The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worthwhile dirt cheap mic(s)?
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Having tried the computer internal mic thing, I know that's simply not true. Even a karoke $6.95 mic would probably sound better than that and surely won't sound worse. Those internal things are horrific (not that I would expect much anyway).

Again I am not looking for anything more than very modest quality for very modest needs. I care little about specs etc. Basically sound decent, don't give me a lot of static, buzzing etc in the background (as I've heard can be an issue w/some) and don't break 6 mos down the road. I guess I am/was hoping for about a $20-30ish range for something like that. Oh and I don't have an AI currently so I would prefer a USB mic. Yeah I could by an adapter but again that cuts into the whole point of spending little......

Might be a pipe dream but figured it can't hurt to ask/look. I might give one a shot and if it doesn't pan out, I haven't lost much.
If $50 is over budget, then you need to quit music

Get a real job and some money, The gear will be waiting for you when you return
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
If $50 is over budget, then you need to quit music

Get a real job and some money, The gear will be waiting for you when you return
Thank you for that tragically ignorant and worthless reply.

If you have nothing of value to add to a thread - and on this one you clearly don't - perhaps you should just try skipping it. Making insulting and childish remarks isn't exactly impressing or helping anyone.
Old 20th August 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Thank you for that tragically ignorant and worthless reply.

If you have nothing of value to add to a thread - and on this one you clearly don't - perhaps you should just try skipping it. Making insulting and childish remarks isn't exactly impressing or helping anyone.
Bill, GS is a place you take with a pinch of salt occasionally stumbling on a treasure trove of useful infomation.

That said I do nominate the Samson C05 that was used on a cheap recording demo I did years ago..

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...challenge.html
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post

The non-electret small diaphragm Chinese condensers seem great for the money. I've got a Gear4Music one, this Nady CM90 is probably similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Nady-Small-Di...dp/B00013BMT4/
I have a friend who bought several of these to use to beef up his inventory when doing orchestra work (using them mostly on brass where there the sound is mostly acoustic anyway). The problem was consistency. Of the 4 he bought, none of them sounded the same. A couple were OK and a couple were pretty horrid. You roll the dice and you take your chances .
Old 27th May 2019
Here for the gear

I agree with you, I have also read a guide https://idealmusical.com/cheap-mics-for-recording/

Quote:
Not thinking even home studio probably, but something really cheap for just rough demos etc....is there anything below about $50 that's notably better than the $6.95 karoke style mics? This is one of the few sites I found that seems to think so... The Best Microphone for an Under $50 Budget | Mic Reviews

That $20ish CAD is kind of the thing I was thinking but don't know if there would be any diff between that and the toy mics (if that's not one itself even). Anyone w/experience on any of these or something similar?

EDITs for clarification:

- to be used on laptop, no AI, so condensers are out.
- new only; I don't buy used.
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

GLS ES57. It's $29 on ebay.

SM57 clone. Probably without the internal isolation.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Guru
Monoprice Vocal Dynamic. Bought it for harp blues gigging and actually used it as a vocal mic on some tracks since it's bright. Looks like a Sennheiser and build quality is chunky!... All of $14-.....
Old 19th April 2020
Here for the gear

You can check and read about Cheap Microphones here https://musicalhunter.com/microphones/
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Head
Isk Pearl and Isk ICDM are incredible mics for the price. There's a promotional deal where you can get the ICDM for $30 each or 2 for $50. I have a few other more well known budget mics (GLS ES57 and Behringer XM8500) and I get more use out of the isk mics. As other people were mentioning, a used SM57 is rarely a poor investment.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalHunter View Post
You can check and read about Cheap Microphones here https://musicalhunter.com/microphones/
? Thanks but all that link has is 2 links to articles about wireless mics. I meant cheap but still worth recording music with
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodProduct View Post
Isk Pearl and Isk ICDM are incredible mics for the price. There's a promotional deal where you can get the ICDM for $30 each or 2 for $50. I have a few other more well known budget mics (GLS ES57 and Behringer XM8500) and I get more use out of the isk mics. As other people were mentioning, a used SM57 is rarely a poor investment.
I'm hip to isK ICDM is on the list for sure.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

I have gotten a huge amount of mileage from CADs inexpensive tom mics. Mine are CAD NDM10s, but I think the newer TSM series are basically the same thing.

I bought a bunch of SM57s over the last several years, but honestly I should have bought more NDM10s.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Fingers View Post
Behringer XM8500. Good enough for male vocals, and fighting against feedback. I'm guessing you have a Focusrite 2i2 or some simple USB interface.
I bought a pack of three XM8500s for krapioki - £36 if I remember rightly. I didn't like the idea of drunken idiots windmilling my 58s or Heil PR20/22s - I was amazed how good they are - I've slipped them in to the odd open mic night to see if anyone noticed the "cheap nasty" mics and they sound less muddy than 58s! Not as good as the PRs - but amazing for the price.
Old 20th April 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
I bought a pack of three XM8500s for krapioki ... they sound less muddy than 58s!
I'll also give the XM8500 a +1 (reluctantly, because I don't particularly want to support Behringer). Had one briefly before giving it to a friend, and I agree it's less muddy than my SM58, and it's hotter output too. It's not as good as dealing with plosives or handling noise as the SM58, so there are still reasons to get the real thing. But it's obscenely good value for that price, and if that really is all you can afford, you could definitely make things with an XM8500.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyneRyder View Post
I'll also give the XM8500 a +1 (reluctantly, because I don't particularly want to support Behringer). Had one briefly before giving it to a friend, and I agree it's less muddy than my SM58, and it's hotter output too. It's not as good as dealing with plosives or handling noise as the SM58, so there are still reasons to get the real thing. But it's obscenely good value for that price, and if that really is all you can afford, you could definitely make things with an XM8500.
I have to admit to being biased and absolutely hating 58s! They do sound great with a handful of singers and rarely sound terrible. But 80% of people just sound okay through them – the mud drives me insane! But 58s are very forgiving with poor microphone technique (as they are not hypercardioid like many modern dynamic handhelds.)

In open mic situations, for people I know I usually use Heil PR20/22 or Sontronics Solo (brighter singers will get the Solo) – both of which almost sound like a condenser compared to a SM58. If I don’t know someone, I’ll stick up a 58 as I don’t know if their mic technique is up to using a hypercardiod – obviously people I know who have a poor technique get the 58 as well. But in most situations the PR20/22 and Solo sound SOOOOOOO much better it’s not even close and both are cheaper than a Beta 58 - which I don’t like as much anyway – Beta 58s are not as rolled-off as a SM58 or as airy as a Solo or PR20/22.
Old 20th April 2020
Old 30th July 2020
Here for the gear

You should read this guide it will clear all your confusions related to microphone
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

This is the zombie thread from hell. Rather than being resurrected this whole discussion would have been better off simply deleted.

The OP three years ago wanted something for nothing and ignored any good advice that was offered from people here and now returns!?!?!

OP have you not managed to buy a mic in the last three years???

A basic usb interface like a Behringer UM2 for $50 or the UMC202 for $120 and a cheap mic from $30-100 is the reasonable entry point for recording things. A used Shure 57 or 58, a Behringer 8500, or a MXL V67 or a AT2020 are all decent. It might add up to $100-$200 all said and done but this is a much better plan than screwing around adapting a $19 xlr Best Buy mic into the 1/8" mic input on a computer to end up with buzz, distortion, and wasted time and dollars, then again it's been three years so what's a little wasted time!?!?!?
Old 31st July 2020
Something something something hatred for necro threading something or other.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
Something something something hatred for necro threading something or other.
Some old threads are worth bringing back bit many leave me wondering why sonebody bothered.

At least my complaining something something had some substance to it, certainly more than your post simply complaining about me.

So do you think a really sh!tty mic and an adapter to 1/8" computer input is a worthwhile direction for someone starting out recording??

There is a basic amount of gear that is needed to record something even halfway decently which I think is a pretty valid and useful point to make.

If someone is really strapped for cash wasting even $50 on something that is going to work terribly is a bad plan compared to holding on and spending $80-$150 on some equipment that will be able to produce some reasonably good results if they learn how to use it correctly.
Old 1st August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
Some old threads are worth bringing back bit many leave me wondering why sonebody bothered.

At least my complaining something something had some substance to it, certainly more than your post simply complaining about me.

So do you think a really sh!tty mic and an adapter to 1/8" computer input is a worthwhile direction for someone starting out recording??

There is a basic amount of gear that is needed to record something even halfway decently which I think is a pretty valid and useful point to make.

If someone is really strapped for cash wasting even $50 on something that is going to work terribly is a bad plan compared to holding on and spending $80-$150 on some equipment that will be able to produce some reasonably good results if they learn how to use it correctly.
I agree with you. Im just being an ass for humor's sake.

All to many times I've tried to spend a dollar to save a penny so to speak.

There is a plethora of budget mics out there right now that would kick the crap out of a 1/8" adapted turd mic. Hell, I'd get some mxl's first. Or apex.
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

(best Bob Denver/Gilligan voice) "Professor, not only are there a plethora... There's a lot of them out there!"
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Sony F-81
📝 Reply