The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone know some cheap hidden gem analog boards with amazing sound quality?s
Old 18th March 2017
Here for the gear

anyone know some cheap hidden gem analog boards with amazing sound quality?s

Back in 2012 I wanted to get a good camera, I went with a mirror less lens gh2 made by Panasonic, after months of research. I bought it because it could use any lens in the world with am adapter, and it could be modded with a "hack" to increase bit rates... everyone said I should have got a cannon but they just didnt compare

this camera goes for about 200-300$, but years later in 2017 with the right lens it gives a 2017 red camera or any high end camera a run for its money. Most people wouldnt even get this one, because they would get the gh4 which is 4k. but thats video, this is audio, but thats my example.

so im looking for people who know about hidden jem analog boards that are out there. Maybe great in their day, but are looked over because they are missing features, or are limited with auxes. I am looking at a soundcraft 200b, but that is like a well know board...Im just wondering what other models maybe some people know about, I would like to research them
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Um I hate to go down this road again because I feel a drone buzzing over my house already. The Behringer Xenyx boards are almost identical to the Mackie ones. I`ve heard them, sometimes they hit or miss a clone, I think they hit this one. Go away drone!
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

I know what you mean. Yes there are some great values. After a lot of searching I recently purchased two - a Soundcraft Si Impact and a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK. In my opinion both of these fit into that category. I am very impressed at how they were able to put in very fine converters, preamps and build quality for the price. Check them out.
Old 18th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teashea View Post
I know what you mean. Yes there are some great values. After a lot of searching I recently purchased two - a Soundcraft Si Impact and a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK. In my opinion both of these fit into that category. I am very impressed at how they were able to put in very fine converters, preamps and build quality for the price. Check them out.
do you know if the signature 10 or 12 use the same preamps as yours?
Old 18th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressurenyc View Post
I can confirm this, the whole Signature series uses the same "Ghost" preamps, "Sapphyre" EQ, Lexicon and DBX FX... you get the picture
Old 19th March 2017
Well, they say they are "directly drawn" from the high end units. That's not exactly the same as saying they are the exact same preamps, is it? Been wondering about the same thing and considering those smaller models.
How did you confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
I can confirm this, the whole Signature series uses the same "Ghost" preamps, "Sapphyre" EQ, Lexicon and DBX FX... you get the picture
Old 19th March 2017
Speaking only about the preamps here, not the effects.
Old 19th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest View Post
Well, they say they are "directly drawn" from the high end units. That's not exactly the same as saying they are the exact same preamps, is it? Been wondering about the same thing and considering those smaller models.
How did you confirm this?
I highly doubt they are the same as in the high end units of old, but they should be the same in Signature 10 as in Signature 22. I don't have hard proof or anything but the comparison chart on their website only mentions routing options and number of features, never the type of features in the different models. It doesn't seem to make sense to have different kinds of Ghost preamps in different Signature models, they would call them something else in that case.
Old 19th March 2017
Quote:
I highly doubt they are the same as in the high end units of old, but they should be the same in Signature 10 as in Signature 22. I don't have hard proof or anything but the comparison chart on their website only mentions routing options and number of features, never the type of features in the different models. It doesn't seem to make sense to have different kinds of Ghost preamps in different Signature models, they would call them something else in that case.
Yes. For sure you're right. All the preamps in the Signature models are the same.
How about your Impact model? Same preamps as the Signature? Do you notice any difference?
Old 19th March 2017
Quote:
Yes. For sure you're right. All the preamps in the Signature models are the same.
How about your Impact model? Same preamps as the Signature? Do you notice any difference?
You mean the EPM? No that one uses the GB30 preamps, should be the same as in the LX7 board. I can't believe how good they sound considering they must be among the very cheapest channel strips you can buy with 3 band parametric EQ and mic preamp (12 channels for 270$). I have the EPM in my home studio and the Signature in my bands rehearsal space/studio, so can't make fair comparisons and I record different stuff through them so can't comment really. The EPM sounds good compared to my RME Fireface UC preamps though, they're a bit more relaxed but it's on a very subjective level of course.

I do think one outgrows the minimalistic routing approach in the EPM though, which is obviously where they cut corners in order to afford 12 GB30 pres and decent sweepable EQ, so in that regard the Signature 16 or 22 feels tempting for me. They on the other hand lack inserts, which I dont use at the moment but you never know...
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can verify the prior comments that they are the same. They are quite good. We can thank modern technology for allowing the manufacturing cost reductions that allow them to use these.

Take a look at some Youtube videos on Surface Mount Technology to see how circuit boards are now manufactured. Quite amazing. If people made these instead of robots, the cost would be prohibitive.

Tom
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have an Si Impact and a Signature 22 MTK. The preamps are the same. The manufacturing costs efficiency make this possible - see my prior comment in this thread. It is great that they can do this.

The effects are also good.
Old 24th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
You mean the EPM? No that one uses the GB30 preamps, should be the same as in the LX7 board. I can't believe how good they sound considering they must be among the very cheapest channel strips you can buy with 3 band parametric EQ and mic preamp (12 channels for 270$). .
so whats the better pre amp ghost or gb30?
Old 24th March 2017
Quote:
so whats the better pre amp ghost or gb30?
As I said it's hard for me to compare them since I use them in different rooms to record different stuff. Also with the Signature I use the on-board conversion while my EPM goes through the (hopefully superior) RME Fireface UC converters. In general I'd say both are good and clean low-end preamps that will get the job done. Boring answer I know, but it's all I can say for sure.
Old 27th March 2017
Lives for gear

Pick up an old Midas or DDA console. Great sound, plenty of features.
Old 31st March 2017
Try AH from the Early 90's late 80's

Ok, Thought I might weigh in on this conversation. There were a few boards made by Allen Heath back in the day that doubled as a recording studio board and front of house of monitor board for live mixing. The boards I believe the GL3 is one of them if you can find them had focusrite pre amps on each channel which were very appealing. I can't say if Rupert Neve designed them or not. Maybe others have more information. Anyway, these early AH board can be had for a song if you can find one. They featured 24 channels of pre amps and eq and the eq's were parametric. Maybe you can find one on ebay
Old 31st March 2017
GS3 not GL3

Sorry, After some coffee this morning my brain finally woke up. I meant to refer you to the AH GS3 and not the GL3 which was for live. The GS3 was the studio version and had 8 busses I believe. Oops
Old 1st April 2017
Nobody can afford to put out a bad product right now

Quote:
As I said it's hard for me to compare them since I use them in different rooms to record different stuff. Also with the Signature I use the on-board conversion while my EPM goes through the (hopefully superior) RME Fireface UC converters. In general I'd say both are good and clean low-end preamps that will get the job done. Boring answer I know, but it's all I can say for sure.
Yes. I'm starting to realize where you're going with this. And starting to be more open to the idea that the Signature and all of the new models are built to a high standard, being that the competition in this field is So fierce now.
The only way to find out is to buy all of them and compare them, but I think I'm gonna pick one and be more concerned with the feature set and what it has to offer for my situation.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I am looking at a soundcraft 200b, but that is like a well know board...Im just wondering what other models maybe some people know about, I would like to research them
Look around the Chicago area for an old Neotek. You probably won't find a big one, but their old broadcast and production-room boards are big-sounding, the eq's are pretty, and they're built very solidly.
Old 2nd April 2017
Also, the new Midas DM12 and DM 16 would be worth looking into, if you're looking for that huge sound.
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear
Neotek.
Souncraft 1600/2400/3200
D&R consoles (in the US nobody knows what they are so they have poor resale value)

those would be MY first 'go to' suggestions
Old 2nd April 2017
Lives for gear
This depends on how you plan to use it and what your expectation are. Finding a recording board with outs for every channel, and good preamps and EQ can be difficult. Older digital boards go for cheap. Older analog board take work to keep them working.

How do you plan to use it?
Old 24th April 2017
I picked up the "Midas" DM16 more because of the Midas name than the feature set & it was quite a disappointment in terms of headroom on the preamps as well as the channels. My particular unit developed a buzzing on one of the channels after only a couple hours of use so I'm very thankful to have an excuse to send it back.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Look around the Chicago area for an old Neotek.
+1/ We used these as FOH and studio mixers in the 80's. Really nice consoles.

On the ultra low end, a Ramsa WR133, if you can find one in great condition is a nice sounding board. The pre's are not bad. Not a lot of routing flexibility, but depending on what you need...

Solid build, and reliable if it was taken care of. A lot of them out there are beat to crap, because they were used as video mix boards in the 80's and 90's. The big VU's are cool. A good one is around 200 bucks or less.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

I just picked up a near brand new condition Soundcraft M4 for $150Cdn. Ghost design preamps, 100mm faders and great eq.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

For some reason I like the sound of the old live mixer, Biamp 1682, or 1282.
Old 26th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post

On the ultra low end, a Ramsa WR133, if you can find one in great condition is a nice sounding board. The pre's are not bad. Not a lot of routing flexibility, but depending on what you need...

I've been curious about those Ramsa's for a while. Everyone I know says they have a real phat and dark character sound. Been thinking about getting a little 8 channel one to use as a sidecar for drums when I want to do "dirty old school" sounding drums with minimal mics.

I just can't seem get that sound with plugins (think Eric Valentine, Tchad Blake). Maybe I just need more time and practice mangling stuff ITB? Every time I say I'm going to muck stuff up it just comes out sounding pristine.
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I've been curious about those Ramsa's for a while. Everyone I know says they have a real phat and dark character sound. Been thinking about getting a little 8 channel one to use as a sidecar for drums when I want to do "dirty old school" sounding drums with minimal mics.

I just can't seem get that sound with plugins (think Eric Valentine, Tchad Blake). Maybe I just need more time and practice mangling stuff ITB? Every time I say I'm going to muck stuff up it just comes out sounding pristine.
It's a pretty cool piece. I haven't used mine for a while, since I have so many pre's laying around, but I occasionally bring it to a gig for live sound, and it just adds a nice solid, throaty tone that the little new mixers lack. The band notices when I hook it up, and they generally don't pay attention.

Lack of outs could be an issue, but it has L, R, FX and Monitor outs, so 4. And the LR are balanced +4. FX and mon are unbal +4. Stepped gain knobs are nice too.

I considered having a guy I know do direct outs on the channels, if he would do it really cheap.
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Head

I think it'd be worth your time to look into the modular Ramsa boards from the 80s, namely the WR-8616. If you have the space, that is. I bought two for less than $500, and I love the pres, the EQ, and just the whole general sound of it. Your tastes may differ, of course. But hey, worst case scenario, you'd have a Panasonic Ramsa console to match your hidden gem Panasonic camera.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

Look for a Peavey AMR console. I know Peavey isn't the name you want to hear but it was only partially created by by Peavey. Audio Media Research actually designed it. It was Hartley Peavey's passion project to build a full fledged, great sounding studio console. They come in 8, 16, and 24 buss versions. Almost picked one up a few months back to use while my console was being repaired. They can be had for almost nothing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search