The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building Instruments from Scrap
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Building Instruments from Scrap

Well I got attacked and drugged and driven out of my country!
Unfortunately all my instruments and equipment are still trapped back there and it makes me really sad and miserable not being able to play any music which I've been unable to do for a long time now.

Instruments seem a lot rarer here in Germany (on the mainland generally in fact) so I'm finally resorting to building my own instruments. I will be frustrated to miss my fave instruments but at least I will be able to do something musically and I can just pretend it is only for now.

Does anybody have any tips on doing this, preferably with readily available scrap?
I already found a huge thing that I think is going to be a drum but I'm wondering what I can use for a skin?

Any suggestions welcome!

Freya
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

@Freya When did this happen to you, were you alone or with family, friends, etc. and were/are there any witnesses? YouTube "Landfill Harmonic" for inspiration.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@Freya When did this happen to you, were you alone or with family, friends, etc. and were/are there any witnesses? YouTube "Landfill Harmonic" for inspiration.
I was alone and vulnerable as you might expect, it was a while ago now and I don't want to talk about it really. It doesn't help any!
It's also a fantastically silly story, for instance I escaped because I didn't eat the (drugged) chicken as I don't eat meat and nobody realised that that and the wonders of Heathrow and the tube system... anyway....

Making some music will help a lot more I think.

I will definitely check out Landfill Harmonic! Thanks for the tip!

Freya
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

@Freya talking about things can be cathartic plus I'm a curious soul.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Maniac

I should probably add that I'm looking for things that might be reasonably easy to build!

Freya
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

I made a homemade lap steel when I was a kid. If the 12-year-old me could do it, you certainly can.
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I made a homemade lap steel when I was a kid. If the 12-year-old me could do it, you certainly can.
How did you do it?
What was it made from?

Freya
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

A box for a Cajon, stick a broom handle and a peice of string on top and it's a bass.
A two or three string guitar fashioned from a strong peice of wood with strings held on with pegs.

Hmm, you may need tools...
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

A road cone could become a microphone/speaker!

This is sounding like a band I want to see.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
How did you do it?
What was it made from?
Big hunks of wood I found in the basement. Pine, I suppose. The tuners and pickup came from a busted up cheap Sears guitar I found in a dumpster (probably a "collectible" now). No pots for the pickup, just straight to a female 1/4". Don't remember what I made the nut and bridge out of -- big, thick wire of some sort.

Aside from the fact that it worked at all, the coolest thing was that the pickup was stuck on with rubber cement, so you could move it.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

You can buy guitar necks for as low as $20 on ebay. Problem is by the time you add all the hardware and electronics bought piece by piece, you don't save anything. Even if you build your own bodies like I do.

My best suggestion is save you money and simply buy a used instrument. Even a new one can be had for $50. It may not be the best player but a little tweaking and upgrades it can be decent player.

The other options would be to visit garage sales, flea markets etc. and find something cheap. heck if you lived around me I'd give you an old used junker you could fix up. Unfortunately the shipping from here would be more then the instruments worth.
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for gear

Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
You can buy guitar necks for as low as $20 on ebay. Problem is by the time you add all the hardware and electronics bought piece by piece, you don't save anything. Even if you build your own bodies like I do.

My best suggestion is save you money and simply buy a used instrument. Even a new one can be had for $50. It may not be the best player but a little tweaking and upgrades it can be decent player.

The other options would be to visit garage sales, flea markets etc. and find something cheap. heck if you lived around me I'd give you an old used junker you could fix up. Unfortunately the shipping from here would be more then the instruments worth.
Absolutely. Just surf eBay until you find something local to you, and unlovely, something that's not likely to be popular but will work.
I bought a homemade Frankencaster guitar for £4. It needed some work, but cost nothing to fix up beyond a set of strings that I already had.
Works fine.
Jus sayin . .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search