The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording 2 singers, one acoustic guitar Condenser Microphones
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

Recording 2 singers, one acoustic guitar

How would you approach this? They play live in studio, no overdubs. Well rehearsed. Think civil wars, simon and garfunkel, etc
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Addict

Put a mic on the guitar. And a mic for each vocalist.

Is this a trick question?
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Head

Yeah, that. Do it as simply as possible, and record in a good space.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Guru

If they're not so rehearsed they can literally do it with their eyes closed, you'll probably want to set them up facing each other. Helps the energy, helps keep the phrasing tight, helps keep the non-player's vocal out of the guitar.

Regarding the sightlines and phrasing, if you're using big mics they may want you to move them slightly to one side. That's fine as long as they're still piehole-oriented.

Also take into consideration whether you want them to work standing or seated. They may already have an opinion about this, and if they do, go with it. If it's open to discussion, the advantages of seated are that they'll stay more or less in one spot, and the guitar playing might be a little cleaner. The upsides to standing are that the overall energy might get a boost, and that extra little bit of distance between the guitar and the player's mouth will help you.
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Unit Sound View Post
Put a mic on the guitar. And a mic for each vocalist.

Is this a trick question?
Ha ha.. no trick..just a newbie
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If they're not so rehearsed they can literally do it with their eyes closed, you'll probably want to set them up facing each other. Helps the energy, helps keep the phrasing tight, helps keep the non-player's vocal out of the guitar.

Regarding the sightlines and phrasing, if you're using big mics they may want you to move them slightly to one side. That's fine as long as they're still piehole-oriented.

Also take into consideration whether you want them to work standing or seated. They may already have an opinion about this, and if they do, go with it. If it's open to discussion, the advantages of seated are that they'll stay more or less in one spot, and the guitar playing might be a little cleaner. The upsides to standing are that the overall energy might get a boost, and that extra little bit of distance between the guitar and the player's mouth will help you.
Cool, thanks!
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
What mics do you have to chose from/work with? Size, patterns, sloppiness of patterns, and the character(s) of mics should matter in this discussion, and you already have the attention here of people I respect.
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
What mics do you have to chose from/work with? Size, patterns, sloppiness of patterns, and the character(s) of mics should matter in this discussion, and you already have the attention here of people I respect.
2 rode nt1
1 rode nt1a
1 mxl stereo mic
A few sm57s
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteflyguy View Post
2 rode nt1
1 rode nt1a
1 mxl stereo mic
A few sm57s
Are these two the newer, black NT1?
Does the MXL mic have a number or name?
Old 19th May 2018
Here for the gear

Yes, the black newer ones.
The mxl is v67q
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear
You have a lot of options. The only mics you have that I have used are the older silver NT1a, which I have come to really dislike, so I wouldn’t use them. (And that is just a strong personal prejudice against that mic, which some people love)
The Black NT1 is getting very good reviews from people I respect. I would use them on the two vocalists. I would put the stereo MXL, which looks to be OK for an odd budget mic, on the acoustic, to give it a bit of stereo spread.
I would be prepared, and prepare the artists, for a fairly long trial and error set up period to get placement, nulls, and polarites as favorable as possible. I would expect bleed and try get the artists and mics fairly close so the bleed is not roomy and boomy.
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

U48 w/singers facing each other, and the guitar player facing them from the side.
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
U48 w/singers facing each other, and the guitar player facing them from the side.
Whoops, forgot this was "low end theory" ..you could try the stereo mic on vocals and one of your others on the guitar.
Old 20th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
You have a lot of options. The only mics you have that I have used are the older silver NT1a, which I have come to really dislike, so I wouldn’t use them. (And that is just a strong personal prejudice against that mic, which some people love)
The Black NT1 is getting very good reviews from people I respect. I would use them on the two vocalists. I would put the stereo MXL, which looks to be OK for an odd budget mic, on the acoustic, to give it a bit of stereo spread.
I would be prepared, and prepare the artists, for a fairly long trial and error set up period to get placement, nulls, and polarites as favorable as possible. I would expect bleed and try get the artists and mics fairly close so the bleed is not roomy and boomy.
Great thank you!
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Head

I'm curious to see what you did and how it turns out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search