The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! AT-2020 Microphone not working.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Help! AT-2020 Microphone not working.

Good Afternoon, everyone.

I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong thread, I am very new to this site. I was searching for help because I have an AT-2020 Microphone that I had attempted to sell for months now, and got nowhere, so now I wish to use it, but the issue is, there is a very loud static noise that is covering my voice. I could hear my voice, very quietly.

I thought perhaps it was the computer, perhaps somehow my surroundings were making a lot of noise (although I doubted it) so I tested it with another microphone I have, the Neewer NW-700, which worked perfectly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is the microphone broken? Thank you very much.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If you used the same cable with the other mic and the other mic worked, yes you have narrowed it down to a problem with the microphone. It could be connector problems or circuitry problems. Since the 2020 is not an expensive mic, it may not be worth repairing, but I'd contact AT and see what they say.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It could be moisture/dampness on the capsule either from where it was stored or if it was bought out into a humid environment. Place the mic in a plastic ziplock bag with some desiccant packs for a day or so and see if that helps.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Alright, thank you all very much for answering so quickly! I appreciate the assistance and will definitely attempt the Ziplock fix. One last question, not microphone related, do I have to close the thread for completion? Either way whether the Ziplock fix works or not, I'll be closing it so I thought I'd do it right away and follow the rules of most threads! Thank you all once more.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Threads have a life of their own on GS, and often get comments years after the OP is done with the original Q and A. Please make one more post to let us know if the Ziplock fix works. Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEuphoric View Post
Good Afternoon, everyone.

I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong thread, I am very new to this site. I was searching for help because I have an AT-2020 Microphone that I had attempted to sell for months now, and got nowhere, so now I wish to use it, but the issue is, there is a very loud static noise that is covering my voice. I could hear my voice, very quietly.

I thought perhaps it was the computer, perhaps somehow my surroundings were making a lot of noise (although I doubted it) so I tested it with another microphone I have, the Neewer NW-700, which worked perfectly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is the microphone broken? Thank you very much.
Which model 2020 do you have? If it's the regular 2020, the mic requires 48v phantom power. If it's the now discontinued 2020usb, it requires only 5v...just like the Neewer you have which works.

USB from a computer is only 5v, so it looks like you have a regular 2020, not the USB model. If so, it is not getting enough power to work. Check out the model to be sure.

Last edited by Wyllys; 1 week ago at 08:55 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
Which model 2020 do you have? If it's the regular 2020, the mic requires 48v phantom power. If it's the now discontinued 2020usb, it requires only 5v...just like the Neewer you have which works.

USB from a computer is only 5v, so it looks like you have a regular 2020, not the USB model. If so, it is not getting enough power to work. Chck out the model to be sure.
Good catch . The Neewer mic comes with an XLR to 3.5mm TRS cable which the XLR version of the AT2020 wouldn't do very well with plugged directly into a computer with that cable.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

USB from a computer is only 5v, so it looks like you have a regular 2020, not the USB model. If so, it is not getting enough power to work. Check out the model to be sure.
Hey guys! It's me again. I tried the Ziplock fix and I saw someone wanted an answer to whether it worked or not, sadly my friend I come to give you grave news, it did not.

Yes, you're indeed right the 2020 I have is regular. So in that case, what would be the fix there?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
you can't fix it because we still don't know what's wrong with it. I'm not a DYI person, so at this point I'd contact AT.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys! It's me again. I tried the Ziplock fix and I saw someone wanted an answer to whether it worked or not, sadly my friend I come to give you grave news, it did not.

Yes, you're indeed right the 2020 I have is regular. So in that case, what would be the fix there?
- What are you plugging it into (interface, mixer, or something else) and what are you using for a cable (it should be an XLR to XLR microphone cable)?
- Is the phantom power (48v) turned on when you try to use the mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

single channel phantom power supply

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-1-Chan...SIN=B01N7BJ2MY
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
single channel phantom power supply

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-1-Chan...SIN=B01N7BJ2MY
Doesn't the OP have an interface or mixer with phantom power? That never occurred to me. I wouldn't recommend that he buy a phantom supply to test a mic he's going to sell (and a mic that won't sell for a lot).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
If you used the same cable with the other mic and the other mic worked, yes you have narrowed it down to a problem with the microphone.
No, this is faulty reasoning. Given the information about the mics and equipment used plus the fact that he's using the Neewer cable (XLRF>3.5mmTRS) for both mics, the greatest possibility is insufficient phantom power. This is (was) easily confirmed by a search of both the 2020 and the Neewer.

Assigning fault to or defining a problem as belonging to one or another piece of gear as an assumption (i.e. no concrete proof) or theory prejudices the examination. Classic yet unintended "red herring".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
No, this is faulty reasoning. Given the information about the mics and equipment used plus the fact that he's using the Neewer cable (XLRF>3.5mmTRS) for both mics, the greatest possibility is insufficient phantom power. This is (was) easily confirmed by a search of both the 2020 and the Neewer.

Assigning fault to or defining a problem as belonging to one or another piece of gear as an assumption (i.e. no concrete proof) or theory prejudices the examination. Classic yet unintended "red herring".
It isn't exactly faulty reasoning, it is my profound ignorance of the cabling and powering of the Neewer-type microphone that led me to "compare birds to bagels" and then make (I think) perfectly reasonable statements... No, you're right. Thanks for educating me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Bushman...

Nothing personal intended. Trouble-shooting is a huge part of sound work at any level and one can or should never procede without verifiable proof/information, plodding step by step toward a conclusion without jumping, so to speak.

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Bushman...

Nothing personal intended. Trouble-shooting is a huge part of sound work at any level and one can or should never procede without verifiable proof/information, plodding step by step toward a conclusion without jumping, so to speak.

Thanks.
No offense taken at all. I am serious in thanking you for making me aware of a microphone type I was only vaguely aware of. And you prevented me from directing the poster down a rabbit hole, however good my intentions were.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No offense taken at all. I am serious in thanking you for making me aware of a microphone type I was only vaguely aware of. And you prevented me from directing the poster down a rabbit hole, however good my intentions were.
Rabbit can be delicious if you have a good recipe.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, this is faulty reasoning. Given the information about the mics and equipment used plus the fact that he's using the Neewer cable (XLRF>3.5mmTRS) for both mics, the greatest possibility is insufficient phantom power.
Where had the OP stated he was using the Neewer XLR to 3.5mm cable? It was only conjecture at this point since he hasn't stated or come back and said how he's connecting or to what.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Where had the OP stated he was using the Neewer XLR to 3.5mm cable? It was only conjecture at this point since he hasn't stated or come back and said how he's connecting or to what.

Quote:
If you used the same cable with the other mic...
You are correct, sir. OP did not state he used the same cable. Bushman stated "if" the same cable was used and that's the key.

Given: Neewer mic works. Neewer mic uses an XLRF>TRS 3.5mm cable.

Implication: Input was into the computer the OP mentioned. This inference is based on the fairly safe assumption that since the Neewer worked and the 2020 didn't (with the addendum of the description of the sound of the 2020), the same cable was used, it was the one supplied with the Neewer and, given the different voltage requirements of the two mics, the logical conclusion would be lack of adequate phantom power to the 2020. The description of the sound as "a loud static sound covering my voice...I could hear my voice very quietly" is a dead give-away that the 2020 was receiving either no phantom or inadequate phantom.

You are correct that the OP did not state "the same cable". However, the input was the same...mic in on computer. This likewise was not directly stated, but all things considered the logical scenario is mic>cable>computer. Ergo, the same cable was used as the computer would have no XLR input and no pre-amp or interface/mixer was mentioned.

But you are again correct. Assumptions have been made...based on direct statements, description of sound and models/brands of mics. I think any assumptions were logical ones, though, but I plead guilty.

Edit:

Upon further examination, it appears that computer mic circuits output their 5v power on the ring of the TRS connector. Condenser mics such as the 2020 and likely all or an extremely high percentage of "the usual suspects" are pin 2 hot, so there's apparently another fly in the ointment. Even if 5v phantom would power a 2020, the voltage might be on the wrong pin.

This is a great argument for avoiding cheap "consumer" grade gear.

Last edited by Wyllys; 1 week ago at 01:07 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hello Everyone!

To settle for starters, the Microphone came with it's own cable, I attempted to use the cable on the microphone and it did not work, it did the same issue. That's when I attempted the Neewer microphone with the 2020 cable, which worked, so I then switched it, attempted the Neewer cable with the 2020 to no results.

Mark, I don't think I can answer your questions because you are talking Chinese to me here, but I plug the input cable into the microphone input. That's the one that works for the Neewer, though I have no mixer. Would that be the problem? I don't know what type of cable it is, and I checked around but couldn't find an answer to which type of cable it is.

I was planning on selling the 2020, but you guys are telling me it wouldn't be worth to buy a power supply to use it. My final question (Assuming that the problem of the AT2020 is truly the power supply) is whether you guys would recommend the NW-700 or the AT2020. Because if the AT2020 is better than the NW-700 I might consider buying the power supply in the future and keep the microphone for myself.

I appreciate all your help, guys. Very glad I found this forum.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mark, I don't think I can answer your questions because you are talking Chinese to me here, but I plug the input cable into the microphone input. That's the one that works for the Neewer, though I have no mixer. Would that be the problem? I don't know what type of cable it is, and I checked around but couldn't find an answer to which type of cable it is.
Which cable are you using to connect the AT2020? 'A' or 'B'?
Attached Thumbnails
Help! AT-2020 Microphone not working.-xlr_female_to_3.5mm-.jpg   Help! AT-2020 Microphone not working.-xlr-b.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
Which cable are you using to connect the AT2020? 'A' or 'B'?
I am using 'A'
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That cable came with the NW-700. It will not work with the AT2020. If you need to test the mic possibly take it to a music store that might let you test it. Or sell it cheap as 'not known if mic works'.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Jeez... How does one even know about these forums yet not have any available equipment that has an XLR mic input with phantom power? Once again, Gearslutz has amazed me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
And I suspect that the mic is perfectly fine. It is worth confirming that so you can truthfully sell it as a working mic.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

See, the thing is I bought this mic a while back, it came with the cable, I tried both, neither worked.

Is there a way to get the AT2020 to work on computer? Would I need to get another cable and the power supply? Should I even keep the AT2020 or continue on with the NW-700?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If you are not really interested in recording audio as at least a serious hobby, sell the AT2020 and use the other mic for whatever uses you have.
If you are at least somewhat interested in recording audio, the AT2020 is a decent starter mic. Rather than buying a phantom supply and futzing around with connections to a soundcard in the computer, you should buy a real audio interface. There is a learning curve to quality audio, and from your posts I think you are barely into the starting arc of that curve. It is difficult to get started and becomes an expensive hobby fairly quickly. So don't lightly decide to hang onto this mic, because right now it is useless to you.

Last edited by Bushman; 1 week ago at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Missing words
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

As people said, your condenser mic needs 48 volts of phantom power. It sounds like you are running it into to a stock, on board sound card which simply doesn't provide that. You will need either a phantom power supply, as shown in post 11 of the thread, but an audio interface is a much better investment. I don't know about the Behringer unit above, but it should work. You could also look at a Focusrite Scarlett, you may want the solo, you may want the 2i2. Or, look on your local Craigslist and see what is out there. You cannot make this mic work without phantom power and it makes more sense to buy an interface than a phantom power supply, IMO.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search