The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best pair of Studio monitors for $1,000?
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best pair of Studio monitors for $1,000?

I'm ready to finally make an upgrade to some nice nearfield mons (from my M-Audio BX8s) and I'm lookin at a MAX budget of about $1,000. Of course studio monitors are very subjective tastes, but is there any general consensus as to the best value in the $500 to $1,000 range for the pair? I'm definitely willing to go used to get more bang for my buck. What do you guys recommend???
Old 18th April 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how big is your room?
Old 18th April 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Everybody loves A7s...

...and I do too. Can't wait for mine to get in, I've been waiting for about two months. They're worth it. I heard them for about an hour against some other big names and fell in love. Maybe lust. Maybe I'll have to coat them with liquid-resistant material.

But I will love them.

Last edited by Byrne; 19th April 2007 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
About 15' front wall to back and 18' side to side.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ADAM A7's are good but like every monitor you need to learn them. Its good to have 2 or 3 different setups to flick to and reference on.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i was lovin' my a7's, but i had some issues.

my mixes translated great, but after going through 5 of them, i returned 'em all and got something else (for 2x the price). but if you can find a pair that behaves, as many have, then you should definately consider them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lsr28p
jrt
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The good news is that anything will sound better than your BX8s.
I like my KRK v6 but I've heard great things about the ADAM A7s.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
another vote for the A7's here. before i got mine i compared them to a few others (genelec, mackie) Adams came out on top in my opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The A7 reviews generally seem great but then I hear all too often your case of noisy/crapping out units.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm in the same boat, looking to upgrade to about $1k a pair speakers. However, I might just save up and get a pair of Focals. I think it would be well worth it, but they're about twice the price. :(
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have a pair of the tannoy reveal actives,the blue ones,they are about $650usd, those and maybe the extra money for a good sub....

the reveals are pretty good...i wont say they are better than adams or anything but very decent and powered,just an idea...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mackie HR824's. I've listened to all the common contenders other than Blue Sky. Each has a strength for a certain frequency or type of music (on the A7 it's the highs). I think the HR824 covers the gamut the best. Adding a sub (I use the KRK Rokit 10 which is $300) can really help whatever you choose, although on the Mackies you can survive without one quite happily.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
In response to the 'crapping out' of equipment...

I find that this is largely due to the terrible idea of putting something what should imo definitely be exxternal (ie. amplifier) with plenty of room to cool, and placing it internally.

The ratio of people having an issue with an active monitor setup versus a passive is staggering.

That being said, I love the way the Mackie HR824 sound...especially for the price. I won't ever buy active, though...call me crazy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Although im not using the greatest moinitors right now, I can't seem to shake the idea that I'm going to suffer in the bass department when I "upgrade" to a model that doesn't have an 8" driver. I don't want to add a sub to my system but I don't want to lose the bass. Is this just an illusion because I'll have much more accurate bass in the new monitors that I wont notice the loss from the shrinking speaker size? I just can't seem to justify to myself that using monitors that only go down to 70Hz without a sub is ok...

All the quality sub 1k pairs seem to not have 8"s...
Old 19th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxoussone View Post
I find that this is largely due to the terrible idea of putting something what should imo definitely be exxternal (ie. amplifier) with plenty of room to cool, and placing it internally.
You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but (like most things in this world) there are also some very good reasons to integrate the poweramps into the design.

With regards to the A7 issue, perhaps there was a component issue in a manufacturing run (I have no idea). Regardless, I really wouldn't point to a somewhat isolated issue as proof, or evidence, or as indicative of a flaw, in what is an otherwise well established and widely accepted methodology.

I own, have owned, and continue to use daily, several pairs of active monitors. As I have for many, many, trouble-free years.

As always, YMMV.

For the original poster: I'd (also) recommend the A7s.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
two recommendations for the 824's, i see. i used these for a while, on loan, then got a pair of 624's. the 624's worked better for me (the low end of the 624 worked better for me). i then replaced those w/ the a7's (for a couple months), and now the focal solo6's.

in my case, the a7's worked a lot better for mix translation than the 624's, and right away.

of course, mileages vary.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi View Post
You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but (like most things in this world) there are also some very good reasons to integrate the poweramps into the design.
I absolutely agree. Implementation of bi-amped monitoring with effectively pronounced response from crossover integration is a hard thing to match with a passive setup...especially when looking at matching a sub.

Fact is, I've seen/heard of this problem from many more than just one manufacturer...from Event to Genelec.

Like I said, call me crazy...in fact, I'd prefer it to alluding that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have and dig mixing with the ADAM A7's. I also listened to the Dynaudio BM5's. I never mixed on the BM5s but in my listening tests at the retailer, they sounded great as well.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Mackie HR824's. I've listened to all the common contenders other than Blue Sky. Each has a strength for a certain frequency or type of music (on the A7 it's the highs). I think the HR824 covers the gamut the best. Adding a sub (I use the KRK Rokit 10 which is $300) can really help whatever you choose, although on the Mackies you can survive without one quite happily.
I myself cannot stand the Mackies.

I use the Event SP8

i think it is the best bang for the buck, in that price range

YMMV

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
I myself cannot stand the Mackies.

I use the Event SP8

i think it is the best bang for the buck, in that price range

YMMV

I think the ASP8s are a respectable speaker but they are very uneven above 1KHz I found. The upper mids recede and then comes this shiny top. They make electric guitars sound great and also hiphop drums sound great. I'd rather be the one making those sound great.

(I use S3A's these days)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So it looks like you're all recommending either the Mackie HR824, Dynaudio BM5A, or Adam A7 (most of you). These are all exactly 1k for the pair.

If I decide to go for an upgrade from my M-Audio BX8s but not go right to any of these 3, what would be somewhere in between? I mean funds are tight right now and 1k would be a real stretch. Can I still feel a significant upgrade for less than a thousand bucks.

Try to see it from the perspective of a basement home studio owner who currently uses BX8s, not you engineers with 100k+ "home studios"!!! haha
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I would recommend either Event TR8XL or just the TR8 (active) if you are looking to save money, which model entirely dependent upon how loud you feel is necessary for your application.

IMO I've not heard better for that price.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another vote here against the Mackie 824s. I can't stand them.

I like the Events, but I think sometimes things sound too good on them. I'm actually looking to get some P.O.S. speakers to add another point of reference when mixing.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxoussone View Post
I would recommend either Event TR8XL or just the TR8 (active) if you are looking to save money, which model entirely dependent upon how loud you feel is necessary for your application.

IMO I've not heard better for that price.
Event TR8 and TR8XL dont translate well and are tubby/muddy in the low mids IMO. I have the Event 2020/BAS which is a better speaker than either of those. My bass player has the TR8XL. Im not impressed and I think they sound like crap and I like Event BTW.
The ASP8 are on a whole diff level IMO. I would go for those in a heart beat over the TR series and 20/20 series
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
any opinions on the Tannoy Reveal 5As for less than $699 a pair???
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Two options I'd recommend:

1. A pair of NS-10's and a Crown DC300 amp. You won't want to listen to them for enjoyment but the mixes you turn out will sound great.

2. A pair of Mackie HR824's. These are super cheap now, you can get a pair and have money left over.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mackie HR824's 499$ at Musicains Friend right now.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I would recomend the mackie 624s and a pair of sennheiser hd 600s for acurate low end they seem to work very well with each other at least for me
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Event TR8 and TR8XL dont translate well and are tubby/muddy in the low mids IMO. I have the Event 2020/BAS which is a better speaker than either of those. My bass player has the TR8XL. Im not impressed and I think they sound like crap and I like Event BTW.
The ASP8 are on a whole diff level IMO. I would go for those in a heart beat over the TR series and 20/20 series
I also use the 20/20 (passive), but the 20/20BAS are significantly more than the TR8...which is why I said they were the best for that price.

I can agree that there is some discrepancy in the mid area, but I think muddy may be a harsh description...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
A pair of NS-10's and a Crown DC300 amp. You won't want to listen to them for enjoyment but the mixes you turn out will sound great.
An NS-10 setup is one of those 'if you can get a mixx sounding good on them, they will sound good on anything'. So, I am inclined to agree that they are a good choice.
πŸ“ Reply