The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fostex 6301
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Head

Fostex 6301

Hey all,

I bought a pair of Fostex 6301s after hearing they're a great 'grotbox' and, after only a couple of short tests I guess I am finding they 'holding a magnifying glass up to my mid-range' but I'm also hearing more presence and hi than anything else…

They have a painfully pokey 5-7k. I actually have to have them quite a bit quieter than my full-range monitors (I've got Genelec 8040s) in order to use them without braining my poor lugs.

They're also pretty distorted (there's no such thing a sine tone on these) and the stereo image seems extremely exaggerated. I actually thought one side was somehow inverted at first.

It might just be a case of getting used to them but I'm just here to ask… is this normal or have I bought a ruined pair?

Thanks!
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

never used them, but if you bought something described as a "grot box", you should not be 'worried' if they sound grotty.

Such things are used for 'checking' your mix. Maybe yours are 'broken', but maybe like you said, you are just paying too much attention to them because they are new.

I have a pair of Auratones - often called "Horrortones" for that similar kind of sound. They are very useful for checking certain things. But once I have checked, I go back to my real monitors. On average, I have them "on" for a grand total of about 2 minutes per hour of mixing.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillbard View Post
Hey all,

I bought a pair of Fostex 6301s after hearing they're a great 'grotbox' and...
Nothing "grotty" about those if they're in good shape. They have no low end to speak of -- how could they -- but they've got good fullrange drivers and decent amps.

They play loud because they're super-efficient, and they're super-efficient because they don't have crossovers. If they're breaking up, there's something wrong. Hard to say what.

And if the stereo image seems "extremely exaggerated," you might be running them out of phase.
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Head

Thanks for the note, guys.

Any comment on the peak at 6/7k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
if the stereo image seems "extremely exaggerated," you might be running them out of phase.
Ah yeah, this is what I meant by "inverted" but when I check in mono it seems like they're fine.
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillbard View Post
Thanks for the note, guys.

Any comment on the peak at 6/7k?

Ah yeah, this is what I meant by "inverted" but when I check in mono it seems like they're fine.
Only other thing I can add is that if they're the original 6301's (no letter on the end), they're around 30 years old. No telling what could have happened to them in that amount of time.
Old 10th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Only other thing I can add is that if they're the original 6301's (no letter on the end), they're around 30 years old. No telling what could have happened to them in that amount of time.
yup it's the old'uns. maybe i should get them repaired?
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Maniac

I realize I am too late posting this, but maybe someone else will have the same issue with these monitors some time in the future ...

I bought two used pairs of Fostex 6301B on auction platforms within the last two years and both were very distorted in the low end, just like the OP describes. They were both "made in Japan", so probably around 20 years old. When I was testing the first pair I was absolutely sure they were broken and sent them back. But when the second pair had the same issue, I wasn't entirely sure anymore. But then I tested them against a pair at a friend's place and his speakers were clean in the low end. So I sent the second pair back to the seller too.

To make a long story short: I believe that the old Fostex 6301 are pretty prone to having their speakers blown, which results in low frequency distortion. Maybe it's a kind of damage that comes with age or maybe the previous owners just cranked them up too loud.
Old 10th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudaben View Post
I realize I am too late posting this, but maybe someone else will have the same issue with these monitors some time in the future ...

To make a long story short: I believe that the old Fostex 6301 are pretty prone to having their speakers blown, which results in low frequency distortion. Maybe it's a kind of damage that comes with age or maybe the previous owners just cranked them up too loud.
Here I go reviving this old thread again

I have a single one at home that exhibits distortion and very little low end. However I know these from my studio days, and recently bought a pair for my work venue. They are great, playing (as has been mentioned above) loud and clean if they're in good shape. And they go down to at least 100Hz

The reason I'm here is to ask if anyone's found replacement drivers other than the $50 ones at Full Compass? I love FC, but I paid less than that for my little 6301B.

Cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search