The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM7B, Cloudlifter and xxx USB interface? Voiceover/Broadcasting on Twitch and beyond. Dynamic Microphones
Old 31st August 2017
Here for the gear

SM7B, Cloudlifter and xxx USB interface? Voiceover/Broadcasting on Twitch and beyond.

Hi everyone!

I hope I'm not stepping in it by posting this here, as I think that my setup and motive is a bit different than most. Let me quickly explain what I'm doing and what I have:

I broadcast on Twitch, and have the aim to do voice over or podcasting in the future. I'm looking for a "permanent but modular" solution that keeps it simple. I need to put my voice into my computer at the highest quality that keeps me out of the poor house. My current set up is this:

AT2020USB+ -> Primary Computer -> Adobe Audition (Automatic noise reduction, dehummer, EQ, Compression) -> HDMI Out to stream PC -> Internet.

The environment is not ideal as I have all equipment in a room running as quietly as possible, but the environment is treated relatively poorly with foam only on the wall I'm facing when speaking. I understand that this is a limitation, but in my apartment I don't have the ability to enclose the space properly. Reflections are a thing, and noise can be too (outside noise to an extent but is controllable, the odd dog bark). So "perfect recording environment" will have to wait until we get our new house.

I'm looking to upgrade to my "forever" set up, but I recognize what I need to do is fairly simple and thusly don't want to go crazy for the super best high end stuff.

Through my research and reading these forums (I under stand that Michael Jackson... *muffled gunshot*) I have determined the following:

I want an SM7B + Cloudlifter CL-1. Now I need to pair it with something like a USB interface. I need something quiet, as I want the input to be as clean as possible considering other factors related to the recording environment.

And now the questions:

- What is the ideal pairing for the SM7B + CL-1 for a USB interface.
- Is Audition the best software to use, and if not is there another alternative that will allow me to output to a specific device on my computer so I can get the sound to the other PC? Latency and quality are important here.

I've considered a mixing board, but I think that may be overly complicated for what I am using currently that is fairly effective and easy to manage (Voicemeeter Banana + Audition + Capture card).

Any resources you can recommend would be SUPER helpful, and I appreciate whatever insight you can provide. This is my first post here, so if I've done a poor job with research to this point please... be gentle. Thank you!
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear
In fact, almost any good one or two channel USB interface will work well with your setup. The Cloudlifter does the necessary boost to get adequate level with any interface I can think of. I favor Steinberg interfaces, but they force you through registration and licensing hoops.
If I were you, I'd look at interfaces on the Sweetwater website and pick what you think would be "ideal." There isn't a great deal of mojo added with an interface, so I'd pick a brand and price you are comfortable with. On the low-priced end, the new Behringer interfaces get consistently good reviews. For more "snob factor" you might look at Audient or go all the way up to the most expensive brands. I think in any case 99% of what you hear will be the SM7b and the relatively high impedance of the Cloudlifter. I have that combo, and if you get right in on it (possibly with the low cut in), you can get a taste of that "voice of God" announcer thing.

Last edited by Bushman; 31st August 2017 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: Missing word
Old 3rd September 2017
Lives for gear

There is nothing "snob factor" about audient interfaces. They are a good product sold at a very reasonable price. And you won't need a cloud lifter with them.

I would stay away from the sm7-b + cloud lifter and go with the classic sound of vocal broadcasting - the EV RE-20. It sounds SO MUCH BETTER.
Old 3rd September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfmoses View Post
The environment is not ideal as I have all equipment in a room running as quietly as possible, but the environment is treated relatively poorly with foam only on the wall I'm facing when speaking.
I mix a fairly elaborate internet radio show. When I first encountered these clients, it was the three of them hunkered around a Blue Yeti USB mic into a laptop in an untreated bedroom. Sounded awful.

The first time they came into my studio to do it, all they did was bring their Yeti and laptop into my well-treated live room, designed for spoken word and quite dead. An absolute world of difference.

Now, everyone gets their own mic and a nice signal chain and all, but the basic sound of the thing isn't all that different from when they just had the one USB mic. My point being, the room is the whole ballgame. Don't worry too much about outside noise and fans, just concentrate on killing the reflections.
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
There is nothing "snob factor" about audient interfaces. They are a good product sold at a very reasonable price. And you won't need a cloud lifter with them.
I run an SM7B through an Audient ID22 and I need a Cloudlifter to get a good strong signal with that audio chain.
Old 4th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post

I would stay away from the sm7-b + cloud lifter and go with the classic sound of vocal broadcasting - the EV RE-20. It sounds SO MUCH BETTER.
I didn't mean that the Audient didn't deserve whatever "snob factor" reputation it may have. It wasn't intended as an insult. I do think that there isn't a huge difference in the sound of most interface preamps compared to the sometimes dramatic differences between outboard interfaces. That's especially true with a Cloudlifter between the mic and preamp.
Old 6th September 2017
Here for the gear
Maybe you don't need the cloudfilter. Using a decent interface you can have enough gain and then you can add more gain and apply some process in your DAW. Almost software have tools to get "good quality" of sound. So, if you know how to use Audition it´s a good choice. Its my opinion, I have a sm7b and it works perfect with my RME UCX.
Regards!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search