The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus R65 vs Presonus R80 vs Adam A7X
Old 25th January 2017
Here for the gear
Presonus R65 vs Presonus R80 vs Adam A7X

Need a bit of help as I am looking at these 3 sets of monitors.

my room is quite small however I will be treating it.

Looking around I can get get either of the three sets for around £500.

Currently mixing a lot of Metal and Rock but want somthing that can is versatile and will last for some time.
Old 25th January 2017
I had an opportunity to evaluate the Presonus R80. I was quite impressed with their performance.

You can read about it here.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/
Old 26th January 2017
Here for the gear
Seems like a really good review and is making me think I should go for the Presonus. Just wonder how the compare to the Adam A7X.
Old 26th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1988 View Post
Seems like a really good review and is making me think I should go for the Presonus. Just wonder how the compare to the Adam A7X.
HI
I have the presonus R65 they are incredible monitors in opinion .The top end tweeters are very soft sounding and detailed the mids tight and focused.i tried them agains few Adams and Focal my friend had the Focals cms 65 and we both preferred the R65.Also like most monitors you need to burn them in for a few day
to get the best from them.I have them in a treated room on the end of a Rme babyface sounds great .I would have liked to compare them to the sceptres but my dealer didn't have them in stock.

Last edited by morgs500; 26th January 2017 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 15th February 2017
Here for the gear
Just to let you guy's know, I've ordered the Presonus R65's

I will report back once I've had the chance to give them a good run in and a good listen.
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgs500 View Post
HI
I have the presonus R65 they are incredible monitors in opinion .The top end tweeters are very soft sounding and detailed the mids tight and focused.i tried them agains few Adams and Focal my friend had the Focals cms 65 and we both preferred the R65.Also like most monitors you need to burn them in for a few day
to get the best from them.I have them in a treated room on the end of a Rme babyface sounds great .I would have liked to compare them to the sceptres but my dealer didn't have them in stock.
I also prefer the r65 over the adam a7x, im sending my adams back and keeping these bad boys. The adams did not sound very flat to me, there was something weird going on in the mids. The highs and the amount of detail where amazing though. Vocals and cymbals really came to live on the adams. But the low end isn't as tight as the r65 and I like the mid on the r65 better. Something I also noticed is that you don't have to crank the r65 to get an overal balanced sound.

The Adams aren't bad, but just not for me I guess.
You should consider the focal alpha 65 aswell, not as revealing as the adams or presonus but it has a great overal sound from top to bottom.
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Nut

What do you think about r65 in 4x4 meters - ok treated room, with bass traps and acoustics ?

Will I need a sub, or should I go for r80 ?

I'm making "deep medi" - bass heavy music
Old 19th November 2017
Here for the gear
PreSonus R65 value

Hi, I saw this post and thought I'd include my thoughts on the Presonus R65 speakers. I was in Brisbane last week and went into Store DJ to do some comparisons with similar speakers. I was hoping to hear the Sceptres as well but they were out of stock. I loaded some of my reference music which is a mix of Country, Blues and Rock and did an AB with the EVE SC 207 and Adam A7X.
For my money I found the R65s were not only the best price but also the most even sounding (in the mids) of the three. I have now set them up in my studio and have been listening to them for the past few days. I'll have a look at the rear panel settings once I settle into them but I've go to say that straight out of the box they sound great. Please keep in mind that a thumping kick drum is not my number one priority.
I've been using a pair of PreSonus E8s for the past few years and although I have been happy with them, I've found the imaging, depth and gorgeous top end of the R65s is a big step up.
Hope this is some help! Cheers, Lawrie
Old 4th December 2017
Gear Nut

Does the r80 (or r65) have enough low end for making bass heavy music (compared to other monitors like a7x, vxt8, hr824, bm5mkIII)

Wouldn't really ask if I really don't have to
Old 23rd March 2018
Here for the gear

Hey to all. I'm thinking about buying the Presonus R65, it's been more than a year since the topic was created, how do you work on them? Did the impression change? Somewhere I met information that despite the good sound, the quality of the materials they have is low. Is it so? Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to listen to them. Thank you and sorry for my English, this is Google translator
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teqman View Post
Hey to all. I'm thinking about buying the Presonus R65, it's been more than a year since the topic was created, how do you work on them? Did the impression change? Somewhere I met information that despite the good sound, the quality of the materials they have is low. Is it so? Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to listen to them. Thank you and sorry for my English, this is Google translator
Which materials are low quallity? The amps are hissing apart from that I don't know of any other issues with them.
They are great speakers if u are after ribbon speakers they are like cheaper eve audio version but not worst sounding I would say maybe more transparent then Eve.
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear
I’ve had the R65s for a few months now and they have really settled and I love how they sound.
I did an spl test and found them to be perfectly matched. I’m still running them flat. I think I need to spend more on my room before I spend any more money on speakers!
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrieMinson View Post
I’ve had the R65s for a few months now and they have really settled and I love how they sound.
I did an spl test and found them to be perfectly matched. I’m still running them flat. I think I need to spend more on my room before I spend any more money on speakers!
I regret not buying them got cheaper ribbons and they are good but the r65 are just great speakers very open and punchy
Old 11th August 2018
Here for the gear
Hi, just saw your reply. I now have the Sceptre S6 monitors as well. I would say the R65s still have a sweeter top end but man have the Sceptres got some punch! They are huge, in a good way!
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrieMinson View Post
Hi, just saw your reply. I now have the Sceptre S6 monitors as well. I would say the R65s still have a sweeter top end but man have the Sceptres got some punch! They are huge, in a good way!
Fluid fpx7 kinda will be competitor to the Sceptres.I love the transparency of the Sceptres tough they are great speakers.To be fair they are all great.I need some high end mains but I am lost. ...they are all good.Neumann was the one I think didn't kinda of have so happy sound.Very ruthless and clinical
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut

I had a chance to listen to Adam A7X and Presonus R65 in my studio. The R65 smokes A7X easily! Wonderful, warm mids, open, airy highs, punchy lows. In comparison A7X sounded very scooped in mids, had fake, boomy bass and overly bright highs (great detail though). Presonus R65 is an amazing speaker, can't believe it's only a little over half the price of Adams.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1988 View Post
Just to let you guy's know, I've ordered the Presonus R65's

I will report back once I've had the chance to give them a good run in and a good listen.
So, how did u like them?
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head

Adam A7X is way less veiled and more detail. Attenuate the bass on the back. The Adam X series and newer HEDD monitors kill all the undetailed Chinese AMT tweeters. The Adam have a deliberate sound that made from Chinese OEM driver monitors lack, but for detail, the reason Adam A7X is popular, the hissing Presonus and Emotiva AMT monitors are jokes.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
Adam A7X is way less veiled and more detail. Attenuate the bass on the back. The Adam X series and newer HEDD monitors kill all the undetailed Chinese AMT tweeters. The Adam have a deliberate sound that made from Chinese OEM driver monitors lack, but for detail, the reason Adam A7X is popular, the hissing Presonus and Emotiva AMT monitors are jokes.
Ok, so what do u recommend?
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
the hissing Presonus and Emotiva AMT monitors are jokes.
What hissing? My R65 stand about 1,3m from listening position and they are as hissy as my Focal Trio's (barely audible).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search