The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building my home setup (after 12 years of CRAP gear)
Old 1st May 2019
For me, I found a 15" laptop best for such things (but my eyes are getting old) and i like the 27" iMacs.

No doubt I'll get bigger monitors at some point, but these are the minimums that works well for me.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
I'm at $1770 already on that same computer if you actually want things like a keyboard, Mouse, 2nd drive (optical, but you need about 1TB total in drives these days if you want to run virtual instruments and have backups for your lossless audio), network card, Thunderbolt port, etc.
For $1267 it comes with a keyboard, mouse, and 1TB of SSD. Unless you need two Ethernet ports, it has one of those too.

You won't get fans any quieter than what it comes with. If it's too loud you can put it in another room.

It's not designed specifically for audio, but unlike a system put together from parts, Dell works with software vendors (including some audio) to certify their systems. In general they are stable and run smooth.

True you need a monitor if you don't already have one (or three).

Maybe a six year old mac for $1000 is a better deal, but for $267 more you have a machine with three years of on-site warranty, and it's going to be a lot faster too (3Ghz i5 vs 4Ghz i7). You could buy a 2012 Dell T1600 with the same processor as the iMac for under $200 if you're on a budget.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...5nG4mSnWzKA%3d
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandwhite View Post

@ piper : if your PC is too noisy it can be a sign of a heat problem, or you need to get rid of all the dust in your PC. Or get a larger cooler. The super expensive computers are usually the gaming PC's, they're expensive because the graphic card alone can cost like 600-800usd.
I don't think my PC is too loud, but it does make some sound. In some situations it's possible that /any/ sound would be too much sound. Fortunately, it's easy to move a PC into another room. All you need is a an HDMI cable and a USB cable.

DB9091 had made a comment that suggested to me that maybe he thinks the PC I recommended came with cheap noisy fans. That's not the case; they have good quality fans with thermal management circuits (they only run as fast as they need to). In fact, the case that the PC comes with is pretty heavy duty and that helps to contain noise better than the cheap plastic cases that some computers come with.
Old 23rd September 2019
Gear Head
hey y'all how are you doing? fast forward to the bold at the bottom for a question.

update:

i was super sick in may to july.. ah damn...im better now anyway.

i finally setup my room, it looks basic, but its a start. i got a few more guitars - a gretsch 2420 as hollowbody (i also bought a pm2 which im selling, don't like it), and a nylon yamaha. looking for an acoustic dreadnought currently. i have an also yamaha cheapie that sounds like cardboard.

i finished rough drafts of two songs on my phone that will be my first things to record...

oh! i also finally built my pc with much help from @ Pictus thank you! i7-8700, 16gb ram, and a bunch of HDD + SSD... im planning to do some youtube videos at some point but that is later. the pc was not hard to build, i put windows 10 on it. i finally pulled the trigger on a video card too (rtx 2060 super) because at some point i will be making some youtube videos.

right now i have my PC tower under my desk, probably going to get a caster since its full ATX and damn huge, lol. fractal r5 case in case your curious!

i really was procrastinating guys, my work output is still 0 cuz im too slow! my main goal now is to kick this habit of procrastination and stop overthinking because it limits my ability to get things DONE.

QUESTION! MIC RECOMMENDATION!

if you recall i have a rme babyface pro. i will be recording vocals (not much of a singer but gotta start somewhere lol), and acoustic guitar, electric, and bass (bass i could probably di). i can attach a sample of my voice tone if that helps.

i was speaking to the local store, and they recommended an aston origin. any other recommendations? i was also looking at an akg c414 which is a fair bit more expensive...

so next gear to get:
- acoustic guitar
- mic for vocals/guitars (preferably one for both for now, will get an sm 57 for sure)
- bass guitar
- probably not going to get a preamp as my understanding is the RME is quite good. maybe an RNC which is fairly cheap. but i think this should now be enough to get going!
- oh, a piece of carpet, my room is hardwood floor. i have my bed in here and clothes, but i think there could be issues.
- some foam for behind my speaker monitors

i'll send a picture soon once i have stuff connected up.
Old 23rd September 2019
Lives for gear

I’d go

MacBook Pro, Apollo twin mk2, Adam A7X + KRK sub 10”, room treatment

Probably over budget but bare minimum for me
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Head
fair enough, i ended up building a custom pc which is suited for what i need
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Head
hey everybody!

i re read the whole thread again tonight, so many wonderful suggestions were made.

thanks @ Pictus @ VenVile @ Louie1 @ soulguitar @ Bushman @ piper @ thehightenor @ chit and everyone else I know I missed a few. ive got like 30 google tabs open with all your suggestions.

to reiterate i have completed the following and got it hooked up:
- built my PC and setup (typing on it right now
- got the rme babyface pro
- sampletrak st-224
- jbl lsr 305
- (old) rode m3 condensor
- gretsch hollow, yamaha nylon, yamaha storia (sounds freaking amazing but they market it like a piece of ikea furniture!!!)

right now im coming close and have some more decisions to make.
- lets keep it simple for now and just focus on MICROPHONES!

Q. I shortlisted the following mics from listening to shootouts and audio samples. Should I get mics per application or just one versatile one?

all based from the sweetwater shootouts

vocals

lauten audio l320
akg c414
Aston Origin (spirit was meh, origin ++)
rode NTK (+)
Shure KSM44A (++ seemed very balanced?)
neumann TLM 103
Behringer C-1 (shocker lol)
audio technia AT4050

electric guitar:
SM 57
Beyerdynamic M 160

clean guitar:

Audix i5
SM57
e609
Audio Technica 4047

acoustic guitar:
Miktek C5 (seemed detailed on the top end not too boomy, balanced)

BONUS:
..didn't wanna really share this but it might help in some recommendations...the song is complete now but this is the first draft of it i had recorded
https://www.facebook.com/glockspiel/...705261/?type=3

i meant it to kinda more take a piss at that genre of music but i think it might suit my voice better hahaha...now i have another song im working on which is very bossa nova...anyway onto the mics i've checked out:

Last edited by jaguarguitar; 4th October 2019 at 03:05 AM..
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear
Just some basics on microphones... buy a 57. Not my favorite mic, but a relatively cheap mic that is OK on almost anything, and very good on guitar amps and some vocals.
Do not buy an i5. I bought one, thinking it would be a “better 57”. It isn’t. IMO it is a mic without any magic.
I don’t happen to own any of the LDC mics you list, so I won’t give you any of my wild guesses on that subject.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarguitar View Post
Hi everyone,

Well I'm 30 now, but started my own recordings on XP in 04'-05' lol.

After having hard drives crash, lack of motivation because of flaky gear, dealing with life, I'm ready to take my passion much more seriously. Right now I'm working with a singer and plan on going in a pro studio, BUT, I want to work on my other side music (sometimes electronic type stuff) and need a good setup for that.

Here's a list of stuff I'm looking at getting, and your input would be invaluable.

My budget is around 4-5k for everything, I'm splitting payments. A couple extra hundred bucks here or there for items if you have a better recommendation is welcome.

It's taken me a long time where I am finally at the point to get some gear, and invest in my hobby.

TL;DR, getting the gear in bold underlined. Any other suggestions?

Monitors:
JBL LSR 305s. I also heard Yamaha (HS7?) which sounded nice, but were fairly bright.

The audio guy at the store said I should also look at Focals as well.

Interface

UAD Apollo Twin, 2 input vs Clarrett 2 PRE .

A friend recommended getting an API lunchbox, and building a DIY pre-amp, compressor, etc. I also have contemplated building some 500 series type stuff (would this make the UAD purchase a waste of money considering all the plugins they come with?). Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I know they also make an Arrow now, not sure if they would be sufficient for my needs. I don't plan on tracking more than two inputs at a time, mainly would be guitar or vocals, but if I can track a drum kit in the future with two mics that would be well

Headphones

I went crazy searching about headphones. I'm leaning towards Focals (Spirit Pros I think), or Beyerdynamic 990s.

PC vs. Mac

Custom-built desktop PC vs OEM laptop?

I've been a PC user for years. I've also gone crazy trying to decide if the MAC plunge would be worth it, but I decided to stick to PC. I'm only using this computer for music production.

Haven't come up with the specs, but thinking I7, 32GB RAM (or at least 16GB),
1TB SSD, ITX form factor, possible external drive for backup?

Backup suggestions?

I also almost went for a Dell Laptop, because I thought it'd be nice to have portability. What do you guys think? My personal laptop is a ThinkPad, but I want to keep it separate from my production computer. Also this thing does not have a lot of storage space.

I have a friend who suggests getting a desktop PC for saving money. I think this may be a good route, I can invest in a good laptop in the future. How important is the portability aspect these days?

If I track some things at home and want to bring them in a studio, I feel having a separate laptop may be very important. If so, any recommendations on the PC side (I'm just not a MAC guy!)

DAW & Software

Reason. I like the hardware emulation in Reason.

I've been using FL studio for years, but I feel the final quality always sounds different than when I'm in Reason. I also find the built-in plugins and EQ in FL studio leave a lot to be studio and don't compare at all to Reason's EQs, etc.

Possibly also getting Native Instruments.

Midi Controller

Novation Impulse.

Guitar amp

For something in my room, having a hard time. I'm thinking about a Vox AC4W which I believe has an attenuator for bedroom levels yet tube sound.

Mics

I have a Rode M3 which I've used successfully on guitar amps, acoustic guitars, although I feel its sound is meh (or that could have been my Steinberg ci-1 lol).

For vocals, guitars, any mic suggestions? I'm thinking of building a microphone through microphone-parts.com (the T47 I think its called).

Room Treatment

I'm in a small condo, so this is going to be tough. I might have to post pictures of my room and see what I can do. Might even have to ditch my bed and get a hideaway couch in the living room and keep my room as the studio room, lol.

So for now, room treatment is TBA...

Would love to hear any feedback, recommendations to some of the questions I posted. Sorry for the brevity.

TL;DR, getting the gear in bold underlined. Any other suggestions?
Personally, I'd get an ADAT expandable 8x8 i/o interface, just so it won't be a concern in the future. The fewer interfaces/converters you buy in your lifetime the better.

I'd also put my money into a decent stereo (or 2 linkable) pre's, compressors and EQ's.

Then I might get one good condenser mic, one good dynamic (SM7b or RE20) Then a pair
of "decent" condensers (Shure 81's?) for stereo recording, and a few less expensive dynamics (Couple of 57's a D112)

Instead of handling room treatment yourself, maybe hire a pro to come in....oh, small condo? Dude, you are ASKING for trouble...maybe see if there's a utility room in the basement you can rent? It will be VERY hard to track vocals or record guitar amps in there without pissing off your neighbors...In fact, it's impossible. It will also make your singer really uncomfortable...You need a SPACE...The small condo will not work.

I wouldn't spend hardly ANYTHING on the computer, they are all powerful enough now and have been for years. Like interface/converters computers are a waste of money.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey everybody!

i re read the whole thread again tonight, so many wonderful suggestions were made.

thanks @ Pictus @ VenVile @ Louie1 @ soulguitar @ Bushman @ piper @ thehightenor @ chit and everyone else I know I missed a few. ive got like 30 google tabs open with all your suggestions.

to reiterate i have completed the following and got it hooked up:
- built my PC and setup (typing on it right now
- got the rme babyface pro
- sampletrak st-224
- jbl lsr 305
- (old) rode m3 condensor
- gretsch hollow, yamaha nylon, yamaha storia (sounds freaking amazing but they market it like a piece of ikea furniture!!!)

right now im coming close and have some more decisions to make.
- lets keep it simple for now and just focus on MICROPHONES!

Q. I shortlisted the following mics from listening to shootouts and audio samples. Should I get mics per application or just one versatile one?

all based from the sweetwater shootouts

vocals

lauten audio l320
akg c414
Aston Origin (spirit was meh, origin ++)
rode NTK (+)
Shure KSM44A (++ seemed very balanced?)
neumann TLM 103
Behringer C-1 (shocker lol)
audio technia AT4050

electric guitar:
SM 57
Beyerdynamic M 160

clean guitar:

Audix i5
SM57
e609
Audio Technica 4047

acoustic guitar:
Miktek C5 (seemed detailed on the top end not too boomy, balanced)

BONUS:
..didn't wanna really share this but it might help in some recommendations...the song is complete now but this is the first draft of it i had recorded
https://www.facebook.com/glockspiel/...705261/?type=3

i meant it to kinda more take a piss at that genre of music but i think it might suit my voice better hahaha...now i have another song im working on which is very bossa nova...anyway onto the mics i've checked out:
Hey Jaguarguitar,

you are welcome.

I really like the Oktava mk012 on acoustic guitars. I tracked all my nylon and steel string guitars on my last single with it

For guitar amp I used this one https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_p...ZSI6ImVuIn0%3D

It is surprisingly good for the price. I also have a Sennheiser MD421, but if you are short on money, you can easily go with the Superlux and save the money for the mixing engineer !

I am a professional musician since 20+ years, did many live & studio session works. My last single was in the top 25 in the smooth jazz charts. I don't say this to make myself important but to tell you, that on my last single I used some 300USD Recording King China Martin Guitar copy and it runs daily 5-7 times in US Radios not counted the radio play in online radios worldwide. All guitars where recorded in my 9m2 bedroom studio.

With all the mics you mentioned you can get a radio ready sound. Just don't forget the ROOM TREATEMENT!!! This is king! I bought and sold mics and preamps for years, never being happy until I did DIY bass traps, residue diffusers a.s.o.

A USD3000 brand mic in a bad room or a USD100 china mic in a room with good acoustic. Well, you guess with which one I would prefer. The second one. If you do DIY you are there with 200-300 Dollars to get a good acoustics. Not to dry for tracking acoustic instruments, for vocals it can be more dry.

Me personally would get a color preamp in combination with your babyface. You can get an used Golden Age preamp 73 Neve clone for 200 bucks. I prefer it 10 times over the babyface preamp. They are clean but a tad lifeless to me.
I like that heavy, larger than life sound with enhanced mids, as for guitars this makes them sit so well in the mix. The highs might not be as smooth as on a real neve, who cares at the end, if you invest the money you saved in good mixing and mastering engineers.

I had the AT 4050 as well. Its working on everything but didn't excell on anything for me. After I got the Oktava mk 012 I hardly touched it for tracking guitars. I still have the AT 3035 and used it recently for a radio production where I needed some cleaner nylon lead than with the Oktava and it did the job well.

So long story short:

- Any of these mics will do the job and are no excuse to do a professional production !

- Invest in room treatment,
don't damp the room to much, keep a balance between absorbtion and diffusion, get rid of ugly flutter echoes. Control the bass/low end with basstraps (DIY bass traps with rockwool packed in painter foil and covered with fabric in a wood frame, not to have particles in the air, you don't want to enhale them, Important !!!. The foil will let the low and middle frequencys still be absorbed. Just the high frequencies will still be reflected, which is welcome, as you don't want to loose them all.

- Get a colored preamp like the GAP PRE 73 or something similar. It will save you tons of saturation plugins later as you get a thick, character sound without emulating them.

- An analog compressor like the ART PRO VLA II which I personally use can work wonders for tracking. ITs not about the compression only, also about the character and influence on the performance.

Ratio: 2.5 to 3.5 and Gain Reduction of max 4dB and you are save with never overcompressing, but getting thicker tracks in your DAW. It helps me perform better. Other people have other opinions about this. I am a session player, so I know what makes me feel and perform better. If I have a picking part and then in the chorus I strumm loudly for example and I checked before to have a gain reduction of 4dB in the loud part, I just can play energetic, never have to we worried about soft and loud parts. The ART hast an amazing visual gain control by the way. I didn't have any ugly digital distortions through hitting the converters to strongly anymore in the last years.

I don't work for any of these companies, just speak on personal experience here.

All the best on your journey :-)

Lars
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Whilst your at it demo a Beyer M88 dynamic mic.
There's not much they don't sound great on!

IMHO do NOT buy a TLM 103 for vocals!

If you can find a second hand Blue Kiwi mic they are superb.

Better than a Rode NTK would be a second hand NTV (fantastic Jenson output transformer in that mic) swop out the stock valve for a NOS one and it's a very good mic, mine holds it's own against some very expensive boutique mics.

I'm a fan of the SM57, SM58 and SM7 .... they're industry standards for a reason imho.

I have a very decent collection of mics but my Fender Princeton amp still tends to end up with a 57 on it

.... and +1 to room treatment - should really be your first purchase :-)

Last edited by thehightenor; 4th October 2019 at 06:20 PM..
Old 5th October 2019
Gear Head
"Personally, I'd get an ADAT expandable 8x8 i/o interface, just so it won't be a concern in the future. The fewer interfaces/converters you buy in your lifetime the better.

I'd also put my money into a decent stereo (or 2 linkable) pre's, compressors and EQ's.

Then I might get one good condenser mic, one good dynamic (SM7b or RE20) Then a pair
of "decent" condensers (Shure 81's?) for stereo recording, and a few less expensive dynamics (Couple of 57's a D112)

Instead of handling room treatment yourself, maybe hire a pro to come in....oh, small condo? Dude, you are ASKING for trouble...maybe see if there's a utility room in the basement you can rent? It will be VERY hard to track vocals or record guitar amps in there without pissing off your neighbors...In fact, it's impossible. It will also make your singer really uncomfortable...You need a SPACE...The small condo will not work."

@ treble.dee that being said, my condo is a new building - and its all concrete between adjacent units. i hear literally nothing from my neighbours. as long as i don't CRANK my amp, it would be fine. i will upload a photo of where i live currently to get everybody opinion on it.

the thing is im on the east coast right now, and im planning to move back home to the west coast (BC) within the next 6 months. if i move back to my mom's place i will have the lower level of the house. only problem is her house is below landing/takeoff flight path, lol.

regarding the ADAT - i never knew what that is til you mentioned it, and that is so awesome i can do that with the babyface --- was worried i'd get limited if i ever tried to track drums in the future. thanks for that advice!!!
@ Bushman noted.
@ soulguitar -- loved the track! i listened to it on my monitors, lovely top end, mix is very balanced. relaxing song. regarding your points:
- room treatment: i have watched some videos on this. i will upload a video of my room. i alternatively could make my living room the 'studio' but its too much of an open space and i think that will be bad. i have my bed in this room, but i will need to put some carpet here because there will be too many reflections from the hardwood. since i may move back west in 6 months, not sure how much i want to invest in DIY traps here. if i drove back to BC that could work cuz I could take the DIY with me. I dont have any power tools though. store bought foam might be better for me.

- guitars/gear: youre right about that, it's not about price always. my engineer friend keeps recommending me high end mics, it is so annoying. i think there's lots of wonderful prosumer stuff under $1k.

- mics: regarding the oktava mk12 been trying to find some shootouts with it. i listened to many SDC and i really like the miktek c5, seems very balanced. i know the oktava is highly regarded on GS.
- regarding preamps, this is where my engineer friend also keeps telling me to DIY, i was considering a Hairball Audio LOLA preamp.. i also heard that the babyface RME preamps are 'too clean' -although its a good starting point to add preamps.
- the Hairball Lola is like 299$ USD - the GAP is around the same. I wonder which one is 'better'. Or if it's worth more of my time to DIY stuff...

I will definitely get an SM57 because of their use cases. I guess I'm just stuck on mics for acoustic + electric guitar, and vocals.

soulguitar - how did you track the drums? they are real drums right? from a music perspective, did you record the guitar tracks first, then send it off to a session drummer? i might be in the same situation. thanks.

thanks everyone. one last point, although i'm on a budget...i have money to spend on this. but just not a 3k u87 or something like that. but if a combo of mics preamps compressors set me back 3k thats okay. thats where DIY might help me save money.

i just dont want to do DIY to save money and the quality is garbage.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
Don’t buy foam. I said it a hundred posts ago, but I’ll say it again since you mentioned it recently. The only “good” reasons to buy foam are that you want your room to look like a low budget radio station, or your girlfriend thinks it looks sexy. Short of having a LOT of extremely deep deep foam, the audio effect of most foam treatments is to create a dead top end, a boxy high mid and a low end that isn’t changed a bit. Having created such a space once and having been in a number of them, I am not convinced that the audio recorded or mixed in foam-treated rooms is an improvement over untreated rooms.
Buy your interface and mics first. Don’t buy an outboard preamp until you get a feel for your new interface preamps. Whatever deficiencies you hear will give you a clearer idea of what type of preamp you need to add (if any).
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear
Of the vocal mics you listed, the Aston Origin would be my choice.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Don’t buy foam. I said it a hundred posts ago, but I’ll say it again since you mentioned it recently. The only “good” reasons to buy foam are that you want your room to look like a low budget radio station, or your girlfriend thinks it looks sexy. Short of having a LOT of extremely deep deep foam, the audio effect of most foam treatments is to create a dead top end, a boxy high mid and a low end that isn’t changed a bit. Having created such a space once and having been in a number of them, I am not convinced that the audio recorded or mixed in foam-treated rooms is an improvement over untreated rooms.
Buy your interface and mics first. Don’t buy an outboard preamp until you get a feel for your new interface preamps. Whatever deficiencies you hear will give you a clearer idea of what type of preamp you need to add (if any).
What this guy said!
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Head
Hey guys thanks for the advice, Bushman well noted.

I am going to diy some rockul panels for my room. I made a post in the acoustics sub forum, so i wont repeat it here.

My room is like 12 x 16, not very big, so i will do what i can considering i will be in this place 6 months tops. I watched a lot of acoustics videos yesterday and have an idea of what to do.

I got an sm 57. Im prob going to get an akg c414. I did find a used c214 at the store for 299 CAD.

You know guys, some days i feel maybe i should have just gotten a h4n and record my tracks arrangements, focus on the music, and go to a real even if mid level studio, where someone knows there shi*.

Now ive gone down this rabbit hole...i mean i havent spent a ton, these are items id need anyway. I guess i just am doubting if ill get to the point of actually recording music.

I blew my 20s, past is the past but everyday i dont record and do more research on this stuff just kinda makes me frustrated...i digress...
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Of the mics listed i think beyer 160 would be not a bad choice
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I am going to diy some rockul panels for my room. I made a post in the acoustics sub forum, so i wont repeat it here.

My room is like 12 x 16, not very big, so i will do what i can considering i will be in this place 6 months tops. I watched a lot of acoustics videos yesterday and have an idea of what to do.

I got an sm 57. Im prob going to get an akg c414. I did find a used c214 at the store for 299 CAD.

You know guys, some days i feel maybe i should have just gotten a h4n and record my tracks arrangements, focus on the music, and go to a real even if mid level studio, where someone knows there shi*.

Now ive gone down this rabbit hole...i mean i havent spent a ton, these are items id need anyway. I guess i just am doubting if ill get to the point of actually recording music.

I blew my 20s, past is the past but everyday i dont record and do more research on this stuff just kinda makes me frustrated...i digress...
No need for room treatment. In most cases (all that I've encountered) any room works, no matter the size and dimension. If you need to keep sound from escaping, that'd be a concern. Anyway, just get a small mixer and laptop and stick that 57 up to an amp, acoustic instrument, or voice, and hit record.
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Believe me, I know the feeling, and all the info can be overwhelming at times. Not to mention the sometimes crippling doubt, about whether you'd be good enough. I've been there and am there again, presently. I've been producing since I was 14 yrs old (I turn 32 this Friday), and I'm now on a 3-yr hiatus (for reasons not my own) and am finally building a new space to record and produce. I'm in the process of building the panels, desk and stands (I have a carpenter doing these things to spec, as I'm not handy and don't have the time to learn). But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't overwhelmed at times, and frustrated. I'm hoping to be finished with everything by year end, but depending on how money flows, it might go into January, unfortunately. Initially I was planning to be finished on my birthday, and this would have been my birthday gift to myself, but alas. It's tiring, and sometimes downright demotivating. But I love music too much to stop, and I guess it's that same love that wishes I was just recording, at all. Any old space beats with crappy gear is better than no recording/producing whatsoever.

But I also want to sell my product this time, and I want the best space and best sound I can get. So I'm being patient and working through it. If others can do it (some with way less finances, and knowledge than me) , I can do it! And so can you! Let's do this!
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Head
hey vernier, differing strokes for differing folks, haha. most everywhere i've been reading suggests acoustic treatment so...

hey Venvile happy birthday. thats cool man thanks for the encouragement. im sure your desks will get made well! i would do somethign like that, but since i wont be here long term...

regarding the acoustic treatement - the acoustic treatment sub forum is kind of lot of information. i went through a fair bit but...

how far should i go? im considering getting a measurement mic (behringer ecm8000) and seeing where there could be problems.

i also found rockboard 60 - for reflection panels, those wouldn't take long to make. just not sure about the mounting.

regarding the corners - seems there is some conflicting reads i found - one thing i read said to do superchunks floor to ceiling, another thing said leave an air gap behind - which would almost just be like an absorption panel.

i also read for lower frequencies less dense is better! so im thinking for the super chunks, i should use roxul safe n sound instead of the rockboard 60.

so...
rockboard 60 - wall panels (2")
roxul safe n sound (3") - super chunks?
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
No need for room treatment. In most cases (all that I've encountered) any room works, no matter the size and dimension.
Is this supposed to be humor?
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Is this supposed to be humor?
No.

OP has a bedroom to work with. For some, that's a limitation.

But it's not.

He can setup gear ...and record.

Leave furniture there ...it's your friend in a small room.
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well I'm 30 now, and I have no gear!!!
That's sad. I have excellent top-notch world-class gear without a great room to put it in.

Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

PC suggestion. Grab an old HP Z600 or something like that. You can put two CPUs in it (I have the x5675 I think) and have PLENTY of horsepower for a few hundred dollars. I was able to get something like 150 altiverbs with 10 second impulses. You’d be shocked what you can do with it. Seriously think about what you actually need. This is gearslutz after all, so good luck with that, LOL. For the price you’d pay for a Z600 you could get two and still be paying less than you currently have budgeted.
Old 31st October 2019
Gear Head
Made 6 panels so far. Huge diff! This site has helped me learn so much. Its been a slow process but i am learning a lot.

I am building a table now too, got my first set of power tools! I will post more photos. I just stood the panels on the side to test but i will seat them properly. I hung one above the computer chair, for now ive taken it down till i finish my diy desk.

)))
Attached Thumbnails
Building my home setup (after 12 years of CRAP gear)-img-20191022-wa0002.jpg   Building my home setup (after 12 years of CRAP gear)-20191023_090943.jpg  
Old 31st October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Made 6 panels so far. Huge diff! This site has helped me learn so much. Its been a slow process but i am learning a lot.

I am building a table now too, got my first set of power tools! I will post more photos. I just stood the panels on the side to test but i will seat them properly. I hung one above the computer chair, for now ive taken it down till i finish my diy desk.

)))
Good stuff Jaguar! Glad to see it's all coming together. Hang in there.

My carpenter has been pretty busy, so I haven't even started the work on the panels and desk, but I have the dimensions and I'm ready as soon as he's available. The stands I'll do myself.

Right now, all my gear is just parked up, waiting to be set up again. But as soon as I'm done (hopefully in the first 1/4 of 2020), I'll share some pics.

Stay focused, and continue pursuing your passions. You've made quite a lot of progress already.
Old 11th November 2019
Gear Head
Hi Venvile thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated it really helps.

You can try getting a set of ryobi tools and make your own desk. Im making my desk currently, should be able to tell you how I am doing it. Its not perfect but its custom and I find this keeps my mind occupied and feel like i accomplish something.

Its official guys I am an official GS lol.., I have to sand and its too cold outside. I made 4x4 posts out of 2x4...sanding them...so now...lol...
Attached Thumbnails
Building my home setup (after 12 years of CRAP gear)-20191110_182807.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Might be a little late to be posting this depending on how your mic situation has changed, but just thought I would add my 2c on the Aston Origin.

I personally don't like it for vocals - at least on my voice. I have a warm audio wa87 which is much better suited for that, but my experience has been that the Origin sounds really, really good on acoustic instruments. Steel string + nylon string both sound terrific on this mic to my ears. Much better in fact, than the wa87. So it's a worthwhile mic if you record acoustic a lot.

Just my personal taste though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search