The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
APS Klasik - anyone use them?
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Head

APS Klasik - anyone use them?

Just wondering how the APS Klasik's sound? How do they translate and are they pleasing to listen to.

I'm tired of my Adam A7X not translating and struggling all the time. They also fatigue my ears pretty fast. They are not bad sounding, but just not working for me.

So it was either get some Mixcubes and keep the Adams, or sell the Adams for the APS Klasik, or Neumann KH 120A. I just want something that translates well. Thanks
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Addict

I had the Klasiks for 2 weeks in my studio a while ago, compared them directly with Focal CMS 65. Klasiks are hyped in lows and highs - good for beatmaking etc, not so good for mixing IMO. Also they are rear ported which makes things difficult in smaller rooms. CMS 65 are way better for mixing and listening in general (again - IMO), I had them for about 2 years and recently switched to Focal Trio 6 BE.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

Ok thanks for the feedback.

The Focal CMS 65 seems like great speakers and I have a few buddies with them, my only concern is a few people including my friend says it can be a little harsh in the highs. What do you think about that? They are very detailed sounding. Most people say I should just keep my Adam A7x's because of how flat they are in highs, but I can't get a good mix out of the Adam's period. So maybe I need to consider the Neumann kh120a and or just try out the Focal CMS and just return them if I don't like them.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict

Isn't there some buttons on the back to tame cms if necessary?

Wt* are aps, bot brand?
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Head

Yeah they have HP shelving at 4.5 khz. So technically I guess I could adjust them to liking.
Old 7th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLOSONIX View Post
I had the Klasiks for 2 weeks in my studio a while ago, compared them directly with Focal CMS 65. Klasiks are hyped in lows and highs - good for beatmaking etc, not so good for mixing IMO. Also they are rear ported which makes things difficult in smaller rooms. CMS 65 are way better for mixing and listening in general (again - IMO), I had them for about 2 years and recently switched to Focal Trio 6 BE.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I have a small yet treated room and I own a pair of klasiks. They are the most accurate speaker ive ever heard. I however, have not personally owned the cms65s but my mixes translate flawlessly every time.

How I get it sounding in my studio is exactly how it translates every where else. The sounds are super tight and un-hyped imo. Very natural/neutral sounding speaker. Maybe your room doesnt play very nice with them cause they're the most phenomenal well rounded speaker I've ever heard(in the that price range). Again, havent used the cms65, but I've heard a lot of speakers including the a77x by adams and I think my klasik sound about as good for a fraction of the cost.

35hz to 25khz with a +- of 2db. They are insanely accurate for a full range speaker. No sub required. I personally don't like subs given that they require so much tinkering and almost always give you some kind of phasing issues.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonez View Post
Ok thanks for the feedback.

The Focal CMS 65 seems like great speakers and I have a few buddies with them, my only concern is a few people including my friend says it can be a little harsh in the highs. What do you think about that? They are very detailed sounding. Most people say I should just keep my Adam A7x's because of how flat they are in highs, but I can't get a good mix out of the Adam's period. So maybe I need to consider the Neumann kh120a and or just try out the Focal CMS and just return them if I don't like them.
I had Adams A7X for about a year back in 2011 and I agree with you about their sound. For me they were very fatiguing, had piercing highs, gave me headaches. CMS65 OTOH are not harsh at all, I could work on them all day, with great results.

If A7X are not working for you than APS Klasik probably won't too (similar, scooped low mids, bump in higher midrange and highs but less fatiguing), but the best thing to do is try for yourself Happy hunting!
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLOSONIX View Post
I had Adams A7X for about a year back in 2011 and I agree with you about their sound. For me they were very fatiguing, had piercing highs, gave me headaches. CMS65 OTOH are not harsh at all, I could work on them all day, with great results.

If A7X are not working for you than APS Klasik probably won't too (similar, scooped low mids, bump in higher midrange and highs but less fatiguing), but the best thing to do is try for yourself Happy hunting!
You are right. They are killing my ears and very fatiguing. Piercing is exactly the word I've described as well. I've suffered migraines and have tinnitus worse then ever now using the Adams. It's time to move on.

They don't sell APS Klasik in the states, so I would be going in blindfolded on this purchase. Maybe not a good idea, but I can get the Focal CMS or Neumann KH from guitar center and return them if not happy. I hear nothing, but great things from both speakers. People say the Focals are more colored than the neumann's, but they both translate well. Whichever are easier to listen to for longer periods of time and less fatiguing is where I should probably start.
Old 8th March 2017
rds
Gear Addict

Quote:
You are right. They are killing my ears and very fatiguing. Piercing is exactly the word I've described as well. I've suffered migraines and have tinnitus worse then ever now using the Adams. It's time to move on.

They don't sell APS Klasik in the states, so I would be going in blindfolded on this purchase. Maybe not a good idea, but I can get the Focal CMS or Neumann KH from guitar center and return them if not happy. I hear nothing, but great things from both speakers. People say the Focals are more colored than the neumann's, but they both translate well. Whichever are easier to listen to for longer periods of time and less fatiguing is where I should probably start.

You should indeed give a try to the KLasik, most people who listen to them never looked back. I should as well receive a pair in the incoming days.

You should contact Ray from APS and try to get a way to listen to the Klasik, APS guys are very kind and helpful.

Here his contact mail : [email protected]
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

I've only had my Klasiks for a few days now, but I don't find them hyped at all. I would describe them as revealing. I listened to a handful of bands yesterday, like Snarky Puppy, Jacob Collier, Connect.Ohm, and handful of others. I noticed a lot of small details with these speakers, everything sounded nice, but these speakers will let you hear what's going on in a mix. Low end was clean, and separation was nice down there. But if there was saturation added to a kick or synth, you hear it easily. Highend was the same way, cymbals and horns didn't sound harsh at all in the mixes I had going, but I was hearing more mouth noises than before.

I have the tweeters set at -1.5 for now. I'm letting them break in more and so I get used to the aluminum tweeter. Bass is left in extended mode, haven't messed with that. I want to mix on them for a month or two so that I am really used to them.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds View Post
You should indeed give a try to the KLasik, most people who listen to them never looked back. I should as well receive a pair in the incoming days.

You should contact Ray from APS and try to get a way to listen to the Klasik, APS guys are very kind and helpful.

Here his contact mail : [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrick View Post
I've only had my Klasiks for a few days now, but I don't find them hyped at all. I would describe them as revealing. I listened to a handful of bands yesterday, like Snarky Puppy, Jacob Collier, Connect.Ohm, and handful of others. I noticed a lot of small details with these speakers, everything sounded nice, but these speakers will let you hear what's going on in a mix. Low end was clean, and separation was nice down there. But if there was saturation added to a kick or synth, you hear it easily. Highend was the same way, cymbals and horns didn't sound harsh at all in the mixes I had going, but I was hearing more mouth noises than before.

I have the tweeters set at -1.5 for now. I'm letting them break in more and so I get used to the aluminum tweeter. Bass is left in extended mode, haven't messed with that. I want to mix on them for a month or two so that I am really used to them.

THANK YOU! Finally backup has arrived lol. Klasik's are amazing tools. They are the best studio speakers I have ever used.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Nut

Another satisfied user of the Klasiks here.
I'd certainly not trade them for the Focal CSM.
To my ears, the Klasiks have great low end,but no way is it a hyped low end. It's a very controlled sound. I find them to be a great balanced set of speakers that have impressive clarity. I consider them top notch mixing speakers.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:

We actually just set up Sound Pure as a dealer for APS last week. You could buy from them. I could also set up a trial for you directly from here if you are interested. I have a demo set in the USA right now.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Head

This is great to hear. All this Klasik feedback from you guys is making me excited and want a listen now! My only problem is I live in Denver, Colorado and there is no retail seller here after searching. Same thing with the Amphion One's, no retailer. So I'm defiantly interested in the APS Klasik. Hmm would be nice to hear them if I could.

So from you Klasik owners. I'd like to hear about how they translate when mixing. Any fatigue from long usage? I can't stand a super bright sound in the highs, I have pretty bad tinnitus so they need to be pleasant. Also do you think these would be a good monitor for mixing dance music? I know some of you above said you just got them and are still breaking them in. Give me an update on these when you can. I want to know all the details. Especially if I have to make a blind purchase.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:
This is great to hear. All this Klasik feedback from you guys is making me excited and want a listen now! My only problem is I live in Denver, Colorado and there is no retail seller here after searching. Same thing with the Amphion One's, no retailer. So I'm defiantly interested in the APS Klasik. Hmm would be nice to hear them if I could.

So from you Klasik owners. I'd like to hear about how they translate when mixing. Any fatigue from long usage? Also do you think these would be a great tool for mixing dance music? I know some of you above said you just got them and are still breaking them in. Give me an update on these when you can. I want to know all the details. Especially if I have to make a blind purchase.
Take a look at the review from prostudioreviews on them. They commented that they work quite well for dance especially. Some of the guys from Germano Studios also use them. It would be quite easy to get a demo set sent to you in Colorado so there's no need to buy blind! We have been in the process of setting up more dealers, but nothing in the Colorado area right now.
Old 9th March 2017
Quote:

So from you Klasik owners. I'd like to hear about how they translate when mixing. Any fatigue from long usage? I can't stand a super bright sound in the highs, I have pretty bad tinnitus so they need to be pleasant. Also do you think these would be a good monitor for mixing dance music? I know some of you above said you just got them and are still breaking them in. Give me an update on these when you can. I want to know all the details. Especially if I have to make a blind purchase.
I did a 14 hour mix session. I have tinnitus in both ears and am very sensitive to high frequencies. I could of kept going but I needed this thing called "sleep"
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear

Hi I'm an Adam A5x user. I know what you mean about getting fatigued quickly with these monitors. I think it's caused by the ribbon tweeter. About two years ago I just lifted the speakers and rather than pointing them directly at my ears they are pointed behind me. This has helped me a lot!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 9th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabygab View Post
Hi I'm an Adam A5x user. I know what you mean about getting fatigued quickly with these monitors. I think it's caused by the ribbon tweeter. About two years ago I just lifted the speakers and rather than pointing them directly at my ears they are pointed behind me. This has helped me a lot!

Just my 2 cents.
Yes I just read a discussion about lifting the Adams up and spacing them apart further. I need a new desk or speaker stands before I could even attempt this.

I still don't think it's going to help mixing and translation. The mid range is lacking and reverb trails are poor. It's also hard to notice changes when applying compression or saturation. They just aren't very true or revealing to me.

Thanks for your reply
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is great to hear. All this Klasik feedback from you guys is making me excited and want a listen now! My only problem is I live in Denver, Colorado and there is no retail seller here after searching. Same thing with the Amphion One's, no retailer.
Wind Over The Earth is an Amphion dealer. Not in Denver, but close...

dB
Old 11th March 2017
Here for the gear

Just to add about the Adams, they are not as forgiving as other monitors. They sounded sweet only if you have a matching DAC. I have the Adam A7X, A5X, and Neumann KH120A and used them for a desktop speaker and not for mixing. The Adams produced cleaner sound with better instrument separation. So this is one area to think about - the DAC.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut
I've been using the klasiks for a few months now, and they are truly a professional quality monitor. I wouldn't trade them for any other monitor that's worth even twice as much. Very accurate and trustworthy all the way down to about 50hz, without any scooped or hyped sound. I have the treble switch set to neutral, where I think it is a perfect balance. It's true that these speakers don't need a sub. Considering that they're just 7" woofers, I was very skeptical of the reviews that claimed this, but with the extended bass option selected, it's true. I think the amplifier compensates for the natural roll off of the bass, and the speakers handle it nicely.
Old 9th April 2017
Just want to chime in and share my experience with the Klasik's. I demo'ed a pair yesterday and bought them on the spot. I am coming from neumann kh120a and needed more bass as i make electronic music, but i didn't want to sacrifice the high or midrange quality i got used to with the 120's and i didn't want to buy a sub as i don't have the space and room for it.

Let me just start off by saying i have owned quite a few speakers in the past, yamaha hs80, dynaudio bm6a mk1, focal sm9 and the most recently up for sale neumann kh120a's. First things first, the stereo field on the Klasik's is simply astonishing! i can perceive where the sounds are a lot better than the 120's and they have the front and back depth which the 120's lack, to me they are definitely on another level!
A while ago i remember demoing Barefoot mm25 speakers, and remember i was blown away by their instrument separation and depth...upon listening to the Klasiks they instantly reminded me of the barefoots. I also listened to a pair of aeon's and they have similar sound signature but obviously a much bigger sound, price tag and physical size.

I am really satisfied with the Klasiks, they definitely are a step up from 120's, and i haven't even started burning them in yet!
Old 9th April 2017
rds
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
I also listened to a pair of aeon's and they have similar sound signature but obviously a much bigger sound, price tag and physical size.
Could you provide more info about your comparison of those two monitors ? and what you like or dislike in both of them ?
Old 10th April 2017
Quote:
Could you provide more info about your comparison of those two monitors ? and what you like or dislike in both of them ?
Sorry i can't give an extended review, as i only spent a few minutes listening to the Aeons.
I didn't really do a direct comparison either as i wasn't even considering the Aeon's becuase of their size, but from what i did hear, it seems the Aeons sounded much larger and they definitely can push out more air and effortlessly but with the same level of detail, depth and imaging as the Klasiks. (at least to me)

Maybe someone else can chime in who has used both extensively?
Old 10th April 2017
rds
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
Sorry i can't give an extended review, as i only spent a few minutes listening to the Aeons.
I didn't really do a direct comparison either as i wasn't even considering the Aeon's becuase of their size, but from what i did hear, it seems the Aeons sounded much larger and they definitely can push out more air and effortlessly but with the same level of detail, depth and imaging as the Klasiks. (at least to me)

Maybe someone else can chime in who has used both extensively?
thanks for the feedback
Old 21st April 2017
rds
Gear Addict

Did you guys notice any difference during your break-in time period or the monitors sound the same as day one for you ?
Old 21st April 2017
Quote:
Did you guys notice any difference during your break-in time period or the monitors sound the same as day one for you ?
I think generally they will just open up a bit and sound more full.
Old 22nd April 2017
The top end smooths out on them, and the low end you get more warmth and extension. On Klasiks, the break-in time is shorter than the other models, but still does require some break-in time to really sing.
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Head

I may end up getting some Klasiks at some point this year if I feel I could use the extra reference. After lots of reviewing I did decide to get the Amphion's over APS. Yes I know there is hype train about them here, but it's not just gearslutz that has great things to say. Pretty much everywhere I've looked.

Although I think it would be nice to have something with great image and a little more SPL for showing off. Oh and just around $1000 for the pair, not bad at all.

Do any Klasik users experience any port shuffling at higher volume? rds you've had yours for a little time now, how do you like them?
Old 22nd April 2017
rds
Gear Addict

Quote:
I may end up getting some Klasiks at some point this year if I feel I could use the extra reference. After lots of reviewing I did decide to get the Amphion's over APS. Yes I know there is hype train about them here, but it's not just gearslutz that has great things to say. Pretty much everywhere I've looked.

Although I think it would be nice to have something with great image and a little more SPL for showing off. Oh and just around $1000 for the pair, not bad at all.

Do any Klasik users experience any port shuffling at higher volume? rds you've had yours for a little time now, how do you like them?
Thanks for replies guys,

Tonez,

About port shuffling i don't know, i didn't crank them up yet, i'm still break-in them a bit. I just received them this thuesday so not has really time to make any real opinions about them and the reason is that i have to purchase an analog volume controller because right now with my interface i got some issues in that regards. See my related post here :

Should i use an analog level monitor control to keep the signal cleaner ?

Once i'll get the volume controller i'll do more extensive listening tests.

The only thing for now that i can say about those monitors is that for their size they don't fear the abyss of the low spectrum !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search