The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nominations for the absolute best mic under $100 new
Old 17th January 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Shure SM57/58's IMHO to shine, need a better pre, than a Mackie Onyx, for example. Something like a Studio Projects VTB-1, on up. Chris
Old 1 week ago
  #32
Bumping, but another vote for the iSK Pearls and Little Gems. I also like the BM-600 which is more like $120.

I do wish the Little Gem were a little quieter and flatter sounding, but for $50 USD each they're not bad.
Old 1 week ago
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

Sm57 ...best $100 value in a mic, for many, many years... very consistent.
Cheep condensers are just that...
Compared to the km184 is laughable...
Come on guys ...I have done plots on many capsules, the day I plot a China capsule as flat as a km184, that will be the day....even with the rise in the high end , unlike the km84, it is very consistent, and very flat other than the bump,
China capsules are inconsistent, have peaks and valleys , usually right next to each other and never the same capsule to capsule.
Neumann capsules are expensive, and very very good...even better than some very high end handmade capsules.
China capsules look like hell on a plots , peaks and valleys, never plotted a Neumann like that ever...even China capsules skinned in the USA, eu, suffer the same. The backplane is a problem.
I have tried many..I no longer use China capsules in any mic I build.
Just saying, some people are getting a bit carried away with China mic love around here...
If you like it great, but it is no Neumann...not even close

Last edited by chipss36; 1 week ago at 08:32 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Sm57 ...best $100 value in a mic, for many, many years... very consistent.
Cheep condensers are just that...
Compared to the km184 is laughable...
Come on guys ...I have done plots on many capsules, the day I plot a China capsule as flat as a km184, that will be the day....even with the rise in the high end , unlike the km84, it is very consistent, and very flat other than the bump,
China capsules are inconsistent, have peaks and valleys , usually right next to each other and never the same capsule to capsule.
Neumann capsules are expensive, and very very good...even better than some very high end handmade capsules.
China capsules look like hell on a plots , peaks and valleys, never plotted a Neumann like that ever...even China capsules skinned in the USA, eu, suffer the same. The backplane is a problem.
I have tried many..I no longer use China capsules in any mic I build.
Just saying, some people are getting a bit carried away with China mic love around here...
If you like it great, but it is no Neumann...not even close
Have you inspected the iSK mics yet? The Pearls are nicely flat with impressive detail. As a matter of fact iSK capsules are very nice on the iSK 2B and the Starlight. Really impressive detail.
Old 1 week ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Sm57 ...best $100 value in a mic, for many, many years... very consistent.
Cheep condensers are just that...
Compared to the km184 is laughable...
Come on guys ...I have done plots on many capsules, the day I plot a China capsule as flat as a km184, that will be the day....even with the rise in the high end , unlike the km84, it is very consistent, and very flat other than the bump,
China capsules are inconsistent, have peaks and valleys , usually right next to each other and never the same capsule to capsule.
Neumann capsules are expensive, and very very good...even better than some very high end handmade capsules.
China capsules look like hell on a plots , peaks and valleys, never plotted a Neumann like that ever...even China capsules skinned in the USA, eu, suffer the same. The backplane is a problem.
I have tried many..I no longer use China capsules in any mic I build.
Just saying, some people are getting a bit carried away with China mic love around here...
If you like it great, but it is no Neumann...not even close
Old 1 week ago
  #36
Gear Head
SM58 with the cap screwed off. Just kidding: SM57.
Old 1 week ago
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Sm57 ...best $100 value in a mic, for many, many years... very consistent.
Cheep condensers are just that...
Compared to the km184 is laughable...
Come on guys ...I have done plots on many capsules, the day I plot a China capsule as flat as a km184, that will be the day....even with the rise in the high end , unlike the km84, it is very consistent, and very flat other than the bump,
China capsules are inconsistent, have peaks and valleys , usually right next to each other and never the same capsule to capsule.
Neumann capsules are expensive, and very very good...even better than some very high end handmade capsules.
China capsules look like hell on a plots , peaks and valleys, never plotted a Neumann like that ever...even China capsules skinned in the USA, eu, suffer the same. The backplane is a problem.
I have tried many..I no longer use China capsules in any mic I build.
Just saying, some people are getting a bit carried away with China mic love around here...
If you like it great, but it is no Neumann...not even close
Yet the iSK ICDM dynamic mic sounds a lot nicer than an SM57 to my ears, very clean and doesn't have that ugly presence boost the SM57/58 have, much smoother like something from Beyerdynamic, and it costs half as much as an SM58. And 3U Audio's mics are Neumann flat, provided you get the ones that are Neumann inspired. But they're not under $100 so I can't recommend them in the thread.

And the Pearls can get very close to the KM-184 IMO, closer than the Rode NT5, and considering the Pearl is $30 USD, that really speaks for the quality of iSK's offerings.

And sorry to break it to you, but Chinese capsules can be made to sound very close to Neumann capsules. The difference between a U87 and a cheap copy? It's the EQ circuit and FET biasing. With those two components properly spec'd you get something insanely close to a U87, sometimes it can even sound (subjectively) nicer because Neumann also rolls off a bit of the low end from the K67 capsules. The only Chinese large diaphragm capsule I find that don't sound as close to the inspiration as they should and the Chinese CK12 capsules (the Chinese K47s don't sound too U47 like either, but U47s sound pretty different from each other too). There's a noticeable difference between those and an authentic properly made CK12 like Tim Campbell's.

If two U47s don't sound the same, I don't see why we should expect Chinese mics to perfectly match either. At least the Chinese mics are budget friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Have you inspected the iSK mics yet? The Pearls are nicely flat with impressive detail. As a matter of fact iSK capsules are very nice on the iSK 2B and the Starlight. Really impressive detail.
I kind of wish the Little Gem had the capsule from the Pearl (or at least BM-80) in them, or just had a couple dB less high end, and I'd easily pay twice as much if they were a bit closer sounding to the Pearl (both in frequency response and self noise). Could be a great MK-012 alternative if they had done it that way. I wouldn't mind modding my Little Gems either (maybe a capacitor to roll off 3 dB of the high end), but I wouldn't do a thing to my Pearls. They're great as is.

Interestingly I don't get much RF interference on my Little Gems like some people do. I even moved them close to my router and smartphone to see if it would happen because I heard a demo where somebody was getting more interference the closer they were to their router.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 1 week ago at 09:00 PM..
Old 6 days ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 

With all due respect... I don't know of any Chinese capsules, that are the equal of Neumann/Bock/Chandler/Soyuz/Tim Campbell/Eric Heiserman/et al
You get the idea.
Chris
Old 6 days ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 

P.S. I do agree the better Chinese capsules can sound excellent and more than adequate for professional recording.

Under $100 new, I also nominate the new AKG P120.
Old 6 days ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Under $100 new, I also nominate the new AKG P120.
Interesting. I have one of those in a box that I've never hooked up.

WHY you ask with bated breath?

Because I bought if from a friend for $40 under the impression it was a P220!

When I realized it didn't match the other 220 I had, I put it in a drawer where it sits to this day.

Now I suppose I'd better try it.
Old 6 days ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

The P120 is excellent for demos, and even pro BGV's IMHO.
Me on the P120 below...
Chris
Attached Files

Song 73I'mgonnaloveyouP120.wav (2.08 MB, 428 views)

Old 6 days ago
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

This!
A good capsule that is consistent, starts around four times $100, and goes up form that point.

A sm57 is hard to beat at $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
With all due respect... I don't know of any Chinese capsules, that are the equal of Neumann/Bock/Chandler/Soyuz/Tim Campbell/Eric Heiserman/et al
You get the idea.
Chris
Old 6 days ago
  #43
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post

I kind of wish the Little Gem had the capsule from the Pearl (or at least BM-80) in them, or just had a couple dB less high end, and I'd easily pay twice as much if they were a bit closer sounding to the Pearl (both in frequency response and self noise). Could be a great MK-012 alternative if they had done it that way. I wouldn't mind modding my Little Gems either (maybe a capacitor to roll off 3 dB of the high end), but I wouldn't do a thing to my Pearls. They're great as is.

Interestingly I don't get much RF interference on my Little Gems like some people do. I even moved them close to my router and smartphone to see if it would happen because I heard a demo where somebody was getting more interference the closer they were to their router.
And I wish you could swap in an omni cap for The Pearl like you can with 012's. I loved my 012's and found a lot of use for the omni capsule. They were even modded by Michael Joly. But putting the Pearl beside the 012 showed me how the color we all love in the MK012 is actually distortion which smears detail in the lower midrange. The Pearl imparts no color, has great clean detail across the spectrum and sounds very flat in the high end with just a hint of bite (depending on the pre you're using).

The detail allows me to control color with plugins and maintain more detail.
Old 6 days ago
  #44
Gear Maniac
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

Sorry to beak it to you.
I test stuff, and know better...
No China capsule gets close to Neumann.
Few small batch handmade capsules do.
A u87 at its heart is the capsule and the transformer, you seemed to have gloss over the transformer,
And do not understand the limited ways the u87 filter works. or don’t understand the u87 circuit, like you think you do.
The km84 it is critical and well as , and the specs of its one single gainstage fet, not so critical in a u87...
China is horrible at transformers as well...
They are no carnhill, stower, or other well made u87 transformer...

Also the brand you recommended 3U Audio, and in the company’s own plots suffer exactly how all China capsules do, double bumps in the high end, and a valley, you can not eq that out,I have been down that road.....eq the tops off to get it flat, the valley is a hole , and the mic sound very bad, exactly why the double bumps are still in place...
a Neumann
Thursh, or camble, beezknees.. or other high end capsule will not do that, that’s what you are paying for....

Glad you like your mic. Enjoy it.
Make music and be happy with it, but....
It is not a Neumann, it is not even close...
Sorry I know better, and have been building mics for ummm a few years now. And know better.
The China capsules guys come into groupdiy all the time with the latest greatest, so far all have the same exact issues....that has not changed.
Or mic builders would be all over it if China pulled off a great capsule, the fact is they have not...

You are getting a bit carried way here..
Do you work for isk??
Sure Seems so....






Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
Yet the iSK ICDM dynamic mic sounds a lot nicer than an SM57 to my ears, very clean and doesn't have that ugly presence boost the SM57/58 have, much smoother like something from Beyerdynamic, and it costs half as much as an SM58. And 3U Audio's mics are Neumann flat, provided you get the ones that are Neumann inspired. But they're not under $100 so I can't recommend them in the thread.

And the Pearls can get very close to the KM-184 IMO, closer than the Rode NT5, and considering the Pearl is $30 USD, that really speaks for the quality of iSK's offerings.

And sorry to break it to you, but Chinese capsules can be made to sound very close to Neumann capsules. The difference between a U87 and a cheap copy? It's the EQ circuit and FET biasing. With those two components properly spec'd you get something insanely close to a U87, sometimes it can even sound (subjectively) nicer because Neumann also rolls off a bit of the low end from the K67 capsules. The only Chinese large diaphragm capsule I find that don't sound as close to the inspiration as they should and the Chinese CK12 capsules (the Chinese K47s don't sound too U47 like either, but U47s sound pretty different from each other too). There's a noticeable difference between those and an authentic properly made CK12 like Tim Campbell's.

If two U47s don't sound the same, I don't see why we should expect Chinese mics to perfectly match either. At least the Chinese mics are budget friendly.

I kind of wish the Little Gem had the capsule from the Pearl (or at least BM-80) in them, or just had a couple dB less high end, and I'd easily pay twice as much if they were a bit closer sounding to the Pearl (both in frequency response and self noise). Could be a great MK-012 alternative if they had done it that way. I wouldn't mind modding my Little Gems either (maybe a capacitor to roll off 3 dB of the high end), but I wouldn't do a thing to my Pearls. They're great as is.

Interestingly I don't get much RF interference on my Little Gems like some people do. I even moved them close to my router and smartphone to see if it would happen because I heard a demo where somebody was getting more interference the closer they were to their router.

Last edited by chipss36; 6 days ago at 12:56 AM..
Old 6 days ago
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Sorry to beak it to you.
I test stuff, and know better...
No China capsule gets close to Neumann.
Few small batch handmade capsules do.
A u87 at its heart is the capsule and the transformer, you seemed to have gloss over the transformer,
And do not understand the limited ways the u87 filter works. or don’t understand the u87 circuit, like you think you do.
China is horrible at transformers as well...
They are no carnhill, stower, or other well made u87 transformer...

Also the brand you recommended 3U Audio, and in the company’s own plots suffer exactly how all China capsules do, double bumps in the high end, and a valley, you can not eq that out,I have been down that road.....
a Neumann
Thursh, or camble or other high end capsule will not do that, that’s what you are paying for....

Glad you like your mic. Enjoy it.
Make music and be happy with it, but....
It is not a Neumann, it is not even close...
Sorry I know better, and have been building mics for ummm a few years now. And know better.

You are getting a bit carried way here..
Do you work for isk??
Sure Seems so....
Not at all (as in I don't work for them), but people have made very competent U87 clones using Chinese capsules. Assuming you use the proper circuit you can easily get 90% of the sound of a U87. Interesting you'd say I work for iSK considering the North American seller most of us buy from doesn't even offer the Neumann copy models. Yeah, the Neumann capsules will have better machining, but you can get the same sound out of a decently made Chinese K67 capsule, even the K47s are good. Which is exactly my point.

I don't believe a $30 Chinese capsule will be built as well as a $1000ish German one, but they sure as hell sound pretty similar once you use the right circuit. There are shootouts and even measurements on sites like GroupDIY that support this.

And as I said, I don't like the Chinese CK12s because they don't sound very much like the original brass models, because they're not. They're edge terminated versions of the K67 copies. This is why I'd get a Tim Campbell CT12 if I were building a C414 clone (because I like the sound of the brass one). But even AKG's replacement for the Teflon C414 is under $200, and it's also a perfectly usable capsule.

If we're discussing build quality, then yeah capsules costing several hundred dollars will be way better, but if we're discussing sound, the Chinese K67 copies can get really close. Especially the K67 ones. And that's the argument I'm trying to make.

I personally don't have the electronics skill to make a mic from the ground up which is why my AT4050s and Lewitt LCT441 get close enough the the sound I want. But there are people who do have the skill who have made really good clones using Chinese capsules. And yeah, builders are using Chinese capsules now that there are resellers and you don't have to order 100 from the factory anymore. Maiku is one of the ones considered pretty good for a Chinese capsule. There are also the capsules from Microphone-Parts but AFAIK they're similar/indentical to the ones WGTcenter sells which are made by iSK. Peluso's capsules also appear to be similar to Chinese ones, according to measurements from third parties. Some of Warm's mics also use Guosheng's capsules, and they sure sound similar (not identical though) to Neumanns.

I should also point out the reason I don't have a U87 is because I don't do any paid recording (and not because it's out of my budget), and I'd rather not blow my savings on a bunch of Neumann mics if I'm not making enough money to warrant them. For amateur and low budget projects, I think the mics I have would be enough, and I'd grab a good U87 clone before I purchased an actual U87 (though tbh I'd rather get a brass capsule C414).

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 3 days ago at 10:26 AM..
Old 6 days ago
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

Umm no one on groupdiy has a China mic plotting like a Neumann...or a c12...not sure how I missed this topic .,,,,,??!!!???
Even high end capsule makers are reluctant to plot anything, and for a reason...lol especially on Groupdiy.
Once I was set up to plot, I knew why....

Do have a link to this?
Sure would like to see it.

The circuit is pretty easy to get right, the capsule and the transformer are...NOT.
You have this completely backwards from reality...
Sorry but you do, I have been doing this a long time. Let say this again, I have been doing this a long time .....I have tried and came somewhat close with a China backplane, skinned in Denmark, but it was still off, and not very close to a u87...but a good mic for what it is, it is what it is...again the jagged high end of a China capsule can not be fixed with a “proper” u87 filter....not happening...nor was the Neumann circuit ever designed to do this.
Emphasis/deemphasis will not fix a ragged top end.
I played with this, plotted this, have a ton of caps just for this in very small incremental values , thought I was close,
The engineers disagreed, back to the bench...
Bottom line, better capsules and better transformer is what gets close.

No China capsule has made the cut, I have explained why, the circuit had little to do with this..
Number one is the capsule, number two is the transformer....any good mic builder would agree.
Polystyrene caps, and getting the high impedance area correct is a given, as it would be on any high end mic..
The circuit itself is a simple monkey see monkey do...the capsule and the transformer however to get correct, is not cheep, and not easy.
If you use a China capsule, it will plot and sound like a China capsule...it just that simple.
The u87 filter has many limits, it will not cure a bad capsule...I know this to be true from years of trial and error, I no longer use China capsules.

Want a low cost u87, look at the parts in stams u87 clone,
That mic fooled many in blind tests, with a real u87 and a u87ui, you can read about that on this site..
Hiserman capsule and a stower transformer...that is the important parts.... cats out of the bag...

That combo will blow any China capsule mic clear out of the water , I can tell a China capsule right off double blind, and have done so many times, one cymbal hit and I know, also with other engineers.....the capsule problem is not just skin deep, and I know this building and testing, plotting, and three working studios being test grounds...2 of them have all the classic Neumann’s...they have been very helpful to me.


Again enjoy the mics you have. China capsules today are better than 10 years ago, but to say a circuit will fix a capsule it is flat out not correct, I have tried,
Others have as well, China capsule mics fall well short of Neumann, that is not to say you can’t track well with a China capsule mic, or absolutely love it.
But it’s no Neumann.

be realistic about it.
It is what it is....
Enjoy the mics you have, make great music.
But please stop with the “as good or better” than Neumann stuff, it’s over the top man!
A c12 is another issue and one of the most complex capsules made, does not belong here...
More in the high end room. The capsule done right would cost 6,7 times the $100 we are talking about.

Sm57 , best $100 mic you will ever own.

Last edited by chipss36; 6 days ago at 03:05 AM..
Old 6 days ago
  #47
Lives for gear
Chipss36. I would like to hear what you think about Advanced Audio. Yes the caps are from china. However, I know Dave has been training his manufacturing operation for years. He has also been investing in tooling.

Would you group his china made caps with the rest of the china made caps?
Old 6 days ago
  #48
Lives for gear
 

AFAIK the capsules are made to Dave T's specs.
Chris
Old 6 days ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Umm no one on groupdiy has a China mic plotting like a Neumann...or a c12...
If you knew half as much about mics as you act, you'd know it's not all about plots. How does the freaking thing sound? These are microphones and music we're talking about, not math equations and thesis papers. You talk a lot about how you test and you plot. Have you ever actually recorded with various mics?

There is also not your opinion and the wrong one. Stating as much doesn't exactly build your credibility either.

Quote:
Sm57 , best $100 mic you will ever own.
Not to my ears, at least not for vocals...I'll take a Senn 835 any day. The 57 is a great and versatile mic though. To each their own!
Old 6 days ago
  #50
Lives for gear
 

The 3U Audio's and the Advanced Audio's are both reputed to be fine capsules.
My understanding, is that 3U provides them to Warm.
Chris
Old 5 days ago
  #51
I wasn't knocking Peluso FWIW, I'm just pointing out that those capsules are pretty similar to Chinese ones, but they're still pretty well regarded for DIY.

If people don't want to believe that Chinese capsules can make a good clone and get close to the sound of the mics they're based on, that's on them. I'll believe my ears and the measurements that people make which I've seen on GroupDIY (as well as the ones over at Fox Audio Research). Especially when those people also have measurements of the original mics like the U87, KM-184, etc, and have builds using the premium capsules and their measurements of the Chinese capsule builds aren't far off.

Anyway, as far as $100 mic recommendation go, the used Oktava MK-219 and 319 are a great buy assuming you get an authentic Russian one. They're something like $100. It's definitely worth stretching the budget a bit for. They're not new, but they're great sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
The 3U Audio's and the Advanced Audio's are both reputed to be fine capsules.
My understanding, is that 3U provides them to Warm.
Chris
People also seem to like the Microphone-Parts capsules, which are identical to the ones iSK makes (apparently their CK12 style capsule is more like a real K67 than their K67 copy is). And these are exactly the Chinese capsules I'm talking about. 797 Audio makes really good capsules too.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 3 days ago at 10:27 AM..
Old 5 days ago
  #52
Lives for gear
 

FWIW there are no known 219 fakes.

Very few 319's were fakes too, according to expert Michael Joly. A good idea is to either buy a new 319 from Thomann. Or buy a used one online from Guitar Center (45 day return policy). The new model MK-119 may still be available,
with the same 219/319 capsule too.

Both my 219 & 319 are "mid-production" Oktava's, when there was more manufacturing variance in them.
My 219 is a "bright"/clear one/47-ish", the 319 is the "thickest" sounding 319 I've ever encountered-oozing "vintage" (of course I love that!). Fooled some into thinking it's an expensive ribbon.

The early ones, and the current 319's/MK-119, ought to be more consistent than the "Mc Kay" era.

Here's me on that stock/unmodded 319 below, just an informal off the cuff "one take" acapella...
Chris
Attached Files

Song 60oldwaysdie319final.wav (1.57 MB, 298 views)

Old 4 days ago
  #53
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Depending on usage, tough to argue with the SM57.

But for a SDC, the iSK Pearl at 30 bucks, and the iSK Little Gem at $50 are hard to beat. Handling noise is a bit higher than I would prefer, but they sound great, far beyond their small price tags. Very neutral and invisible, offering extremely usable tracks in a wide variety of situations.
Old 4 days ago
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
FWIW there are no known 219 fakes.

Very few 319's were fakes too, according to expert Michael Joly. A good idea is to either buy a new 319 from Thomann. Or buy a used one online from Guitar Center (45 day return policy). The new model MK-119 may still be available,
with the same 219/319 capsule too.

Both my 219 & 319 are "mid-production" Oktava's, when there was more manufacturing variance in them.
My 219 is a "bright"/clear one/47-ish", the 319 is the "thickest" sounding 319 I've ever encountered-oozing "vintage" (of course I love that!). Fooled some into thinking it's an expensive ribbon.

The early ones, and the current 319's/MK-119, ought to be more consistent than the "Mc Kay" era.

Here's me on that stock/unmodded 319 below, just an informal off the cuff "one take" acapella...
Chris
Yeah I really like the stock ones (IMO the necessary part of the mod is filling the body to reduce resonance). I also really like the way the MK-220 sounds. Of course that one is around $400.
Old 4 days ago
  #55
Here for the gear
 

The AKG P3s only costs £25, and lots of reviewers on amazon and sweetwater rate it above the sm58.

There's a shootout here with the sm57:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb4KrHsTNIU

That Fifine K6 sounds pretty good too:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csdrILY2YBo
Old 4 days ago
  #56
This thread has gotten me very curious about the iSK Little Gems and Pearls, for sure! If they're that good and that cheap, that's a no-brainer.

In my personal experience, my official nominations echo the SM57 for dynamic and AT-2020 for condenser. Solid and affordable!
Old 4 days ago
  #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
This thread has gotten me very curious about the iSK Little Gems and Pearls, for sure! If they're that good and that cheap, that's a no-brainer.

In my personal experience, my official nominations echo the SM57 for dynamic and AT-2020 for condenser. Solid and affordable!
You should definitely check them out. The Pearl especially. Little Gem if you also need omni and super cardioid (the super cardioid capsule has pretty good rejection), but I'd always use the Pearl over the Little Gems cardioid capsules, unless I need extra cardioid mics. You'll see the LyxPro and Neewer versions of the Little Gem online, but I'd go with the real iSK ones, because it's almost the same price for the rebrands as it is for 2 Little Gems.

I'd open the mics up and check for excess flux if you get them. One of my Little Gems had quite a bit, and the other was clean as a whistle. The leftover flux didn't affect the mic in any way but I still gave the PCB a quick scrub with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 4 days ago at 08:28 AM..
Old 4 days ago
  #58
Lives for gear
 
norfolk martin's Avatar
 

Just ordered a pair of pearls for fun. $75 with shipping.
Old 3 days ago
  #59
Gear Maniac
 
kite's Avatar
Shure SM57
Old 3 days ago
  #60
The ISK guy sent me a free Pearl a couple years ago I think it was. He asked me to try it out and give my honest opinion. It's a fantastic mic! Beats every other mic I have for acoustic guitar every time.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump