The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Finding the best budget headphones 2018 Studio Headphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Finding the best budget headphones 2018

I want to buy a better pair of headphones so I can mix on the go and have a reference. As a student buying a decent pair of headphones is a pricey investment and I want to make sure I've invested in the perfect pair. Currently, I'm mixing in a medium sized room on my ADAM A3x's. My first instinct is to find something that would sound similar but just in headphone format so I can keep my mix's relatively consistent but I also think I'd be missing a trick if I didn't choose something with a drastically different flavor for comparison. I would like to find something around the $300 mark but will that be enough to really get bang for buck? I don't mind stretching this a little bit if I really know the investment is worth it. Please help me find my perfect headphones and if you have more advice on what I should include to my criteria that would be greatly helpful too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Yamaha HPH-MT5 are great on the cheap. I've mixed tracks with them and wasn't disappointed when I switched to speakers when I was done.Unlike the Audio Technica's which seem to lie to me. i think the Yamaha headphones are REALLY GOOD for the money and you'll only spend less than half of your budget. Unless you go for the other models in the line up. I'm assuming they're on par or even better than the MT5's considering they're more $$$ Any way I'm happy with them maybe you'll love them too.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The MT5's look like a good option and I will be saving lots of money but everyone seems to be raving about the Sennheiser HD600 which would stretch my budget quite a bit. Also, I've seen lots Beyerdynamic DT770s on people but they seem more like a listening headphone than studio cans. Status audio is also a brand name I've come across, they seem to do bang for buck as they are a smaller brand trying to compete.

Thank you for your help!
Old 1 week ago
akg k240
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullyriddim View Post
I want to buy a better pair of headphones so I can mix on the go and have a reference. As a student buying a decent pair of headphones is a pricey investment and I want to make sure I've invested in the perfect pair.
No such thing as the perfect pair and it's all very subjective; just be aware you won't find anything anywhere near a definitive answer here or elsewhere. Third, you're a student and talking about spending $300+ on headphones? Are you a rich student? That's a hideous overspend. You shouldn't need to spend more than half that and can get very nice headphones for less than half, in fact.

If at all possible, the best way to choose is find a store that has some set up and listen. The two main factors are sound and comfort; the second might not matter so much if you don't plan to spend hour after hour with them in intensive sessions. Anyway, I did some shopping and reading and 3 that kept coming up in the modest $100ish category give or take were the AT 30/40/50 series, Sennheiser HD280s, and Sony MDR7506s.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thank you for the Great advice! It's hard to know how much more quality I would be getting when spending the extra dough.
No, I'm not rich, sadly. I do see it as an investment though so was willing to save. I am glad you cleared that up however, it was one of my main worries!

I've come across the AT's and the Sony MDR's but neither took my fancy. I thought the AT's weren't flat enough and the Sonys were better but I think I can find a better pair still.

I'll search for a nearby shop but I doubt I'll find one close enough.

The search continues...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah there's a GC near me and they have headphones out...but not connected to anything. So you can get a little idea of comfort, but that's it. g/l!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have been using the good old AKG K240's for over 10 years now. I hope they last forever!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by detritusdave View Post
Take a look at the Focal Spirit Pro... excellent reference headphones.. Monitoring headphones Spirit Professional - Focal | Focal | Listen Beyond
I have these and have found them very uncomfortable. There is also a lot of reports of the headband breaking. Shame because they sound very good. Focal have released a new studio headphones recently which addresses the bad design issues of these. I haven’t heard the new ones.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

My search started with focal, I know they make great products but I've heard their products are overpriced and often the sound quality gets compared to cheaper products. Their high-end headphones got compared to Sennheiser HD600's and they're double the price. So it makes me wonder why their budget model is an extra 200+ in comparison to other brands.

I think I'll steer clear this time.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I've found my Shure srh840 to be a reliable benchmark for all kinds of jobs, including recorded work, which is not something I do a lot of. They compare very well to my Senn hd650 even though the Shures are closed-backed, making them a very different beast.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Beyerdynamic DT 880
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I have been using the good old AKG K240's for over 10 years now. I hope they last forever!!
I agree!!. I am using them for monitoring for more than 25 years, first the 600 Ohm version-I still use them-and later the 50 Ohm because this was what NAGRA V needed.
I use also AUDEZE SINE.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Another AKG vote but for the K702s this time.

You'll have trouble finding anything as well regarded for even close to the money.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Keep in mind 240s are semi-open and 702s open, in case one is looking for closed HPs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bet you could mix with Apple Earpods as long as you check them at home on proper monitors. There are some wildly talented people doing stuff on crap because no one told them they weren't supposed to do it that way.
Old 1 week ago
I've been referencing on Audio Technica ATH-M30s for about 8 years now, same pair. I'm gonna upgrade to something more pro but I'd recommend the ATH-Mx0 range, there's better ones than the 30s for not much more.
Old 3 days ago
I've had a pair of Bose Tri Port OE phones for almost ten years. Originally they were in the $150 range but now they are very reasonable - Here's a link of examples. They aren't "noise cancelling" or wireless bluetooth earbud crap. Sound great and easily in your budget. They were very comfortable for long periods of time. This thread reminded me that I need new pads which are still readily available and affordable. So I ordered some....Used Bose phones would be worth a shot if the seller has a good feedback rating.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search