The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it possible to record a good amp sound by zoom q8?
Old 3rd March 2018
Here for the gear

Is it possible to record a good amp sound by zoom q8?

Hi everybody, I'm a beginner of recording. I didn't know any recording software so I started using a zoom q8 to mic my guitar amp. I tried it with a shure sm57 to mic my laney lt5 but the sound is sooooo crap. no matter where I place the mic it sounds hard and thin, just like a sound from 50$ little amp, no dynamic at all. Also it sounds a little more gain than the real sound. Even worse than record by iphone.

Anyone has recording experience by zoom q8? Is it possible to record a good sound? Please share some experience.

PS. my q8 setting is MOV 3M HD/30 24M video and WAV 96kHz/24bit. X/Y mic off (when it's on the sound is much more bright but still no dynamic)

Su
Old 3rd March 2018
Yes, anything is possible. As long as you understand what you need to do to get the sound you want recorded. A lot of it has to do with your mic placement and angle of placement and the room you are in.
The SM57 has recorded thousands of great guitar sounds, if not millions.
The Q8 has the same sound quality you'll find in all Zoom's stuff. It has high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz audio.

So it is possible, so you may need to be more diligent in experimentation with your mic placement and the area of the room you record in.

CJ
Old 3rd March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Yes, anything is possible. As long as you understand what you need to do to get the sound you want recorded. A lot of it has to do with your mic placement and angle of placement and the room you are in.
The SM57 has recorded thousands of great guitar sounds, if not millions.
The Q8 has the same sound quality you'll find in all Zoom's stuff. It has high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz audio.

So it is possible, so you may need to be more diligent in experimentation with your mic placement and the area of the room you record in.

CJ

Hi CJ, thanks for your comment, I have tried many mic placement but it just sounds not right. In fact, the sm57 even can't be close to the speakers. I placed it 2 inchs away to my cab with angle and a little far away from speaker edge, otherwise it sounds too bright and crank. I believe my sm57 is not a fake one, but I really can't find a good spot. I heard a condenser mic can get a darker and smoother sound and ordered a Audio Technica AT2020 today, hope it will help.

I never consider about room, it sounds very similar in my bedroom and living room, maybe I can't change the room much.

And I'm confused another thing, my cab is just on the floor, should I use a soft pad under my cab?

Su
Old 3rd March 2018
If you cannot get a good guitar sound from your SM57, you will surely not get it from an AT2020. Actually, in my opinion, the SM57 is way better for guitar then the AT2020. The AT2020 is a cheap condenser mic and i do not mean cheap by price.
Quote:
And I'm confused another thing, my cab is just on the floor, should I use a soft pad under my cab?
Sure, see if that helps. There are no right or wrong things to try.
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
If you cannot get a good guitar sound from your SM57, you will surely not get it from an AT2020. Actually, in my opinion, the SM57 is way better for guitar then the AT2020. The AT2020 is a cheap condenser mic and i do not mean cheap by price.

Sure, see if that helps. There are no right or wrong things to try.

Thanks CJ, I tried stereo mode to record, the problem seems be solved.

cheers
Old 9th March 2018
Quote:
I started using a zoom q8 to mic my guitar amp. I tried it with a Shure SM57 to mic my laney lt5 but the sound is sooooo crap
Wait a sec. Guitar is mono and when using one mic, this is mono also. So with this being fact, how did making it a stereo track solve your issue? It seems like a band aid to me, because you probably have both channels of the same exact thing.

You still have an issue that needs to be resolved
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Wait a sec. Guitar is mono and when using one mic, this is mono also. So with this being fact, how did making it a stereo track solve your issue? It seems like a band aid to me, because you probably have both channels of the same exact thing.

You still have an issue that needs to be resolved

Oh, I'm not sure, but there is a stereo link mode on zoom q8. it sounds much better when it's on. And I'm using 2 mics now, I tried at2020, it makes a little warmer than sm57 only.
Old 24th April 2019
Here for the gear

Did you adjust the mic gain?
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster7six View Post
Did you adjust the mic gain?
Same question here. The Zoom music cams have different automatic gain settings with a lot of compression/limiting. There is a manual gain setting, too. Do you use it? I just have the Q4. The Q8 has low cut and dynamic settings for each channel, so a lot of things we don't know could be wrong in your setup.
As always in relation to price the audio quality of these units is very good (much better than the camera quality IMO).
I can't believe that it is not possible to make a decent cab recording with a SM57 and the Zoom.
Old 29th April 2019
you should have a rear output or "loop" output from your amp. I use these. Some amps you can use one of the guitar inputs, and believe it or not, it will output sound to your Zoom Q8. I have one of these and tend to use the combo plugins more than the onboard mics.
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=DirkP;13944324]Same question here. The Zoom music cams have different automatic gain settings with a lot of compression/limiting. There is a manual gain setting, too. Do you use it? I just have the Q4. The Q8 has low cut and dynamic settings for each channel, so a lot of things we don't know could be wrong in your setup.
As always in relation to price the audio quality of these units is very good (much better than the camera quality IMO).

I bought one and tried to make a couple vids but they sounded horrible. I found a setting called pad, and I set mic gain to -6 and it came out like this

https://youtu.be/jIj3Yhlsf_8

Honestly haven't had time to mess with it and I know next to nothing about recording so it doesn't sound great. I'm sure someone with skills can make it sound great. You can record the video separate from 2 wave files so they can be edited.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search