The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with mic choice Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

Help with mic choice

Please help me with Microphone for home studio to record my Daughter (she is a Mezzo-Soprano range singer) She does Jazzy sounding pop.

I have a new scarlett 18i8 gen 2 and a Studio Projects VTB1 preamp. I have an AT 2020 condensor and a few EV and shure dynamic mics. My dad has a Blue encore 300 SDC that I can borrow.

There is a local Shure SM27 used mic for a decent deal.

My budget is really tight, so I need a bang-for-the buck powerhouse vocal mic.

There are so many mics out there......what do you suggest?????

Thank you.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:
I have a new Scarlett 18i8 gen 2 and a Studio Projects VTB1 preamp. I have an AT 2020 condensor and a few EV and shure dynamic mics. My dad has a Blue enCORE 300 SDC that I can borrow.
First try her with all the mics you have and in different spots in the room.

Try and find a good spot that makes her vocal sound its best. It may take some time, but its worth it. Im not a fan of the AT 2020, but you have enough to capture great sounding vocals. So do not go out and buy more mics run of the mill mics and that is what you would buy since your budget is tight. Save your $$$$. You have what it takes to do the job

Here are some vocal recording tips i wrote to help you out:
http://www.audio-mastering-mixing.com/faq---q-a.html#24
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
First try her with all the mics you have and in different spots in the room.

Try and find a good spot that makes her vocal sound its best. It may take some time, but its worth it. Im not a fan of the AT 2020, but you have enough to capture great sounding vocals. So do not go out and buy more mics run of the mill mics and that is what you would buy since your budget is tight. Save your $$$$. You have what it takes to do the job

Here are some vocal recording tips i wrote to help you out:
Mastering Tips | Audio Mastering Facts | Mastering FAQ's | Mixing Tips
Thank you very much.

I think I am certainly going to borrow my dad's Blue Encore 300 to try as well......read that some folks really like it to record female vocals.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac
I'm sure the SM27 will be fine. You can always consider other options too like 3U Audio and iSK mics as well. Of course the latter two probably won't have great resale value. Knowing your budget would help too.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

+1 what CJ said. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if at least one of the Shure/EV dynamic microphones, beats out the AT2020. Haven't tried the Blue Encore series.

BTW the VTB-1 is a very nice mic pre. On Jazzy sounding Pop, probably keep it in solid state mode.

Chris
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear
Take a look at Advanced Audio and Warbler and AT. Get something used off ebay once you know what you want.

The important thing that makes a good vocal mic is LDC tube, or the specific mic design. The quality of the cap is most of it. It takes over $500 to get that.

Under 500, I suggest high quality dynamic or live mic.

And since you are working on a tight buget, a really good live vocal mic may also be more use than just recording: 105, KSM9, KSM8

Out of the blue, try a Shure 87A. Great sounding mic that is also very directional. useful in a bad room.

If that's too much, heil PR35?

The flattery is what you pay for. Flattery that matches the voice is the problem.

You can listen to many mic's at recording hacks
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

What's your budget?

Open room with other noises? Get a dynamic (don't think a condensor is higher quality so much cheaper crap out there these days with overjoyed harsh top ends). I love the SM7b - but there are others, however if that's in the price range worth considering.

Other options are to get a reflection filter (check out sE reflection filters) and a condensor. Condensor are in the thousands of options. I never found one that suites my voice unless I went up to Neumann quality - but then it will cost.

Remember no point getting high quality condensor unless the room is ideal, as you loose the benefits. Hense why I got an SM7b (and my voice sounds better with one).
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
The important thing that makes a good vocal mic is LDC tube, or the specific mic design. The quality of the cap is most of it. It takes over $500 to get that.
Hardly. Plenty of very good LDCs right out of the box under $500, easily.
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the help.

My budget is pretty much blown right now.....so close to zero...LOL, well, not LOL.

I just bought studio monitors, upgraded to scarlette 18i8 interface, bought a SP VTB1 preamp, yada yada.

Locally there is a mint used Shure SM27 for not too bad of a price.....less than half of new.

I might grab that to try, I am sure that I could resell it for pretty close to what I pay.
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

OK: out of these

Which would you choose for a Great Female Voice:

1) Shure SM27

2) ADK Hamburg/Vienna/A6

3) AT 2020

4) Blue Encore 300

Thanks
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mike View Post
OK: out of these

Which would you choose for a Great Female Voice:

1) Shure SM27

2) ADK Hamburg/Vienna/A6

3) AT 2020

4) Blue Encore 300

Thanks
I'd say the SM27 (though they are a bit scooped sounding, so slightly high low end, but relatively flat up until the upper mids and treble), but I don't know much about ADK's mics. The AT2020 is kind of harsh imo (not as bad as some really really cheap ≤$50 mics, but not smooth to my ears), and I don't like Blue's cheaper stuff. I find the AT 2035 a little smoother than the 2020 so that could be a good option.

I'm also gonna suggest taking a look at 3U Audio's mics. The CM1s are great for $115 and they seem to be around the same quality as things several times the price. Chose a Black CM1 over a used AT4040 and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
I'd say the SM27 (though they are a bit scooped sounding, so slightly high low end, but relatively flat up until the upper mids and treble), but I don't know much about ADK's mics. The AT2020 is kind of harsh imo (not as bad as some really really cheap ≤$50 mics, but not smooth to my ears), and I don't like Blue's cheaper stuff. I find the AT 2035 a little smoother than the 2020 so that could be a good option.

I'm also gonna suggest taking a look at 3U Audio's mics. The CM1s are great for $115 and they seem to be around the same quality as things several times the price. Chose a Black CM1 over a used AT4040 and couldn't be happier with it.
Thanks....will check them out.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

What Shure and EV microphones, do you already own?

Lots of hits on a Shure 57/58!

Like you said, if you can get an excellent condtion SM27, you can probably get
your money back later (if you don't like it) also.

Chris
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
What Shure and EV microphones, do you already own?

Lots of hits on a Shure 57/58!

Like you said, if you can get an excellent condtion SM27, you can probably get
your money back later (if you don't like it) also.

Chris
I bought the SM27 last evening. It is MINT. I did a quick comparison to the AT2020 and the SM27 does sound marginally better.......which I am finding out is about what you can expect with this madness of microphones.

We have a Shure SM58. We have EV PL44, Co9 and Co7.

The EV Co7 sounds INCREDIBLE with my daughters voice (she did a gig at an old cathederal using a Co7).

Both the EV Co7 and 9 completely blow the Sm58 away in our experience......which is hilarious as the Co7 is on sale for $29.95 right now....LOL!!!!!
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mike View Post
I bought the SM27 last evening. It is MINT. I did a quick comparison to the AT2020 and the SM27 does sound marginally better.......which I am finding out is about what you can expect with this madness of microphones.

We have a Shure SM58. We have EV PL44, Co9 and Co7.

The EV Co7 sounds INCREDIBLE with my daughters voice (she did a gig at an old cathederal using a Co7).

Both the EV Co7 and 9 completely blow the Sm58 away in our experience......which is hilarious as the Co7 is on sale for $29.95 right now....LOL!!!!!
Just marginally? Maybe if you get used to hearing the SM27 you'll find it be a lot better. The SM27 will probably work well on more sources than the AT2020 which could always be a plus.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Just marginally? Maybe if you get used to hearing the SM27 you'll find it be a lot better. The SM27 will probably work well on more sources than the AT2020 which could always be a plus.

It is a keeprr, for sure.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

I haven't tried the Co7, but the Co9 is a nice microphone. Recently I gave one, to a close friend as a gift. The SM58 works better on my voice-but it's a baritone/2nd tenor-So very different tone.

I'm happy you found an excellent vocal mic for her!

Chris
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search