The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Billy Childish recording gear! Help! Dynamic Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Billy Childish recording gear! Help!

Hello there! I'm looking to get a similar sound to Billy Childish's albums like Devil in the flesh and Crime against music.

Do you know what gear is he using? 4 track cassette recorder or reel to reel? Is he singin throw the guitar amp or direct to the console? What kind of microphones he use? and how many? I want to get that sort of room and live sound, recording all at the same time, no overdubbing. Any advice? Thank you very much!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

It just sounds like he's mc'ing the guitar going through the guitar amp. Then just plugging a mic in to the input of the same guitar amp, micing it the same way using the same reverb settings, distortion and all that.

You realize that getting that sound is not going to require you to use the exact same gear, right? It should be pretty easy to get that sound. With whatever you have lying around.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the answer! I know that Billy Childish is very lo fi and direct but I would love to know his gear. I like all the hiss and the stomp on the floor. I suppose that with a 4 track cassette recorder I would be okay!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran907 View Post
I suppose that with a 4 track cassette recorder I would be okay!
As long as you have a guitar, a microphone, and an amp with distortion and reverb, you'll be good.

You'll either need a mic chord that terminates to a 1/4" jack, or an adapter. For plugging your vocal mic in to the guitar amp. Just a regular old SM57 or 58 (or similar) should do.

If you like that sound in general, and aren't as concerned with being an exact carbon copy of his technique, you might consider getting a placid audio copperphone. Just to have in your arsenal. It could be part of like your own signature sound. Who needs more copy cats?

https://www.placidaudio.com/products/copperphone/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QPpQbQHDg
Old 6 days ago
Old 4 days ago
I just purchased the Mid-Fi Demo Tape Fuzz pedal, which would be golden for what you are trying to do. It combines trim, eq, compression and distortion. Totally Billy Childish.

Also, for Thee Headcoats sound, don't be afraid to use unconventional percussion and even your mouth for drums.

For conventional drum kits, one or two overhead ribbon mics plus something like an SM58 or 57 (like Moon Unit Sound said) on the snare and an EV RE20 on the bass drum would easily get you there, but pay attention to the room and how it is treated. The room really is more important than the mics. Just about any basic mic made for snare and bass drum would be fine. You can even record one drum at a time and treat the surroundings of each drum. I record most drums this way and assemble the kit in the mix.

Bass guitar can go direct.

Another great pedal is the ZVex Instant LoFi Junky. You can run everything through that.

You don't need tape to get the sound. A DAW is fine. Having an EQ like the FabFilter would be crucial for mixing.

Get Loose!

Last edited by baskervils; 4 days ago at 06:48 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
Another great pedal is the ZVex Instant LoFi Junky. You can run everything through that.

Just heard a demo of that. And wow, is that ever a cool effect.

Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey thanks for the replies!
For ''drums'' I was thinking of use a stomp box straight to the console, so I can tap it with my foot while singing and playing guitar at the same time, I like to record all live and let everything bleed into the others mics.
I'm recording with a Tascam portastudio 424 mkII, it's so simply to use and I have a Danelectro spring king reverb and a Boss Space Echo in the effect buss. The only mics that I have are some sm57 and a green bullet harmonica mic that I use it for vocals.
Those placid mics are awesome, I would love to have the carbonphone! that is the exact tone that im looking for!
I was trying different places to put the mics and I notice that if I put them a little away from the amps I get closer to that sound, it feel more natural to my ears, I want it to sound like you are in the room.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search