The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best low budget peice of gear in your studio? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 9th January 2018
Here for the gear

I bought 2 rolling clothing hangers at Aldi for $25 each and used rope to hang DIY sound absorbers that I made by glueing Roxul to plywood and wrapping it in burlap. I then draped moving blankets over them and they are great mobile gobos!

After owning a few pretty good mics, I become more and more impressed by my CAD M179 every time I use anything else. I’m sure many people will think I’m crazy for saying this, but I think it is definitely in the league of my AKG C414 B-ULS. I’ve seen the M179 used for $79 at Guitar Center.
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Maniac

I like the look of the new knobs.

If I may ask, what transformers did you use? The "official" OT-1 transformers are rather pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PereGrinoz View Post
I just did the mod, here the thread with files and pics
Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)

comment please!!
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldPowerLabs View Post
I like the look of the new knobs.

If I may ask, what transformers did you use? The "official" OT-1 transformers are rather pricey.

Not if you get hold of a second hand DI 4000 pro that berhinger do, they have 4 of them though they are not the easiest to get out. The pcb board is so tight around the pins it took me a while to get them free.
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilguitar18 View Post
I bought 2 rolling clothing hangers at Aldi for $25 each and used rope to hang DIY sound absorbers that I made by glueing Roxul to plywood and wrapping it in burlap. I then draped moving blankets over them and they are great mobile gobos!

After owning a few pretty good mics, I become more and more impressed by my CAD M179 every time I use anything else. I’m sure many people will think I’m crazy for saying this, but I think it is definitely in the league of my AKG C414 B-ULS. I’ve seen the M179 used for $79 at Guitar Center.
CAD makes some good stuff. I still use the first generation CAD E-100 I got back in college all the time.
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Head
GLS Audio Instrument Microphone ES-57
Behringer UMC1820
Symetrix CL-100 Compressor
Mofo Rizers

A closet hanging shoe storage thing for all your chords, patch cables, pedals, random s***. Saw that on Produce like a Pro on youtube and it helped me so much in keeping things organized.
Old 14th January 2018
MCM Electronics, my friend. I replaced my Galaxy Hot Spot speakers with better speakers from them - and cheaper too. Check 'em out and save your speakers!
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Head
Shure SM57
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOQuantity View Post
CAD makes some good stuff. I still use the first generation CAD E-100 I got back in college all the time.
Love my e100s. So quiet! SOOOO quiet!

I have two "best" low budget pieces of gear.

One is a $300 ibanez. I'm a lefty, and they don't make many left handed s series guitars. This was an older, cheap, black model. The previous owner had it custom painted big bird yellow. Then I bought it, stripped everything out of it, and upgraded the trem, the pots, caps, shielding, replaced the jack, etc... and did a full soup to nuts setup on it. Absolutely my go-to guitar.

My second is actual recording gear: My lsr305 monitors. They made a gigantic difference in my mixes. I was mixing on overly hyped, inaccurate monitors for so long I had no idea why my mixes were not translating. I bought these 305's on a lark, because it was only $200. I couldn't believe the amount of mid-range detail I've been missing. I'm so impressed with these monitors, I was expecting something decent because of the great reviews, but I didn't expect them to make a more dramatic change to my mixes than anything else in my chain.
Old 17th January 2018
Here for the gear

Diy GOBOs! Came out to $20 each at the end of the day. Nothing like being closer to hearing exactly what you need to.
Old 17th January 2018
Here for the gear

ADA8000, quick cheap and easy 8 channel ADAT extra....I use for drums and any high SPL recordings
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Love my e100s. So quiet! SOOOO quiet!

I have two "best" low budget pieces of gear.

One is a $300 ibanez. I'm a lefty, and they don't make many left handed s series guitars. This was an older, cheap, black model. The previous owner had it custom painted big bird yellow. Then I bought it, stripped everything out of it, and upgraded the trem, the pots, caps, shielding, replaced the jack, etc... and did a full soup to nuts setup on it. Absolutely my go-to guitar.

My second is actual recording gear: My lsr305 monitors. They made a gigantic difference in my mixes. I was mixing on overly hyped, inaccurate monitors for so long I had no idea why my mixes were not translating. I bought these 305's on a lark, because it was only $200. I couldn't believe the amount of mid-range detail I've been missing. I'm so impressed with these monitors, I was expecting something decent because of the great reviews, but I didn't expect them to make a more dramatic change to my mixes than anything else in my chain.
Another reaaally good cheap guitar is the old Epiphone Sheraton II's. Theyre like $300-400, and are amazingly good quality for that price. I put in pickups worth probably more than guitar and it was a 100% pro quality player. Stock pickups are pretty nice too actually. Great cheap guitar to have around thats easy to play and easy to record.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggotspawn View Post
Logidy UMI3 MIDI over USB Foot Controller. I use the UMI3 to remotely control the transport in my DAW. In my case Reaper.
Weird, got one in the mail

Going to use it to remotely control the transport in my DAW. In my case Reaper.

$79 MIDI foot controller, looks promising glad to see someone is already using it succesfully!

Amazon.com: Logidy UMI3 MIDI over USB Foot Controller: Musical Instruments
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Weird, got one in the mail

Going to use it to remotely control the transport in my DAW. In my case Reaper.

$79 MIDI foot controller, looks promising glad to see someone is already using it succesfully!

Amazon.com: Logidy UMI3 MIDI over USB Foot Controller: Musical Instruments
It works great. If for some reason it stops working, reset your midi devices from Reaper settings. I have really no complaints with it.
Old 2 weeks ago
My new fav is a heap Kalimba thumb piano I got for $40 that has a preamp in it! I can tap the back of it while it’s going through a space echo and create a swelling percussive thing it’s so rad. I also found a crappy old dbx eq that surprises me, and an old Dolby 361 I forgot I had. That thing is really cool on vocals, gives them a compressed warm vibe and I think I got it for like $100 back in the day.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

At the moment I'm digging the very affordable TC Electronic guitar pedals. Particularly the Nether Octaver
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
1. Hands down, the best $10 dollar investment I made was getting beverage-holders for my mic stands, and a $25 drink holder that clamps to a hit hat stand. Saved me only about $20 of spilled beer over the years, but hundreds in fried electronics. (I learned this lesson after spending an hour drying the circuit board of a 60's organ with canned air)

2. $15 of canned air. See above.

3. $30 acoustic blanket from Amazon for my wall, behind the drums. Wow, talk about an improvement in reflections! Basically, its a glorified packing blanket with the grommets already installed. (Diy grommet kits suck on blankets)

4. An adjustable tripod laptop stand (about $40 new) that I use for everything but laptops, it is an extremely handy extra surface, I've even used it as an emergency speaker stand.

5. A plastic, over-the-door-shoe holder ($10). An easy way to keep valuables from rolling off a table, it's pouches are the perfect size for dynamic mics and guitar pedals. I screwed it directly to my basement wall. Get the see-through kind so you don't need to label the pouches.

Honorable mention: $3 worth of cotton balls. Throw a handful in inside your toms, and they jump up during the attack, and then settle at the bottom, cutting the sustain to preference (takes some experimentation to dial in).

Love cheap stuff that works, fun thread.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Shaving brush to clean keyboards and mixers......
Old 1 week ago
DIY Scribble strip
Borrow a Kroy labeller, install tape with white background. I used 1" width. Run out the desired length and stick it on your mixer or whatever.

Mark it up with Sharpie pens, it won't smear once dry.
Erase with an alcohol wet wipe or a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Behringer V-Verb is the current champion and the old Tascam 424 MKI portastudio is perpetual honorable mention.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Drawmer DL241. I'd happily have another dozen in my rack.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

1. Axoloti (used as MIDI processor, arpeggiator & simple sample player) — €65
2. Axoloti (used as MIDI processor, arpeggiator & metronome) — €65
3. second hand Arturia Beatstep — got it for $78
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
MJUC - 29,-
sknote Disto - 39,-
sknote SDC - 29,-
TB Reelbus - 10,-
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Oh yeah, Axoloti, MidiPAL, MidiGAL I guess all belong here too although I've neglected the Axoloti a lot.

And grey DMG gameboy. $2 for the Gameboy, $10 for a USB RAM cart, $12 for a backlight kit, $5 for Littlesound DJ. pretty good value.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I got an Allen and Heath Zed 6fx for close to $100, can't remember. It's been amazing for me as a keyboard mixer running signals to my audio interface or sampler as well as my Roland keyboard amp, all with great effects! Very helpful and inspiring.

TC Electronic Ditto Mic Looper has also been great with voice, acoustic guitar and my upright bass.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMOQuantity View Post
Oh yeah, Axoloti, MidiPAL, MidiGAL I guess all belong here too although I've neglected the Axoloti a lot.

And grey DMG gameboy. $2 for the Gameboy, $10 for a USB RAM cart, $12 for a backlight kit, $5 for Littlesound DJ. pretty good value.
NONE of any of what you just mentioned I had ever heard of and poof there went my entire afternoon lol - Thanks man!!!!!!!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

My Behringer BC100 Beat Counter.

Apart from that, the SMSL IDEA headphone amp/DAC. Works with ASIO (or ASIO works with this). Clean, small, works on all of my computers (Windows or Linux).
Old 4 days ago
I do like my Klark Teknik trinkets...76, 2A and Pulltec style dead-ringer EQ...

*Claim of dead-ringerness may or may not be accurate

Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Behringer Control2 ... at $130 it's a little outside the OP's $100's criteria, but still killer for what it does.

Under $100?.... AirWindows plugins. Use at least one of them on every mix. Completely free, unless you want AU versions, or support the dev via Patreon (recommended).
Old 3 days ago
MCA SP-1 mics. I have 15 of those I bought in 2001 for $39 each. Each has a great capsule fitted and new electronics like I designed for Mic-Parts.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

My pair of Oktava MK101, bought in 2005 for around 350€ the pair, DIY upgraded with better caps and headbasked mod like Michael Joly did. Wonderful mics.

Another mod: Apex 205 with lundahl transformer and headbasket mod. Insanely good ribbon mic, especially for grand piano.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search