The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice for new room and new speakers - APS Klasik
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Advice for new room and new speakers - APS Klasik

Hey,

i am ready to set up a new room for a home studio.
primarily i will be mixing in this room. if possible, it would be nice to be able to some overdubbing (vocals, small guitar amps, edrums). but the focus is on mixing.

i have attached the measurements of the room. right know the place is empty.

the height of the room is 2,52 m.

i am not sure how to place my listening position. i can place myself to look at the window, or at one of the long walls.

i think i am leaning towards to look at the windows.
if i take the advice to place myself around 38 percent of the room length, i think there will be less problems in this position.
if i think about the first reflections from the side walls and the wall behind me, i would mostly have to deal with the things besides me.
the backwall would be around 4 m behind me.
if i place myself to look at the long side of the room i would have to deal with more problems. the backwall would be very close behind me, the sidewalls would also be only 2,5 meters away from me. the sound needs around 3 ms to travel 1 meter. the refelctions from the sidewall will be at me at less than 20 ms. i think that´s not a great thing.

Any thoughts?

i think about buying a new pair of studio monitors. Till now i used the dynaudio bm6 mkii with an dynaudio bm9s sub.
i used them in a really bad room, a little smaller than the new on. no treatment at all.
but i have to say that i never felt good using a sub. i don´t like it.
i think that a sub in small rooms is not good.
after a little research i saw the APS Klasik Speakers.
I am sure that i want speakers that go down below 40 hz. that is why i added a sub in the past. i need that little space below 40 hz for my mixing style. i don´t need all the way down to 20 hz. but around 30 - 35 is a cool thing.

i imagine that a speakers like the APS Klasik can work well in the new room.
but i am really asking for tips here. perhaps people that know the APS Klasik or even some Users read this and can give me a little feedback to the speakers.
from what i found in the www, there is not much to compare in this price range. i can get a new pair for around 1100 $.
here in europe i can sell me dynaudio setup much for the same on the used market.

i have tried to write down my thoughts. please let me know what you think about the placement of my listening position and if there is a pair of speakers that i have overlooked. speakers that would be in the same ballpark as the APS Klasik, with a little extended low frequency, so there is no need for a sub.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Advice for new room and new speakers - APS Klasik-my-room.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Face the window.
Old 1 day ago
Great choice on the APS Klasiks. I love mine and actually like the way they sound horizontally a little more than vertically so be sure to try that. I found that in my control room they sounded best about 4.5 feet away from me and about 3.5 feet from the wall behind. Your room will be different so experiment. I will say the Klasiks deserve a lot more attention around GS as they are terrific monitors.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search