The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Isk pro audio BM-900 LDC
Old 18th April 2018
Isk pro audio BM-900 LDC

Hey guys!
I have recently become obsessed with capsule mods and the RK47 specifically. So! This coming payday, I am purchasing a pair of Bm-900’s from isk pro audio’s website and then I’m gonna swap out the caps with RK47’s from the beloved mic-parts website.

The ISK internals are supposed to be of good quality to begin with, so the capsule switch should sit nicely and provide a professionally warm sound when used as OH’s on my drums!

Anyone have any experience with either the ISK BM900 or the rk47 capsule with budget mic swaps?

Thanks!!

Ps - I’m putting the LA220’s on hold for this project. This whole capsule/soldering project is just too exciting to pass up

Last edited by GreySlothStudio; 18th April 2018 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Adding a PS.
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySlothStudio View Post

The ISK internals are supposed to be of good quality to begin with, so the capsule switch should sit nicely and provide a professionally warm sound when used as OH’s on my drums!
This sounds pretty interesting.

I'd be skeptical of a $60 mic having "good quality internals." But I've heard of crazier things. What we need is for someone to buy one of these things, bust it open, take a few pics and post for the group. My knowledge of electronics is limited but I do know at least two things:

1) I'm good with google. And if the image is good enough quality, I can zoom in on the capacitors and use google to find out if it's ceramic or not.

2) If I see a bunch of big, honking red things all over the circuit board, that means it probably has wima caps. Which means it's at least of decent quality.

I nominate you for the task of buying the mic and busting it open. If it turns out to have good innards, then think of the contribution we've made to science! We could have the new MCA SP-1 on our hands! (for those of you who have never used google, the SP1 is a legendary and now discontinued cheapo mic that was popularly used as the defacto guinnea pig mic for modifying 10 years ago).
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Addict

Okay, after fishing around on the web, I was able to find an image of the insides of the BM-800, which is the predecessor.

http://i.otzovik.com/2015/08/30/2376...g/59532198.jpg

Again, I'm not an expert on electronics, but I'm not seeing what look like ceramic caps. Which is promising so far. Then again, for all we know, the way these Chinese mic producers operate, at any time they could just up and decide to cheap out on their components.

But so far, so good.
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Unit Sound View Post
Okay, after fishing around on the web, I was able to find an image of the insides of the BM-800, which is the predecessor.

http://i.otzovik.com/2015/08/30/2376...g/59532198.jpg

Again, I'm not an expert on electronics, but I'm not seeing what look like ceramic caps. Which is promising so far. Then again, for all we know, the way these Chinese mic producers operate, at any time they could just up and decide to cheap out on their components.

But so far, so good.
Not ceramic. Polypropylene. Those are WIMA capacitors.
Old 21st April 2018
Wow!! I am psyched!
I have been reading great things about WIMA caps and how promising they are in terms of predicting quality.

Ya’ll think with these sick RK-47 capsules, it’ll have a nice smooth sound?
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

I think we've found our new holy grail "donor mic" for modifications.

Jim Williams and Scott Dorsey eat your hearts out.

Your silly MCA SP-1s and Marshall MXL-991's are old relics of ancient microphone history. They didn't have WIMAS!!

WIMAS, BIYOTCHEZ!!!

Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySlothStudio View Post
Wow!! I am psyched!
I have been reading great things about WIMA caps and how promising they are in terms of predicting quality.

Ya’ll think with these sick RK-47 capsules, it’ll have a nice smooth sound?

Only one way to find out!

I'm optimistic. People swap capsules out of worse mics than that and have had stellar results.

Post clips!
Old 30th June 2018
Gear Maniac

interested on how this turned out!
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Nut
Here's my little contribution to science. Great little microphones.
Attached Thumbnails
Isk pro audio BM-900 LDC-d60_1990.jpg  
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Nut

@ Kris.15Khz what's the self noise specs on the BM-900?

@ GreySlothStudio the RK-47 is still kind of bright, just not as bright as the typical 32mm Chinese K67. It's probably not that far off of the ISK K67 capsule if it's their typical K67 like in the AKG Perception mics. Both are just a few dbs less bright that the typical 32mm K67. The 3U K47 capsule are smoother, have a bigger bottom end, and take eq really well.
Old 15th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris.15Khz View Post
Here's my little contribution to science. Great little microphones.
Make sure its not electret capsule. The picture looks like an electret circuit and the K47 will not work.
Old 16th May 2019
Many moons later, here I am to reply!

So I basically went through my iPhones notes where I list out any mic ideas that come to mind and scratched off the “fruitless endeavors.” I have decided to see about 1) 3U CM-1 + ‘47 capsule of smilar brand and 2) Revive to mod my ART TubeOpto. Number 2 is happening first.

But on to iSK... I decided to purchase a set of Kris’ newest BM-900 incarnation once it is released (in a few months per our recent communications).
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict
I wouldn't bother replacing the capsule in the CM1. Just get the black one, it should be neutral enough already. Or just buy one of the single pattern Warblers with a K47 capsule in it. Depending on where you source the capsule from it'll already be an extra $50-$100ish.
Old 19th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
I wouldn't bother replacing the capsule in the CM1. Just get the black one, it should be neutral enough already. Or just buy one of the single pattern Warblers with a K47 capsule in it. Depending on where you source the capsule from it'll already be an extra $50-$100ish.

Good suggestion - leaves room for error and reduces the whole “fruitless endeavor” hole that mods and DIY ventures are designed to be opposite of.

At least in the mod department; instead of selling off the old mic for next to nothing, spend $50-150 and come out with a pair of mics greater than the sum of its parts.

My thing with the CM1’s is I am predicting their fate will be the same as kel’s. Legendary low-cost for stellar performance, with production cut short for a variety of reasons. I missed the boat with Kel due to my age (I’m 24, and didn’t come to that mic slutz level until I was around 21) and slept on Karma, Equation Audio, etc. In that, I want to own a pair of the Teal and Black before they, too, are gone.

The mic’s on my “to-buy and to-do” list are all secure in their production except 3U’s CM1 line, and possibly some of AA’s mics as I know the ‘54 is out of production but the ‘84 is still good to go, and that is a boat I don’t wanna miss either.

On the AA note, I think their 47fet, the ADK Odin and the BeesNeez Isobel are all the epitome of “if China cut no corners and spared little upfront cost on a ‘67 clone based mic,” in terms of price, capsule, and performance. Or to put it better, “the way you wished the MXL V67G and CAD GXL2200 sounded.” Two different pricing categories, I know, but I am positive anyone who reads those two quotes will understand what I mean.

To barely paraphrase the great Joly, “too many mics...too little time.”

And lastly, to quote somebody I forget, “the poor man pays twice.” AKA, I wish I had wisened up to a beginner Slutz level sooner and spent $300 on one mic, rather than $300 on three consecutive purchases of the same mic that I liked a lot but never felt the need to keep when moving the studio around.

Last edited by GreySlothStudio; 19th May 2019 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Adding some flesh and blood to the bones of old post.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search