The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lauten Audio LA-220 vs the new Warm Audio WA47 Jr! Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Lauten Audio LA-220 vs the new Warm Audio WA47 Jr!

Okay, so in terms of drum overheads, the LA220 is PERFECT. The freqency response reported by Lauten Audio is flat and warm; backed up by the videos of drum recs they posted on youtube, as well.

However, this WA47 Jr is... Well, it seems to be equal to or greater than in the quality department, but with the added bonus of multiple pick up patterns. On top of that, it’s reported frequency response to be great for vocals and drums. But, it’s less flat and brighter than the Lauten Audio, not to mention it’s $50 more. $50 won’t make or break a microphone purchase but let’s keep all things in perspective, right?

So I’m wondering if anyone has had experience with the Warm audio mic, rhe WA47 Jr, and specifically, if it works well with drums for overheads and/or rooms!

The la220 is a very attractive mic for $250, but it seems I could acheieve the same relative sound and quality from a CAD M179 or another cheaper but infamously flat-on-drums mic like the MXl V67 which is even cheaper. However, Warm Audio’s reputation for extreme quality beckons me to think it’d be the overall better purchase as an all-arounder AND would provide me with a great overhead mic set up, getting two of them.

So...yeah! I signed up specifically to ask this! I’ve been a long time lurker and this situation of Lauten vs Warm Audio pushed me to sign up and start my own thread as googling/searching just has5 done it for me on this one, guys.

Much Love!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have no experience with either mic, so I can't offer any specific help here. I do have a Lauten FC-387 Atlantis, though, and it is absolutely at home next to more expensive mics, so I would think the quality level of the LA-220 would be on par, or even better, than similarly priced mics.

In other words, don't rule out Lauten over quality concerns. My experience with their mics has been very positive and their customer service is top notch.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hey - thanks for easing my concerns on Lauten Audio. It’s good to know their service is great, too. CAD Audio offerered an American made model, the M39, which are discontinued. However, Zen Pro Audio has them in stock still (like 6 or so leftover) and was thinking about getting the LA220 and the M39 to compare since the M39 is multipattern (like their now-China made M179). It’d be nice to have the LA220’s and an M39 for general use, I think - cheaper than getting two WA47 junior’s.

Thanks again!
Old 1 week ago
I've had and used both recently. The LA-220 blows away that Warm 47jr. There is no contest in my humble opinion. The Lauten sounds very, very good compared to mics at any price. I thought the 47jr sounded nothing at all like a 47Fet which it is supposed to be emulating. I thought it sounded dull and lifeless. I returned the 47jr and kept the LA-220. The LA-220 sounds almost identical to the tube version, the LA-320 so I'm selling the 320.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A quick thumbs up for Lauten service. I had one interaction with Brian and it could not have gone better. I have the Atlantis and used to own the Clarion. I've come to love my Atlantis. I just listened to the 220 and 320 at Namm so can't really speak to their actual usage. I did think they sounded awfully good just testing them at Namm.
L.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the incredibly helpful replies, everybody!!

And yeah; the 220 really is a piece of art.
The dark response and overall open tone of the mic on all of the videos I have listened to (thank God Lauten actually cares about good marketing and uploaded multiple drum recordings!!) surpassed every other microphone I’ve heard in the warm/dark response category such as the Roswell mini K47, warm audio 47, modded MXL V67, etc
Old 1 day ago
Can you post some of your own samples?

Any instrument would do, I'd love to hear more samples that were not recorded by Lauten Audio for their own marketing.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

When I collect a few more pay checks, I’ll be able to post a drum recording after I pick up a pair. I’m waiting till I can afford to purchase two at once. Until then I’ll have two iSK BM-900’s from iskproaudio.com, modded using mic parts RK-47 capsules. Should have similar responses in terms of darkness and warmth.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search