The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best pair of Studio monitors for $1,000?
Old 19th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You might want to do a search for a used pair of Dynaudio BM6a. maybe 1200 or so. If you go with Mackies, get an older pair made in the USA, not the current product made in China. There is a signifcant difference IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I came across a 4 year old used pair of USA made HR824s for sale for 650. Should I jump on that?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheelTheMusic View Post
I came across a 4 year old used pair of USA made HR824s for sale for 650. Should I jump on that?
Definately worth asking if they're "made in USA"! The price is right!
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
its worth asking the question why are the 824s so chaep at the moment? has that anything to do with the quality of sound?

if you must go mackie then go for the 624. they are a later designed monitor and much better balanced sound. also the bottom end is much easier to control than the 824. not only is the 624 a better monitor it is much easier to position in your room. the 824 booms anywhere near corners or backwalls.

i originally started out in this price range under 1K and ended up spending 2K. my advice : monitors are one of those big life choices so make sure you make a long term decision. IMHO a monitor under 1K may not be a long term decision.

good luck
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How do the JBL lsr4326 compare to the Adam A7's? They are about the same price with the same size drivers.
Deleted User
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by shanabit
Event TR8 and TR8XL dont translate well and are tubby/muddy in the low mids IMO. I have the Event 2020/BAS which is a better speaker than either of those. My bass player has the TR8XL. Im not impressed and I think they sound like crap and I like Event BTW.
The ASP8 are on a whole diff level IMO. I would go for those in a heart beat over the TR series and 20/20 series

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I also use the 20/20 (passive), but the 20/20BAS are significantly more than the TR8...which is why I said they were the best for that price.

I can agree that there is some discrepancy in the mid area, but I think muddy may be a harsh description...?

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Kestral
A pair of NS-10's and a Crown DC300 amp. You won't want to listen to them for enjoyment but the mixes you turn out will sound great.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
An NS-10 setup is one of those 'if you can get a mixx sounding good on them, they will sound good on anything'. So, I am inclined to agree that they are a good choice.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Lets say smeared then Muddy is too harsh, your right. Just couldnt come up witht he word to desrcibe it. Im just straining my ears to hear in that area, ya know?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can pick up a pair of used Tannoy Reveal 6D monitors for $500. That seems like a hell of a deal to me. eh?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by shanabit
Event TR8 and TR8XL dont translate well and are tubby/muddy in the low mids IMO. I have the Event 2020/BAS which is a better speaker than either of those. My bass player has the TR8XL. Im not impressed and I think they sound like crap and I like Event BTW.
The ASP8 are on a whole diff level IMO. I would go for those in a heart beat over the TR series and 20/20 series

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I also use the 20/20 (passive), but the 20/20BAS are significantly more than the TR8...which is why I said they were the best for that price.

I can agree that there is some discrepancy in the mid area, but I think muddy may be a harsh description...?

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Kestral
A pair of NS-10's and a Crown DC300 amp. You won't want to listen to them for enjoyment but the mixes you turn out will sound great.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
An NS-10 setup is one of those 'if you can get a mixx sounding good on them, they will sound good on anything'. So, I am inclined to agree that they are a good choice.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Lets say smeared then Muddy is too harsh, your right. Just couldnt come up witht he word to desrcibe it. Im just straining my ears to hear in that area, ya know?
I can second your opinion of the Event TR-8. Never spent a good day with them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
its worth asking the question why are the 824s so chaep at the moment? has that anything to do with the quality of sound?

if you must go mackie then go for the 624. they are a later designed monitor and much better balanced sound. also the bottom end is much easier to control than the 824. not only is the 624 a better monitor it is much easier to position in your room. the 824 booms anywhere near corners or backwalls.

i originally started out in this price range under 1K and ended up spending 2K. my advice : monitors are one of those big life choices so make sure you make a long term decision. IMHO a monitor under 1K may not be a long term decision.

good luck
Hey Spec,

What did you get for 2K that you were happy with? I settled for BM6a. But I thought they all were not well balanced at that price point.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I completely disagree.

Booming near a corner or wall? That is because you aren't supposed to place them there.

The 624 will lakk a significant amount of bottom end that the 824 has inherently...and I certainly need bottom end!

The pricedrop has been broadcast for some time now, with many people I know patiently waiting...I'd imagine it has to do with a new model being released.

Quote:
I can pick up a pair of used Tannoy Reveal 6D monitors for $500. That seems like a hell of a deal to me. eh?

I have not had good exxperience with the Tannoy name. I found them not to be good at all for a longer session...very ?ear-tiring?...IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMHO the used quested f11as on ebay would be a super steal! I love mine!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will Tannoy Reveal 8Ds be a significant improvement over my M-Audio BX8s? If so, I think I'm gonna jump on a great deal on a used pair I found. I would have to wait a little while before I could splurge for 1k+ mons so this might be a good short/mid term solution for me...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

yeah man ive got the older series reveals, 6's i believe and i very impressed with them for thier price...ive used pro acs and genelics and a lot of other pro stuff so i did have a solid reference to draw from...

one thing that kinda sold these to me was the rather large mid-range sweet spot...for 600 or so clams very, very respectable...

good luck and let us know what you choose and what your thoughts after youve had em for a while
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You don't want to change monitors very often, remember. It will take you a while to learn and adjust to them. Initially, you might hate monitors that are actually more accurate because they aren't giving you what you're used to looking for. You also have to learn to place them in your room and learn what levels to run them at. All of these things take time.

I would argue monitoring (DAC, amps, speakers, treatments, placement, and room) is as important collectively as recording or processing and you shouldn't hesitate to spend 1/3rd or more of a limited budget on it. Once it's "adequate" (whenever you get there) you can start spending greater proportions on the other things, guided by your ability to hear exactly what they are doing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
yeah man ive got the older series reveals, 6's i believe and i very impressed with them for thier price...ive used pro acs and genelics and a lot of other pro stuff so i did have a solid reference to draw from...

one thing that kinda sold these to me was the rather large mid-range sweet spot...for 600 or so clams very, very respectable...

good luck and let us know what you choose and what your thoughts after youve had em for a while
i have the Tannoy active reveals, the blue ones, i really like them.
Old 19th April 2007
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm ready to finally make an upgrade to some nice nearfield mons (from my M-Audio BX8s) and I'm lookin at a MAX budget of about $1,000. Of course studio monitors are very subjective tastes, but is there any general consensus as to the best value in the $500 to $1,000 range for the pair? I'm definitely willing to go used to get more bang for my buck. What do you guys recommend???
i use the BM5As and they work great in my room. i've tried using them in other rooms and they were too bright. but in some rooms they are amazing. i got them as a floor model at gtr center for something silly like $700 for the pair.

i have found the BM15As to be great in all rooms. don't know why, but they are out of your 1k budget. i'd try the BM5A if i were you. i saw adds that dynaudio is now putting out speakers slightly larger than the 5As...

i've always preferred passive speakers until i heard dynaudios. KRK and Genelec drive me insane because the midrange is five blocks down the road and the speakers don't push any air! but dynaudio has changed my active speaker mindblock.

FWIW, i can't stand the Mackies.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
How do the JBL lsr4326 compare to the Adam A7's? They are about the same price with the same size drivers.
Bump?

Any thoughts on the JBL's?
Old 5th July 2007 | Show parent
JB3
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
BUMP!

Nobody using JBL's as studio monitors?

LSR4326?

...JB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
BUMP!

Nobody using JBL's as studio monitors?

LSR4326?
I wanted to but couldn't afford them. I got ADAM A7's instead.

I believe Jules just posted a thread about equipment that improves your work. I listed my Pultec, v72's, and A7's.

I haven't compared them to anything. But they're like a fine wine. Normal speakers all taste cheap now.

p.s.
Oh, I had a problem with one of the tweeters, so I called them up. They sent me to a repair person by the name of Julie. I dropped it off. 2 weeks later it works brand new. No charge under the warranty (2 years I think it was). Julie said it was a rather odd and rare issue too.

Last edited by soupking; 5th July 2007 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: postscript
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hmm... I hear all the raving about A7 but... why utility and look doesn't always go together?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Try some Realistic 6x9s.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I did something like you are up to.

First I had some really cheap stuff, like the M-audio you have.. then I wanted something better. but I didn't have so much money (or didn't want to wait longer) and bought some medium stuff around 800USD...

Finally I fed up with them too and went to the Dynaudio BM6A, which I still have.

I learned the following:
When you are serious about making music, the first thing you should spend: 2000Bugs for a pair of monitors like the dynaudio BM6A, which I consider now MINIMUM!

By steping up like you plan to, you finally loose and spend more money and most of the time cope with speakers that aren't that good.
Wheres the point in that?

Stick with your M-audio, safe more money a couple of months and go for something that will least longer. around 1000bugs a pair (I assume is really not worth to spend for what you get.)

Once you worked a while with BM6a or genelec 1031 you will find your money well spend. You will never regret it. Check ebay, maybe you do not even have to spend that much since some may upgrade to the new genelecs or bm6a mk2... it may be a good point in time now.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
don't forget passive

You could also do the BM6(passive): $800
with a used Hafler Transnova: $300.

I went this route, and couldn't be happier.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i have the jbl lsr4328

but only for some das now, so i canΒ΄t say anything about long term usw and how they translate

but i absolutely love them now!
very good and thight bass, nice heights that offer good detail of the mix without being tiring

very good insight into depth of a mix and prezise panorama

(i prefer them to the dynaudio bm15 of a freind of mine, but it may be that those were in too small a room for their size)
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
You don't want to change monitors very often, remember. It will take you a while to learn and adjust to them. Initially, you might hate monitors that are actually more accurate because they aren't giving you what you're used to looking for.
Great point. I'm using the JBL LSR4328s now and am very happy with them, though initially I found them a bit harsh. However, I suspect my previous monitors were a bit lacking on the high end as my mixes definitely translate to other sources better with the JBLs.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
very happy with my asp-8s events. also great customer service!
Old 6th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
You could also do the BM6(passive): $800
with a used Hafler Transnova: $300.

I went this route, and couldn't be happier.
GREAT TIP!!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i wise man once told me if you can mix on the cheapest old non name brand speakers and make the mix sound good it will sound good on anything!!! except for the bass and sub you do need a sub because bass is the hardest thing to mix!!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushuz View Post
if you can mix on the cheapest old non name brand speakers and make the mix sound good...
Therein lies the rub!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have passive event 20/20s and a Adcom GFA 555 II amp.

you can get that combination for 600 bucks or so now. Mixes translate well.
πŸ“ Reply