The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can a mic be fed into an Avalon U5. I know it is basically for HiZ instrument feeds ? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can a mic be fed into an Avalon U5. I know it is basically for HiZ instrument feeds ?

Can a mic be fed into an Avalon U5. I know it is basically for HiZ instrument feeds ?

View best answer View most liked answer
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What happens when you try?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well it depends on the microphone i guess. Condensers need phantom power and dynamics and ribbons do not.

Do you have a better answer?
Marked as best answer Share Quote
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I purchased this in error .I wanted a n m5 for Vocal recordings.Now that I have it, I need a little advice as to how to best use it for inputting a vocal signal through a condensor/Ribbon mic. If one were to use an outboard 48V phantom power supply(i don't thing U5 has phantom capability),there still is the problem of limited gain and Impedence.
Any suggestions Please ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need a little advice as to how to best use it for inputting a vocal signal through a condensor/Ribbon mic. If one were to use an outboard 48V phantom power supply
I would not run phantom power into Avalon DI. Use it for a DI, because it is a DI box, a very good one at that
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Well it depends on the microphone i guess. Condensers need phantom power and dynamics and ribbons do not.
I used one with an SM7B and it worked great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used one with an SM7B and it worked great.
Like I said, Dynamic microphones do not need phantom power, so it works as it was intended to do.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Like I said, Dynamic microphones do not need phantom power, so it works as it was intended to do.
yup. I was just reinforcing your point (and answering the OP with a successful experience).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR PS JOSHI View Post
I purchased this in error .I wanted a n m5 for Vocal recordings.Now that I have it, I need a little advice as to how to best use it for inputting a vocal signal through a condensor/Ribbon mic. If one were to use an outboard 48V phantom power supply(i don't thing U5 has phantom capability),there still is the problem of limited gain and Impedence.
Any suggestions Please ?
it's the wrong box for the job.

you write in the low end forum after buying a U5. hmm.

i do recommend to experiment with all sorts of no-textbook/guerillia engineering, don't get me wrong.
but let's be honest, in buying a U5 you where not aiming for a low end/quirky solution for a very common task where many great options are on the market.
so get yourself what you where looking for.

the U5 is great di. in some cases it could save your ass as a preamp in the heat of the battle. e.g. when you have a 9 piece band in and your 3rd conga channel goes up in smoke on the board...

but as your main and only preamp, your featured part of the next 50 songs you don't want to start off building around such solution.
get yourself a solid pre that has phantom power
my 2 c
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

seedee701

You are absolutely correct,It would be the easiest option to go buy a M5 !
The reason I raised this problem in this forum is the hope that those of us who do not have unlimited funds and creat a silly situation for themselves-i could find helpfgul knowledgeable advice here because there may be some who are interested in wrestling with a solution for this situation.

One problem will be limited gain? as i understand di inputs are much higher level and the gain provided here is about 35 db. A cloudlifter may help but will require a Phandom power source which again is not included inU5 i guess.

The other obstacle is the very high input impedence.

Any thoughts as to how could we acheive a theoretical solution ?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR PS JOSHI View Post
seedee701

You are absolutely correct,It would be the easiest option to go buy a M5 !
The reason I raised this problem in this forum is the hope that those of us who do not have unlimited funds and creat a silly situation for themselves-i could find helpfgul knowledgeable advice here because there may be some who are interested in wrestling with a solution for this situation.

One problem will be limited gain? as i understand di inputs are much higher level and the gain provided here is about 35 db. A cloudlifter may help but will require a Phandom power source which again is not included inU5 i guess.

The other obstacle is the very high input impedence.

Any thoughts as to how could we acheive a theoretical solution ?
For a dynamic mic (such as SM7b), using an adapter like this:
Audio-Technica CP8201 In-Line Transformer | Musician's Friend
works. I happily used a similar configuration for many years w/ the avalon. (it's a great band-aid solution if you have limited number of mic pre inputs for your other condensers.) you will need to turn the gain up a lot, but avalons are nice and clean. don't use it with condensers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can run a dynamic or a condenser with an outboard phantom supply, but while it may provide enough useable gain, it will not sound like an M5! If you want the sound of an M5, you need an M5!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Why not return it or sell it?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
You can run a dynamic or a condenser with an outboard phantom supply, but while it may provide enough useable gain, it will not sound like an M5! If you want the sound of an M5, you need an M5!
For a dynamic mic (such as SM7b), using an adapter like this:
Audio-Technica CP8201 In-Line Transformer | Musician's Friend
works. I happily used a similar configuration for many years w/ the avalon. (it's a great band-aid solution if you have limited number of mic pre inputs for your other condensers.) you will need to turn the gain up a lot, but avalons are nice and clean. don't use it with condensers.

Excellent suggestion ! Thank you for that.

One option I am considering is to put up a small mic pre upstream-like a Sound Devices MP1. (There are cheaper alternatives like Rolls but may colour the signal before it reaches the U5).This should solve the gain and impedence problems but is quite expensive! I have an old Symetrics 202 liying around and wondered if that will give a clean enough signal to be fed into U5?

I quite see the point of selling it if a reasonably cost effective solution is not available with all your help !
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search