The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it me or did Behringer licence the Auratone name?
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

Is it me or did Behringer licence the Auratone name?

...or am I just living in the Twilight Zone?

I saw one of these on ebay today..

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE *AURATONE*
C50A

It's 30 watts and everything! Looks just like the Behringer but is called AURATONE!

And the price is $199 for one cube!

Last edited by ChristianN; 30th April 2018 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianN View Post
...or am I just living in the Twilight Zone?

I saw one of these on ebay today..

AURATONE
C50A
maybe what you saw was a behritone
Behringer Behritone C50A | Sweetwater
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

or the mandela effect is real
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Behringer don't license stuff, they just go ahead and copy it.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
I wish they still made them, esp. the wood ones.
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstupid View Post
Look at my link. It's says AURATONE right on the speaker and looks just like the Behringer!
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
*BUT* the name "Auratone" is being used on what appears to be a Behritone!
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
*BUT* the name "Auratone" is being used on what appears to be a Behritone!
No, the name Behritone is being used on a counterfeit copy of the Auratone.

The Behritone is no longer available due to patent/copyright infringement
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Look at my link. It's says AURATONE right on the speaker and looks just like the Behringer!
you're right if you look at the last page of the manual it actually says MUSIC Tribe.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It looks to me like Auratone copied Behringer. I have a pair of powered Behritones and they sound like crap, just like they should. They've also held up well the last couple of years. I think I paid $99 for the pair.
L.
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

*just noticed the website is auratone.EU

And this is at the bottom of the page

*Warranty details can be found at music-group.com

So, yeah, looks like Behringer is using the Auratone name on the Behritone.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Very strange. The real thing is still USA-made by the looks of it...
Auratone
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
No, the name Behritone is being used on a counterfeit copy of the Auratone.

The Behritone is no longer available due to patent/copyright infringement
Did you bother clicking the link?

Links below... and Therese things are being sold on eBay / Reverb..

Auratone C50A is NOT on the official Auratone site.. in fact.. there is NO ACTIVE Auratone on the official site:
Official Auratone site link

BUT it is on Auratone dot EU here, and appears to be exactly the same as the Behringer C50A, but it says Auratone on it:
AURATONE DOT EU link
C50A
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Had my first Auratones in the 80's -- they used the Bose 901 drivers -- I believe
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Had my first Auratones in the 80's -- they used the Bose 901 drivers -- I believe
L M A O
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I wish they still made them, esp. the wood ones.
Looks like the wood one is back too.
AURATONE
C5A

Yeah, I guess this is why the Behritone went off the market last year, because it appears that Music Group (Behringer) has bought the rights to the Auratone name and is relaunching them.

So, the question is, are these exactly the same as the Behritone’s, or are there some internal upgrades/amendments?
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
AURATONE
C5A

Yeah, I guess this is why the Behritone went off the market last year, because it appears that Music Group (Behringer) has bought the rights to the Auratone name and is relaunching them.

So, the question is, are these exactly the same as the Behritone’s, or are there some internal upgrades/amendments?
Noice!
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
AURATONE
C5A

I have no idea.. but there better be some upgrades! These "Auratones" are $199 for the pair and still only have 30 watt amps!.. While Avantaones use a 60 watt amp... You can at least run the passive with a better amp.

As far as Behringer buying the name, I'm sure that is understandable. I wonder how much the original company was making... Behringer has economies of scale in their sails... copyrights are worth money... seems like the breesing of a sell sell situation to me.

Relaunching them? They should have made some changes, or do they think we're all scatter brain with short memories?
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

Relaunching them? They should have made some changes...
They did make changes; they put "Auratone" on the name plate and raised the price.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
It looks to me like Auratone copied Behringer. I have a pair of powered Behritones and they sound like crap, just like they should. They've also held up well the last couple of years. I think I paid $99 for the pair.
L.
You got a steal! They re now $199 a pair.

As far as them "sounding like crap as they should," I'm sure you'll get flamed by some Auratone die hards lol... and getting wind of the SOS article comparing Behritones to Auratones, you're probably missing the extra point of using Auratones... as an actual mix tool for actual mixing.. not just quickly checking. Basically, a small but fairly accurate point-source speaker that simply has a narrowed range.
Link: Behringer C5A & C50A |

If one wanted just a crap speaker, one could simply Bluetooth the audio to one's phone.

In the end, Bruce Swedien and Quincy Jones would be the only people anyone would trust with a comparative review. "Hey Bruce, hey Quincy! Would y'all have mixed Thriller on Behritones?"

Anyhow.. to sell sell sell, you really need an endorsement frim at least one of these guys.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aste View Post
They did make changes; they put "Auratone" on the name plate and raised the price.
Lol. The doubling in price probably came from the increased base cost from licencing the name.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You got a steal! They re now $199 a pair.

As far as them "sounding like crap as they should," I'm sure you'll get flamed by some Auratone die hards lol... and getting wind of the SOS article comparing Behritones to Auratones, you're probably missing the extra point of using Auratones... as an actual mix tool for actual mixing.. not just quickly checking. Basically, a small but fairly accurate point-source speaker that simply has a narrowed range.
Link: Behringer C5A & C50A |

If one wanted just a crap speaker, one could simply Bluetooth the audio to one's phone.

In the end, Bruce Swedien and Quincy Jones would be the only people anyone would trust with a comparative review. "Hey Bruce, hey Quincy! Would y'all have mixed Thriller on Behritones?"

Anyhow.. to sell sell sell, you really need an endorsement frim at least one of these guys.
Personally I'd never mix on these or Auratones. But Bruce and Quincy might feel differently. Truth is, if you want a speaker with a narrow range, then the Behritones are it. For less than a hundy, they do what I need them to.
L.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
Personally I'd never mix on these or Auratones. But Bruce and Quincy might feel differently. Truth is, if you want a speaker with a narrow range, then the Behritones are it. For less than a hundy, they do what I need them to.
L.
But they're two hundy now..
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
But they're two hundy now..
Pretty sure they were 100 or 130 bucks each before. I got a black one a few years back. So I don’t think they’ve gone up in price if they’re 200 a pair. Hopefully they’ll still sell singles.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Pretty sure they were 100 or 130 bucks each before. I got a black one a few years back. So I don’t think they’ve gone up in price if they’re 200 a pair. Hopefully they’ll still sell singles.
In the only current listing that I can find, which is on eBay, it's $199 for a single speaker.
All the other listings are gone, so it's difficult to compare. There is an old Reverb listing for $139, but it was all sold out (or closed.. Reverb doesn t seem to provide mush "past" sales data).
Anyhow, I believe the other listings I saw were for $199 for a single speaker IIRC.
Old 1st May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reverb doesn t seem to provide mush "past" sales data
I know, I find that very frustrating. I guess they have their reasons, likely to be SUPER friendly for sellers to encourage growth.

They have some data on it buts hard to find and is more aggregated like "trending at..." vs. power user search style on ebay. I research on ebay and then set notifications on both.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

I found my invoice and can confirm that a C50a (single) cost $119.99 in 2011 from Sweetwater. Inflation would put that up a bit 7 years later.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I found my invoice and can confirm that a C50a (single) cost $119.99 in 2011 from Sweetwater. Inflation would put that up a bit 7 years later.
The C50A was just about that not a year ago.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear
I can understand buying these if you have 1000 dollar monitors, but most of us low-end theorists already have crappy monitors.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I can understand buying these if you have 1000 dollar monitors, but most of us low-end theorists already have crappy monitors.
It’s not the crappiness that’s helpful, it’s the single driver, no crossover. I won’t go into that, because it’s well documented here!

Well if it is gonna cost 80 bucks extra per monitor than the Behritone, I hope that’s for some internal upgrades and not just the name!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search