Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeacock View Post
Animal Farm. George Orwell. Literature.
Heavy Petting Zoo
Old 10th November 2018
lxm
Gear Addict

$350 mods for a $250 piece of gear leaves me scratching my head!
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

I was thinking about picking up an M73 from Revive Audio on eBay store, but now I'm thinking I should just do a BAE Dual 1073MP.

Also on the fence about a Chandler TG2 500 or JLM TG500.

Need a SCA J99B 1-shot too, but then again could use a RPQ2 500. I hate it when I have to make all of these decisions.

Old 5th February 2019
Here for the gear
Anyone have any experience with the m76 compared to something more expensive like Purple Audio's take on the 1176? I don't have anything like an 1176 yet. I'll be using it for vocals mostly.

Side note. I couldn't help but get irritated reading thru. When someone says they are done talking about something such as politics, you're very next words shouldn't be "well now that you mentioned that..." and continue on about it. No, I'm not the boss. But in general, for all of the intelligence some people try to show off, it seems super silly when those same people miss the vibes of very basic social interactions. This is GS not BS.
Old 7th February 2019
Here for the gear

Well, that certainly escalated quickly
Old 8th February 2019
mp3
Lives for gear

Soldier: I shed blood for you.
Lefty: I understand you think you did moron but no you actually didn't. But thanks anyway I guess. And I protested for you so you're welcome.
Righty: Better you than me moron, no way I wou... I mean that's awesome and you're great! Want a beer? Hope you can readjust and find a job! If not its your fault. Bye now!

There is no them. We're all royal pricks.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.H.U.D. View Post
Well, that certainly escalated quickly
No intentions of that. I use Revive modified equipment daily and it works and sounds great. I`m REALLY sorry I said anything if I knew it would turn into anything like this.
Old 9th February 2019
Here for the gear
Everything is all good Barcelona. Everyone was just giving their Revive experiences and so were you. I think there was a misunderstanding at one point but you made yourself clear afterwards and it should be cool now. The sudden odd focus on politics was what was most off base.

Meanwhile, I just want to hear more experiences and ask about Revive's Vintage Audio m76. How does it compare with a brand name 1176?

My personal experiences with Revive have been good so far by the way.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Thanks man. Im seriously tempted to get a HD I/O and have them mod it.
The HD I/O sounds pretty good to begin with! What do you feel it's lacking?
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
The HD I/O sounds pretty good to begin with! What do you feel it's lacking?
Not lacking anything tbh, just always looking to improve on things. I ended up getting black lion audio to do the HD I/O mod.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Don't know. I can only say that I have 3 pieces of Revive Audio molded gear and they do nice work.
Love them all.
I have a revive la4 mod and it's awesome
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

I have an M76. Had access to an early Purple 76 and a UA 6176 for a while, but that was years ago. I also have a Lindell 7x-500 now.

Wish I could do some direct comparisons... but no dice there. At least on the Purple/UA front...
Admittedly I haven’t gotten to use my M76 much at all, which is a bummer.

My initial impression is that it’s the most aggressive of all the units I’ve tried. I didn’t like the Purple at all, too bright and not enough weight to the sound. But like I said, it was an early unit so maybe that’s not fair. The Lindell is smooth sounding but doesn’t offer a whole lot of control. I think my favorite has actually been the compressor side of the 6176! Go figure...
But the truth is I really need to use my M76 more. It does sound good!

Built like a tank, that’s for sure. And the packing job was very nice, which is unfortunately rare.
I’ve packed gear for a living, I’m extremely careful and meticulous. When I receive gear shipments I’m usually disappointed. But the M76 was packed correctly. FWIW.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I have a revive la4 mod and it's awesome
How are you using your La4? These can be had for cheap. I’ve almost pulled the trigger a few times. I’ve looked at the schematics and the silverface is the one I’d like to snatch. It has the 4136 opamp but that’s an easy fix with the browndog adapters.

Brian
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
How are you using your La4? These can be had for cheap. I’ve almost pulled the trigger a few times. I’ve looked at the schematics and the silverface is the one I’d like to snatch. It has the 4136 opamp but that’s an easy fix with the browndog adapters.

Brian
I use it like we did at sigma..for over 30 years there it was used on every vocal session

Last edited by Sigma; 15th February 2019 at 05:47 PM..
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
In use it like we did at sigma..for over 30 years there it was used on every vocal session
That was my guess. I was pretty sure I’d seen you post that before. Thank you for confirming.

Brian
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear
I've got a Revive modded Focusrite Isa Two and it sounds super smooth. Used it on vocals and sax so far
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Revive

I realize this post/topic deal hasn't had much going on for a bit, but I was messing with the Revive Audio website's samples of the wa76 stock vs their mod. Only the 1st 2 samples...I pulled the 1st 2 samples into Cubase because I just wanted to make sure the levels were the same and not playing tricks on me.

I have nothing to say about Revive...They have always answered all of my questions really quick and seem like nice guys.

I put both tracks in and listened and was able to pick up a tad more body/weight to the kick drum on their mod'd unit. So for the sake of experimenting I added .5 db of a low shelf at 100hz on the non mod'd track with the stock Cubase eq and wow! it made the kick much bigger and weightier than both versions

I just wanted to share that...it really doesn't mean anything one way or the other, but to me I think it showed me that #1 Revive's Mods DO add something to the units and #2 how a super subtle touch of a freq can have a significant impact on a sound...I don't know if it made me want to get my WA76 Mod'd or not...Just really interesting. Thought I would share

I wonder if I get so caught up in "does it sound as good as 'X'" that I miss how it ACTUALLY sounds and how that sound can benefit my workflow/project
That's what I got out of it anyway
Old 11th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesbg View Post
I realize this post/topic deal hasn't had much going on for a bit, but I was messing with the Revive Audio website's samples of the wa76 stock vs their mod. Only the 1st 2 samples...I pulled the 1st 2 samples into Cubase because I just wanted to make sure the levels were the same and not playing tricks on me.

I have nothing to say about Revive...They have always answered all of my questions really quick and seem like nice guys.

I put both tracks in and listened and was able to pick up a tad more body/weight to the kick drum on their mod'd unit. So for the sake of experimenting I added .5 db of a low shelf at 100hz on the non mod'd track with the stock Cubase eq and wow! it made the kick much bigger and weightier than both versions

I just wanted to share that...it really doesn't mean anything one way or the other, but to me I think it showed me that #1 Revive's Mods DO add something to the units and #2 how a super subtle touch of a freq can have a significant impact on a sound...I don't know if it made me want to get my WA76 Mod'd or not...Just really interesting. Thought I would share

I wonder if I get so caught up in "does it sound as good as 'X'" that I miss how it ACTUALLY sounds and how that sound can benefit my workflow/project
That's what I got out of it anyway
yeah i finished the project without any of the mods on the warm gear. As i mix i can hear the comparison of the real versions vs warm versions. You can get some amazing records done with the warm stuff. But that 5-10% diff is audible. Ill post some clips once i get mine modded.

FOR me, working on consecutive projects, you look to deliver a consistent sound. my first project was recorded in a studio with amazing acoustics, great converters, all sorts of outboard hardware. The chain was a vintage u87 > manley pre > Distressor> Burl B2.
For this project the resources were much more limited. So the reason i look for equipment to sound like x, y,z is I look for consistency thru out my catalog in terms of sound, and sonic color if u will. I track with auto tune. And it really has a diff sound thru diff mics and preamps.
I think with my most recent project i did really capture a sound that is now its own in terms of crafting a sonic color.
For me as a musician i value creating my own sonic signature and id def encourage you to do the same man. Modded or un-modded u can really make some great music with warm stuff......IM GETTING THOSE MODS THO! lol
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mequaz View Post
yeah i finished the project without any of the mods on the warm gear. As i mix i can hear the comparison of the real versions vs warm versions. You can get some amazing records done with the warm stuff. But that 5-10% diff is audible. Ill post some clips once i get mine modded.

FOR me, working on consecutive projects, you look to deliver a consistent sound. my first project was recorded in a studio with amazing acoustics, great converters, all sorts of outboard hardware. The chain was a vintage u87 > manley pre > Distressor> Burl B2.
For this project the resources were much more limited. So the reason i look for equipment to sound like x, y,z is I look for consistency thru out my catalog in terms of sound, and sonic color if u will. I track with auto tune. And it really has a diff sound thru diff mics and preamps.
I think with my most recent project i did really capture a sound that is now its own in terms of crafting a sonic color.
For me as a musician i value creating my own sonic signature and id def encourage you to do the same man. Modded or un-modded u can really make some great music with warm stuff......IM GETTING THOSE MODS THO! lol

Haha!! Even after my little experiment I'm kicking around getting my WA-2A done...that was funny...

I completely get where you are coming from. I did some tracks in a nice studio with great gear and my vocals sounded great. I was always chasing that until I wasn't. I remember a guy who worked at a spot we would rehearse at would always talk about how much he like indie recordings because there was so much personality and so little business and the sound of recordings all needing to be "X" to sell. Stuck with me. I think for myself I am always chasing the very best it can be and I think that I let that get into my head which distracts me from the art...anyway...good post
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey I just wanted to share my true WA76 Revive Audio Mod's and 1176LN comparisons. Well, I sold both of my WA76's after I used and purchased my friends Universal Audio 1176LN! And yes, I just purchased and received another used 1176LN on Tuesday! These things are magical! The mod's tremendously improved the noise floor, smooth compression, gain and overall sound. However, my friend finally offered to sell be his after I tried it on a mix that I had just completed. I substituted the 1176LN for the Revive Audio Modded WA76 and I was blown away by even more improvement. The 1176LN may have a tad less gain but what it does is amazing!
So, I'm selling both of my Revive Audio WA2A's to get a Teletronix LA2A! If you're interested private message me!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar012001 View Post
Hey I just wanted to share my true WA76 Revive Audio Mod's and 1176LN comparisons. Well, I sold both of my WA76's after I used and purchased my friends Universal Audio 1176LN! And yes, I just purchased and received another used 1176LN on Tuesday! These things are magical! The mod's tremendously improved the noise floor, smooth compression, gain and overall sound. However, my friend finally offered to sell be his after I tried it on a mix that I had just completed. I substituted the 1176LN for the Revive Audio Modded WA76 and I was blown away by even more improvement. The 1176LN may have a tad less gain but what it does is amazing!
So, I'm selling both of my Revive Audio WA2A's to get a Teletronix LA2A! If you're interested private message me!
That's very interesting...I was reading another few posts of yours and it seemed like you loved the Revive modded gear...so the 1176's are really that much better? I personally have never used one and I only mix my own music so I'm not "needing" the UA version necessarily, but am interested in what you feel is better. Also with the La2A vs the modded Wa2A.

I recently picked up a Rev A from Audio-Scape and haven't had much time to really get into it. I will say if I could do it again I would get the Audio Scape La2a vs the Warm simply based on the attention to detail Audio Scape has with their products...I don't know, but I would speculate their La2a would prob hang better than the Wa2a with the Teletronix, but I have never used a real La2a, just the Wa2a. I haven't even A/B'd the Warm 1176 with the Audio Scape 1176 because they are different revs, but I got both of them for tracking vocals...so far I like both, but will prob use the Audio Scape 1176 more now honestly,

I'm curious to your opinion of the UA stuff vs the warm and why you feel it is a better way for you to go to
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
I thought it worth mentioning here. I sent both a Klark teknik dn500, and a GAP comp 54 for an audio path upgrade. When i received them both were malfunctioning. The GAP doesn’t pass any audio at all, and the DN 500 only works in Mono with the stereo link in the right channel doesn t work. I could chalk it up to fluke, or coincidence that this was the case. But i thought if they were claiming to upgrade the signal path they would at least test the units before sending them back. It cost me 180 dollars to ship and they’re answer was. “The units could have had problems before they came in.” My thoughts were, would have been nice to know when I had a professional have them up on the bench.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search