The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone use a Roswell Mini K47 and not like it?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Anyone use a Roswell Mini K47 and not like it?

Hi all,

Thinking about picking up a Roswell Mini K47 for general use, mainly vocals on my wife and maybe some electric guitar while reamping and tracking.

Has anyone purchased one and not liked it? There's not a ton of info out about it, but everything I'm reading has been very positive, some of it from seemingly neutral sources. I've even considered saving up and grabbing a Delphos, but $600 more is a little bit hard to justify at the moment.

Any thoughts either way on the Mini K47?

Thanks,

Brandon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Mini K47 is a very cool inexpensive microphone.

For another more affordable taste of Roswell technology check out microphone-parts.com. Mic Parts sells microphone kits and pre-built versions of them. Mic Parts is a sub division of Roswell microphones.

I've built several of the Mic Parts kits and own a stereo pair of Mini K47, all good stuff, great tools for recording.

Good music to you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks, foldback!

I have an Apex 460 I'm planning on rebuilding with his RK12 capsule and the Fox Audio PCBs, but it's good to hear more about microphone parts!

Brandon
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You will be very happy with that modded 460, I built a Mic Parts 12-251 (same thing only unbranded new body parts) and it's very sweet sounding, incredible for the money.

I've reworked a number of MXL donor mic bodies with Mic Parts upgrades, capsules and circuit boards, words can not describe the improvement, they're different microphones now. Incredible performance regardless of price.

I've got one that has a Theirsch Blue Line PVC capsule in it and AMI transformer, sounds like a $4000 microphone.

Good music to all!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I bought a matched pair of the Mini K47s not long after they came out. They are smooth with an un-hyped top end. They work great as drum overheads and most recently used them to mic vocal and acoustic guitar for a singer songwriter needing to play and sing at the same time. I was really impressed with the sound and used no eq,
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
You will be very happy with that modded 460, I built a Mic Parts 12-251 (same thing only unbranded new body parts) and it's very sweet sounding, incredible for the money.

I've reworked a number of MXL donor mic bodies with Mic Parts upgrades, capsules and circuit boards, words can not describe the improvement, they're different microphones now. Incredible performance regardless of price.

I've got one that has a Theirsch Blue Line PVC capsule in it and AMI transformer, sounds like a $4000 microphone.

Good music to all!
Very glad to hear that! My wife was using the 460 while I was gone the other day and told me something went "pop" and it stopped working. I knew immediately what I had to do... I've never been so happy for something to break before in my life. Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsongs View Post
I bought a matched pair of the Mini K47s not long after they came out. They are smooth with an un-hyped top end. They work great as drum overheads and most recently used them to mic vocal and acoustic guitar for a singer songwriter needing to play and sing at the same time. I was really impressed with the sound and used no eq,
Awesome. I will probably regret not getting a matched pair, but I ordered one yesterday. Hopefully I'll have it before a few sessions this weekend.

Brandon
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Wow! Spent the weekend with this mic and am VERY impressed! It sounds great! I've tried it on electric guitar (heavy guitars on top of that... Marshall JVM410H through Bogner OS 212), acoustic guitar, and my wife's vocals. I'm not 100% sold yet on my wife's vocals, but that just means I'll keep buying more mics. Haha! She does sound good through this one. I'm using a Rane MS1 preamp for now, so she may just need a little coloration to help.

I'm shocked this mic is $299. I'll probably rebuild my Apex into a C12 clone and also grab an SCA N72 for vox, but this thing sounds more than great on acoustic and electric guitars. Electric guitars shocked me how good it sounded.

Here's a sample of noodling on an acoustic: https://soundcloud.com/brandon-buell...h-acoustic-k47

The playing is horrible, please ignore it. There's some compression and verb on it, needless to say.

Brandon
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I purchased one when they were introduced, then two more for a voice over studio. For the $$$ this is a really good microphone. I occasionally will do a voice over from my home set up and it's my go to mic for that. Very pleased.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL1 View Post
I'm not 100% sold yet on my wife's vocals, but that just means I'll keep buying more mics.

Brandon
Build or buy a completed Microphone-Parts.com 12-251 or T-12, both of these use the edge-terminated capsule instead of the center terminated type. I love the sound of these on our resident female vocalist.

The owner of Roswell is also the owner of Microphone Parts so you'll still be in the family. I have built both the 12-251 and the T-12, you'll get microphones that sound like they cost over $5k (ask Greg Wells) for less than $700 or less than $400 if you build them yourself.

Good music to all!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Yep, I spent some time talking to Matt at Summer NAMM this weekend. Awesome guy. I spent about 45 minutes after that speaking to Dave Thomas of Advanced Audio. That was a fun, geeky conversation!

Thanks for the recommendations. A huge part of me wants to build every one of Matt's mics and then buy a couple of Advanced Audio mics, too. BTW, Advanced Audio will soon have their C800 clone out for I think $895. Could be a fun mic.

Brandon
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search