The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I Need A Mic Stand That has a good amount of weight at the bottom... Any Thoughts?
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

I Need A Mic Stand That has a good amount of weight at the bottom... Any Thoughts?

I Just Ordered a C1 Mic and I need a stand for it...
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

One Idea and something I've done for my overhead mic stands is to slide a 10 to 25 pound weight down over the tube to rest on the base. Works great and is stable as heck. Cheap too!
Old 27th March 2007
Gear Nut

I've used bar-bell weights. You can find these dirt cheap at garage sales. Some are plastic, some are metal. It doesn't make any difference. I also have the tri-pod type of stands but don't use them much because of the amount of floor space they take up.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear
Flat disk metal weights, as-found for free or at garages sales/thrift stores. Cut out a disk of felt or a piece of fuzzy GI wool blanket that has been hot washed/dried (shrunk) to put between the metal. Another "as-found" solution is an old pickup truck drum brake (sort-of round, has a hole for the stand center, cast iron and weighs plenty).

If you hate how these solutions look, put a towel or blanket around the base, like a Christmas tree.

Karl
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys... I'll look for some this weekend
Old 27th March 2007

Or get some used bank bags (or other sturdy canvas type bags) and fill them with lead shot or pea gravel. Sew them shut with a little space in there.

You can set these on cast bases or the legs of tripod bases for weight.

-tINY

Old 30th March 2007
Gear Maniac

I use ankle weights on the mic stands, they are easy because they loop with velcro so you can change them from stand to stand etc... Also got them dirt cheap at a garage sale.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

If there's a theatrical or other lighting supply plce by you they usually have heavy duty sandbags, they work really well & are made of a sturdy vinyl that won't tear for a while at least.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Impact makes nice shot bags already filled. I think Matthews makes "fly-away" bags which are empty and have velcro so you can fill them yourself and save on shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cessory_detail

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=1373
Old 31st March 2007
Old 31st March 2007
Lives for gear

Not as heavy but still useful in a pinch.....bags of rice.

jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search