The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question for artists here: Why did you choose home recording vs paying a studio?
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

@Lander Home recording has not devalued and will never devalue the art of making music as what quality or not quality music comes down to is people knowing what their strengths and weaknesses are.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

To "save money"
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

1.)I saw buying recording equipment as a better long term investment.
After buying and selling way too much gear maybe I was wrong about that one lol.

2.) Out of necessity. I was sick of trying to co-ordinate plans with others and decided screw it... I'm just going to do it myself.

3.) Start a studio and own the gear vs Go to recording school and own nothing.
I chose to own and get hands on. Don't regret the decision for a second.

4.) I'm a recovering gearslut
Old 29th April 2017
Here for the gear
- passionate about the creative process of making music
- commuting to studios was not something i could do at the time, let alone pay those rates (late middle school / early high school years)
- wanted to see what it was like doing everything myself
- love for audio gear - everything looks so cool!
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Addict

I use both - a home studio and and a very excellent local pro studio. Each has its place. There is no doubt in my case that the pro studio (Sadson Music Group - Lincoln Nebraska) is so far ahead of me. They not only record and engineer, but they are very involved in the production - even song writing assistance and writing and producing the music tracks. Excellent studio musicians. They are very fine musicians and therefore know what to do. They also have vocalists available. I have partnered with them on some cd releases and am quite delighted with their entire services.
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Head

I have been thinking a lot lately about "how do I differentiate myself from all of the bulls*#tters out there"? Meaning - everybody and their dog has the tools to record these days. And they all come at bands or musicians with "come record with me, it'll be great! So far what I have come up with is 3 things:
1. Word of mouth
2. Samples of your work available for potential clients to check out.
3. Gear - either pictures or an available gear list.
Of course a good engineer can make lesser gear sound great, and bad "engineers" can make great gear sound bad, and plenty of potential clients don't know the difference between a 57 and a u87, but some do and can tell the legitimacy of your studio or set up by the gear you have.
Typicality someone isn't going to spend a few grand on 4 channels of preamps unless they know their stuff. But some will I guess...
Does anyone have any other advice on how to make it clearer for potential clients to choose you instead of the next guy who has a couple of mics and garage bad? (Again, not that someone can't do just as good of a job with that set up if they really know what they are doing)
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by obviousb View Post
I have been thinking a lot lately about "how do I differentiate myself from all of the bulls*#tters out there"? Meaning - everybody and their dog has the tools to record these days. And they all come at bands or musicians with "come record with me, it'll be great!
What you are leaving out is that every band has a guy, the bass player or the drummer or the rhythm guitarist who says: "I can run this gear, let's record ourselves, it'll be great".

And after some period of trial and error, it probably won't be any worse than if they went to a bad studio that also had the least-expensive array of prosumer gear and an engineer who was "still learning". But if they are still at it five years down the line, that drummer or bass player will be out of the band, replaced by a Cat who spent the last five years practicing and gigging ONLY.

He may run his own little studio like the ones you are talking about. The band may keep him on as their Sound Guy, but if they get a contract or some backing, they will of course, go to a Real Studio. If they get a tour, they will get a Real FOH Guy.

JOAT-MON
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

It's a luxury to record in real studios with great engineers, but home recording can work if lots of things are in place .. i.e, the home engineer being experienced and clever, as a starting point.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Well I'm glad you didn't digress to silly hyperbole.

According to some, that means you're doomed to failure.
Lol - I'll be retired in 5 years - do you think I care if I succeed at this point? I'm just looking forward to kicking back after 45 years of trying to survive when I moved out of my parent's basement.
Old 1st May 2017
Lives for gear

I make electronic music, so that's obvious. But, I plan on making it my entire life, so I always want to be self sufficient
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search