The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
APS Klasik - anyone use them? Studio Monitors
Old 5th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
Had the Klasik for a while, fantastic sound but mine distorted quite quickly specially when designing kick drums, (I produce dance music) so ended up sending them back, and got Eve sc208. What an amazing monitor, if you are searching for a cheap extremely capable and LINEAR monitor get an Eve sc207 or sc208. They outperform anything I've used in the same price range, they sound accurate but not dry, so you can work on them all the day long without fatigue. I've used Dynaudio, Adam, Focal, Genelecs, Aps, Yamaha but the Eve are better more balanced and engaging without colouring or misleading your judgement. At their price range I can see it very difficult to outperform them, the only monitors I'd go for (more expensive, and with less freq/range) are the neumann amazing mixing tools, but the eves offer more for less money.
May i ask how big is your studio/control room? and how far your listening distance is? The Klasik's are really meant for smaller spaces (bedrooms, small studios) and not designed for mid field listening positions or larger rooms.

I have heard good things about the EVE's, but as i have heard Adam ribbon tweeter and Samson Rubicon in the past, and having owned SM9's as well with their Beryllium inverted tweeter, i tend to prefer either soft dome or the Klasik's titanium as they sound more natural to me. Something about the high end on ribbons feels quite bright or "pushed" and kind of artificial to my ears. I just think this is inherent on Ribbons and Beryllium tweets.

I had the Neumann's set up side by side The Klasik's in my room... all i can say is that i sold my Neumann's after that listening test. Klasik's are better in every regard. No competition there, the Neumann's sound kind of boxy next to the Klasik's and missing the lower octaves. Stereo image and tonal balance is also better on the Klasik's.

The Klasik's overall tonal balance are better than most monitors in their price range and i would also say higher as well. Of course that's in my room and my ears, in my listening position so it's all IMHO.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
May i ask how big is your studio/control room? and how far your listening distance is? The Klasik's are really meant for smaller spaces (bedrooms, small studios) and not designed for mid field listening positions or larger rooms.

I have heard good things about the EVE's, but as i have heard Adam ribbon tweeter and Samson Rubicon in the past, and having owned SM9's as well with their Beryllium inverted tweeter, i tend to prefer either soft dome or the Klasik's titanium as they sound more natural to me. Something about the high end on ribbons feels quite bright or "pushed" and kind of artificial to my ears. I just think this is inherent on Ribbons and Beryllium tweets.

I had the Neumann's set up side by side The Klasik's in my room... all i can say is that i sold my Neumann's after that listening test. Klasik's are better in every regard. No competition there, the Neumann's sound kind of boxy next to the Klasik's and missing the lower octaves. Stereo image and tonal balance is also better on the Klasik's.

The Klasik's overall tonal balance are better than most monitors in their price range and i would also say higher as well. Of course that's in my room and my ears, in my listening position so it's all IMHO.
Hi my triangle is 1.5mt my room decently treated is around 24 sq/mt...
Indeed I believe the klasiks are a bit small for that room but the kicks distorted around 80db spl measured with a smartphone, and this happened with different pairs of klasiks, but again their sound is great if they had a better spl tollerance or my room was smaller I would have kept them for their sound.
The Eves have a well behaved ribbon twitter it stops at 21khz and the DSP does an amazing job controlling the linearity and distortions.
Also I have the 8" model with a generous amp 150w + 50W really I find them amazing for their price and their ribbon is TOTALLY different from Adams and such not as sharp... I hated the adams and the focals for that reason too.
The neumann I find them amazing in translation, very sterile but good monitors, I 've used the KH310 at a friend's studio and I love them, but too expensive for my pocket. I'd probably try to get the eves sc307, a good producer I know told me that are fantastic and under 2000euros for a high quality 3way is a good price. One thing the eves looks ugly but it sounds great, give it a try if you can I had the chance to try them in my studio, and I felt in love straight away...
Old 5th April 2018
Quote:
Hi my triangle is 1.5mt my room decently treated is around 24 sq/mt...
Indeed I believe the klasiks are a bit small for that room but the kicks distorted around 80db spl measured with a smartphone, and this happened with different pairs of klasiks, but again their sound is great if they had a better spl tollerance or my room was smaller I would have kept them for their sound.
The Eves have a well behaved ribbon twitter it stops at 21khz and the DSP does an amazing job controlling the linearity and distortions.
Also I have the 8" model with a generous amp 150w + 50W really I find them amazing for their price and their ribbon is TOTALLY different from Adams and such not as sharp... I hated the adams and the focals for that reason too.
The neumann I find them amazing in translation, very sterile but good monitors, I 've used the KH310 at a friend's studio and I love them, but too expensive for my pocket. I'd probably try to get the eves sc307, a good producer I know told me that are fantastic and under 2000euros for a high quality 3way is a good price. One thing the eves looks ugly but it sounds great, give it a try if you can I had the chance to try them in my studio, and I felt in love straight away...
Yeah, speakers are very personal. They are very room dependant and could sound terrible in one and amazing in another.
A lot of professional studio monitors have a linear response when measured in an anechoic chamber with around +-3 or +-2 tollerances which is pretty linear. If your not getting uniform sound from pro monitors, 9 times out of 10 it's the room and speaker placement. standing waves, nulls, echo flutter etc. The dsp in the EVE's is just a digital EQ or filter if you will, that's it. It's not keeping the frequency linear for in you room. For that you would need to take measurements with a Omni directional microphone and apply EQ of your own or get something like room EQ wizard or sonarworks to improve the above issues.
Dsp does not do anything for distortion either. That is handled by speaker design, mainly the amplifier. The Klasik don't add distortions, at least they never did when I owned them. What you may be hearing is inherent distortion or digital clipping. They have ultra low distortion levels if you look at their specs.

I can vouch for them having a constricted and compressed sound from around
85db and up but this is the power handling as 75w+75w amps won't shake your room.

I won't be purchasing monitors for a long long time, just recently scored a good deal on a trade in for my Klasik's and ended up with a pair of APS Aeon 2's. They are higher price (€3300) but they are on a whole other level. So far this is my favourite speaker, i have nothing but praise for them. In my room, they sound better than any speaker I have tried. These are going to be my main speakers for a very long time.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
Yeah, speakers are very personal. They are very room dependant and could sound terrible in one and amazing in another.
A lot of professional studio monitors have a linear response when measured in an anechoic chamber with around +-3 or +-2 tollerances which is pretty linear. If your not getting uniform sound from pro monitors, 9 times out of 10 it's the room and speaker placement. standing waves, nulls, echo flutter etc. The dsp in the EVE's is just a digital EQ or filter if you will, that's it. It's not keeping the frequency linear for in you room. For that you would need to take measurements with a Omni directional microphone and apply EQ of your own or get something like room EQ wizard or sonarworks to improve the above issues.
Dsp does not do anything for distortion either. That is handled by speaker design, mainly the amplifier. The Klasik don't add distortions, at least they never did when I owned them. What you may be hearing is inherent distortion or digital clipping. They have ultra low distortion levels if you look at their specs.

I can vouch for them having a constricted and compressed sound from around
85db and up but this is the power handling as 75w+75w amps won't shake your room.

I won't be purchasing monitors for a long long time, just recently scored a good deal on a trade in for my Klasik's and ended up with a pair of APS Aeon 2's. They are higher price (€3300) but they are on a whole other level. So far this is my favourite speaker, i have nothing but praise for them. In my room, they sound better than any speaker I have tried. These are going to be my main speakers for a very long time.
Good to know APS did you justice, on my tests the klasik let me down on 2 different set ups, Dynaudio, Adam, Focal, Eve @ 85db never distorted a kick, the APS were farting like crazy, I mean 85db isn't that loud in my room btw 6x4mt. Also tried productions that I know sounds stellar and same again distortion and farting galore. Few other users had the same issues...Probably 75w are not enough and the round bass port are farting friendly... Design issues maybe...
Never said the DSP makes my room linear, but I know that it interacts with the power management of the digital amps unless I got it all wrong from EVE's website.
As you mentioned monitors are a personal thing also dependent on style of mixing and music produced.
For 3300euros I would go for the Neumann KH310 but never heard the Aeon2 so can't say much.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

Just received my custom Klasiks about a week ago. I don't tend to play them very loud but I have heard zero distortion up to 95 db on my spl meter. They are very accurate with excellent depth. My mixes are translating great so far despite just throwing them up on concrete blocks and not doing any measurements in REW.
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

2 month of usage. No problem with port noise.
The sound differs from my previous monitors (A7x, MSP7, VXT6) and brings more details in some unique way. Fantom center and localisation is very precise and "visual".

I cannot tell something about the eves, but klasik is better than a7x and more detailed than MSP7.

The low end is much more precise than dynaudio bm6 classic.

Klasik with cellulose woofers are unique among the other monitors. It could remind some hi-fi models, but the bass is quite fast.

I've done a few "blind" mix tests to edit the volume of the instrument in the mix. I've did it 5 times with the same(copied) tracks doing the rest between mixing. The volume difference was less than 0.2db in the resulted copies. I understand them very well.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Head
Distortion

I did experience the 'farting' sound too, and I'm just using my Klasiks for classical stuff. But those big pipe organs can get fat and low too.

I've had replaced my initial pair of Klasiks 2 times. My current pair is from a different production series and they don't have the 'farting' problem at all.

For now I'm very happy with my pair!
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdeboer View Post
I did experience the 'farting' sound too, and I'm just using my Klasiks for classical stuff. But those big pipe organs can get fat and low too.

I've had replaced my initial pair of Klasiks 2 times. My current pair is from a different production series and they don't have the 'farting' problem at all.

For now I'm very happy with my pair!
Finally one guy that had similar experience, I had 2 sets sent over by APS and both had heavy farting and didn't like LF sound design at all, early distortion etc.
Probably had 2 sets from same batch as yours...still not very acceptable IMHO, shame as their sound is great.
Using EVE monitors now and they sound fantastic, very smooth great image also bass is super tight, and handle high SPL like a dream.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Probably had 2 sets from same batch as yours...still not very acceptable IMHO, shame as their sound is great.
The service of the APS dealer where I've got my Klasiks was outstanding. They picked up my pair after listening to the problem and after the second pair they sent a pair which they had be listening to, to make sure it was fine.

As I've said before, I really like the sonic signature of these little monitors! This - proper - pair is really good!!
Old 19th April 2018
Here for the gear

Could you tell what level of the signal causes port noise issue if monitors have factory settings(+0db, extended bass). I'd like to check my pair.
Old 22nd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by devian View Post
Could you tell what level of the signal causes port noise issue if monitors have factory settings(+0db, extended bass). I'd like to check my pair.
With mine they started at around +95db for sub content 30hz and under. This is normal for any two way speakers that if you push them past spec, the port noise will be more noticeable. Just be aware that when you are using an iPhone or Android spl measurement app have a limitation of +85db and you will not get an accurate reading. one of the posters was claiming
that he thought that they were giving out @+85db, which just isn't the case... You need a proper spl meter or mic to get an accurate reading.
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Nut

If anyone is interested I am also selling my APS Klasik so I can afford to upgrade to the APS Aeon 2.

PM me for pictures and details.
Old 6th May 2018
So I sold my Klasik but someone out there should buy Rodan's Klasik. They're a phenomenal speaker for the price.
Old 11th May 2018
Yeah I agree.

I'm not ready to let them go.

I love those little bad boys.

Incredible sound for the price and the Customer service is stellar.
Old 11th June 2018
Here for the gear

Has anyone experience with APS Klasik and Eve sc207? Especially I am wondering how this speakers behave in large volumes and in large spaces. What happens with the spectrum balance and especially bass?

Nominally Klasik has 103 dB SPL and sc207 106, dB, so Eve should be louder. But what is reallity?

I know, that both are near field monitors, but I have plan to use them in unconventional way, in bigger space.

And a second question, how this monitors behavie with sub?
I heard, that sc 207 as a satelite, when it’s connected with Eve Audio TS sub, is more powerfull in mid and high range, because Eve TS has HP filter and woofer of satelites don’t have to work so much with low frequences.
But APS sub don’t have HP filter to satelites, so I can only change on satelites „bass extended” to „passive” or „Roll of”.
Old 13th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del_Gesu View Post
Has anyone experience with APS Klasik and Eve sc207? Especially I am wondering how this speakers behave in large volumes and in large spaces. What happens with the spectrum balance and especially bass?

Nominally Klasik has 103 dB SPL and sc207 106, dB, so Eve should be louder. But what is reallity?

I know, that both are near field monitors, but I have plan to use them in unconventional way, in bigger space.

And a second question, how this monitors behavie with sub?
I heard, that sc 207 as a satelite, when it’s connected with Eve Audio TS sub, is more powerfull in mid and high range, because Eve TS has HP filter and woofer of satelites don’t have to work so much with low frequences.
But APS sub don’t have HP filter to satelites, so I can only change on satelites „bass extended” to „passive” or „Roll of”.
Thats a great question.

I'd answer this question with some facts and experience with the APS Klasik.

The Roll-off, passive and extended are respectively cutting off like that:
APS Klasik - anyone use them?-klasik.jpg

In my experience, when set to extended, you get a pretty strong low experience at about 10 feet from the monitors. I know that's not much scientific but thats how I make my final mixes and they translate well on the low end.

Now, with your question. If you were to put a SUB10 from APS, you'd get to choose diofferent cutoff frequency of the sub. I assume you would be taking measurment for you to get the flattest response.

Here's the cutoff frequencies in the back of the SUB10:

APS Klasik - anyone use them?-aps-sub-10-4_1.jpg

I've tried quite a bunch of different monitors and I need to admit that a pair of minitors when you pass the 1K$ range is really just a question of preferences.

My Klasik might not be the widest nor the deepest sounding monitors but I believe they offer the best bang for the buck for a sub 1500$USD monitor pair.
Of course, that is my experience comparing with, after and or against most of the popular brand ( EVE, Focal, Adam to name a few) I've even tried the Equator which were a HUUUUUGE deception. One of the most horrible monitors I've ever tried. I felt ashamed for them.

The only one that made me cringe were the Sonodyne at my friend Studio.

They were very different monitors but everything seemed so unreal.....or real.
It's hard to explain.

Anyways.

There's only one way for you to find out what you really need.

TRY THEM BOTH.

Good thing, APS are so confident with their product that they will let you try them for a 2-3 week period. So just get in touch with them and let me know how it felt
Attached Thumbnails
APS Klasik - anyone use them?-aps-sub-10-4_1.jpg   APS Klasik - anyone use them?-klasik.jpg  
Old 26th June 2018
By setting the Klasiks to roll off, its actually designed to work with a sub in this manner. The sub10 having variable x-over actually gives you the flexibility of adjusting it based on placement in your room and room acoustics. Having a fixed crossover is great and all if you have all your drivers built into one unit, or are using them in anechoic, but in real experience, being able to adjust and adapt to each room is more useful on a sub.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search