The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
APS Klasik - anyone use them?
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head
Hi there!

I'm really not sure about which series I got. I didn't pay attention too much with serial numbers, sadly.
My pair comes from http://www.studio-guys.nl/ , a shop from the Netherlands.
Probably they are also able to tell you something about the Klasiks and their production series. They even tested my current pair before they sent it to me. I'd suggest you write to them.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciekkk123 View Post
Hi Ajdeboer, I'm about to order APS Klasiks and as I live in Dublin, Ireland, (where we have no APS monitors) I'll have to order them from some other European country - What is your "production series"?

or how to check it that it will be from "different production series", so I will save my self from hassle of sending Pair of Speakers back and forth across the sea and pay for it..

also where did you get (shop name and country) the working correctly pair of APS Klasiks?
Old 9th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdeboer View Post
Hi there!

I'm really not sure about which series I got. I didn't pay attention too much with serial numbers, sadly.
My pair comes from http://www.studio-guys.nl/ , a shop from the Netherlands.
Probably they are also able to tell you something about the Klasiks and their production series. They even tested my current pair before they sent it to me. I'd suggest you write to them.

Good luck!
Thank you Ajdeboer
Old 10th July 2019
Here for the gear

Question about Highs/Top end to the APS Klasik Users (not APS sellers/dealers).

I can't find APS Klasik online sound demo or A/B/C comparisons made with two proper measurements microphones in stereo, in treated space.. but I still found few videos.. and would like your opinion on high frequency and if these recordings somehow represent characteristics of APS Klasiks highs?

I'm trying to figure out if the highs of Klasiks - the area of hihats, cymbals, synths highs and top end, air, space, reverbs, etc..
Is it clear, neutral and has good separation of sounds or has some kind of artificial flavor-"digitally sounding" or "filtered through paper/metal like", too bright sound added to them via tweeter material/construction?

In these recordings to my ears for eg. hihats sounds "splashed/sprayed" and a bit artificial, not precise, not separated from other instruments or natural.. "bright", but not "open"..

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=328163281175300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ui1WPAYXS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc1gNCktWOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWxlCSyl2hI

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1487771367937560

Beside tweeter frequency spectrum, I like what I hear, even in these kind of recordings, somehow I can hear their fullness in lows, low mids, mids..
This part of frequency spectrum to my ears is more on the natural/neutral side and doesn't have digital flavor added to it as many monitors have..
There is a bit of color to my ears, which I would describe as "matt" or "dark"..

Last edited by Maciekkk123; 16th July 2019 at 11:37 AM..
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciekkk123 View Post
Question about Highs/Top end to the APS Klasik Users (not APS sellers/dealers).

I can't find APS Klasik online sound demo or A/B/C comparisons made with two proper measurements microphones in stereo, in treated space.. but I still found few videos.. and would like your opinion on high frequency and if these recordings somehow represent characteristics of APS Klasiks highs?

I'm trying to figure out if the highs of Klasiks - the area of hihats, cymbals, synths highs and top end, air, space, reverbs, etc..
Is it clear, natural, neutral and has good separation of sounds or has some kind of artificial flavor-"digitally sounding" or "filtered through paper/metal like", too bright sound added to them via tweeter material/construction?

In these recordings to my ears for eg. hihats sounds "splashed/sprayed" and a bit artificial, not precise, not separated from other instruments or natural.. "bright", but not "open"..

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=328163281175300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ui1WPAYXS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc1gNCktWOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWxlCSyl2hI

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1487771367937560

Beside tweeter frequency spectrum, I like what I hear, even in these kind of recordings, somehow I can hear their fullness in lows, low mids, mids..
This part of frequency spectrum to my ears is more on the natural/neutral side and doesn't have digital flavor added to it as many monitors have..
There is a bit of color to my ears, which I would describe as "matt" or "dark"..
TBH imo you can't really tell how a speaker sounds by listening to a speaker that played a specific audio file, was recorded in a specific room, through a specific microphone, through specific converters, through the file conversion process, through youtube algorithms, out via your converters, played through your speakers, into your specific room's acoustic environment (or your headphones). This is also probably why you aren't seeing many recordings of the "sound".

It's just not going to really give you a good accurate idea of what the speaker sounds like because there are too many variables altering the sound. If you have an opportunity to listen to it in your room that's really the only thing you can do.

Anyways I thought the highs were very clear and defined. Everything occupied it's own acoustic space, and it didn't sound piercing or anything like that. The phantom center was very impressive as well.

You can also cut the highs as well to dull the sound if you think they're too bright. Personally I think they were slightly too bright and cut the highs by a notch using the switch on the back. That level sounded perfect to me.

Last edited by rodan; 10th July 2019 at 06:20 PM..
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodan View Post
Anyways I thought the highs were very clear and defined. Everything occupied it's own acoustic space, and it didn't sound piercing or anything like that. The phantom center was very impressive as well.

I agree very much with this. I have the Focal Shape Twins and APS Aeons (first gen.), and when I switch- the Aeons disappear and the sound moves to the center of my console. Both are great speakers, but the the APS- it does feel like the sound is coming from elsewhere, and I'm able to place elements much easier across the stereo spread.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

I've had the Klasiks for about a year.
About a year before that, I had the Neumann 120s.

I was very satisfied with the APS as soon as I set them up.
In fact, I haven't even thought about it since then.
Old 13th July 2019
Here for the gear
Hi! I received my klasiks for about 2 weeks now and so far i am very happy with them. They sound very natural, bright but not harsh. My room is not treated but the difference in sound between the klasiks and my old monitors (mackie mr 5 mk2) is huge. In extended mode the go very low but still not boomy. It’s just like a sub is playing with them. But in this mode the midrange lose some definition. Didn’t have the distortion issue at moderate levels (about 80db). No hiss, sitting about 1 meter from them.
I didn’t hear other monitors in this price range so i can’t tell that they are the best or the worst, but i found them to be a very good choice for a “bedroom producer”. I’m enjoying working with them and just listening music. And at least for now, i’m not considering buying a subwoofer to check the lowend. About mix translation: i need more time to get used to them but i can say that it takes me much less time to get a mix done in comparison with my old monitors. With some room treatement i think they will get even better.
Thanks to everyone who helped me make this choice.
Btw the representative of aps in my country was very kind and helpful. Answered all my questions and did a great job to get the monitors to me as fast as possible.
Old 15th July 2019
I've teste APS Klasiks extensively last week. Very solid, yet natural & neutral bass (my main studio room is well prepared acoustically though), easy to listen and to mix, very widespread, selective mids, but upper mids ang highs... Yeah, these were the reason I sent them back.

Previously I mixed lots of documentary film/tv work using a pair of Adam A7X, when it came more to music, they seemed not enough in the low end of spectrum, plus they tend to hide the mids significantly (which is a good feature when mixing for tv or cinema - your dialogues will never be inaudible, always upfront and fully expressed).

APS performed better than Adams in the lows and mids, but the upper range was quite unacceptable for me. I lacked clarity, definition, I found them reacting to EQ-ing with some kind of neglect, they made my mixing decisions there hard to make. They weren't too bright, they weren't too dim, they were just weird and unresponsive. Yes, I burned them in for 20+ hours, yes, my room is well treated.

If you like to play things louder, beware, they are more of a quiet type, the bass port chokes easily, too. Make them really nearfield (max 1 meter), this is where they feel best.

Anyway, they let me finish my new, rather complicated and rather bass-oriented (starting around 40 Hz) musical mix, which was quite impossible on Adams.

I returned them and went for Eves SC208 when I heard them in shop. I can still return them, but hope to get really good results. Just in case, I keep my other options like Shape 65 or Hedd Type 07 still open...

Cheers!
Old 18th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveuho View Post
I returned them and went for Eves SC208 when I heard them in shop. I can still return them, but hope to get really good results. Just in case, I keep my other options like Shape 65 or Hedd Type 07 still open...

Cheers!
What’s your opinion of the Eves so far?
Old 20th July 2019
I'll start testing them on Monday, I'll let you know!
Old 25th July 2019
From Eves back to APS

So, my Eves arrived yesterday. 5 minutes of listening gave me the proper lesson that my control room is small and Eves 208 are big. The bass exploded and the room could not hold its energy, period. Returned them the same day, though I could sense somehow they were really, really noble.

I wanted to hunt for Focal Shape 65s, but the distributor said they were temporarily out of stock here in Poland, so I went back to Klasiks.

I did a couple of things to make them perform better:

- placed them approx. 25 cm closer than my previous Adam A7X,
- measured the room with REW, then engaged EQ on my DBX output processor, re-measured the room.

The measurement gave me results I could already hear, bumps around 4 and 14 kHz, probably more equipment reflections than the speakers themselves. Had nothing like that with Adams, but their tweeter behaved differently, giving a very narrow sweetspot, when Klasiks have broaden the sweetspot and highs propagation.

Anyway, some manual EQ work brought them where they sould be and yes - they started performing really, really well. And I can definitely feel a difference in quality when have jumped from A7X. I can make my mixing process efficient in higher frequencies, this is also a matter of learning them a bit I suppose.

So, I'm a new happy Klasik user here. I would have gone for Aeons 2 if I could, but I don't really want to spend that much on nearfield monitoring.

Just to give you a glimpse of my room - measurements attached. Waterfall indicates weird rumbles below 35 Hz, these are probably remnants of heavy drilling from a nearby construction yard, very low pitched wall resonances appearing periodically.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
APS Klasik - anyone use them?-klasik_rew.jpg   APS Klasik - anyone use them?-klasik_wat.jpg  
Old 16th August 2019
After a month of using Klasiks

Ok, so I'm getting close to my first full month with APS Klasiks and after that time I can definitely say more, if anybody is interested.

Klasiks are just amazing, their greatest strenghts for me are:

1. Extensive, yet really precise bass, helps a lot when working on IDM/EDM tracks; I believe that bass reproduction puts Klasiks just in top league,
2. Wonderful, precise, deep mids with beautiful imaging; this is what I lacked in my Adam A7X's, Klasiks blow them away here; I discovered so much more detail and experienced a major improvement in my mixes and other works: voice-overs, vocals, sound design,
3. Translation, translation, translation - yes, they do translate very well; when working on Adams, I sometimes felt dumb, hopefully I'm not that dumb, just a monitors' case.
3. They sound natural, balanced, the don't tire your ears,
4. They have a wide sweet spot. What a change after Adams, which tend to behave like friggin' laser beams...

If they are flawed anywhere, I bet highs - they are not too responsive to eq-ing sometimes, but still - my work translates and sounds very good. They also tend to perform best on lower volumes, but this is my healthy practice for years, not to work too loud, so actually - another advantage, protection of your hearing

If you are thinking about more than solid nearfield solution, think no more, get APS Klasiks!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
A quick question from someone who just bought a fresh, brand spankin' new pair from Sam Ash: Do units shipped and sold by authorized retailers in the US require an adapter for US 110V/60Hz power? I noticed the 230V rating in one of the reviews online and I am wondering if this will require a travel power converter to go along with it.

EDIT: Nope! This video review shows otherwise at the linked timestamp. The sticker is obscured but I can definitely make out the "1" in "110V" on the label in the back. Whew!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifihedgehog View Post
A quick question from someone who just bought a fresh, brand spankin' new pair from Sam Ash: Do units shipped and sold by authorized retailers in the US require an adapter for US 110V/60Hz power? I noticed the 230V rating in one of the reviews online and I am wondering if this will require a travel power converter to go along with it.

EDIT: Nope! This video review shows otherwise at the linked timestamp. The sticker is obscured but I can definitely make out the "1" in "110V" on the label in the back. Whew!
APS make you go through their resellers. If youre in NA, youll get NA voltage.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search