The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Music teacher needs 76-key keyboard, amp, mic Mobile Accessories
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Music teacher needs 76-key keyboard, amp, mic

I'm doing some research for a student of mine. I'm pretty tech saavy so I can understand most details you may want to present to me.

He is a voice teacher. He wants to get a 76 key digital piano, hopefully a fairly light portable one, so he can play chords and things for his voice students. He also wants a way to record his students and present them with the sound file, and maybe play it for them in the session.

So I'm looking for gear advice. He is cost sensitive and I hope the whole thing can come out under $400 or 500.

First he will need a 76-key digital piano.

Second, he needs a way to record his students. He already has an iPad and an iRig mic for it, so that might be good enough. He might need a way to mount or prop up the iPad so that the iRig mic is away from nearby surfaces. He owns the iPad app "Multi-Track DAW" (that's a pretty generic name, but it's actually a specific app, as I'm sure most of you know).

He wants to play the recording for his students. I don't think he'll be happy with the iPad speakers, so my thought is that he should get a small powered speaker or guitar amp.

Many keyboards come with speakers, but they aren't necessarily any good. My thought is that if he has the powered speaker, then he can use it for the piano sound as well as to play back student recordings.

On the other hand, maybe it would simplify things to get a keyboard with a speaker, and maybe that speaker can take an external input from his iPad for playing back recordings of his students.

Any thoughts welcome.

Mike
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm not trying to pimp any one store as IMO none stand out from the rest generally, but this I think gives you a good cross-section of what's generally available these days: https://www.sweetwater.com/c505--Dig...ianos/low2high . It sounds like his needs are so basic and the tech so good now that even the lower-end ones would be more than sufficient (although I suspect at least a few will come on here insisting he "needs" a pricier this or that ). Any reason he's dead-set on 76 keys? i.e. wouldn't consider 61 or 88 for that matter? Also what if any other features does he care about...weighted keys or not, etc etc...like is he going to really "play" this at all or just hit a few chords/notes here and there for instructional purposes? Note some of them do have built-in recorders (why all keyboards don't have them in this day and age I'll never know), but not all, so take into account.

I can't speak to if his iWhatever setup(s) will be good enough recording/speaker-wise for certain, but somehow I doubt it, not just from a quality but a volume standpoint. Some of the built-in speakers on keyboards today aren't bad, but again that is a very subjective term and viewpoint and that also depends on other factors not mentioned (where will they be listened to, like the classroom? How big of a room? etc) If he can stretch the budget a little, keyboards really start to get better right at about the $500 mark, FYI. The Casio Privias for ex are highly regarded and have a built-in recorder. Pretty much all will have an easy way to save off what he records. Honestly he should get to the nearest music store and at least try out a few.

Edit: oops. The mic thing. I really don't think you'll get something worthwhile from any "mobile device" that way, even having modest expectations. I think many have a USB port you could use and get a USB mic, of which there are various respectable ones available.
Old 4 days ago
For a keyboard the yamaha np32 looks nice and portable. I am not sure but I believe he can get audio in/out of the ipad with the lighting adapter. (link below)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoC_dMQAvD_BwE

As for sharing lessons I would use garageband on the ipad and share the recorded lessons by exporting them to soundcloud or mail.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search