The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need more I/o for outboard gear Audio Interfaces
Old 14th April 2018
Here for the gear

Need more I/o for outboard gear

Right now I’m using a Apollo twin with adat to a clarett octopre. I have a good amount of ins but I really need some outputs for outboard gear. Is it worth getting a cheap I/o if so which one? Been looking at the MOTU 24 I/o

Been tracking with outboard gear but really wanna mix with inserts which is why I need the outputs.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Damn. Anyone? Hahah looking at the Digi 192s now
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

How many inputs and outputs do you actually need, and what is your budget?

Something like a MOTU 16A might be a good place to start looking.
Old 15th April 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you! Looking for at least 8 but I’m getting more analog toys so i probably want at least 16 so I don’t have to upgrade so soon. That’s why I was looking at the 192s
Old 15th April 2018
Ferrofish. Killer bang for your buck.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Keep an eye on the version before buying. There's an audible difference between a 2408 mk2 and 2408 mk3, and published specs support this, with dynamic ranges of 103 and 110, respectively.

Avoid the PCI-324 cards, and do some research on the early 424s, there may have been one identifiable lot w issues.

My impression is that the 2408s sold like hotcakes, and are easy to find now. HD-192s, not near as many around, but well worth a look, at 120 dB, A weighted, and the AES option on channels 11 and 12 is a big plus too.

The 24 i/o's seem scarce as hen's teeth. I've seen a few mk2's with the horse's head logo come up on Ebay, not sure if I've seen any mk3's at all.

I use a pair of 2408/2's in the live room, for quick-n-dirty, right-now, scratch tracks, and they accomplish that purpose. I'd add another if it jumped in my lap.

Three mk3's and a 192 in the CR, that's enough of each for my purposes, but another 192 would be nice. In fact, my ideal CR rig would be 3 2408s, a 24 i/o, and two 192s, but of course, 4 devices per PCI card is the limit.

And that may be a good thing. Sonar X2P is a bit flaky when it comes to remembering routing and latency comp for external inserts. I spend a bit more time than I'd really prefer scrolling down 84 port input and output menus to set them up.

Cuemix...well, at 8 ins per page, I don't even bother anymore. I have my templates and just work from those.

It kinda hacks me off that MOTU set up, and dined out on such an expansive system, then hobbled us with an 8 channel per page DSP mixer that's dwarfed even by 14" monitors, but I'm over swordfights with windmills.

Mostly. In part, I got there by judicious workarounds. Like the 4 i/o I gave up, to get around the lack of a fader on loopback audio. Listen to me. Sounds like the end of the world, huh?

It's not. Motu sits at the core of a 300+ analog i/o, 4 room rig, with 12 PCs plus fiber and MIDI backbones at 240 and 896 channels respectively. The seven year build was what it was but I'm lovin the results now.

:-)

Last edited by JayTee4303; 15th April 2018 at 11:56 AM..
Old 15th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Keep an eye on the version before buying. There's an audible difference between a 2408 mk2 and 2408 mk3, and published specs support this, with dynamic ranges of 103 and 110, respectively.

Avoid the PCI-324 cards, and do some research on the early 424s, there may have been one identifiable lot w issues.

My impression is that the 2408s sold like hotcakes, and are easy to find now. HD-192s, not near as many around, but well worth a look, at 120 dB, A weighted, with the AES option on channels 11 and 12.

The 24 i/o's seem scarce as hen's teeth. I've seen a few mk2's with the horse's head logo come up on Ebay, not sure if I've seen any mk3's at all.

I use a pair of 2408/2's in the live room, for quick-n-dirty, right-now, scratch tracks, and they accomplish that purpose. I'd add another if it jumped in my lap.

Three mk3's and a 192 in the CR, that's enough of each for my purposes, but another 192 would be nice. In fact, my ideal CR rig would be 3 2408s, a 24 i/o, and two 192s, but of course, 4 devices per PCI card is the limit.

And that may be a good thing. Sonar X2P is a bit flaky when it comes to remembering routing and latency comp for external inserts. I spend a bit more time than I'd really prefer scrolling down 84 port input and output menus to set them up.

Cuemix...well, at 8 ins per page, I don't even bother anymore. I have my templates and just work from those.

It kinda hacks me off that MOTU set up, and dined out on such an expansive system, then hobbled us with an 8 channel per page DSP mixer that's, dwarfed even by 14" monitors, but I'm over swordfights with windmills.

Mostly.

;-)
Your signature just made my day
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Your signature just made my day
It's in storage, but it booted fine last time I tried. I want to see what happens when I feed it the Kansas: Song for America Midi file. If it will drive my synths the way an I7 does, it ought to make a helluva vid.

:')
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
It's in storage, but it booted fine last time I tried. I want to see what happens when I feed it the Kansas: Song for America Midi file. If it will drive my synths the way an I7 does, it ought to make a helluva vid.

:')
Haha, please do and share that.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I use a Ferrofish here and have found it to be great bang for buck!

Currently using the 16a but have also used the 32a in a live situation. Very simple to use
Old 16th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis White View Post
I use a Ferrofish here and have found it to be great bang for buck!

Currently using the 16a but have also used the 32a in a live situation. Very simple to use
That's what I said. Can't go wrong with those.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Nut

I'm using an 8a for output. Works like a champ. Only 8 outputs though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search