The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post some photos of low end vocal booths Condenser Microphones
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Lightbulb Post some photos of low end vocal booths

The more creative and ghetto, the better.

I don't have one, so I've tracked people's vocals in the dining room with terrible results. The ceilings are low. Absolutely no sound absorption. Sounds like a bathroom.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Just a walk in closet filled with acoustic panels. Not shown, but there are more panels on the opposite side.

Most panels not permanently installed as this photo was taken while building my new studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Post some photos of low end vocal booths-62ba25ce-b142-4e40-aa28-6d54bface587.jpg  
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Just a walk in closet filled with acoustic panels. Not shown, but there are more panels on the opposite side.

Most panels not permanently installed as this photo was taken while building my new studio.
How many panels are enough to cancel the reflections?
Old 15th March 2018
I've been working on a subterranean base for my vocal recordings...but flushing the tenants out has proved tricky so far....time to bring in the big guns...my Behringer C2 ought to do the trick!

Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Here’s one I made earlier...
Attached Thumbnails
Post some photos of low end vocal booths-7fe6a426-4d45-4a3c-aed2-5da6db30e7eb.jpg  
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Guru

A few years ago I was the English-Language voice of a doctor in an Egyptian soap opera. His arc was maybe seven or eight episodes. The looping was done in this garage studio in Van Nuys. The booth was so small the copy stand and script were on the outside of the window, and it smelled like the eleven people who preceded you, plus mildew. I would have taken pictures if there had been a place to stand.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
How many panels are enough to cancel the reflections?
I basically stuffed it with the excess panels that i had leftover until it settled down.

It’s a 4x4x8’ closet, so it was pretty bad acoustically.

There are (2) 24x48x4” fiberglass panels, (2) 12x24x2”, and (2) 48x6” around corner traps. And carpet.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoholic View Post
I can't imagine how that flat foam absorbs any reflections
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It absorbs the same as any shaped foam
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

This is my DIY booth. The walls are a frame and filled with high density Rock Wool.
Attached Thumbnails
Post some photos of low end vocal booths-2387ac89-faf7-46ae-a08d-49439a101c6c.jpg  
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
This is my DIY booth. The walls are a frame and filled with high density Rock Wool.
How do you like it?
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Here's a great article written in 2007 that is pertinent to this discussion. [ Room For Improvement | ]

Buried about 20 paragraphs down is this statement:
"Acoustic foam is less dense than the mineral-wool products described so far, and consequently it is less effective at absorbing low frequencies. Most is also sculpted to improve the aesthetics, as well as to present a more absorbent surface to sound arriving at an angle. However, these sculpted patterns reduce the average thickness, which again compromises low frequency absorption."

It's worth a full read.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you like it?
It’s fine but ideally could do with being bigger and have some reflections in it. I had to build something because I needed some sort of sound proofing.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
some reflections
Why would you want that? Is it too dead? You can't mix out the room.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why would you want that? Is it too dead? You can't mix out the room.
It sounds very dead. I tend to prefer a little more ambience (providing its a good sounding space).
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It sounds very dead. I tend to prefer a little more ambience (providing its a good sounding space).
Can't you throw up a tall mirror in there? I guess we all want that 15 foot cube room to track vocals in.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

I may add some reflections in there at some point but not in any hurry as it's working fine at the moment.
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoholic View Post
A couple of years ago a friend of mine built something very similar...it sounded terrible.

He was using it with a LDC tho.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulone82 View Post
A couple of years ago a friend of mine built something very similar...it sounded terrible.

He was using it with a LDC tho.
How was it bad?
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Maniac

It works enough for my purposes and budget
Old 18th March 2018
Seriously though...here's the hit factory...it's a tight little space, ideal for anything from 3 piece power rock, to morose singer songwriting navel gazers. It proves just the thing for vocal duties...a cheeky little space...home to all my greatest hits:

Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search