The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Builting a DIY vocal booth, some quick questions.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Builting a DIY vocal booth, some quick questions.

Hey, can I theortically just buy a large plastic tube, superglue airconditioning thick ventilation foam all inside of it, then place a mic in the middle of that thing, put it on a table, then I have the singer stand up close to the mic in the box, with a coathanger and clothe draped behind? Would that work for dry recordings lols
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Try it. Let us know how you get on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Cylinders are one of the worst recording environments, let alone a close cylinder with poor low mid range absorption.

But yes. Go ahead and see.
Old 1 week ago
I would think that a reflection filter behind the mic and a thick blanket behind the singer would be a better option
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Never seen the point. If you're using a mic with (say) a cardioid pattern, then surely pickup at the rear of the mic is (a) well down on the direct sound and (b) predominantly lower frequencies? i.e. precisely those which a (relatively lightweight) reflection filter isn't going to do much about. I can see the argument for having some decent absorption behind a vocalist - where the mic's pointing, or to the sides / above. Hang up a duvet. When you're not using it for recording you can sleep under it.

Last edited by JonnieK; 1 week ago at 11:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 6 days ago
No I don't think I'd recommend that, haha. I think OP was joking (?)

But... devil's advocate... I have heard of metal-type bands doing something similar, with like a large cardboard tube or paper towel roll and growl/sing into one end and it's mic'd up on the other end... Wouldn't dare try that on a condenser because of the SPL's but if you have a least-favorite dynamic you absolutely hate it might be worth it for the next death metal act that walks in the door.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I wasn't actually joking lol, there was a tutorial to build one somewhere along time ago, I never got into vocals yet so I thought or trying it but wanted to ask first.

I want to build something for my condenser mic, that will block the airconditioner/cars here and gives a almost fully dry recording so I can add my own reverb and stuff without my room effecting the sound

am I suppose to use plugins to take out the noise/room echo?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by HREQ View Post
I wasn't actually joking lol, there was a tutorial to build one somewhere along time ago, I never got into vocals yet so I thought or trying it but wanted to ask first.

I want to build something for my condenser mic, that will block the airconditioner/cars here and gives a almost fully dry recording so I can add my own reverb and stuff without my room effecting the sound

am I suppose to use plugins to take out the noise/room echo?
There is no "room treatment" that will eliminate ambient sounds like air conditioners or cars. You need construction for that. You would need a "room inside a room." to achieve that.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

http://www.instructables.com/id/Supe...ng-Studio-on-/

That's why I was thinking of doing this? But I was wondering if there would be any issues for something like that? recording in such a small space like that?

I place that box facing the airconditioner noise (coming from hallway) with my door shut, and a blanket under my door.

Then I place a duvet cover over a coathanger against my outside window

I thought that would make it good enough to record multi takes and not have ambient stuff here.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
But I was wondering if there would be any issues for something like that? recording in such a small space like that?
I suspect it'll sound exactly like singing into a bucket.

If you've got noise coming into the room through openings (window, door) - particularly if it's low frequency noise - the best move is to put some mass in the way. Either by tightly covering the openings (with something heavy), or by constructing some kind of room in a room (like Bender412 said).

Either way, it's going to cost you money (or/and time).

That said, if your talent is close up to the mic, and if they're loud, you might find the ambient noise is less of a problem than you think. Depends on genre perhaps.

Alternatively, you could book a bit of time in an actual studio.

[Added] I listened to the recording attached to the instructables thing. The "with-booth" recording did indeed have relatively less room sound (I don't mean background noise, which wasn't reduced much at all) and was a lot warmer. However, it was also a fair bit louder (4 or 5 dB) - I suspect the distance wasn't matched, or the performance was stronger.

Last edited by JonnieK; 5 days ago at 12:57 PM.. Reason: ... I listened ...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I would get a dynamic mic first. I wouldn't even try to use a condenser in a crappy room. Look into dynamic Mics. Beyer m88 would be my pic. Sm57 if u broke.

I can get great result with nothing more than a sm57 some gobos placed around the singer and one overhead. I used oc 703. Look into oc 703.

Seriously, with a Scarlett interface, cheap Dbx channel strip, sm57, some oc 703 gobos a little practice u can get great recordings. All that is cheap probably less than 400$ if u get some stuff used.
Old 5 days ago
Yeah an EV RE20 is probably what I'd recommend for "condenser-esque" sound but not so much problematic room noise.

If it's literally just an AC unit, you can turn it on/off? Or you could get one of the relatively inexpensive $350 3U Audio Warbler mics that comes with 3-polar patterns, and use Figure 8 polar pattern pointing the null at the AC unit. I found the null on the Fig 8 rejects a problem area (in my case computer fan noise...) even better than cardioid but YMMV.

Learn to use the nulls. Also yes I think gobos made of OC703 is a good idea as well. Be aware it's commercial fiber glass, but they're one of the standards used for good absorption. I used Roxul brand rockwool to make dozens of absorbers aka bass traps. Works far better than blankets and foam-type products like Auralex.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Super Simple D.I.Y. Desktop Vocal Recording Booth on the Cheap: 6 Steps

That's why I was thinking of doing this? But I was wondering if there would be any issues for something like that? recording in such a small space like that?

I place that box facing the airconditioner noise (coming from hallway) with my door shut, and a blanket under my door.

Then I place a duvet cover over a coathanger against my outside window

I thought that would make it good enough to record multi takes and not have ambient stuff here.
If you`re comfortable singing that way. It`s hard to "get your groove on" when you`re singing into a box, I would guess. We do our vocals in a treated open area where the singer can move, sway, etc. It helps. Not totally relevant(or irrelevant), I was listening to a "vocals only" track of Michael Jackson singing "Billie Jean". He would, without real rhyme or reason, start snapping his fingers and moving during certain parts. Normally, "hey! stopit!" but you can`t hear it on the cut, and it probably helped him. Just my 2 cents(how do you make a cents sign?)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

@Joseblanco

yeah I just bought the AT2020, but, I'm having troubles getting good recordings, I use a steinberg UR12. How about a SM87? It's a condenser but I heard it blocks sound just like SM57 but has that little bit of sparkle a condenser is suppose to give recordings, from what I heard on the internet. I'll probably return at2020 to amazon and get a dynamic like u said, or a condenser like that other shure if it indeed does block sounds

turning airconditioner off is a not an option here lol
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
@Joseblanco

yeah I just bought the AT2020, but, I'm having troubles getting good recordings, I use a steinberg UR12. How about a SM87? It's a condenser but I heard it blocks sound just like SM57 but has that little bit of sparkle a condenser is suppose to give recordings, from what I heard on the internet. I'll probably return at2020 to amazon and get a dynamic like u said, or a condenser like that other shure if it indeed does block sounds

Well I am actually a big fan of the Shure SM87 and SM87A (sonically identical, the A is the newer refresh). Not to be confused with the Beta 87 which is good too, but more zingy and cutting for live. I only ever used the Beta's in wireless systems for what it’s worth.

Because it’s a hand-held style condenser, it’s sort of intended to get right up on it within a couple inches. So that aspect will help to minimize room to some degree but it’s still pretty sensitive. It’s super-cardioid so point that null at the AC or fan.

The SM87 is a good poor-man's KSM9 in my opinion for a live/hand-held style condenser mic. I own both and have multiples of the SM87. I don’t mind taking the SM87’s out, as they’re the same or cheaper than Beta 58’s for example.

If you’re shopping, you can snag them used/open-box for $100-150 which is a excellent deal in my opinion. That’s even cheaper than a Shure SM7 dynamic, or EV RE20 which I would recommend both without hesitation. Those are really tried and true dynamics that work great with vocals and will probably stay in your mic locker forever so do some research there also.

The SM87 and SM87A are interchangeable, but if you have a choice, the SM87A is the newer one, and has a thicker handle that fits more mic clips. The SM87A is black, the older SM87 is grey. I have both, use them interchangeably. Also the SM86 is similar but a different voicing.

In practice and in a mix (I use these primarily in live situations but there’s no reason they can’t be used in the studio) I find the SM87’s sound surprisingly similar to the $700 Shure KSM9. The KSM9 has a larger diaphragm, a little more tucked in sound around the edges, and has perhaps a bit more natural voicing but still very crisp. The SM87 has similar ballpark detail and smoothness, and a bit more pre-EQ'd sound with a bit of a high lift. Overall surprisingly in the same ballpark, and very smooth, detailed, and useable.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Where has this idea that dynamic microphone somehow reject background noise (relative to condensers) come from? How exactly is the microphone, when it sees an air molecule wiggle a bit, supposed to know that this is part of the sound we want and not noise from the air con?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

@bowzin Thanks! I am finding prices just like you said for the used gear, they retail for 240$ though! lol

SM87 and Beta 87, Is there a big difference sonically between them? Also, is "cardoid" pattern, or "super cardoid" pattern better? I'll be placing it on a mic stand, and face the back/sides to the door where airconditioner is outside of, also with a shield around the back and sides from sE Electronics on the stand there, then i'll place a coathanger with a duvet cover behind the singer, and I think that should get me pretty good recordings for an amateur lol
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I took 4X8 cheap plywood, cut in half long long ways to 2X8 and hinged each piece back together, and covered in foam. I used 3 pieces of wood. You can cut down to your desired ceiling height.This allows me to shape a ''booth'' in different configurations. Talk about low end!! lol But it works well and good for acoustic guitar too. Good for one guy to sit and track acoustic with mics. I put a battery powered Light in by attaching velcro to the light and it sticks to the foam so it can be placed anywhere. Best part is that they fold out flat and can be stacked against a wall when not in use, taking up minimal space. And I'm another one who can't get around tracking vocals with the AC on. Home recording curse I guess.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because? You can't live without it off for a short time while you record?

The answer is most likely not a better mic (though of course that can help some). It's not like the AT2020 is a $6.95 karoke mic. You're not likely to get much better results spending a lot more on a diff one. You need to improve the room conditions.

Quote:
Also, is "cardoid" pattern, or "super cardoid" pattern better?
Cardioid rejects better from the rear than supers - supers reject better from the side. Which is generally better depends on your room specifics and what treatments you have.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
This thread has wandered all over the place.
You can try your “vocal box” idea very cheaply. I built one from a large plastic storage bin and unused pieces of Auralex foam years ago, before I saw the reflexion filter. It did block a lot of the room ambience I didn’t like, but it did something odd with the sound of the desired signal. After a few uses I retired it to a storage locker where it has lived many dark and dusty years. I later bought a reflexion filter, which was better than my homemade bin, but not much better. It has also lived in the dark for several years.
My advice is that blocking boxes and recording closets may eliminate a lot of the noise you don’t want, but the noise-free vocal won’t sound great or natural. It isn’t a solution you will want to live with for very long. You have to get in a good-sounding reasonably-sized space to really sound good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search