The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Screeching noise when mixing with 'outboard gear'
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Screeching noise when mixing with 'outboard gear'

Hi All
So I've been experimenting with running line outs through guitar pedals then back through line ins. I'm using a Scarlett 2i2 and this is working perfectly using a Boss DM-2 delay pedal and also when running through an amp. However, when running through my multi-effects pedal (Boss ME-25) I get a really loud screeching sound whenever I apply an effect. The only one I have succeeded in achieving is very (and I mean VERY) low levels of reverb.
Can anyone help a poor (as in lack of money as well) Gearslut out?? What am I doing wrong?
Can provide any other info needed I just don't know what else to put.
Thanks
Jack Goodison

N.B. - I am running a signal from my DAW through the Right output of my 2i2 and then running that signal back into my DAW through the Left input.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Seems like you've got a feedback loop happening.

I'm guessing your return track in your DAW is also going through that "right" output. Make sure it's only going through the left.

It's also possible you may not be able to monitor at the same time depending on the routing of your interface.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

If you are coming from an output of the Scarlett back to an input, make sure the "direct monitor" switch on the front of the i2i is off or you can create a feedback loop.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Thanks @NoRfolkmartin I'm pretty sure that was the problem
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search