The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UAD Arrows have same preamp & converters as Apollo Twin Duo?
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Head

UAD Arrows have same preamp & converters as Apollo Twin Duo?

Hello

Does the UAD Arrow contain the same converters & preamp as the apollo twin duo? I'm thinking about purchasing one. I'd be using them for recording vocals so I'd imagine it would be a step up from this focusrite scarlett i have.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Head

So many views, but no answers =/
Old 2nd June 2018
Gear Head

Going off blacklionaudio.com which rates interfaces on their conversion, the arrow is rated lower than the apollo twin, also the UA website describes the arrows conversion differently than the apollo twin, I think its safe to say the converters are not as good.
Old 3rd June 2018
Manufacturer

Looking at the specs in the manuals you can see small differences. But they are in the same class/family. In the case of Arrow, even if they were identical, they likely wouldn't spec the same due to the Arrow being buss powered.

I've done countless recordings with Arrow and it combined with our Unison technology can yield excellent results! So, I wouldn't get hung up on specs.

Hope this helps.
Old 27th July 2018
Lives for gear

I really wish the Arrow was compatible with older Macbook Pro models.
Anything before the 2016 'touchbar' models won't work with it.

It's crazy that Apogee, for years now, had the bus-powered thing figured out, from FW, to FW800 with the original silver Duet, to USB with the Duet 2, etc.
No power adapter to carry around, just plug and play, even when using phantom power.

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and was over the moon when UA announced the Arrow, it seemed like the perfect bit of kit as I travel quite a bit, but only to feel deflated when finding it's TB3/USB-C connectivity or bust. Yes, the Apollo Twin mkII is also a beautiful interface, but heck, you need AC power wherever you go.

This begs the question;
Can we expect a new USB powered UA interface someday, something that will work on (not that much) older Macbook Pros, or is that too backwards thinking?
Old 21st August 2018
Manufacturer

Until TB3, there just wasn't enough power available for everything that's needed in an interface.

And even with TB3, Arrow represents as far as we were comfortable going with regard to I/O and DSP.
Old 11th October 2018
Here for the gear

Question: for a macbook air with thunderbolt 2, is the converter cord sufficient to still power the arrow or is there something else that I'm missing?
Old 12th October 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxymoron View Post
Question: for a macbook air with thunderbolt 2, is the converter cord sufficient to still power the arrow or is there something else that I'm missing?
Arrows require a computer to have TB3. Adaptors won't work because TB2 doesn't have enough buss power.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared the arrow and Apollo for monitoring and conversion and noticed a real difference? Can you describe if so?
Old 24th April 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Has anyone compared the arrow and Apollo for monitoring and conversion and noticed a real difference? Can you describe if so?
MKII Twins and Arrows have the same A/D and the D/A are subtle variants.

However, due to Arrow being buss powered, it specs a little differently.

The differences are VERY subtle and both are fully capable of pro level results as evidenced by what our users make with them.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Head

A good question but maybe one that only UAD could answer.
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

so as far as tracking, if I track via an Apollo with unison plugs with an Arrow, there should be know real qualitative difference?
Old 26th April 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
so as far as tracking, if I track via an Apollo with unison plugs with an Arrow, there should be know real qualitative difference?
Correct.
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

Correct if I'm wrong..

I own a 2011 17" Macbook Pro (Thunderbolt 1) which is still a powerhouse for recording but from what I understand no UAD audio interface will work on it?
Old 25th May 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post
Correct if I'm wrong..

I own a 2011 17" Macbook Pro (Thunderbolt 1) which is still a powerhouse for recording but from what I understand no UAD audio interface will work on it?
All our TB products work with ANY Mac that has TB, all the way back to 2011.
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
All our TB products work with ANY Mac that has TB, all the way back to 2011.
Wait now I'm lost. I read that Thunderbolt 1 and 2 don't provide enough juice. And now it's claimed it doesn't matter?
Old 25th May 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Wait now I'm lost. I read that Thunderbolt 1 and 2 don't provide enough juice. And now it's claimed it doesn't matter?
Only Arrow requires TB3 because it's buss powered.

Maybe that's what you're thinking of? BTW, I'm speaking about Mac only. On the PC side, you must have TB3.

The Apple adaptor is bi-directional and allow you to mix and match any Apollo, Apollo X, etc.
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Only Arrow requires TB3 because it's buss powered.

Maybe that's what you're thinking of? BTW, I'm speaking about Mac only. On the PC side, you must have TB3.

The Apple adaptor is bi-directional and allow you to mix and match any Apollo, Apollo X, etc.
Ok got it now.

Which Apple adapter are we talking about that goes from Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 3?
Old 25th May 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Ok got it now.

Which Apple adapter are we talking about that goes from Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 3?
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...bolt-2-adapter

Ignore the reviews, it works perfectly.

TB1 and 2 shared a connector, so this works with them as well.

BTW, here's our kb article on it:
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...Compatibility-
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...bolt-2-adapter

Ignore the reviews, it works perfectly.

TB1 and 2 shared a connector, so this works with them as well.

BTW, here's our kb article on it:
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...Compatibility-
Thanks for all the info and fast replies.
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

How I wish Arrow worked with Thunderbolt 2 on a 2015 MBP.
Seems even with an adapter, we're out of luck.
Old 25th May 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Thanks for all the info and fast replies.
My pleasure, glad to help.
Old 25th May 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
How I wish Arrow worked with Thunderbolt 2 on a 2015 MBP.
Seems even with an adapter, we're out of luck.
Correct, TB1/2 doesn't have the power that TB3 does and that's required for buss powering.
Old 1 week ago
EOB
Here for the gear

Can Apollo Twin MkII and Arrow work together on an iMac 2019 in order to be able to have four mic pres?
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Answered on FB.
Old 1 week ago
TJ5
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOB View Post
Can Apollo Twin MkII and Arrow work together on an iMac 2019 in order to be able to have four mic pres?
I don't think so. I think you can only have one of those interfaces work with Console. In order to get more channels, you would need to have an interface with an ADAT out to plug into the Optical In of the Apollo Twin. Doesn't look like the Arrow has any ADAT capability. I'm going off my experience using an old Digi002 for extra channels via ADAT in the Apollo Twin. The extra channels will show up in Console.

I'm sure Drew can confirm this when he reads this.
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

I answered on FB but can here as well.

Only one Twin or Arrow is supported per system. Technically they'll both likely work ok together for now, but that will likely be changed in a future update.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search