The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nominations for the absolute best mic under $100 new
Old 4 weeks ago
  #61
Here for the gear
 

The Precision Pro Audio LD-One is a very nice sounding microphone. From China with love.
http://precisionproaudio.com/product...ne-microphone/
Old 4 weeks ago
  #62
I never heard a cheap chinese LDC that I really liked. Some of them are good for what they cost, but as soon as you start compressing and EQing they can’t compete with more expensive LDCs, because production costs for a decent LDC are just very high.

Cheap ribbon mics on the other hand can be very good! I just got two tbone rb500 in a sale for 75€ each and they are amazing! In front of a guitar amp they add exactly the body and room thats sometimes missing from the SM57, and compared to a chinese LDC its very hard to make them sound bad. They are big and heavy and sound and feel a lot more expensive than they are.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #63
Deleted 80fad10
Guest
"The absolute best Mic" doesn´t exist.
My personal favorite low budget mics are Shure SM57 and Rode M3 because they sound good, are rugged, reliable and very versatile.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #64
Deleted 80fad10
Guest
"The absolute best Mic" doesn´t exist.
My personal favorite low budget mics are Shure SM57 and Rode M3 because they sound good, are rugged, reliable and very versatile.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Rode M3 Shhhhh.

Other than the self noise (best for close miking), that sounds a LOT more expen$ive than it is...
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #66
Lives for gear
not under 100, but other great bargins are the Line Audio CM1/CM4 and the BIV ribbon.

Have any tried the peavy electrete padel mic? Looks about like e906
Old 4 weeks ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 
mutetourettes's Avatar
 

I'm happy with my 3U CM1-teal I'm pretty sure that was under $100 - are they still?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
I'm happy with my 3U CM1-teal I'm pretty sure that was under $100 - are they still?
I think they're $125 now, at least the black version is.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #69
Gear Nut
 
Strick9's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
The 3U Audio's and the Advanced Audio's are both reputed to be fine capsules.
My understanding, is that 3U provides them to Warm.
Chris
They're tuned differently though. GZ told me the diaphragm tension is tighter than the standard 3U capsules to achieve higher signal-to-noise ratio through higher polarization (80v).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
They're tuned differently though. GZ told me the diaphragm tension is tighter than the standard 3U capsules to achieve higher signal-to-noise ratio through higher polarization (80v).
Who's capsules are tuned different? Advanced Audio, or Warm Audio?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #71
Gear Nut
 
Strick9's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Who's capsules are tuned different? Advanced Audio, or Warm Audio?
Warm's are tuned differently than the standard 3U
Old 4 weeks ago
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
Warm's are tuned differently than the standard 3U
Warm's own product descriptions say that their capsules are polarized at 50v for the Neumann clones and 60v for the WA14. Not that I doubt what Guosheng says, I'm sure Warm just isn't polarizing them to 80v.

EDIT: The WA47s are 80v capsules.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 4 weeks ago at 05:58 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #73
Gear Nut
 
Strick9's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Warm's own product descriptions say that their capsules are polarized at 50v for the Neumann clones and 60v for the WA14. Not that I doubt what Guosheng says, I'm sure Warm just isn't polarizing them to 80v, or just wants it to seem like they aren't using capsules manufactured by another company.
Where did you find those numbers? I don't see that on the product pages for the mics on their website. Their capsule part number end in 80v for the 47 and 60v for the 14.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
Where did you find those numbers? I don't see that on the product pages for the mics on their website. Their capsule part number end in 80v for the 47 and 60v for the 14.
My bad, I guess it's just the WA87 that's only 50v.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #75
Gear Nut
 
Strick9's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
My bad, I guess it's just the WA87 that's only 50v.
Actually, it may only be the 47 capsule that’s tuned differently. That’s the only one I asked about.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
Actually, it may only be the 47 capsule that’s tuned differently. That’s the only one I asked about.
Yeah both the WA47 and WA47jr use 80v capsules. The "CK12" based ones (not built like a true CK12) are 60v in both the WA14 and WA251. The WA87 is 50v.

I'd actually really like to get my hands on a WA-47jr seems like a nice little mic for $300. Though It'd probably be smarter just to put another $50 towards one of the multipattern Warblers. I'm trying to avoid clone mics though because they don't have very good resale value. I had a hard enough time selling my T2 and actually had to take it to a pawn shop (long story, but my AT4050s get me a flat enough sound, and I put the money I got from the T2 towards some a pair of new MK-012 capsules).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #77
Lives for gear
 

Generally for vocals...
The Roswell Mini K47, will be superior vs. The Warm Jr. Sounds bigger, ironically warmer.
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #78
Gear Maniac
 

The Neat Microphones King Bee was originally around $360, then dropped to $139, and can now be found for $99. It's a nice larger-than-life LDC with a beefy transformer.
The Worker Bee was originally $199 and now you can find it for $89. It's a side-address transformerless MDC. The freq response curve is wavy but all within a couple dB and it sounds very nice, clean, and natural/in-hyped.
TapeOp review of both by Andy Hong was very positive, and that was at the original prices. I don't know if Gibson is discontinuing the whole line or what, so getting one serviced in the future may be tough, but who gets $100 mics serviced anyway?
Also, Sterling Audio SL230MP is a matched pair of end-address MDCs for $150, so $75 per mic. Nice for the price.
I've never heard any of the iSK mics so I can't compare, but this thread has me thinking of trying some out.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
The Neat Microphones King Bee was originally around $360, then dropped to $139, and can now be found for $99. It's a nice larger-than-life LDC with a beefy transformer.
The Worker Bee was originally $199 and now you can find it for $89. It's a side-address transformerless MDC. The freq response curve is wavy but all within a couple dB and it sounds very nice, clean, and natural/in-hyped.
TapeOp review of both by Andy Hong was very positive, and that was at the original prices. I don't know if Gibson is discontinuing the whole line or what, so getting one serviced in the future may be tough, but who gets $100 mics serviced anyway?
Also, Sterling Audio SL230MP is a matched pair of end-address MDCs for $150, so $75 per mic. Nice for the price.
I've never heard any of the iSK mics so I can't compare, but this thread has me thinking of trying some out.
A wavy frequency response also probably hasn't been smoothed as much. This is actually why I like Audio Technica, they're a bit more honest with their plots. Also Oktava gives you plots for the individual mics.

When I get some time I'll be comparing the iSK Little Gem (supercardioid and omni), Pearl, and Oktava MK-012 (hypercardioid capsule). It won't necessarily be apples to apples, since I only have the hypercardioid capsules for the MK-012.

Might throw in the 3U Audio CM100 as well with it's hyper cardioid capsule (and maybe the cardioid capsule, the cardioid flat capsule, which I don't have is should be similar to the hyper but its polar pattern is closer to cardioid with a tiny lobe of sensitivity behind it. So it's probably somewhere between super cardioid and cardioid). The CM100 is great, honestly it might be a better value than any of the other mics mentioned, but it is over $100. It's closer to $200 depending on which version you get, but it's definitely worth every cent. Not that the iSK's aren't good value either, because they are, but the CM100 is much closer to a "professional mic" than the others, except maybe the Oktava. They're pretty on par, but the CM100 gets the edge for being smaller, a bit flatter, and having a built in pad and high pass filter. Seems a bit sturdier too. Guosheng seems like one of the good guys too. Unlike a lot of clone mic manufacturers he doesn't advertise his mics as replacements for the classics, and only uses the model number of the classic mics in a couple of his premium tube mics (e.g. the GZ67).

Honestly my Oktavas are really just my affordable "known" location mics until I can justify buying a Schoeps CMC6 with the hypercardioid capsule (though I do love the sound of pretty much any of the Oktava mics, I really just want the Schoeps to score clients who shop with their eyes so to speak and won't rent the gear). Same with my NTG2 being my outdoor mic until I can justify an MKH416 or NTG3. (I don't really like the sound of the Deity S-Mic 2 that much, which is why I'm not considering it).

But I wouldn't be surprised if the CM100 can get similar results to the expensive mics. I'm sure it performs at least as well as the AT4053b and Audix SCX1HC. Though I prefer the sound of the Oktava MK-012 over the AT4053b anyway.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 4 weeks ago at 12:54 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #80
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
The Neat Microphones King Bee was originally around $360, then dropped to $139, and can now be found for $99. It's a nice larger-than-life LDC with a beefy transformer.
The Worker Bee was originally $199 and now you can find it for $89. It's a side-address transformerless MDC. The freq response curve is wavy but all within a couple dB and it sounds very nice, clean, and natural/in-hyped.
TapeOp review of both by Andy Hong was very positive, and that was at the original prices. I don't know if Gibson is discontinuing the whole line or what, so getting one serviced in the future may be tough, but who gets $100 mics serviced anyway?
Also, Sterling Audio SL230MP is a matched pair of end-address MDCs for $150, so $75 per mic. Nice for the price.
I've never heard any of the iSK mics so I can't compare, but this thread has me thinking of trying some out.
I own a pair of the SL230MP and they're surprisingly good on overheads.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #81
Gear Nut
 
Strick9's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Generally for vocals...
The Roswell Mini K47, will be superior vs. The Warm Jr. Sounds bigger, ironically warmer.
Chris
I don't really think there's much difference between the two. Mic-parts guy basically implied the 47jr uses the same schoeps circuit in that other Mini K47 thread a week or two ago. I wanted to trace the circuit to verify, but there's some black coating that I've never seen before and makes it tough to see the layout.

I have a RK47 in another mic. It and the Warm have the same vibe even with different circuits. A couple db here or there and they sound the same. I have a tough time telling them apart. From what I have read from other capsule makers about the RK47, and found out from GZ about the warm, is both capsules have tighter diaphragm tunings than typical 47 style capsules. My own tests confirm to me that they pretty much sound the same. At least with the Warm you get 3 patterns for $50 less.

Both mics are still a good value. I think the Warbler II should be better, because the regular 3U K47 capsule is superior to the RK47. One of these days I'll get one and post a test of all the value 47 mics.
Attached Thumbnails
Nominations for the absolute best mic under 0 new-img_2670.jpg   Nominations for the absolute best mic under 0 new-img_2671.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #82
Lives for gear
 

Strick, the Warm 47jr, made my Baritone voice sound "smaller than life". The Mini K47 was fine though.

Check out my posts #41 & #52 , for vocals on the AKG P120 & Oktava 319 respectively.
Both IMHO are superior, to the Warm 47 Jr.

The Warm WA-47 is a different story, and a fine vocal mic.
Chris
P.S. I have faith in Chad at Signal Arts. So... If/when I'd ever get a Warm 47jr., it'd be sent off for his mod.
(he has more info on his website regarding this). Supposed to move into 87-ish territory after that.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #83
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Strick, the Warm 47jr, made my Baritone voice sound "smaller than life". .
I'm a baritone as well. I don't know if it was quality control or what but I tried the 47Jr. It was literally the worst (LDC) mic I've ever tried. Maybe I was expecting a sound similar to the Neumann 47fet. Sounded nothing like a 47fet. Dull, narrow, muddy, boxy is how I would describe the sound of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #84
Lives for gear
 

Any negatives?
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
  #85
I wonder if the WA-47jr even uses the 3U Audio capsule then. If it does there's got to be something weird about the circuit. If not, I don't see why they wouldn't just go with the RK-47 capsules then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
I don't really think there's much difference between the two. Mic-parts guy basically implied the 47jr uses the same schoeps circuit in that other Mini K47 thread a week or two ago. I wanted to trace the circuit to verify, but there's some black coating that I've never seen before and makes it tough to see the layout.

I have a RK47 in another mic. It and the Warm have the same vibe even with different circuits. A couple db here or there and they sound the same. I have a tough time telling them apart. From what I have read from other capsule makers about the RK47, and found out from GZ about the warm, is both capsules have tighter diaphragm tunings than typical 47 style capsules. My own tests confirm to me that they pretty much sound the same. At least with the Warm you get 3 patterns for $50 less.

Both mics are still a good value. I think the Warbler II should be better, because the regular 3U K47 capsule is superior to the RK47. One of these days I'll get one and post a test of all the value 47 mics.
That looks like Plastidip, or a similar spray or painted liquid rubber sealant. I have to say it's interesting how only the surface mount components are covered. Maybe the through hole ones would have issues if they covered them, but then why even coat the PCB in the first place.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #86
Lives for gear
 
MarkF48's Avatar
Many manufacturers will spray a 'conformal' coating onto a PCB to protect components and copper traces from environmental elements that might cause corrosion or other contamination. This mic manufacturer went a step further with the coating to hide components and traces from being pirated.
https://www.intertronics.co.uk/2016/...-pcb-security/
Old 4 weeks ago
  #87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Many manufacturers will spray a 'conformal' coating onto a PCB to protect components and copper traces from environmental elements that might cause corrosion or other contamination. This mic manufacturer went a step further with the coating to hide components and traces from being pirated.
https://www.intertronics.co.uk/2016/...-pcb-security/
Pretty interesting considering Warm makes clone mics. I can't imagine they went out of their way to design a new circuit for a $300 mic. I wouldn't be surprised if it were just the standard Schoeps circuit.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #88
Here for the gear
 

The list is almost endless as far as good mics you "CAN" get for $100 and below. But since you're talking retail; sm57/Behinger b-1

still keep in mind you can get really decent mics for $100 used on craigslist.. bluebird, tube mics, rode nt1a's, Etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #89
Gear Maniac
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

How did you decide I don’t use what I build
Or more importantly have clients using them everyday in working studios????!

Plots are part of getting things correct, sorry pal, you are way way off in your thinking here.
And that is no option that is a fact...
Seem the fact that I have invested in test gear,
Worries you? Somehow? Why?




Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
If you knew half as much about mics as you act, you'd know it's not all about plots. How does the freaking thing sound? These are microphones and music we're talking about, not math equations and thesis papers. You talk a lot about how you test and you plot. Have you ever actually recorded with various mics?

There is also not your opinion and the wrong one. Stating as much doesn't exactly build your credibility either.

Not to my ears, at least not for vocals...I'll take a Senn 835 any day. The 57 is a great and versatile mic though. To each their own!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #90
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

My pair of ISK Pearls arrived on Monday, and I must say that, on first impression, they must be the best value out there at the moment.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump