The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting 4 headphones to monitor outputs of my Scarlett 18i8 audio interface Headphone Amps
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Connecting 4 headphones to monitor outputs of my Scarlett 18i8 audio interface

I would like to use the monitor outputs of my Scarlett 18i8 audio interface to feed into 4 headphones. After some research (I'm kinda new to all this), I understand that I need to plug an headphone amplifier to the Scarlett's monitor outputs (which are line-level outputs).

However some headphone amplifiers that I find use an headphone-level input, and *not* a line-level output.

Thus my question is: amongst the following products, which ones can take a line level input, rather than a headphone-level input?
1) Behringer Amp800
2) Samson S-Amp
3) Art HeadAMP4
4) PreSonus HP4
5) Any other cheaper headphone amps are welcome (since we are in the Low End Theory part of the forum )

Note that I am on small budget :/

Many thanks to you audiophiles,
Briac
Old 1 week ago
I've got one of these, and it works fine for doing tracks for a few people at a time. Since it has a TRS stereo input, a 1/4" insert cable works perfect for connecting it to 2 (L & R) 1/4" line outputs from a mixer or interface. Runs about 50 bucks new.
Rolls Corporation - Real Sound - Products HA43 Pro Headphone Amp

If each guy needs a separate monitor mix things become a little more complicated, and expensive. For that you need multiple phone buses in your DAW, each feeding separate pairs of interface outputs, which then feed either separate headphone amps or a multichannel headphone amp. Alternatively, a console with multiple Aux bus outputs could be used for this, with the separate mixes set up on the console instead of within the DAW.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bought one of these a couple of years ago - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgI1uPD_BwE

Lets me connect up to 8 sets, 2 per channel. What I like about the unit is I can have it in series with my studio monitors and even when its powered off It has no affect on the monitors sound. Its also got a switch for swapping inputs in case I want to connect something other then the DAW to my speakers.
The meters are very handy and it produces more then enough gain.

As always you want to compare your headphone impedances to the headphone amp. If they are higher then the minimum you should be fine, it wont overheat the circuitry. If the amp is rated for 32 or 64 Ohms and you connect headphones that are 8 ohms, those headphones are going to look like a shorted output to the headphone amps and you risk blowing it when you push the circuitry to overheat. Doesn't happen very often but I've had it happen. I have a Rolls mini Keyboard mixer with two headphone jacks. I was running two sets of headphones off it and then I got nothing but hum. The mixer still worked so I knew the problem was isolated to the headphone amp. I replaced the transistors but no luck. I suspect it blew a coupling cap in line with the signal. I don't use the unit much so its on my To Do list of items to fix.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys.

But this still does not fully answer my question which is:
can I plug the Scarlett monitor output to the inputs of the headphone amps?

The thing I am afraid of, is that some headphones amps require a headphone-level input, while others require a line-leve input, and I am unable to distinguish which requires what. I would like to know (for instance) if the Berhinger Miniamp AMP800 requires a line-level input (such as the Scarlett monitor output in my case).

Many thanks!
Briac
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

It's been a week since you first posted the question, and you still haven't just gone to the manufacturer's websites to read the specs?

That's what you're asking other people to do for you, which lacks initiative, don't you think?!

ps there is no such thing as a 'headphone level' input. Just buy whatever hp amp is within budget and feed it from your interface's line outs/monitor outs - they're all exactly the same spec.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Do you need independent volume controls on all 4? If not, why not just use the headphone outputs you have and 2 of these?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncommonNonsense View Post
Do you need independent volume controls on all 4? If not, why not just use the headphone outputs you have and 2 of these?
Don't you know anything about impedance?

Quickest way to fry an headphone amp is to gang the headphones up in parallel. Its like shorting the output.

Add to that the volume cuts in half when you connect them in parallel so you wind up having to run the volume twice as high which overheats the headphone amp components twice as fast.

If you want to create a jack that wires up the headphones in series then go for it. You wont damage the headphone amp with higher then normal impedance. High impedance is like nothing plugged in at all. Parallel is like a short its Bad news.
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Addict

Also have a look for a Samson C.que 8. Got one cheap off Ebay. You can run it off the monitor outs of your interface.
Attached Thumbnails
Connecting 4 headphones to monitor outputs of my Scarlett 18i8 audio interface-samson_c_que_8.jpg  
Old 11 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetz View Post
It's been a week since you first posted the question, and you still haven't just gone to the manufacturer's websites to read the specs?

That's what you're asking other people to do for you, which lacks initiative, don't you think?!

ps there is no such thing as a 'headphone level' input. Just buy whatever hp amp is within budget and feed it from your interface's line outs/monitor outs - they're all exactly the same spec.
Hi Quetz,
Let's not feed the troll.

To clarify heaphone-level input, do take a look at the following page:
https://441k.com/how-to-connect-a-he...e-3353f0fa915d

Indeed I have browsed much of the web to find an answer, including the manufacturers websites. I could not find a proper answer. If you do have an answer (and your arrogant tone suggested you thought so), do articulate it.

Many thanks,
Briac
Old 10 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer View Post
Also have a look for a Samson C.que 8. Got one cheap off Ebay. You can run it off the monitor outs of your interface.
Thanks that's I wanted to know !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search