The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD vs Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD vs Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD

so i'm about to pull the trigger on either of these. SQ is most important to me and seeing that they both use the MIDAS chips, they should sound the same. So, I'm left at whether it is worth it or not to pay more money for the extra features.

I plan on recording my guitar with 2 mics at the same time and nothing more. taking this into consideration, is it really worth paying the extra money for the 204?
Old 9th May 2018
Deleted e999d8e
There's only a $20 difference in price between the two interfaces. I don't see a huge downside to buying the extra features.
Old 10th May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e View Post
There's only a $20 difference in price between the two interfaces. I don't see a huge downside to buying the extra features.
well I can get it for 40, so it is a little more significant than that. Anyone?
Old 11th May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
well I can get it for 40, so it is a little more significant than that. Anyone?
Mix monitor on 202 is mono, when recording you can only hear one side on headphone.
Mix monitor on 204 has mono switch when activated you can hear on both ears.
This feature is very helpful when monitoring direct without latency.
Old 11th May 2018
Here for the gear

behringer has no standards. buy anything but a behringer.
Old 15th May 2018
The 202HD has no MIDI inputs and it monitors in stereo so channel 1 is left ear only and channel 2 is right ear only. The 204HD has mono and stereo monitoring as well as MIDI inputs.
Old 15th May 2018
Here for the gear

Sorry for slight offtopic, but: Could anyone say for certain, if either of them has balanced outputs? This one guy from Amazon says that these don't:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B00QHURLCW
I might as well go with 404hd, but extra size would be space hog and I don't need additional channels.
Old 15th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by agisten View Post
Sorry for slight offtopic, but: Could anyone say for certain, if either of them has balanced outputs? This one guy from Amazon says that these don't:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B00QHURLCW
I might as well go with 404hd, but extra size would be space hog and I don't need additional channels.
The Amazon user mentions measuring the ring connection and getting zero ohms, thus concluding non-balanced.
The partial schematic below is from a Behringer mixer(Xenyx 1204). The outputs are 'electronically' balanced with a 120 ohm resistor to ground. Cheap way, but works. I suspect the Behringer interface may use this same technique as well. If the Amazon user didn't correctly range the ohmmeter the checking the ohms of the ring connection of the interface he may have interpreted the reading to be zero which lead him to believe unbalanced. Unfortunately Behringer does make this clear on their interface specs.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD vs Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD-electronically-balanced.jpg  
Old 15th May 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thank you for this info!
What I "interesting" is 404hd spec specifically mentioned balanced out right on the page, in addition to including XLR ports in addition to TSRs
Old 3rd January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatMicrophoneDo View Post
behringer has no standards. buy anything but a behringer.
Then what would you reccomend? I just want to buy one for my condenser mic and use it for starting out my youtube channel bc the mic sounds crappy without phantom power.
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear
I recommend you ignore such ridiculous comments, for starters.

Behinger may have been spotty in the past, but it makes good stuff now. If you're sure all you need is one mic jack, IMO go with the UM2, at a mere $40.
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
The Amazon user mentions measuring the ring connection and getting zero ohms, thus concluding non-balanced.
The partial schematic below is from a Behringer mixer(Xenyx 1204). The outputs are 'electronically' balanced with a 120 ohm resistor to ground. Cheap way, but works. I suspect the Behringer interface may use this same technique as well. If the Amazon user didn't correctly range the ohmmeter the checking the ohms of the ring connection of the interface he may have interpreted the reading to be zero which lead him to believe unbalanced. Unfortunately Behringer does make this clear on their interface specs.
Hello Friend, do you have this complete diagram? tks https://static.gearslutz.com/board/i...lies/thumb.gif
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

There are three ways one can build a balanced audio output for a device.

One is transformer balanced, expensive and gives various degrees and types of transformer sound for better or worse.

The second is differentially balanced which requires twice the parts count to produce two seperate signals. Not as expensive as a transformer but still only found in high end gear.

Third is impedance or what I would call pseudo balanced which is very cheap and sort of mostly gets the job done by using a resistor to ground.

This is found on far far more than just Behringer stuff. Unless you are buying top end equipment or at least wannabe top end safe bet is that this is what your gear has for it's "balanced" output.
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIAGO SCHKRAB View Post
Hello Friend, do you have this complete diagram? tks https://static.gearslutz.com/board/i...lies/thumb.gif
Download here.......
https://www.electronica-pt.com/esque...-1204fx-19033/
Old 9th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=MarkF48;14644007]Download here.......
https://www.electronica-pt.com/esque...-1204fx-19033/[/QUOTE

I need the diagram of UMC202, could you help me?
Old 9th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=THIAGO SCHKRAB;14646202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Download here.......
https://www.electronica-pt.com/esque...-1204fx-19033/[/QUOTE

I need the diagram of UMC202, could you help me?
Nope........
📝 Reply