The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus R65 vs Presonus R80 vs Adam A7X
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune View Post
A/B may certainly have something to do with it. The Focal Shapes with A/B were definitely quieter than the Eves. Not that the Eve's are super loud, just noticable, when the Shapes weren't.

The price difference does make it a harder choice. Eve also have had their problems with reliability. I ran into a problem with one of their subs, where the power/control system went haywire. It was about a year in but under the dealers extended repair and replacement warranty so they changed it when I sent it back. I don't have Eve subs anymore and am about a year into the 207's with no problems so far. One of the speakers has no warranty as I got it cheap B-stock due to minor damage, but if that one goes I would probably just replace with a new one because they do work well for me. The onboard desk-eq dipping really helps in my room aswell!

Was encouraging to see that Eve mentioned in another thread on here that they have been improving things in design without bumping version numbers, so hopefully the newer stock is more reliable. From:any EVE AUDIO user out there ?

Anyway best of luck with your final choice!
Greatly appreciate your help!
Yesterday I checked out this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnlAgcC18-0 , with the EVE CEO Roland, got me even more interested in the brand. Seems like he's definitely very passionate about what he's doing.
There's also a thing that Steve Vai's audio engineer Greg Wurth uses SC307 in his studio (at least he did 4 years ago), and I'm a bit of Vai's fan so that's encouraging
If you don't mind me asking, do you do various types of production/listening on them? I'm doing TV stuff (promo/commercials) for a living, but also listening to music, mixing/producing in a wide variety of genres... I hope they're versatile enough to fit all that?
BTW I'm using AKG K702 headphones and love their wide stereo stage. I guess AMT tweeters give that wide imaging as well.
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianblack8 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, do you do various types of production/listening on them? I'm doing TV stuff (promo/commercials) for a living, but also listening to music, mixing/producing in a wide variety of genres... I hope they're versatile enough to fit all that?
BTW I'm using AKG K702 headphones and love their wide stereo stage. I guess AMT tweeters give that wide imaging as well.
Hobbyist electronic production, lots of listening to various genres! I prefer listening with the tweeter grilles on for ear comfort, but I do have them up close, and they pop off easily if you want to check the highs in all their ribbon glory

Can't speak to how suitable they would be for more guitar oriented stuff but suit electronic well. They have a kind of 'thick' sound in the lower-mids bit still sound tight enough to EQ around there. The on-board eq does help balance this aswell though. I also had the SC204 in for a while but this thick sound seemed to become more honky with them, so I'm happier with the larger 207's. Imaging is sharp and more so with the tweeter grilles off. I'd say the projection is slightly in front of the speakers.

Width wise: They seem pretty straight-forward/accurate to me. They don't sound exaggeratedly wide like Munrosonic Egg did. The Eggs imaged what seemed wider than the speakers but was be at the expense of what I'd call a sort of 'haze' around their image. On flip side they had a very clear lower mid and I sort of wish I'd kept them as a secondary set...

As I've started comparing some other speakers I've had, I may as well continue :

Focal Shape 50's were great to listen on particularly vocal stuff but in the end they just seemed confusing to me. I've read them described like 'esoteric HiFi' on here and I have to agree. They were very smooth but sounded slightly saturated. Also they push the upper mid range forward a lot but in a way that became dis-connected to the lower range and hard to balance. Also the bass was a bit wooley.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, another speaker you might be interesed in looking at is the APS Klasik 2020. I've not heard them myself but a lot of good reactions to them so far over here:

APS Klasik 2020

HTH
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hobbyist electronic production, lots of listening to various genres! I prefer listening with the tweeter grilles on for ear comfort, but I do have them up close, and they pop off easily if you want to check the highs in all their ribbon glory

Can't speak to how suitable they would be for more guitar oriented stuff but suit electronic well. They have a kind of 'thick' sound in the lower-mids bit still sound tight enough to EQ around there. The on-board eq does help balance this aswell though. I also had the SC204 in for a while but this thick sound seemed to become more honky with them, so I'm happier with the larger 207's. Imaging is sharp and more so with the tweeter grilles off. I'd say the projection is slightly in front of the speakers.

Width wise: They seem pretty straight-forward/accurate to me. They don't sound exaggeratedly wide like Munrosonic Egg did. The Eggs imaged what seemed wider than the speakers but was be at the expense of what I'd call a sort of 'haze' around their image. On flip side they had a very clear lower mid and I sort of wish I'd kept them as a secondary set...

As I've started comparing some other speakers I've had, I may as well continue :

Focal Shape 50's were great to listen on particularly vocal stuff but in the end they just seemed confusing to me. I've read them described like 'esoteric HiFi' on here and I have to agree. They were very smooth but sounded slightly saturated. Also they push the upper mid range forward a lot but in a way that became dis-connected to the lower range and hard to balance. Also the bass was a bit wooley.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, another speaker you might be interesed in looking at is the APS Klasik 2020. I've not heard them myself but a lot of good reactions to them so far over here:

APS Klasik 2020

HTH
Well I ended up ordering EVE's SC207 a few minutes ago! Should arrive within 2 weeks (but could take longer).
I've looked a bit into APS Klasik before, but somehow feel like EVE's are the way to go right now for me.
Thank you again for the help and replying!
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yesterday I checked out this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnlAgcC18-0 , with the EVE CEO Roland, got me even more interested in the brand. Seems like he's definitely very passionate about what he's doing.
There's also a thing that Steve Vai's audio engineer Greg Wurth uses SC307 in his studio (at least he did 4 years ago), and I'm a bit of Vai's fan so that's encouraging
Very impressive video. I learned a few things as well !
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well I ended up ordering EVE's SC207 a few minutes ago! Should arrive within 2 weeks (but could take longer).
I've looked a bit into APS Klasik before, but somehow feel like EVE's are the way to go right now for me.
Thank you again for the help and replying!
No probs, I'd say you made a good choice there!

They do take a bit of run-in time IME to get to their best but they're a very decent monitor once settled in.

Also I would recommend putting them on some solid stands with some isolators under them, which helps tighten up the bass. I preferred that to having them on (admittedly undersized) Isoacoustics which I tried aswell.

I see a lot of people talk about using Sorbothane hemispheres for isolation pads. You would need to work out the right weight bearing rating if using:

An inexpensive speaker tweak that works!

Personally I use Atacama Gel pads which seem to do a good job - just beware of the hyper-sticky glue on these, i.e. when you stick them to a stand make sure you have them in the right spot and not to any foam covering you don't want to damage on the stands etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atacama-Iso...3822279&sr=8-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Very impressive video. I learned a few things as well !

Agree! I saw that a while ago too, well worth a watch!
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No probs, I'd say you made a good choice there!

They do take a bit of run-in time IME to get to their best but they're a very decent monitor once settled in.

Also I would recommend putting them on some solid stands with some isolators under them, which helps tighten up the bass. I preferred that to having them on (admittedly undersized) Isoacoustics which I tried aswell.

I see a lot of people talk about using Sorbothane hemispheres for isolation pads. You would need to work out the right weight bearing rating if using:

An inexpensive speaker tweak that works!

Personally I use Atacama Gel pads which seem to do a good job - just beware of the hyper-sticky glue on these, i.e. when you stick them to a stand make sure you have them in the right spot and not to any foam covering you don't want to damage on the stands etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atacama-Iso...3822279&sr=8-5

Agree! I saw that a while ago too, well worth a watch!
Going to use them on stands which already have some rubber padding. Might do the job for now, but we'll see! Will look into the pads if necessary. Also my stands are located somewhere within 50 cm from the back wall, so should be ok with the rear ports, I assume.
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Going to use them on stands which already have some rubber padding. Might do the job for now, but we'll see! Will look into the pads if necessary. Also my stands are located somewhere within 50 cm from the back wall, so should be ok with the rear ports, I assume.
Sounds good! I think 50cm should be fine but you have the onboard EQ to refine it a bit if you need to. Also you might want to go back and re-adjust the EQ in a few weeks after speakers are settled in.

I found after attenuating the bass before, I could bring it back up with less boom + using the full cut in the Desk EQ. Ofc rooms and ears are all different, but it definitely helps to have the EQ options there.
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds good! I think 50cm should be fine but you have the onboard EQ to refine it a bit if you need to. Also you might want to go back and re-adjust the EQ in a few weeks after speakers are settled in.

I found after attenuating the bass before, I could bring it back up with less boom + using the full cut in the Desk EQ. Ofc rooms and ears are all different, but it definitely helps to have the EQ options there.
So, my pair arrived, rather quickly! Already testing a lot of music on them, and very happy; performing beyond expectations! Being able to hear details, transients, reverb tails and delays, quiet layered instruments to such extent is awesome I wasn't expecting its going to be that much of an upgrade but it really is!
Attached Thumbnails
Presonus R65 vs Presonus R80 vs Adam A7X-_dsc4625.jpg  
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So, my pair arrived, rather quickly! Already testing a lot of music on them, and very happy; performing beyond expectations! Being able to hear details, transients, reverb tails and delays, quiet layered instruments to such extent is awesome I wasn't expecting its going to be that much of an upgrade but it really is!
Great stuff!

Enjoy the upgrade! Always great re-discovering some music with the benefit of hearing all the extra details missing before.

Like I say they take a while to run in, but you should notice the midrange opening up and kicks particularly sounding more separated when they do.
Old 15th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Great stuff!

Enjoy the upgrade! Always great re-discovering some music with the benefit of hearing all the extra details missing before.

Like I say they take a while to run in, but you should notice the midrange opening up and kicks particularly sounding more separated when they do.
I really liked kick drums and basses right out of the box; they reach so much lower than my Rokits 6", too. But many people do say that breaking-in on monitors is a thing!
BTW, was listening to music today all day, in-between working, sometimes louder than I usually do, and no ear fatigue!
Can't get used to hearing new stuff in songs that i've been listening to for years (on different monitors and headphones), actual magic
This week I'm getting a newer interface (not an expensive one, though, PreSonus ioStation 24c, but they supposed to have pretty good converters), and I expect the sound to improve even a bit more!
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Yep, they don't sandpaper your ears at all!

You should definitely be able to tell any differences with your new interface too!

Quote:
I really liked kick drums and basses right out of the box; they reach so much lower than my Rokits 6", too. But many people do say that breaking-in on monitors is a thing!
I got more convinced that breaking in monitors was a thing when I ordered the second of two subs I used to have (TS107) a few months after the first. I was experimenting having them up close and noticed after time the phase of the second sub seemed to lock in better with the one I'd had been using for a while. Also seemed to match more in depth. Definitely noticable.

I've also seen some people say that it's not just the speakers that burn/break in, but the electronics in the amplifiers.

Either way, there's an interesting vid with an Adam rep here talking about the drivers being designed with burn in accounted for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41njGyHWHEk

Last edited by 4tune; 16th July 2020 at 07:51 PM..
📝 Reply