is to smoothen out the peaks and high end lift in the K67 (if it didn't have the boost it'd probably have a dip like Oktava's MK219/319/220 capsules).

As for the kits, the capsules seem to be very similar to or identical to the ones iSK makes. So you could always use one of the sub $50 ones from WGTcenter, a used donor body from eBay, and the PCB and components from Microphone-Parts.
Agreed...

Again, what I have been saying here is super simple. It is that you can get the v67g to sound fairly nice very inexpensively. No, it's not the "best" mod you can make to the microphone. Yes, a capsule swap will make a bigger difference, of course.

The issue seems to be (as I said 4 or 5 posts ago) the goal you have as an end-state for the mic. If you want an 87 clone, you're going to have to elevate the process to a different level of componentry change and price point. Even with a $100-125 capsule and accompanying internal components modifications, I think both you and I are arguing for the same thing - namely that investing in a kit with a good track record in that role (i.e., as a clone) is perhaps a better solution.

On the other hand, if all you want is a serviceable mic that takes well to EQ, doesn't hype the 7-12K frequency band, and has a very clean noise floor, then perhaps $14'ish and an hour or less with a soldering iron can get you there. The v67g has always been a microphone that punched above its price point in a stock configuration. Making it noticeably better for little money/time seems a valid goal. If this is the end-state desired (which it was in my case), then there is a way to get there that doesn't require triple digit spending and more invasive internal modification.

It just seems strange that my original point was so contentious - that somehow being able to make a microphone sound better for not much money/time is either inconceivable or something that challenges someone's self-security or feelings about microphones in general. I could understand it if I claimed that the mic "became an 87 with a capacitor change". I didn't do that. I could also understand it if I claimed that this simple modification was the "end all, be all" for this mic. I also didn't do that.

It's like I'm in some state of reality where English and the rules of standard logic have been subtly morphed such that folks are speaking past one another even while directly addressing each other.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 
tymish's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
I have no axe to grind.

I don’t sell anything, my clients I have worked with 20 plus years, not looking for any more..
So I am good on that...

What you are claiming is not possible.
Do you even have test gear ?

That’s all I am saying, I know better not only from testing, but having a few studios running mics I have built.
They have most all the classics....

A China capsule has a ragged top end, show me even an simple impulse response of one that’s even remotely flat, I will eat my words.

Deal?
Curious if you've had any experience with the capsules in Violet microphones from Latvia? I have an Amethyst Vintage, seems pretty smooth.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump